• Reply to: A Bouquet of Parentheses   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Beautifully balanced and herbal.

• Reply to: First Sleepover   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

I used Dolin because no CAF on hand. Surprisingly tart. I almost wondered if Zwack Liqueur was intended, but knowing the poster, I'm sure it's not. The tartness balances the bitterness. Interesting and worth making, especially if you like out-of-the-box cocktails. The lime is particularly surprising. Also, the grapefruit aroma was lovely.

• Reply to: Gent's Night   by   3 weeks 6 days ago

A couple of questions for you: is that a homemade chocolate extract, and If not, is there a brand you like? Can you provide a recipe or some guidelines for the stout reduction?  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Bedminster   by   4 weeks 5 hours ago

Good

• Reply to: The Risk Pool   by   4 weeks 22 hours ago

Had one of these at OKBB. This is a great drink! Have always liked an Aviation, but I will start substituting a Risk Pool now. The Hayman's Old Tom gin is perfect here.

• Reply to: Clover Club   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Hmm... with 3/4 lemon, this shouldn't be flat or smoothed out anything. The earliest recipe I can find is William Boothby's "The World's Drinks and How to Mix Them" in 1908, which is 2 barspoons of grenadine or raspberry syrup, "enough lemon juice to overcome the sweetness of the syrup", half an egg white, and a jigger of Plymouth gin. Julie Reiner of Clover Club fame (and Dave Wondrich evidently) like 1.5 Plymouth, .5 Dolin Dry, .5 lemon, .5 cold processed raspberry syrup, and 1/4 oz egg white. At the turn of the century, Plymouth (or "Coates Plymouth" as it was called) was the fancy dry gin. Dave Wondrich says dry vermouth was in some of the earliest recipe he found, and who am I to argue with Dave Wondrich? At the end of the day the balance of this drink depends on your raspberry syrup and your lemon juice.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: McKittrick Old Fashioned   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Updated the reference as the previously one was a dead link. Published. Usually we don't publish variations on a classic like this, but this drink was made by a respected bartender.

• Reply to: Clover Club   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

I have to say the now official recipe here on kindred I found poor.

I made this with Ford's Gin, Dolin Dry Vermouth and a high quality raspberry syrup made by Blossoms UK.

It was incredibly badly balanced; a smoothed out martini, dull, flat and dry. I will try again with the NY Clover Club recipe ratios. I may recommend a curator properly reviews this recipe vs the alternatives.

• Reply to: First Sleepover   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Glasswared recommendation? Seems like the kind of drink that could languish on a big cube for a while.

• Reply to: Tight Rope   by   1 month 1 hour ago

Hi, Dan. The use of Becherovka sounds like an interesting variation, skewing the libation in a drier direction. I need to try that :-) The original recipe was more in the vein of a Monte Carlo, splitting up the 1/2 oz liqueur measure with cinnamon bark syrup. If you decide to try it as written, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. For the cinnamon bark syrup I used the recipe from the Death&Co book. Cheers!

• Reply to: Avion de Papel   by   1 month 13 hours ago

An almost identical recipe can be found here, http://www.onthebar.com/drinks/el-avion-de-papel, the work of Daniel Riney at the Marina Cantina in Clearwater, Florida. His version also uses a blanco tequila (the picture shows Avion Silver), and the Paper Plane's original Amaro Nonino.  Lily thought the Amaro Meletti worked better with the tequila, and chose that for her version.

• Reply to: Avion de Papel   by   1 month 2 days ago

Had three more of these yesterday - decided to make one today. Used El Tesoro Platinum and Ramazotti since there was no Meletti on hand. It was still nice and improved as it went along.

• Reply to: Veel Geluk   by   1 month 6 days ago

Subbed Creme Yvette. Reduced lemon to .5 oz. Omitted simple syrup.

• Reply to: 2 Cups of Blood   by   1 month 6 days ago

It may be an exaggeration to say this drink changed my life, but not by much.  It certainly changed my approach to using non-potable bitters in cocktails, and has been an inspiration for countless variations of base spirit + amaro + aromatized wine + non-potable bitters for me.  I always thought this was one of the showstoppers from Beta Cocktails when I got a copy in 2012 (and I’ve made every drink from that book), and it’s still revolutionary today.  This is one of my go to drinks at a well stocked bar when I’m looking to showboat and get weird with my drink selection, and I’ve introduced this drink to dozens of bartenders over the years.  Highly recommended.

• Reply to: The Great Silence   by   1 month 1 week ago

Making the changes I suggested in my prior comment, the resulting libation can easily be rated between 3.5 and 4.0, depending on the taster's preferences. Personally, I rate the modified "The Great Silence" at 3.8. How would you rate the original recipe vs my final modifications? I would be interested. Cheers!

• Reply to: The Great Silence   by   1 month 1 week ago

Given this drink's ingredients, I decided to make "The Great Silence" despite the earlier critical comments. Instead, I used those comments, and modified both the ingredients and the amount of certain ingredients. I used a "fat" 1 1/2 oz Rittenhouse rye (100 proof) instead of the Bulliet rye (90 proof). I, too, did not have the High West double rye, but I think my modificiation was a reasonable approximation--other than adding 2 oz of Rittenhouse rye. Also, I reduced the Aperol to 1/2 oz, but added 1/4 oz Campari to make the libation less sweet and to add some body to it. Finally, I added a "skinny" 1/2 oz lime juice (personal taste), for the absinthe I used St. George's Absinthe Verte. The result was a decent drink that I rate at 3.5.

In the future, lacking the specified double rye, I will use a full 2 oz Rittenhouse rye, and 1/2 oz Campari, and 1/4 oz Aperol. I wiill stay with the "skinny" 1/2 oz lime juice. Perhaps these changes will nudge the rating closer to 4.0. My hunch is that even using the High West double rye, the best rating will be 4.0. Will I ever know? I doubt it!

• Reply to: .312 Cocktail   by   1 month 1 week ago

Either very bland or very bitter depending on the ratio of club soda. Could use a sweetener.

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   1 month 1 week ago

"The French Intervention" is a misnomer as only 1/4 oz of this wonderful libation comes from France, namely the Green Chartreuse. But no matter, because the contributions from Mexico and Italy, in combination with France's contribution create a marvelously tasty drink that goes down easily... perhaps too easily.

For this drink, I used 1800 reposado tequila, maybe not top shelf, but a stalwart tequila, nevertheless. There is no way to adequately describe this drink other than to say it's light in taste, slightly sweet, very smooth, delicious to a fault, and so lowdown you won't be able to stop with just one. Your heart and soul won't let you! I rate this wondrous drink at 5.0--something I rarely do. But this drink deserves it! Stir, strain, and enjoy. But drink responsibly!

• Reply to: Test Pilot   by   1 month 1 week ago

YUM!! This is such a great drink, the absinthe is rendered unrecognisable but brings out the cinnamon flavour of the falernum, how is that possible? I don't know but it sure is tasty! Also don't go flying any planes after one of these, this sucker's strong!

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   1 month 1 week ago

Thanks for the history lesson. Cheers!

• Reply to: Saturn   by   1 month 1 week ago

Smuggler's Cove has this as 3/4 oz lemon juice.

• Reply to: Tight Rope   by   1 month 1 week ago

I subbed 1/2 oz Becherovka for the cinnamon syrup. Maybe was supposed to be sweeter, but as I made it, it was more in the vein of a Martini. An interesting, spirit-forward cocktail. I would like to try it with the right syrup if I ever get a chance.

• Reply to: edgar allan poe   by   1 month 1 week ago

I tweaked it to make it less sour. Also made the dram a full 1 cl. Very good drink. 1 cl Lemon juice, 1 cl Allspice Dram

• Reply to: The French Intervention   by   1 month 1 week ago

"The French Intervention" is a misnomer as only 1/4 oz of this libation comes from France

...and the Lillet Blanc that was in the published recipe. The title refers to Napoleon III's invasion of Mexico, hence the remaining single ingredient.

• Reply to: Use for Sibilla   by   1 month 1 week ago

Back off cherry next time.