• Reply to: Ginger spice   by   3 hours 33 min ago

I'd definitely reduce the cardamom bitters. It can barely smell anything other than that, including the elderflower. I actually love cardamom, but even I find it difficult in this drink.

• Reply to: The San Martin   by   9 hours 34 min ago

"The San Martin" has an unusual taste--not unpleasant--just unusual, and its taste kind of caught me offguard. I love virtually all hard liquors, but my mainstay is gin, and I've had many drinks with a gin and sweet vermouth combination. But this one... I made the drink using Bombay Saphire gin, Vya sweet vermouth, and (of course) 1 tsp of yellow Chartruse. I think it's the yellow Chartruse that's got me bamboozled.

Perhaps a different sweet vermouth will do better (e.g., the ol' standbys, Dolin or Antica Formula). The Chartruse is nicely placed in this drink; barely perceptible, but there. Maybe 1/4 or 1/2 more gin may make for a more satisfying taste and drink. Puzzle this one out for me, please. I did rate the drink at 3.5, however.

• Reply to: Spaghetti Western #2   by   2 days 10 hours ago

"Spaghetti Western #2" is a tasty, easy to enjoy libation. I used Bulleit 10 burbon, which is a tad lighter than Bulleit's standard (but excellent) burbon. For that reason, the burbon was a little more in the background than I like. I suspect that, if you don't have Bulleit burbon on your shelf, that you will find Jim Beam or Elijah Craig burbon to be good substitutes. Beyond that, you'll taste a smokey flavor from the mezcal (I used Vida mezcal) and a little punch from the Strega. All in all, the overtones of each ingredient mix well, into a satisfying drink.Don't forget the flamed orange zest, but be careful you don't burn your thumb. The burnt flesh doesn't mix well with the other ingredients! Otherwise, mix, stir, flame, and enjoy!.

• Reply to: Shattered Glasser   by   4 days 5 hours ago

It looks like an insane mish-mash but it really works. The way all the flavors are there to be almost-cerebrally picked apart like aurally picking out particular parts of an orchestra reminds me a bit of another improbable cocktail I found here, El Nacional.

• Reply to: Churchill   by   4 days 10 hours ago

I'll adjust the number of drinks. I saw that Imbibe link and read it was a Manhattan variant, shuddered, and found another version. It's no more a Manhattan variant than a Daiquiri is a Old Fashioned variant. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Churchill   by   4 days 10 hours ago

Tasty; fairly "tiki", which was surprising.  A "part" is not an "ounce"; the recipe makes 2.

See the same ratio with....?more temperance?....at, e.g. http://imbibemagazine.com/churchill-manhattan-variation/

Also: many recipes I saw agreed on the Johnnie, but called for Cointreau or other triple sec rather than the Gran Marnier.

<br />
    <p>
    This "Raging Bull" does not rage; it goes down oh so smoothly. By itself, Aquavit does not have a pleasant taste, but I knew from experience, tastes can be decieving. I used three top shelf ingredients (plus a surprise ingredient) to make this drink. Cabo Wabo anejo tequila, Linie Aquavit, and Averna, plus the orange zest made up the libation. It was great, with no one ingredient overwhelming the others. It went down very easily and smoothly.

But, on a hunch I added one other ingredient (my surprise ingredient). I added a dash of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole, which added subtle smoothness and depth. There was no chocolate overtone, but an additional dash would probably give it. With or without the bitters, I found this to be a great drink, and one I rated 4.5. Drink up, but drive responsibly. </p>

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   6 days 17 hours ago

Curated applejack to Laird's 7.5 yo apple brandy as per source reference.

• Reply to: Pioneer Spirit   by   1 week 4 hours ago

Quite thin and 'hot'. One bsp of simple syrup helps a lot.

• Reply to: Joy Division   by   1 week 12 hours ago

Accidentally made it without adding the vermouth. Made it again with the vermouth, and actually prefer it without. Bright, tight, herbaceous. Split the gin between Beefeater and Botanist.

• Reply to: Roycroft Cocktail   by   1 week 1 day ago

Good, but the Chartreuse is a little overwhelming.

Upping the rye to 45ml and cutting the Chartreuse in half was a nice improvement.

• Reply to: Yankee Skipper   by   1 week 1 day ago

Lately, I've seen a number of libations posted by Craig E, many which intrigued me. Yankee Skipper was one; so using top shelf ingredients, I put it together. I used Bulleit rye, Vya sweet vermouth, Smith & Cross rum, and Picon Amer. What I expected and what I tasted were two different animals.

What I expected was a somewhat smooth tasting cocktail with a predominant rum taste; what I tasted was a clash of rye and rum, with no taste of the Picon Amer. Specifying the rye and sweet vermouth may help; different brands of rye and sweet vermouth have their own characteristic tastes, and may or may not blend well with Smith and Cross rum.

That leads to my next suggestion: use a smoother rum, such as a Barbados or Haiti rum. I did use an orange twist, which helped reduce the sharp, unpleasant taste of the original recipe. Perhaps I missed the boat on this one; only others can say yea or nay. As is, I rate it as 2.5, and look at the Yankee Skipper as a work in progress.

• Reply to: Purgatory   by   1 week 2 days ago

Like the 1st commentor, I, too, prefer a 3 oz cocktail rather than a 4 oz one. However, I made "Purgatory" using the given recipe because my mind said "yes, this will be a great drink." And it is, although the combination of Benedictine and Green Chartruse overshadow the Rittenhouse Rye--which should be no surprise. If I were to reduce the size of this drink, I would start by reducing each ingredient by 1/4 oz, and adjusting according to taste. But do keep the lemon twist! The challenge when reducing the size of this drink is to keep a balance of the ingredients' taste, but also, if possible, to bring out the rye, so that it is more prominent.

• Reply to: White Lion   by   1 week 3 days ago

I curated this - a little googling pegged it as an Embury drink so I removed the bitters and changed lemon (from the OP submission) to lime and jiggled the ratio a bit to conform to the book. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Royal Bermuda Yacht Club   by   1 week 3 days ago

Alternate Recipe via PUNCH:

• 1 1/2 ounces rum (preferably El Dorado 5 Year)
    • 1/2 ounce falernum
    • 1/4 ounce orange curacao (preferably Pierre Ferrand)
    • 3/4 ounce lime juice
  • Reply to: Domaine de Canton   by   1 week 6 days ago

Here's another one: The Witch's Word. Saw it on http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. It combines Domaine de Canton with Strega.... delicious !!!

• Reply to: Carolina Sundress   by   2 weeks 8 hours ago

Subbed Atsby Armadillo Cake vermouth for the Vya. Outstanding!

• Reply to: The Business   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this - added creator, updated the source cite (the previous was a bad link). Corrected honey syrup recipe, corrected amount of honey syrup. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Grand Autumn   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Really nice drink for a beautiful spring day in San Francisco. And I don't even like ginger beer all that much...thanks for sharing....

• Reply to: The Business   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Regarding Cocktails (p. 85) credits Sasha Petraske for this drink (with 3/4oz honey syrup).

• Reply to: Sangre y Arena   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Almost feel like giving it 2.5, if it was possible.  There's definitely the possibility for an excellent cocktail here - the mezcal and cherry heering are an odd pair but they kind've work.  Heering tends to be so sweet and overpowering, especially with blended scotch in the original Blood and Sand, but mezcal has the strength of flavor to really stand up to it better.  And yet...something's not quite reight here.  It's still a little too sweet.  Not sure what the answer is, but it just seems like it could be tweaked and optimized.  As it stands, it's still a perfectly tasty and interesting drink, and well worth making if you have the ingredients.

• Reply to: Cucumber Calypso   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

This is a great cocktail, but I recommend it on the rocks. It's easier to enjoy for newcomers to Campari, and anyway the change in taste as it dilutes is really interesting and enjoyable.

• Reply to: A Royal Union   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Quite tasty, but I'd cut the bitters to one dash, otherwise it overwhelms the other ingredients.

• Reply to: Old Spanish   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

I love sherry based cocktails and this is a winner.  I tried it with both regular cynar and cynar 70 and prefer the former, but the latter is an option for those who prefer drier cocktails or with a sweeter sherry.  I used lustau sherry and clear creek cassis.