<br />
    A georgous bourbon negroni-style drink! I rate few drinks as a 5.0, but I rated the Boulevardier (Stagger Lee) as a 5.0 without hesitation. I noticed one user said "First sip screams bitter..." Myself, I made sure to use less than 7/8 oz of Campari, just to avoid issues of bitterness. The same user judged the drink perhaps too sweet toward the end of the drink, and suggested using rye instead of bourbon. I'm guessing the sweetness is due to the Cynar becoming more prominent as the large ice rock melted, and the drink became diluted. I avoided this by simply stirring with ice until cold (~30 seconds) and then pouring the drink into a chilled glass. In other words, I didn't use any ice after stirring. Thus, the drink's taste remained uniform, from beginning to end. And it was great!

• Reply to: Mezcal Martini   by   1 day 53 min ago

Good, but maybe a tad dry for my taste. A dash of orange bitters (I used Regan's) helps.

• Reply to: Juniperotivo   by   2 days 12 hours ago

Looks a bit brown and mucky but tastes lovely!

• Reply to: Summer Hemingway   by   3 days 7 hours ago

I used cinnamon syrup, halved the maraschino, and added 1/2 oz of Falernum.  Delicious.

• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   4 days 6 hours ago

Regarding the prior comments:  Choose your rye carefully; Templeton is light in flavor and sweet. Wild Turkey and Knob Creek, however, have more body. Choose carefully, also, your vermouth. Antica Formula is my favorite vermouth. I used, however, Vermut Negre, a dark but not too sweet vermouth. I then used only two drops of Xocolatl Mole, not three, which was fine. This was the first time I drank this cocktail, but I humbly rank the resultant cocktail at 4.5. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

• Reply to: 86 Long Island Iced Tea   by   4 days 7 hours ago

For those who like a well-made Long Island Ice Tea, beware!. For those who have never had a Long Island Ice Tea and are thinking of trying this to see what it's all about, bewarae! For anyone else who might think about trying this drink, just because...beware! This concoction is not fit for human consumption--unless you're trying to kill off you spouse or ex-spouse. I used all topshelf ingredients--including the lemons. The basic problem is that the lemon juice overwhems all. In addition, a "true" Long Island Ice Tea has contrasting

• Reply to: McCarren Park Swizzle   by   5 days 6 hours ago

Incredible accentuation of the pear eau de vie.  I used st george pear brandy which was phenomenal. The slightly tart finish of the sorel is sheer genius!

• Reply to: Dank Back   by   5 days 10 hours ago

This drink was posted 3 years ago, without a user's comment or rating. I looked at the ingredients, and I thought they should blend together well enough to produce a cocktail that some might find pleasing on a hot, summer day. So... here's the result! The tequila taste is there, but the Aperol rides along with it, blending nicely. As expected the Aperal brings a sweetness to the drink--for those liking a less sweet drink, I suggest using a "fat" 11/2 oz of tequila, or a combination of Aperol and Campari to the drinker's taste. Another option, which often softens the sweetness without making any other change, is to use a lemon twist, instead of the orange garnish. In summary, the Dank Back is a nice, tasty, somewhat sweet tequila drink that will do as a before or after dinner drink, or just a nice pleasant drink on one of those hazey, crazy summer afternoon.

• Reply to: Raton Canyon Cocktail   by   1 week 1 day ago

I can sum it up in three words: A FANTASTIC DRINK! I rated this drink as a five, something I raarely do. I rate a drink when: the drink is relatively easy to fix, and does not take much time to prepare. Also, the ingredients are easy to find, can be used in a variety of drinks (I hate to buy an ingredient that is somewhat pricey--say $30 on up--and is used only for that drink); i.e., the ingredients are versatile, and a will not lanquish on the shelf for years. Also, the drink is inherently tasty, it's not one that you have to "aquire" a taste for. Finally, it's drink that is popular with the general public and had been popular for several decades. Drinks like the martini, or the old fashioned, or the Rob Roy are examples of drinks that I would rate a five, even though I, personally don't care for vodkas. The Raton Canyon Cocktail, in my opinion should justify a five rating: All of the ingredients are easy to find and buy, individually they aren't real expensive, but each one can be used in many different cocktail recipies. It's a very tasty drink, with a variety of ingredients that blend together simply marverously into what I describe as a truly unforgettable. Yes, with no doubt, the Raton Canyon Cocktail is truly a five cocktail. Bottoms up, but slowly, and enjoy a truly unforgettable drink.

• Reply to: All Hail to the Arsenal   by   1 week 2 days ago

<br />For years, a Gin & Tonic has been a standard for me, especially on hot summer days. After drinking "All Hail To The Arsenal" it has taken over that long revered spot. It's more complex in taste: Consider instead of gin, tonic, and lime juice, you now have also more lime juice, Campari, Triple Sec, and Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters. A far more complex drink, indeed. Some may find Camparai's bitterness unpleasant despite the addition of other ingredients. Perhaps reducing the amount of Campari from 1oz to 3/4 oz may do the trick. Others may want to reduce the lime juice to 3/4 oz. I was hesitant to put 1 oz of lime juice, but in my opinion, it worked ouf fine. Try, experiment, and imbibe what I consider to be a fine summer drink.

• Reply to: Scofflaw   by   1 week 4 days ago

Also really liked the version in Imbibe Magazine: http://imbibemagazine.com/the-scofflaw-cocktail-recipe/.

• Reply to: Tipperary (Irish Whiskey)   by   1 week 6 days ago

<br />Two oz of Redbreast!. Like all good Catholics, I said a prayer. After all, I was using one of the best Irish Whiskies known to mankind. I quickly rinsed the glass with the Green Chartreuse and poured it out, then carefully poured in one of the best vermouths (just short of Holy Water), Carpano Antica Formula, next tossed in the three dashes of Fees Bros. bitters, then looked Heavenward, and slowly took hold of the Redbreast, praying I didn't drop the bottle (a surefire one-way trip to Hell) then carefully measured and slowly poured God's gift to Ireland .

Down the amber liquid went, into the glass, nary a splash landed outside the glass. A slow stir to mix it all, and now-- it was ready. But was it all worthy of the Redbreast? I took a very slow...lingering sip. My prayer was answered indeed! This is a cocktail worthy of Redbreast Irish Whiskey. Definitely. Most definitely! You can and should enjoy a Tipperary with my blessing!

• Reply to: Rusty Nail (Nailed to the Skye)   by   2 weeks 4 hours ago

<br /> As that ol' song goes, nice & easy does it! And this drink is definitely nice and easy. The Drambuie puts some body into the drink, and and the blended Scotch and Cocchi Americano lightens things up somewhat. The end result, along with the big ice rock in the middle, topped with orange and lemon twist oils, is a drink that is nice & easy. Definitely a late spring thru early fall drink.

• Reply to: Silver Nail   by   2 weeks 9 hours ago

Lemon bitters sounds like a good call. I was thinking a little bitterness would enhance the Drambuie-heavy finish, but the best option on my shelf was Fee's orange which I thought would alter the flavor too much.

• Reply to: Silver Nail   by   2 weeks 10 hours ago

I found it too sweet with you 1/4 oz lemon juice, so I bumped it to 1/2 oz and added two dashes lemon bitters. I also made it with a mild single malt. A pleasant cocktail.

• Reply to: The Japalac Cocktail   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Curated this slightly - changed "the juice of 1/4 orange" to 1/2 oz orange juice, under the assumption that an orange has 2 ounces of juice. Thanks, Zachary.

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Double strain...

• Reply to: Rusty Automaton   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

I love a good bourbon or rye drink, and this one is very drinkable. It's a good "after work but before dinner" drink. And it's one that is great in the evening after dinner. I'm not sure why the small amount of bourbon--maybe just to appease bourbon drinkers. Regardless, it's a great drink and one that deserves to become a favorite across the U.S.

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Thanks for the compliment Michael.  This is definitely one of my favorite cocktails I've done over the years.  As for the sweetness, originally I used North Shore which has a heavy cumin spice notes to it, so it wasn't intended to be a sweet cocktail, but more savory spiced one.  Since then, I've adapted the recipe to use more balanced Aquavit such as Linie or even Krostad which make it far more accessible to most peoples palates.  Cheers.

• Reply to: Demon of Destiny   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

<br />The instructions need to be clarified on two matters: (1) The instructions say to put all of the ingredients, save for the agave syrup, into a glass mixer and then vigorously shake it. I think if the ingredients are to be vigorously shaken, then they should be put into a metal shaker, not a mixing glass. This will prevent the escape of the minions from Hell! (2) More importantly, what is to be done with the agave syrup that was put into a separate container? The only thing I could come up with is that the agave syrup is to be carefully floated atop of the other ingredients after they have been vigorously shaken. Can anyone clarify what is to be done with the agave syrup? I think the instructions should be rewritten to clarify both issues, but mostly to clarify issue number two, regarding the agave syrup. And I agree that switching the amounts of absinthe and tequila makes a better drink.

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Just made this again with some barrel-aged navy-strength gin of my own devising. Only trouble is, I'd already ranked it a 5 on a previous tasting!

• Reply to: Reverse Vesper   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

<p>
    I was caught by one user's comment that the Reverse Vesper is... "Tastier than the original though maybe too sweet. Worth trying with the gin and vodka proportions switched." I thought there must be a better, perhaps simpler way to make this drink less sweet, so here's what I did and the results.</p>
    <p>
    First, I made the drink using Citadelle Gin, but otherwise did not change the recipe, and found it somewhat sweet, but not overly so. Nevertheless, I used a grapefruit twist, making sure to express a fair amount of oil, and dropped in the twist. Definitely less sweet. Then I added dash of Fee Bros West Indies Orange Bitters. Even better, and I don't think anyone would complain about sweetness now. Nevertheless, I made another drink the same way, except I used one dash of Blood Orange bitters instead of West Indies bitters. I liked this even more. The changes to date: I used Citadelle Gin, a grapefruit twist, and 1-2 dashes of Blood Orange bitters. The result: a complex but smooth cocktail, that was not as sweet as before, with the amounts of vodka and gin unchanged.</p>
    <p>
    Now I decided to change the gin brand but continue to use the grapefruit twist and the Blood Orange bitters, To date, I've been using Valentine Vodka (a topshelf, very smooth vodka). In place of the Citidelle gin, I tried both St. George Terroir Gin and The Botanist Gin (both are botanical gins). Using either gin, along with Valentine Vodka, Blood Orange bitters, and a grapefruit twist made for a very tasty drink, which did not have a "sweetness" to it. In short, if you find the above recipe too sweet, use a grapefruit twist in place of the orange peel. A lemon twist also works well. If available, use Blood Orange bitters (1-2 dashes), and use a botanical gin if you have one--or Tanqueray Ten or Tanqueray Bloomsbury gin.

A long discussion, but I hope some of the suggested changes to create a less sweet cocktail were helpful. Cheers.</p>

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

A very, very nice cocktail. Aquavit can often overpower other ingredients in a cocktail, resulting in a drink with a somewhat unpleasant taste. This recipe overcame that problem with the use of a botanical gin (my two favorites being The Botanist and St. George Terroir Gin; each has a different taste, but both are spectacular) Tonight I used St. George and I also used Blood Orange bitters instead of Regan's No. 6; I also used a grapefruit twist (my twist--no pun intended--as an additional garnish) This cocktail deserves all of the accolades it has received.
    P.S. One user found A Simple Quandary "sweet." If a botanical gin is used, there is no way this cocktail can be sweet; in fact, with the combination of Aquavit and Benedictine, there is no way A Simple Quandary can be "sweet," regardless of the gin used.

• Reply to: 100-Year-Old Cigar   by   3 weeks 2 hours ago

I substituted Ledaig 10 for the whisky and Clément Select Barrel for the rum. This really did capture many of the tastier notes of cigar smoke without being overpoweringly strong in any direction.

• Reply to: Let Me Draw You   by   3 weeks 9 hours ago

I am drawn to you!   Best cocktail ever! As per semper Tempis Fugit forever . I used th St george spiced pear which adds a little kick.  NICE!