• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   1 hour 31 min ago

Looking at the proportions, I was worried that this would be too sweet, but of course I was wrong to worry, as this is magically delicious. The balance is perfect.

• Reply to: Oliveto   by   6 hours 52 min ago

Velvety smooth, a big hit among guests. 1/2 an egg white is enough (and this makes it easier if you're mixing two at once).

The result is quite a few ounces so use a larger coupe/cocktail glass or pour a splash for yourself. You definitely don't want to risk any overflow as the olive oil makes everything slippery and sticks around.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   1 day 5 hours ago

<br />I'm surprised that this drink was posted two years ago and, until now, no one has commented on it or rated it. This is a lovely, tasty drink, whose ingredients blend together well dispite being so disparate. There is not, for example, the marked bitterness associated with Campari or gin's Juniiper. But the sweet vermouth makes its presence known dispite its relatively small quantity. For this drink I used all top-shelf brands: Tanqueray Malacca gin, Contratto sweet vermouth, Character (a medium dry Amontillado sherry by Sandeman), and, of course, Campari. For those who are not fond of a dry sherry taste, I dscovered by accident that using only 1 1/4 oz of Amontillado results in a somewhat sweeter, but still delicious cocktail. Imbibe!

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   2 days 9 hours ago

A tasty variation I've seen called the Paper Mache subs cachaca and Averna for the bourbon and Nonino.

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   3 days 12 hours ago

Tonight I tried a Perfect Manhattan with Bulleit Rye, Vermouth del Professore Rosso and Vermouth la Canellese along with one dash of Angostura and one dash of Peychaud's. Very nice, indeed.

• Reply to: Boulevardier (Cure version)   by   5 days 13 hours ago

I tried this drink using first the recipe as given, and then I used the recipe with the changes suggest by an unnamed person--substituting Bulleit Rye for the Rittenhouse 100 and Gran Classico for the Compari. My thoughts on the original and revised recipes are as follows: Both recipes were delicious and belong in the cocktail box of anybody who enjoys this kind of cocktail. However, I rated the original recipe as a 4.0 and the revised recipe as a 4.5. Why?

For my taste buds, the revised recipe resulted in a cocktail that was smoother more balanced. Using an over-proof rye such as Rittenhouse 100 results in the rye overwhelming the other ingredients. However, many people like that standout rye taste, and the nice taste and inherent bitterness of Campari. For them, I recommend the original recipe.

Those who enjoy a mellow, smooth, and less bitter drink will prefer the revised recipe using Gran Classico and Bulleit rye. But regardless of which recipe is used, I wholeheartedly recommend this cocktail. Only one's taste preference should dictate the ingredients and recipe to be used.

• Reply to: Spare Parts   by   5 days 17 hours ago

Curated this slightly: moved the IPA syrup instructions to the notes section to avoid line breakage. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Likkle Scratchy   by   1 week 2 hours ago

delicious.  nice one.  where did it come from exactly?

• Reply to: All In   by   1 week 2 days ago

I like it.  Not sure about the instruction to discard the peel - certainly with Rittenhouse 100 as the rye there's no need to be delicate!

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   1 week 3 days ago

Excellent cocktail. One of my recent favorites. Note: It's not good when you run out of Irish whiskey and try to sub in blended scotch.

• Reply to: Ce Acatl   by   1 week 3 days ago

A very tasty cocktail; sweet but not too sweet and slightly tart. All of the flavors blend together to make a cocktail that can easily become one's favorite. I did not include a dash of Luxardo Maraschino as suggested in a prior comment. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it can improve what is already a great drink. My fear is that the Luxardo might overwhelm the balance of flavors. But, keeping an open mind, I will try it. Who knows--maybe it can be fixed even though it's not broken!

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   1 week 5 days ago

Rob,

I'm partial to the 114, which should be in everyone's cabinet. In summer, though, I like Bulleit's rye, which is fresh/green and flowery.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bourbon After the Act   by   1 week 5 days ago

A thoughtful read in re bourbon, perhaps my favorite spirit. But lest your story of super premium bourbon à la Pappy scare anyone off, good old BIB Old Grand Dad at its modest price point still exists, and as a bonded bourbon with noticeable spicy rye in its mashbill I declare it the most excellent and succulent bourbon there be. Just don't tell anyone it is that good, or it might be more difficult to buy.

• Reply to: The Petunia   by   1 week 6 days ago

Curated this. Added butterfly pea powder that the citation calls for and makes the drink weirdly blue-purple (like a Petunia). Added year estimate. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   2 weeks 5 hours ago

I thought the same when I saw the recipe (though it's worth noting that the quantity of simple is cut down here). If I get around to some A/B testing I'll report back!

• Reply to: Last Word   by   2 weeks 13 hours ago

Substitute St. Germain for the Luxardo and you have 'La Lumiere'

• Reply to: Cynar Toronto   by   2 weeks 14 hours ago

The simple in this makes no sense to me. In a regular Toronto it is used because there is relatively little sugar in Fernet. But Cynar has lots of sugar. Might be better without added syrup.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks.

• Reply to: Griotte Fizz   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this slightly - took the extraneous 'i' from Griotte. Added the club soda and estimated the amount. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Gold Rush   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Curated  this: per a user comment, I found the drink in the PDT book and changed rye to Elijah Craig (they call for the now non-existent 12 year), the honey syrup from 1/2 to 1 and the lemon juice from 1/2 to 3/4. Updated source cite, author and date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Blind Lemon Jefferson   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Identical to TJ Siegals(Milk&Honey) modern classic, the Gold Rush from 2001, except for the addition of orange bitters and the garnish.

• Reply to: Nirvana   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Made this (or something like it) using 1 oz CioCiaro + 1/4 oz Campari for bitterness in place of the Amer Picon.  Not sure how it compares to the true Boudreau version, but quite tasty.

• Reply to: Blind Lemon Jefferson   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Delightful. I used Rye instead of bourbon because I worried about it being too sweet. It was perfect with rye.

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

As do I. I have a whole list of potential drink names that are just phrases I find annoying or overly common. Stay tuned for "Social Liberal Fiscal Conservative" and "Short On The Sides Long On Top."

• Reply to: Everything But Rap & Country   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Great name, even though I love both.