• Brave Bootlegger   1 day 11 hours ago

4 out 5. Interesting favors, considering I subbed out Crater rye for the Rittenhouse as I'd just finished off the last of the orphan bottle we had. Also needed to eyeball some Zaya 12year and a little Creme de cacao and I doubt Mozart anything will be available in Hawaii anytime soon. (somehow we survive)

• Corpse Reviver #2   1 day 16 hours ago

This is my in-laws' favorite cocktail. I made it for them once and they loved it so much that they bought all the ingredients and my father-in-law now has a card with the recipe printed on it so he can get it made at any bar they go to.

Lesson: make this for people who don't drink a lot of cocktails.

• Georgita   3 days 20 hours ago

Made this last night with Rothman's apricot liqueur. Can't compare it to the peach liqueur version as don't have on hand, but the apricot version was tasty.

• Frontier Psychiatrist   5 days 8 min ago

Perhaps this should be served in a coconut, no?

• Bitter Elder   5 days 18 hours ago

Oh, fellas and ladies...this is one hellllllllllluvvva drink! Did it with Bombay, half Aperol half Campari. Awesome color, fantastic flava!

We have a restaurant here in Chicago called Parsons, they specialize in fried chicken and fish, and feature a totally fantastic Frozen Negroni. I'ma ask them if they'd consider putting a batch of these through their frosty machine! It'd be perfect.

• Frontier Psychiatrist   5 days 23 hours ago

You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!

• Frontier Psychiatrist   5 days 23 hours ago

This boy needs therapy.

• Tombstone   1 week 2 days ago

Another good one, Rafa. Ilegal is about the best mezcal I can get here. It's not bad by any means, but I bet the drink is spectacular with a really good one.

• Paper Mill   1 week 3 days ago

Moderated this slightly - specified Cynar as the Amaro, specified brand of lemon bitters.

Zachary

• Tombstone   1 week 4 days ago

Nice! This has all my favorite things. I didn't have a Laphroaig like Scotch. Used Aberlour A'Bunadh which is all carmel, no smoke, but that tasted really good too.

• Campari Swizzle   1 week 5 days ago

I sub'd Punt e Mes 3:1 with (rather oxidized) red wine for the chinato to good effect. Sensational cocktail.

• Trick Dog's Scorpio   1 week 5 days ago

Updated with proper recipe.

• Shattered Glasser   2 weeks 1 day ago

Name updated from "Airbag" to how it appears in the Death & Co book, a nod to Avery Glasser, who inspired the drink.

• Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   2 weeks 2 days ago

What if you're in the southern hemisphere?

• Remember the Maine, or McKinley's Delight   2 weeks 3 days ago

PDT Cocktail uses the same recipe (mostly) except for upping the Cherry Heering to 1/2 oz (1 Tbl or 3 tsp).

I also like adding a dash of bitters, in particular The Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas bitters.

• Paloma   2 weeks 4 days ago

We go both ways on this one, depending on what we have on hand

2 oz Blanco tequila
    2 oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice
    ½ oz Agave Nectar
    1½ oz Club soda

OR

2 oz Blanco tequila
    3½ oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
    ½ oz Lime Juice

• Stinger   2 weeks 4 days ago

I usually use a 3-to-1 ratio of cognac to Crème de Menthe, such as 2 1/4 oz Cognac to 3/4 oz of Crème de Menthe.

• I Am... I Said   3 weeks 18 hours ago

I feel like this would be quite refreshing on a hot August night.

• Maple Old Fashioned   3 weeks 20 hours ago

I make a variation of this with Cornelius Applejack, which is aged in ex-bourbon barrels lending it more of a whiskey profile than a brandy one. Works really well with the maple syrup.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   3 weeks 1 day ago

That's very close to the recipe I use:

1 oz Jamaican dark rum (Apple Estate V/X or Reserve or 12 yr OR Smith & Cross)
    1 oz Rhum agricole (at least somewhat aged)
    1 oz Lime juice
    1⁄2 oz Curacao (Creole Shrubb OR Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao)
    1⁄2 oz Orgeat
    1 tsp Simple syrup (made from turbinado or other raw/unrefined sugar, if possible)
    1 spg Mint (as garnish)

Optional: 1⁄2 oz float of high-proof dark rum

A touch more lime juice, more orgeat, and less sugar syrup than the posted recipe, with an optional high-proof float.

• Attorney Privilege   3 weeks 1 day ago

Used Hella bitters instead of Angostura. If it works for an Old Fashioned...?

• Penicillin   3 weeks 2 days ago

The source you can use is Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app. I know that the recipe in the app calls for shaking all ingredients, including the Islay scotch, but I've had this drink at Milk&Honey and they definitely use it as a float. It's also garnished with a candied or fresh piece of ginger. Thanks!

• Penicillin   3 weeks 2 days ago

Fransos,

Do you have a source for that? If so, I can rewrite the drink, but considering it's a major shift, I'd like to be able to link to something.

Zachary

• Penicillin   3 weeks 2 days ago

It must be said that the sweetener spec in the original is a bit different, and this is crucial for making this drink as it was intended to be. It's supposed to be a sweetened ginger juice and honey syrup(3:1 honey to water) combined in equal parts(3/8 oz of each) to make a 3/4 oz of sweet. The sweetened ginger juice is 4 parts fresh ginger juice to 3 parts granulated white sugar, stirred to make a syrup. The Islay scotch shall be used as a float on top to give a smoky nose and should not be shaken with the rest of the ingredients. The idea is to give the impression of a smoky drink, but when you sip it it's actually more mellow.

• Oaxaca Old Fashioned   3 weeks 3 days ago

So they list it without mole bitters? I don't have the book...