• The Gringo   3 hours 3 min ago

Marlowe,

They're the same thing. Since we have a lot of Bianco (semisweet, but light in color) vermouths, it didn't make a lot of sense to rig up the database to handle Dolin Blanc.

Zachary

• The Gringo   5 hours 23 min ago

Blanc or bianco? The recipe now says bianco.

• Barber of Seville   1 day 11 hours ago

Perfectly balanced. The crushed almond/orange zest garnish is essential.

• Fond de Culotte   2 days 9 hours ago

Made with Finger Lakes Distilling cassis. Light and really good. Tastes like a funky sweet vermouth.

• The Wall Street Journalist   3 days 9 hours ago

Norm,

This article: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405297020479530457722129180... ? I don't see it in there.

Zachary

• Phillips Rose   4 days 10 hours ago

For an interesting riff on this, try it with Reposado Mezcal, and Rhubarb Bitters.

• Mother's Ruin Punch   5 days 5 hours ago

The recipes I've seen floating around specify that the vermouth should be infused with orange-cinnamon tea.

• Le Mot de La Fin   6 days 11 hours ago

A delightful Last Word variation.

• Faded Gentleman   6 days 13 hours ago

(sheepishly) Actually I use Beefeater and Laphroaig 10, although I did enjoy the Botanist. I'm not sure I got a ton of Islay out of it though.

• Faded Gentleman   1 week 6 hours ago

The gin and Scotch work well together because they're made by the same people. Glad y'all have liked this.

Zachary

• Marconi Wireless   1 week 7 hours ago

The variation we have tried is:

2 oz Applejack (or calvados)
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica
    1/2 oz Sweet vermouth, Cinzano
    1 ds Peychaud's bitters
    Lemon twist garnish

• Faded Gentleman   1 week 9 hours ago

Challenging. I admit that I swapped the amounts of the Violette and Gran Classico. Austere and floral. The gin and Islay works better than it has any right to. Worth summoning the courage to try -- maybe even more than once.

• Faded Gentleman   1 week 1 day ago

This is an excellent and subtle cocktail that is still light and appealing to those often daunted by complex drinks. Personally, I prefer it with Creme Yvette as I find the Creme de Violette is a bit sweet for my tastes.

• White Negroni   1 week 1 day ago

The variations(s) we like best are:

2 parts gin (London dry-ish)
    1 part Suze OR Aveze OR Salers
    1 part Kina l'Avignon d'Or OR Bianco vermouth OR Cocchi Americano OR Lillet Blanc

Stir with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, garnish with a lemon peel.
    The different aperitifs make for nice variations.

• Penicillin   1 week 2 days ago

Dan, I've made one with Mezcal, I was thinking of putting it up but would take it down if it's too similar, is yours posted? If so, under what name, and if not, would you mind putting the build?

• The Slope   1 week 2 days ago

A nice variation is the Sunset Park, with dry vermouth rather than Punt e Mes.

• The Slope   1 week 4 days ago

Since I use Punt e Mes as my house sweet vermouth, this isn't THAT different from a regular Manhattan. Still, the apricot notes are very nice, and the large amount of rye achieves a nice sugar balance with the added liqueur. A welcome addition to the family of rye / aromatized wine family. Large, and hence a bit powerful.

• Vesper   1 week 4 days ago

Our preferred variation is:
    21⁄4 oz Gin
    3⁄4 oz Vodka
    1⁄2 oz Kina L'Avion D'Or OR Cocchi Americano
    1 twst Lemon zest (as garnish)

The current Lillet doesn't have the amount of quinine that it used to in the 1960s. These two substitutes, we think, make a better drink. One of these, you want to go climb a tree; two, you couldn't climb a tree if you had to.

• Mojito   1 week 4 days ago

I use the same rum:lime juice:simple syrup ratio as a daiquiri (2oz:1oz:1/2oz) and (lightly) muddle about eight mint leaves. I use 1 to 1.5 ounces of club soda -- don't want to water it down too much.

• Mai Tai - Trader Vic's   1 week 4 days ago

That's very close to the recipe I use:

1 oz Jamaican dark rum (Apple Estate Reserve or 12 yr OR Smith & Cross)
    1 oz Rhum agricole (at least somewhat aged)
    1 oz Lime juice
    1⁄2 oz Curacao (Creole Shrubb OR Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao)
    1⁄2 oz Orgeat
    1 tsp Simple syrup (made from turbinado or other raw/unrefined sugar, if possible)
    1 spg Mint (as garnish)

Optional: 1⁄2 oz float of high-proof dark rum

A touch more lime juice, more orgeat, and less sugar syrup than the posted recipe, with an optional high-proof float.

• Henry "Box" Brown   1 week 4 days ago

Possibly my favorite cocktail. A well-aged rum is essential; others work, Appleton Estate 12, there's an El Dorado 12 I've found that works well too. Last time I was at Hop Sing I think they were using a Gosling Family reserve.

Finding nice grapes and juicing them is the only real reason I don't make this all the time.

• Margarita   1 week 4 days ago

My preferred recipe
    2.0 oz Silver/blanco tequila (OR 1.5 oz tequila and 0.5 oz mezcal for a smokey variant)
    1.0 oz Citrus juice, freshly squeezed (1 ounce lime juice OR half ounce each of lime juice and lemon juice)
    0.75 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau, Pierre Ferrard Dry Curacao, or Creole Shrub)
    0.25 oz Agave syrup (If omitting the agave syrup, bump up the triple sec to a full ounce)
    Half salted rim

• North by Northwest   1 week 4 days ago

Apple butter is apple sauce that is caramelized by long, slow cooking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_butter

• Black Scottish Cyclops   1 week 4 days ago

In addition to a straight-up peaty Islay (like Lagavulin, Laphroiag, or Ardbeg), I have found that Talisker 10 year works very well in this cocktail. Other, less powerful, whiskys would just be overpowered (in part because 4 dashes of Fee Whiskey Barrel bitters is very intense).

• Widow's Kiss   1 week 4 days ago

It is a much better drink with Calvados, in my opinion. We always use Calvados -- with the same 2:1:1 ratios as the original recipe.