• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   9 hours 38 min ago

Good with two dashes of simple syrup (according to David Embury's advice). Refreshing, effervescent and tart.

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   11 hours 52 min ago

Curated this. Removed grenadine from the drink - it's literally gin, lime juice and club soda. Tart!  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: An Icy Wasatch Rohde   by   1 day 4 hours ago

Very enjoyable sitting outside this evening. Would be curious about the background of the name.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   2 days 4 hours ago

Reverting to small-batch cognac instead of rye, per old recipe(s), transforms this Classic Cocktail by tipping the familiar balance & allowing more herbal notes to emerge. A revelation.

• Reply to: Gin-Cin-Cyn   by   2 days 5 hours ago

Lovely- twice the gin, a bit more Cynar &, as noted, Punt e Mes, balances the sweetness- playing w/ Plymouth

• Reply to: The Caribbean   by   2 days 7 hours ago

Surprisingly good, a layered and delicious punch in the best tiki tradition. I used Appleton VX (a darker Jamaican would have been more traditional) and Don Q Añejo, increased the lime to 3/4 oz, and omitted the simple.

• Reply to: Bitter Suicide   by   4 days 6 hours ago

I'd like to like this. Much too sweet as written for my taste. I increased the Bourbon to 2oz and cut the 1/2 amari to 1/4 oz. Probably should cut the Fernet to a dash. The bitters aren't specified, so I used Bokers. I found the result nice, but a bit orange-forward. I think I'd use either Brigallet or Cio Ciaro, but not both. Rye might help with the sugar balance. I think this is a fun drink, but it needs more development, IMO.

• Reply to: Gin-Gin Mule   by   1 week 5 hours ago

Curated this: These 6/6/10 drinks were the first round of things added to KC, and included some classics. I'm going to merge the other versions of the Gin-Gin Mule into this one. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fortune Cocktail   by   1 week 1 day ago

Curated this. Estimated the amount of Champagne you're going to need to top a standard glass. Anyone have an idea of what a 'small handful' of mint is? I'd lean toward a sprig of mint versus a handful, otherwise the drink is going to taste like mint and nothing else. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Death & Taxes   by   1 week 2 days ago

2014-03-29 - Today, I'm doing my taxes. Coming across this recipe, I thought it the perfect thing to take the pain away... I used Tanqueray, Amer Nouvelle, and Jamaica #1 bitters (lacking Jerry Thomas's). Very nice! Aromas of flowers, citrus, gin. Will definitely make it part of the rotation.

2015-04-11 - continuing the tradition of drinking this whilst doing my taxes, one year later. This time I have proper Death's Door Gin & Jerry Thomas bitters. A wonderful drink to take the pain away.

• Reply to: High Noon   by   1 week 3 days ago

Looks like a riff on a Siesta by Katie Stipe, replacing lime with triple sec and upping the grapefruit to compensate for the lost citrus from the lime.

• Reply to: Black Diamond   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

I've made it with both Rye and Bourbon and I really enjoy it. Nicely done.

• Reply to: Sitting With Stella   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

I know the "Smash" category is broad, but the general consensus is that there's some sort of fruit and some sort of herbal component, usually mint - that it's a Julep on a small plan (to quote Savoy). I think this is publishable, but can you come up with a different name so it doesn't cause problems with the search?  Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: The Winchester   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this. Changed out Beefeater for Martin Miller Westbourne, removed Fee Bros. as the grenadine, all as per the link. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Maybe with green Chartreuse it's a Yellowpoint.

I'm a big fan of the original.  My favourite of the Brooklyns, I think.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Delicious! Tried substituting green Chartreuse on the recommendation of a guy in a bar, and liked it just as well, maybe better. You don't want a timid rye for this drink, especially when using green Chartreuse.

I wonder how it'd be using a smoky scotch instead of the rye?

• Reply to: Carrie's Book Club   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Seems hard to believe this needs the simple syrup.

• Reply to: Long Faced Dove   by   3 weeks 25 min ago

Curated this - changed "tequila" to "Blanco tequila" as per link. added date attribution and changed type to authentic recipe. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Zachary,

Maybe increase the Cognac to 1 1/2 oz? I was trying to make a drink to use my Apry in, and wanted to use Pierre Ferrand 1840 to bolster the apricot notes, not to give the drink much of a brandy character per se. As it is, this is basically a Hoop-La by way of a Self Starter. Your shaken Cognac and Pineau idea sounds intriguing--maybe a Pompadour riff?

Rafa

• Reply to: Swann's Way   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Rafa,

This is nice, but the Cognac gets a bit lost. I was thinking about subbing 1/2 oz of the Cocchi for Pineau des Charentes, but that may be getting toward a new drink. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Poire Bomb   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Not bad but the maraschino dominated some for us and as such the ginger and lemon juice were a little lost. Would probably tweak the ratios a bit. Beautiful color.

• Reply to: Fourth Degree   by   3 weeks 3 days ago

Savoy and other sources call for a mix of sweet and dry vermouths in their Fourth Degrees, and in much more vermouth-heavy proportions than these.

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

Curated this. Edited recipe to reflect cited link. Thanks for the catch. Zachary

• Reply to: Chan Chan   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

This recipe doesn't match the reference - should be 1/2 oz lime juice, 1/3 oz St Germain, 1/3 oz simple.

• Reply to: Bombardier   by   4 weeks 9 hours ago

Good balance.  The homemade coffee liqueur I'm using is quite flavorful, and it tends to overwhelm.  I'd use 1/2 ounce of it at most next time I make the drink.