• Reply to: Veel Geluk   by   16 hours 17 sec ago

Subbed Creme Yvette. Reduced lemon to .5 oz. Omitted simple syrup.

• Reply to: 2 Cups of Blood   by   17 hours 21 min ago

It may be an exaggeration to say this drink changed my life, but not by much.  It certainly changed my approach to using non-potable bitters in cocktails, and has been an inspiration for countless variations of base spirit + amaro + aromatized wine + non-potable bitters for me.  I always thought this was one of the showstoppers from Beta Cocktails when I got a copy in 2012 (and I’ve made every drink from that book), and it’s still revolutionary today.  This is one of my go to drinks at a well stocked bar when I’m looking to showboat and get weird with my drink selection, and I’ve introduced this drink to dozens of bartenders over the years.  Highly recommended.

• Reply to: The Great Silence   by   1 day 23 hours ago

Making the changes I suggested in my prior comment, the resulting libation can easily be rated between 3.5 and 4.0, depending on the taster's preferences. Personally, I rate the modified "The Great Silence" at 3.8. How would you rate the original recipe vs my final modifications? I would be interested. Cheers!

• Reply to: The Great Silence   by   1 day 23 hours ago

Given this drink's ingredients, I decided to make "The Great Silence" despite the earlier critical comments. Instead, I used those comments, and modified both the ingredients and the amount of certain ingredients. I used a "fat" 1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse rye (100 proof) instead of the Bulliet rye (90 proof). I, too, did not have the High West double rye, but I think my modificiation was a reasonable approximation--other than adding 2 oz of Rittenhouse rye. Also, I reduced the Aperol to 1/2 oz, but added 1/4 oz Campari to make the libation less sweet and to add some body to it. Finally, I added a "skinny" 1/2 oz lime juice (personal taste), for the absinthe I used St. George's Absinthe Verte. The result was a decent drink that I rate at 3.5.

In the future, lacking the specified double rye, I will use a full 2 oz Rittenhouse rye, and 1/2 oz Campari, and 1/4 oz Aperol. I wiill stay with the "skinny" 1/2 oz lime juice. Perhaps these changes will nudge the rating closer to 4.0. My hunch is that even using the High West double rye, the best rating will be 4.0. Will I ever know? I doubt it!

• Reply to: .312 Cocktail   by   2 days 20 hours ago

Either very bland or very bitter depending on the ratio of club soda. Could use a sweetener.

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   2 days 22 hours ago

"The French Intervention" is a misnomer as only 1/4 oz of this wonderful libation comes from France, namely the Green Chartreuse. But no matter, because the contributions from Mexico and Italy, in combination with France's contribution create a marvelously tasty drink that goes down easily... perhaps too easily.

For this drink, I used 1800 reposado tequila, maybe not top shelf, but a stalwart tequila, nevertheless. There is no way to adequately describe this drink other than to say it's light in taste, slightly sweet, very smooth, delicious to a fault, and so lowdown you won't be able to stop with just one. Your heart and soul won't let you! I rate this wondrous drink at 5.0--something I rarely do. But this drink deserves it! Stir, strain, and enjoy. But drink responsibly!

• Reply to: Test Pilot   by   2 days 22 hours ago

YUM!! This is such a great drink, the absinthe is rendered unrecognisable but brings out the cinnamon flavour of the falernum, how is that possible? I don't know but it sure is tasty! Also don't go flying any planes after one of these, this sucker's strong!

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   2 days 23 hours ago

Thanks for the history lesson. Cheers!

• Reply to: Saturn   by   3 days 36 min ago

Smuggler's Cove has this as 3/4 oz lemon juice.

• Reply to: Tight Rope   by   3 days 11 hours ago

I subbed 1/2 oz Becherovka for the cinnamon syrup. Maybe was supposed to be sweeter, but as I made it, it was more in the vein of a Martini. An interesting, spirit-forward cocktail. I would like to try it with the right syrup if I ever get a chance.

• Reply to: edgar allan poe   by   3 days 21 hours ago

I tweaked it to make it less sour. Also made the dram a full 1 cl. Very good drink. 1 cl Lemon juice, 1 cl Allspice Dram

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   4 days 38 min ago

"The French Intervention" is a misnomer as only 1/4 oz of this libation comes from France

...and the Lillet Blanc that was in the published recipe. The title refers to Napoleon III's invasion of Mexico, hence the remaining single ingredient.

• Reply to: Use for Sibilla   by   4 days 22 hours ago

Back off cherry next time.

• Reply to: Use for Sibilla   by   4 days 22 hours ago

Back off cherry next time.

• Reply to: Crystal Mocha   by   6 days 15 hours ago

a more sophisticated black russian.  probably wont interfere with elections.

• Reply to: Green Deacon   by   6 days 23 hours ago

GREAT introduction to sloe gin, which is was new to me. Using a good-quality sloe gin makes the drink, so I don't think you can replace the Plymouth Sloe Gin. It's easygoing but still very delicious, without being overly sweet or citrus-heavy. Doesn't taste like a lot of other drinks. Oh, and I used a Herbsaint rinse instead of authentic absinthe, but it worked great.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   1 week 1 day ago

Had to sub Meletti, and I drink Rye not Bourbon, still loved it. Looking forward to playing around, maybe trying Cardamaro or Grand Poppy next time. Campari would be too overpowering imo especially if using a stronger flavoured Amaro in place of the Nonino. Lots of opportunity to experiment with this one.

• Reply to: Prospect Park   by   1 week 3 days ago

Following a discussion about why you can't make Manhattan variants with Scotch, I made this with Monkey Shoulder and recommend the result. Maybe a little sweeter than with rye, and almost certainly needs a new name. Tartan Hook?

• Reply to: A Farewell to Arms   by   1 week 3 days ago

we did a blend of amaro (including amargo-vallet) and this was a tasty cocktail.

• Reply to: Gods of Old   by   1 week 4 days ago

A pretty good use of Meletti, something that's hard to tame.

• Reply to: Byrrhlesque   by   1 week 5 days ago

If you are a bourbon lover, or if byrrh is your thing, the "Byrrhlesque" is your drink. Smooth, yes! Tasty, oh my! Full-flavored, you bet! I used Four Roses small batch for the bourbon. Others may prefer Maker's Mark or Elijah Craig. Those will work well, as will Jim Beam black label. I rated this libation at 4.0 (but was tempted to push it to 4.5) Mix, stir, strain, and enjoy.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   1 week 6 days ago

I tried substituting bourbon barrel aged maple syrup in place of simple syrup to change things up a bit.  I think it came out pretty darn good.  Not much sweeter and a very mild flavor addition.

• Reply to: Caravel   by   2 weeks 16 hours ago

Seems unbalanced, too dry and sour for my tastes. Next time use 1/4 oz simple syrup or up the chartreuse.

• Reply to: Sun Stealer   by   2 weeks 23 hours ago

Tried this with rye subbed for the gin (because when I taste a gin drink I like, my first thought usually is "I bet this would be better with whiskey"). Also very good.

• Reply to: bargellino   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

I agree with the previous suggestion to use Nonino rather than Montenegro. There's very little in it - it's a great drink either way - but with Nonino it feels just slightly more balanced.