• Reply to: Jungle Bird   by   1 day 9 hours ago

I have a slight preference for 1.5:1.5:0.75:0.5:0.5 ratio (possibly even slightly less juice or simple).

Smith+Cross, alone, would overpower. But 1 oz Barbancourt or even Goslings with a 1/2 oz of S+C is tasty.

I prefer this version over the variants that call for passionfruit syrup and/or pineapple rum.

• Reply to: Dorflinger   by   1 day 10 hours ago

What an odd name for a cocktail. It turns out that "Dor" is Gaelic for turd. So there you have it: Turd flinger!

On a more serious note, I considered the ratios of the ingredients, and decided to be cautious about how much Absinthe to use. I chose St George's Terroir Gin, knowing it could stand up to the absinthe. For the absinthe, I picked St George's Absinthe Verte (by the way, St George's products are outstanding).

I poured 2 oz gin, but only 1/4 oz Absinthe. The gin came through, as did the Absinthe (but lightly so). I added 1/8 oz, and perfecto! I then added two dashes of Fee Bros' gin-barrel aged Orange Bitters (a relatively new product). Not enough, so I added two more dashes. Better, but it needed a sharper citrus taste. I used an orange twist; not enough (maybe flame it next time), and then used a lemon twist. Home at last!

The final recipe I suggest for 'Dorflinger' is: 2 oz of gin, 3/8 oz absinthe, 4 dashes orange bitters (might consider lemon bitters), one orange twist, and one lemon twist. I rated the cocktail between 3.0 and 3.5. Worth making and drinking. Some, however, may prefer a lighter hand on the Absinthe, use only 1/4 oz. Personally, I caution against using more than 1/2 oz absinthe; all of the other tastes will be swallowed up.

Needless to say, I will be tinkering with this libation over the next several weeks (e.g., I will try a softer gin, such as Tanqueray Ten). Meanwhile, drink and enjoy, but drink responsibly.

Note: Considering that I totally revamped the "Dorflinger" recipe, from top to bottom, I am naming my version of "Dorflinger," as "Dorflinger Revisited.

• Reply to: Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned)   by   2 days 11 hours ago

If you're looking for a man's drink, the Italian Rivalry (aka Monte Old-Fashioned), look no farther. With its robust flavor from the bourbon (Jim Beam black label), and the exquisite taste of a good cognac (Hennessy Very Special Cognac), combined with brown sugar (light brown, but dark brown may be better) to add some sweetness (but not too much), with the zest oils from an orange and a lemon to counterbalance the flavors. NOTE: 1 tsp of sugar equals one sugar cube.

As you might guess, this drink is complex with its many different flavors. I think you'll enjoy both the breadth and depth of flavors you'll encounter in this drink.

The only decision you'll have to make is whether you want to use light or dark brown sugar. For myself, I was satisfied with light brown sugar (which was the only brown sugar I had). The dark brown sugar is likely to be somewhat sweeter and richer. However, be you woman or man, you'll enjoy this "man's drink."

• Reply to: Manhattan Cocktail No. 1 (Savoy)   by   3 days 5 hours ago

Ooh loved this! Had to do a 1:1 mixture of dry and blanc Dolin as it was all I had. One dash Fee brothers whiskey barrel bitters, 2 dashes Fee orange bitters. One Maraschino cherry, "if preferred v sweet add some maraschino cherry goo" ;-) YUM!

• Reply to: Green Hornet   by   3 days 7 hours ago

<br />Aptly named: It stings like the Green Hornet. Mostly because of the Green Chartreuse. I followed the recipe but found the Chartreuse to be overwhelming, and the Fernet Branca to be close behind.

I added about 1/2 oz more rye (Rittehouse 100) and added two dashes of Fee Bros Black Walnut bitters. I ended up with a 3.5 drink. Within the next week or so, I will use the following recipe: 2 oz Rittenhouse Rye 100, 1/4 oz Fernet Branca, 1/4 oz Green Chartreuse, and 2 dashes of Fee Bros Black Walnut Bitters. I would like to hear what others think about the amount of Green Chartreuse and/or Fernet Branca.

With this drink, personal taste may explain why I needed to make such major changes to end up with a decent drink. I believe the rye should be specified, however. Different ryes bring a different flavor to a drink, as does the rye's proof.

• Reply to: Far Eastern Gimlet (Gin)   by   4 days 5 hours ago

Lovely and drier than expected. Subbed Death's door and lavender bitters, finished with sprig of lavender as garnish.

• Reply to: Harvard Cocktail   by   5 days 13 hours ago

Many historical versions lack the grenadine called for here.  See, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/2msxfz/not_cocktail_of_the_week_98_harvard/

This is a promising "Manhattan with brandy instead of whiskey" & the low rating may be due to the cloying sweetness I'd expect with that much grenadine.

• Reply to: Atta Boy   by   1 week 1 day ago

Decent, but probably needs the exact brand of vinegar to get it right. I tried with a different brand of fig vinegar, and it worked, but it wasn't quite sweet enough and didn't quite feel "all there".

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   1 week 2 days ago

Been making it lately with Sfumato Rabarbaro in place of the Nonino. Also very tasty.

• Reply to: Hurricane   by   1 week 2 days ago

Made with a mix of Zacapa and Smith & Cross, served it up, no mint. Like a fruity and delicious daiquiri-esque thing. Will make again.

• Reply to: Mexican Velvet   by   1 week 2 days ago

Substituted the pineapple syrup for passion fruit syrup and 1 oz of the tequila for mezcal, which made for a very tasty beverage. Might try the original too, sometime. Thanks.

• Reply to: Raven Stag   by   1 week 3 days ago

Made with Salignac VS cognac and Vya vermouth. Really tasty!

• Reply to: Bon Vivant   by   1 week 3 days ago

Solid drink. I would cut back the sweet vermouth to an ounce, though.

• Reply to: Port Light   by   1 week 3 days ago

Smugglers Cove has this as egg white, 2 oz. bourbon, 1 oz. fresh lemon juice, 3/4 oz. honey syrup, 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup.

• Reply to: The Commodore   by   1 week 3 days ago

Isn't this recipe a Commodore #2? According to Martin Doudroffs index of cocktails there are several cocktails including Commodore in their name. Jamie Boudreau is cited as the creator of the recipe written here, but Doudroffs index refers to this book: Albert Stevens Crockett. Old Waldorf Bar Days. Aventine Press. 1931. p. 127.

• Reply to: Sex Panther   by   1 week 5 days ago

Had to try this just because of the name. I like it, though it seems like the Cynar gets lost. I gave it a 3, mainly because blackstrap always comes off a little odd to me.

• Reply to: Man with No Name   by   1 week 6 days ago

I could read 1/2 oz 'agave syrup 1:1 with water' as either a half or a quater oz of each. Tasting the drink, I think it's supposed to be 1/2 oz total - in other words, 1/4 of each. Pleasant drink, though.

• Reply to: Blackthorn English   by   1 week 6 days ago

This recipe seems under-rated. I wonder if it is the ratio or if people are using cheap/terrible sloe gin?

There are, at least, three types of cocktails that vye for the "Blackthorn" name. Sloe berries are the fruit of the Blackthorn tree & this concoction is probably the one that should have the title [though other have (humorously) proposed Irish whiskey-based concoction being credible due to where Blackthorn trees are grown].

This recipe dates to pre-1926 [when it appeared in Bolton's Sideboard]. Dave Arnold's recipe [1.5 oz Plymouth/0.75 sweet vermouth/0.75 sloe gin/2 dashes bitters] is better-balanced than this version.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Too sweet for my liking, however Tanya likes it.

• Reply to: Maiden's Kiss (Improved)   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Drinks with 1/2oz (or more) maraschino are always interesting. It seems very tame in this one. Not bad.

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Tried it with five year old Zuidam genever instead of the rye, but the genever got lost and the drink needs that rye, I think.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

<br />Thanks for bringing to my attention the typo I made. I meant tsp, not ounces. I carefully measured out one and one-half teaspoons. So I still stand by my recommendation to start with less simple syrup than what the recipe calls for. Perhaps many people will prefer one and one-half tsp of simple sugar in this drink. However, I believe most will find it too sweet; hence my suggestion to start of with one tsp of simple syrup, and slowly add more until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. Regardless, I thank you for pointing out the typo I made. I went back and made corrections in the original comment I made yesterday.

<br />
    <p>
    No Leopold Bros gin? Use Tanqueray 10 for a great gin heavy drink. After reading the notes on "Leopold Meeks," and the necessity to use Leopold Bros gin because of its citrusey flavor, I decided to make "Leopold Meeks" using Tanqueray 10 because it is a citrus and botonical heavy gin. I also made one other change. Instead of using Fee grapefruit bitters (which I have), I opted for Bittermens hopped grapefruit bitters.

The outcome? A great gin drink without the traditional juniper berry taste. Not having used Fee's grapefruit bitters, I can't say if my choice to use the hopped grapefruit bitters was better or worse. All I can say is that it made for a great gin drink with a definite citrus bent. I rated my variation on "Leonard Meeks" as a 4.0.

One suggestion: use only 1 tsp of simple syrup and add a small amount until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. For my taste, one and one-half tsp of simple syrup was much too sweet. Finally, I used a large Old Fashion glass, and after rinsing it with the Green Chartreuse, I poured in the liquid ingredients, floated a large ice cube, and then added the lemon twist garnish. The over-sized ice cube kept the drink nice and cold with minimal dilution. This is a drink that many will enjoy, even without the Leopold Bros gin.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

Mojo: The recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of simple :-)

• Reply to: Hot Stinger   by   2 weeks 5 days ago