• Reply to: The Moonlight Cocktail   by   4 hours 12 min ago

Good, but it needed a little more gin and some orange bitters to really bring it together.

• Reply to: Pisco Patio   by   21 hours 6 min ago

Delicious on a hot summer evening! Didn't have grapefruit bitters; orange bitters worked nicely. Thanks for this recipe!

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   1 day 6 min ago

I carefully followed the recipe for "Don't Give Up the Ship," but I have to agree with two users who suggested less Fernet Brana. Both suggested only 1/4 oz instead of 1/2 oz. Using 1/2 oz of Fernet Branca overwhelms the other ingredients. I enjoy Fernet Branca in cocktails, but in this case, I believe more people would enjoy the drink by reducing the Fernet Branca to 1/4 to 1/3 oz. As is, I rated this drink at 3.5.

NOTE: I used Bombay Sapphire gin. Tanqueray gins tend not to be very "Juniper-forward."

• Reply to: A More Perfect Union   by   1 day 5 hours ago

<br />Well, with summer nearly over, a great many of you have missed a great summer drink, one that you can drink several of without getting bombed (because of the preponderanace of Lillet Blanc), and enjoy the nice mixture of fruit flavors (thanks for the apricot liqueur and the grapefruit zest. I waivered between rating it 4.0 or 4.5. I'll leave it to you, who may rate it 5.0. Regardless, imbibe and enjoy, summer or autumn!

• Reply to: Too Much Too Little Too Late   by   2 days 36 min ago

For fans of the Negroni and its many variants, this is the drink to drink! It's slightly sweet with the Cocchi Americano blending together with the Apricot liqueur. And there's just a tad of bitterness from the Gran Classico. As for the gin, I used Tanqueray Bloomsbury, a floral London Dry Gin that I, personally, like just a little more than Tanqueray Ten. And instead of Angostura Orange bitters, I used (on a whim) a dash of Blood Orange bitters by Bittermens. I don't think anything I did could make this drink taste any better-- it's a great drink on its own. If you don't believe me, try it! Especially all you Negroni lovers.

• Reply to: Montauk (NoMad)   by   2 days 20 hours ago

Very nice. I had some navy strength gin of my own construction, which happened to have spent some time in a small barrel. Worked well.

• Reply to: Professional   by   4 days 4 min ago

<br />Two users made comments about Smith & Cross overproofed rum being satisfactory, but no comment about the bourbon used in the making of The Professional. That's too bad because I believe the taste of this drink will, to a great extent, also be determined by the bourbon used. Some bourbons can be mild and mellow (e.g., Makers' Mark), while other bourbons may have a stronger, heavier taste (e.g., Bulleit Bourbon). Then, too, one needs to consider the proof of the bourbon. With these thoughts in mind, I put together The Professional consisting of Smith & Cross rum (114 proof), Elijah Craig bourbon (114 proof), and Campari (48 proof).

The combination of rum and bourbon I used for my first-ever taste of The Professional, I rated as 4.0. I suspect that using a lighter and mellower bourbon, such as Makers' Mark, will result in a cocktail that will be rated differently. So my cautionary note is: Pick carefully BOTH the bourbon and the rum you will be using in this cocktail. Your choices may well make or break your liking of what I think is a very good cocktail.

• Reply to: The Reanimator   by   4 days 3 hours ago

The Reanimator is an interesting drink, with only two ingredients, aside from the garnish, which is for taste, more than color or prettiness. There was no suggestion as to the rye to use, so I chose WhistlePig (10 years) because it is a soft and mellow rye, with a distinctive taste. Another reason I chose WhistlePig is that I didn't want a rye, such as Rittenhouse, that would overwhelm the Amaro Nonino and spoil the drink. For those who don't like WhistlePig rye or can't afford it, I believe a brand of rye in the 80-90 proof range, such as Wild Turkey rye or Sazerac, will work well. The Reanimator is a superb evening drink, which will be quickly appreciated by rye drink lovers.

• Reply to: Long Island Old Fashioned   by   4 days 5 hours ago

This one was very surprising. I think the multi-liquor concoctions work better with more dilution than the old fashioned template offers...especially for initial enjoyment.

I made this with ingredients that I enjoy sipping straight (red breast, rutte old simon, espalon, paul masson vsop) , but it was pretty terrible initially: overly sweet and funky in a bad way. 1-starred it.

As the rock melted, it finally opened up and mingled & became much more approachable.  It became a great sipper. Changed to a 3 star, though considered higher.

I'd make again, but would probably eschew the template by adding a bit of water or soda from the get go. And cut the demerara syrup.

• Reply to: La Fin du Mot   by   4 days 6 hours ago

Excellent, though I think it works best with a little more gin and a bit less Suze.

• Reply to: Bonsoni   by   4 days 20 hours ago

On a user tip, I merged the "Kill or Cure" into the Bonsoni - typically, I'd prefer the oldest instance of a drink to get credit. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bonsoni   by   5 days 5 hours ago

This is the same as Kill or Cure that has been on the site since 2013, but this version's attribution information is better.

It appears in Beta (née Rogue) Cocktails, where Punt e Mes is recommended.

• Reply to: Bottecchia   by   5 days 19 hours ago

Decent, but the flavors didn't really blend together when made as described. Adding about 30ml of apple brandy brought it together pretty nicely though.

• Reply to: Archipelago Swizzle   by   1 week 5 hours ago

Can the recipe be updated? If you refer to the source it calls for 1/2 oz of vanilla syrup and 1/4 oz of falernum. I cut back as per the previous comment to 1/4 and 1/4 and think the original strikes the right balance here. Will make this again soon!

• Reply to: The Pledge   by   1 week 3 days ago

Curated this drink - from a user comment, I reverted this to the original recipe at the cited link and added the substitutions in the notes. Also, I cleaned up the instructions, added the garnish and date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Pledge   by   1 week 3 days ago

Having been served in North Carolina an un-named cocktail containing inter alia Rye, Chartreuse, and Averna, I searched for similar confections, and found The Pledge at the cited source.

I made both the original version, and the adaptation described above - although I made both with Bulleit Rye.

I think the two drinks are sufficiently different, that the original version should be listed here as The Pledge, and the version posted here in 2014 be given a slightly different name, or listed as a variant.

The Benedictine version was both smoother and sharper than the Averna version, which seemed to be richer and less herbal. The mouth feel of the original version is more substantial, also.

I thought both versions were good, and I will probably make one or the other again, at some point.

• Reply to: Expatriate   by   1 week 4 days ago

Good. Benefits from more dilution than I would have guessed, given the relatively low ABV.

• Reply to: Kingston Negroni   by   1 week 5 days ago

<br />What a drink! Incredible in taste, and easy going down. I've imbibed the traditional Negroni, and I can't count all of its variations I've swallowed. Most were either good or very good. But this one is the best of them all. Even though the Smith & Cross rum is overproofed, it blends unbelieveabley well with the Campari and Vermouth. For the vermouth I used Vya sweet, a topshelf vermouth I have been using for years. I have the Carpano, and I will be using it the next time I make a Kingston Negroni--which will be within 8 hours. For those looking for a new mixology adventure, this is the one to take. Enjoy!

• Reply to: Hibernating Bear   by   1 week 5 days ago

Made with Ketel 1 Granjenever and Old Krupnik. Upped the Genever to 2oz and garnished with a lemon wedge. Lovely!

• Reply to: The Vanishing Point   by   1 week 5 days ago

Tastes pretty lifeless as written. I added 15 mL of cynar, which helped spice things up, but it's still missing something.

• Reply to: The Departed   by   1 week 6 days ago

Like many drinkers, I'm not terribly fond of heavily peated drinks, but "The Departed," I found to be within my level of tolerance for peated drinks. As a result, this drink more than tolerable, but actually enjoyable. The Campari was able to assert itself over the Mezcal, and the El Dorado 15 (which I used), provided some appreciable sweetness, and the orange zest gave a nice, contrasting flavor to the drink (in hindsight, I wish I had added more orange zest than I did).

Overall, I found this drink to have many flavors that worked together to provide the drinker with a memorable drink, which I rated at 4.0. In short, "The Departed" should have a long life, and give a lot of pleasure to those who enjoy a better than average drink.

• Reply to: Bishdogg#1   by   1 week 6 days ago

An interesting drink, but one I would like to tinker with in the future to improve it. For example, I used St. George terrior gin, which has 12 botonicals that have a heavy taste (e.g., Douglas fir, CA Bay laurel, fennel, and juniper berries among others). I would like to try a lighter, more flowery gin like Tanqueray Ten or Citadelle.

For a vermouth, I used Vya, a topshelf sweet vermouth. I would like to try Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, which is both sweet and amazingly tasty. I would also like to try Vermut, a Spanish vermouth, which is neither sweet nor dry, but long on taste.

Finally, I would like to try several different garnish options. I drank this with no garnish, and thought something was needed. I tried a small amount of lemon zest, and thought it tasted better. I then added orange zest to the lemon zest (the first time I have ever done so), and thought it was a definite improvement.

So much to do, so little time to do it all. But I will. In summary, I rated Bishdogg #1 at 3.5. I think that with some modifications, it will be rated fairly consistently at 4.0, maybe even 4.5

• Reply to: All Good Things   by   2 weeks 4 hours ago

A great drink, but one that is heafty in taste; after all, look at the ingredients--rye whiskey (100 proof), anejo tequila (80 proof), and yellow chartreuese (80 proof). The other ingredients add their own distinctive tastes, even though only a small amount is used (except for the sweet vermouth). Fortunately, all of these ingredients blend together well. But for me, the lynch pin of this cocktail was the orange twist (I used a fair amount); its taste overcame much of the bitterness that would have been there without orange twist. I believe All Good Things makes one of those excellent before dinner cocktails.

• Reply to: Manhattan (Bénédictine)   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

For myself, I find 1/2 oz of Benedictine overwhelms the Maker's Mark bourbon. My suggestion: (1) Make the drink according to the recipe, but add only 1/4 oz of Benedictine for start; add more to suit your taste OR (2) Make the drink according to the recipe, but add 2 1/4 oz of Maker's Mark bourbon, and add more to suit your taste.

For myself, I adjusted the recipe by adding a little more than a 1/4 oz of Maker's Mark. Unadjusted, I would rate it a four. After adjusting the drink by adding 1/4 /oz bourbon, I rated the Manhattan with Benedictine at a 4.5. This drink might also benefit from an orange twist.

• Reply to: Rob Roy 2   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Not being a lover of peated drinks, but having an unopened 375 ml bottle of Johnny Walker Black on the shelf, I decided on a whim to try the Rob Roy 2--mostly because I like the traditional Rob Roy.

My thoughts on the drink? Not bad! Not great, but definitely not bad. The peat comes through despite the Punt e Mes, the orange bitters, and the lemon twist. People who enjoy peated cocktails will, in my opinion, enjoy this drink--especially late at night. Maybe that's why I rated it 4.0. It's now 11:20 PM, about another 40 minutes before bedtime.