• Reply to: Amaro Sour   by   3 days 8 hours ago

Agreed with Christina - reducing St Germain to 3/4 oz is an improvement, as is muddling the cherries before shaking. I also prefer it with Tanqueray instead of Plymouth. Very good as written but excellent with those changes!

• Reply to: Roman Holiday 2   by   3 days 10 hours ago

This is nice, if not a bit sweet.  I might cut the simple to 1/4 oz to test it.

• Reply to: Venetian   by   3 days 12 hours ago

I used Cynar instead of Campari and Lillet Blanc instead of dry vermouth and it was pretty good

• Reply to: Double Punch   by   5 days 18 hours ago

Curated this. Changed instructions to reflect the cited link.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Double Punch   by   6 days 4 hours ago

Suggested edit: According to the reference the Instructions should read: Mix with 3 quick shakes; pour over ice in a rocks glass and garnish with grapefruit. The current instructions are to serve up.

• Reply to: Pocket Square   by   6 days 12 hours ago

Deliciously bitter. My wife won't stop taking sips.

• Reply to: Casino   by   1 week 3 days ago

There are a few different ratios used for this cocktail, but I believe the Savoy calls for 2 dashes (1/8 oz or so) each on the maraschino and lemon juice, not 3/4 oz.

• Reply to: After Coffee   by   1 week 4 days ago

Really nice.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   1 week 4 days ago

It is an odd instruction.  Tried the drink last night with a mist of absinthe in the serving glass and I still think it got lost.  Not a bad drink overall, through.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   1 week 5 days ago

I suppose it depends on what your definition of a drop is - I can't see how a drop of anything would coat the inside of a mixing glass (or be noticeable through an ounce of spirit and an ounce of amaro). From what I can tell, 6 drops = 1 dash, though a dash isn't a very specific sort of measurement.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   1 week 5 days ago

Looks to me like the referenced recipe calls for one *drop*, rather than one dash, of absinthe, to rinse the mixing glass.

That's the alternative given to misting the mixing glass with absinthe.

(As an aside, I don't quite get the point of doing such a rinse on the mixing vessel.)

• Reply to: Single Father's Day   by   1 week 5 days ago

Really? The combination sounds interesting, but I can't imagine wanting more than 1/2 oz blackberry juice.

• Reply to: Ragtime   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this. Removed note and rewrote instructions to avoid copyright issues. Clarified instructions to match our guidelines to the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Gilded Mezcal

I used closer to 1 ounce of fresh lemon juice and stirred with two two ice cubes before straining and serving up in a coupe. Amazingly delicious!

• Reply to: Juarez   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Exquisite

I stirred with one ice cube and garnished with a single dark cherry.

• Reply to: Fresca   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

Curated this slightly. As per http://www.urbaneapts.com/blog/2012/08/02/an-old-fashioned-way-to-keep-cool-at-the-oakland/ - changed Chartreuse to Yellow Chartreuse, added date, changed type to "own creation" Thanks,  Zachary.

• Reply to: Shade Saver   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

I like the balance between the ingredients. I changed it from 3/4 oz of simple syrup to 1 Tbsp of sugar (a bit less) since bourbon and applejack are already pretty sweet. I also think that muddling the coriander, sugar, a dash of water, and bitters together did a better job of releasing the coriander taste, though it was more work.

• Reply to: Hugo Montenegro   by   3 weeks 4 hours ago

Flavors are very reminiscent of a Negroni, but obviously derived from distinct spirits. I used silver tequila (Corralejo Blanco) since age wasn't specified, and I think it stood up well to the other ingredients. Described by my drinking partner as "refreshing", and I agree - almost dangerously smooth. Would make it again. Another tasty drink by Stew.

• Reply to: The Bitter Venetian   by   3 weeks 4 hours ago

Nice use of the Amaro Nonio, plays up the orange notes. Might be nice on the rocks on a hot day.

• Reply to: Ancho and Lefty   by   3 weeks 9 hours ago

I didn't care for it, the vermouth and the mezcal don't play very well together in my opinion; leave an acrid flavor at the end.

• Reply to: JDP   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Decrease maraschino to 1/2 oz, up apricot liqueur to 3/4 oz

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Thanks very much, it was neat to be added a second time in 2 years.  I recommend trying this with other more "traditional" aquavit as well.  Cheers!

• Reply to: Upped Ante   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

I won't lie - it's bitter as hell. On purpose. :)

• Reply to: Miraflores   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

Good drink but just a tad sweet for me.  Maybe another 1/4 oz more lime juice and .75oz grapefruit juice?

• Reply to: Boulevard des Rêves   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

Made this tonight with Old Grand Dad 114 because that's the highest-proof bourbon I have. Love it!