• Reply to: Strega   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

I also ran into this delicious Strega cocktail - The Witch's Word: http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. I think Strega and Domaine de Canton go great together!

• Reply to: Elysium Fizz   by   1 month 1 day ago

The problem with grapefruit juice is that it isn't bitter enough. I subbed for 1/2 ounce of ea. grapefruit and lime juice.

• Reply to: Amaro Amore   by   1 month 1 day ago

Not a big fan (little too sweet) not bad though.

• Reply to: Broken English   by   1 month 1 day ago

I love it, Wifey hates it. Such is Fernet ...

• Reply to: Blooey Blues   by   1 month 2 days ago

Phenomenal! I am impressed at the creator's thought to combine these items. If you have the ingredients which are cheap if you want it to be, make it!

• Reply to: Stiggins' Fancy Flip   by   1 month 3 days ago

I was looking for something to do with Stiggin's pineapple rum, and I'm very happy to have found this.
    I also *just* happened to have some leftover demerara syrup from a previous cocktail session.

I used st.george agricole, which gave this cocktail a funkier nose than probably intended, but it was a point of interest instead of a point against it.
    Overall, Stiggin's lends itself very well to this cocktail as it brightens the entire palette.
    I'd thought a 1/2 oz of allspice was a bit excessive, but it worked well. Next time I'll try a little less allspice and see if the drink remains as tasty.

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   1 month 4 days ago

It is sweet, but also tart, bitter, herbal, floral.  I looked at the recipe thinking I'd end up adding more lime, but it's tart as is.  Granted,  this recipe is for those that aren't afraid to use  violette more than a barspoon at a time...  one could always add more base spirit or top with soda

• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   1 month 4 days ago

Made an altered version using 2 oz rye and a 1/2 oz of orange oleo saccharum and two dashes of Angostura. Made me think of the orange-forward on-tap Old Fashioned at the Union Kitchen (Copenhagen) I had a few years ago. Really nice and simple.

• Reply to: Arancia Julius   by   1 month 4 days ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright, added date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   1 month 4 days ago

Cute name. I'm surprised this isn't too sweet though.

• Reply to: Plumb the Soul   by   1 month 5 days ago

Curated this. Removed the long quote from Toby for copyright reasons - it's at the cited link. Added the grapefruit peel garnish, removed "fresh" from lemon juice... we know better. Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. As an aside, this develops grapefruit flavors without the use of grapefruit - I'm not sure that adding the grapefruit bitters is necessary. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   1 month 6 days ago

Note that the reference used also mentions nothing about ice & this is often recommended as a room temperature cocktail.

See also The Rebennack on this site.

• Reply to: The Rebennack   by   1 month 6 days ago

Contrast with Rebannack on this site. Also note that Chris has a video showing it stirred with ice and strained into an ice-filled goblet, so it seems to serve both as a room temperature flask cocktail and a nice chilled sipper at the bar.

• Reply to: The Blur   by   1 month 6 days ago

I love the flavors of a last word cocktail but not the sweetness. This is a great solution, very light and refreshing.

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   1 month 1 week ago

A+ name. Hope I one day git gud enough to drink it.

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   1 month 1 week ago

So it turns out that there are a couple versions of this drink floating around the internet, including a Youtube video of Chris Hannah making the drink. I have curated this one to conform with the cited link and added a link to the Rye/Averna/Creole Shrubb version as well. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   1 month 1 week ago

Similar in concept to my Bernet Frankenstein.

• Reply to: Italian Toolbag   by   1 month 1 week ago

Sweet, but interesting with effectively no base spirit.

• Reply to: Millionaire   by   1 month 1 week ago

Replying to the undated/uncredited note from another user: you can either make two or eye-ball a half eggwhite or measure out a tablespoon (as a large egg white is about 1 oz).

• Reply to: Tender Nob   by   1 month 1 week ago

Tenderloin and Nob Hill are adjacent neighborhoods in SF, the latter being affluent and the former being considerably less so. "Tender Nob" refers to the area between the two. The cocktail creator is based in SF and this uses both "affluent" cognac and "less affluent" Wild Turkey.

The double entendre is likely lost on nobody, but this is hardly "vulgar for vulgarity's sake".

• Reply to: Tender Nob   by   1 month 1 week ago

Renamed from Tender Knob to match source reference. Seems like a vulgar name, however.

• Reply to: Violetta thyme   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

One of my favourite cocktails on this site. Halved the maraschino as it was plenty sweet already with the st germain. Subbed with plum bitters and sprig of lavender as I didn't have any thyme.

• Reply to: Bitter Blossom   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

In 2013, the only readily available Templeton Rye was their 4 year old, which is light in body and somewhat sweet in taste. Your dissatisfaction with the outcome of your drink was, I suspect, the fault of the rye used, not the recipe. If you use Templeton Rye 6 year old (which came out in 2015 or 2016), you'll be much more satisfied with the resultant cocktail. In short, it will likely be what you were expecting from the recipe.

• Reply to: Dickens Flip   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated slightly to specify Angostura bitters.

• Reply to: Speaking in Tongues   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Abano has a fairly unique black pepper flavor. I think you could sub something like Averna or even Cynar, but it will be a different drink.