• Reply to: The Risk Pool   by   1 month 3 days ago

The Death & Co recipe specifies Old Tom gin (Hayman's).

• Reply to: Daiquiri No. 5   by   1 month 3 days ago

I really like the way this upgrades the standard daiquiri. The Stiggin's Fancy really shines here -- lovely depth and perfect balance of sweet & sour.

• Reply to: Amertinez   by   1 month 3 days ago

This is truly an excellent, delicious drink that I have taught to several bartenders around the country, always crediting Mr. Hannah of course.  I just noticed that the find.eat.drink website has an entry for Mr. Hannah dated 18 July 2011, (http://www.findeatdrink.com/Index/Drink/Entries/2011/7/18_chris_hannah_r...) that offers slightly different proportions:

1.25 oz Gin / 0.75 oz amaro /0.75 oz sweet vermouth / 0.25 oz maraschino liqueur / 2 ds orange bitters

I don't know that 0.66 oz (20 mL) will be all that different than 0.75 oz (22 mL) - perhaps the 20 mL version gives you more of a 50/50 drink (that is, 37 mL gin and 40 mL of the amaro/vermouth. I suppose you could go fully metric, too:

40 mL gin / 20 mL amaro / 20 mL sweet vermouth / 10 mL maraschino

Most of the recipes for this drink I've seen online seem to specify a London dry gin, but I think that an Old Tom gin would have been used when the original Martinez was made, and I think that Hayman's works quite well.

• Reply to: Hedgehog in the Fog   by   1 month 3 days ago

Delicious, but you could omit the syrup if don't want it sweet.

• Reply to: Scarlet Pimpernel   by   1 month 5 days ago

Curated this a lot. Assuming this is meant to cite the link and be made according to the recipe and not some weird riff on that drink, I did the following: removed the cognac, both the 3/4 oz (which should be Giffard Pamplemousse) and the 12 drops (which should be Bittermens Orchard Street Celery Shrub). Added the club soda top. Added Creator and place and date.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Mah Nà Mah Nà   by   1 month 1 week ago

alright but lacks something.. a herb muddle perhaps? an added sweetener? the chartreuse doesn't manage to lift the mixture above the preponderance of sour and herbal.

• Reply to: Attention   by   1 month 1 week ago

I love mouthfuls of grandma! (not the band though, sorry)

• Reply to: Medicine Man   by   1 month 1 week ago

Really liked this despite using a leaf too much sage. Too chicken to use that much paprika IN the drink so lightly garnished with a pinch instead, pretty happy with this one. Definitely one to make for any health nut friends you might have.

• Reply to: Chaplin   by   1 month 1 week ago

I made your chocolate cake with strawberry instead of chocolate. Scrumptious!

• Reply to: Your Cover's Blown   by   1 month 1 week ago

This is both compelling and weird. Kudos.

• Reply to: Rexford   by   1 month 1 week ago

When describing a twist, "fat" means to use a larger percentage of the width of a vegetable peeler to remove a strip of the peel. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rexford   by   1 month 1 week ago

What does it mean when (fat) is after the peel or twist?

• Reply to: To Hell with Spain   by   1 month 1 week ago

The complexity of the flavours only come out with the absinthe so I wouldn't omit it but I would go light on the rinse or use something a little rounder in taste like absinthe rouge.

• Reply to: Count Loretto   by   1 month 1 week ago

"Count Loretto" should be considered as a WORK IN PROGRESS. I made this cocktail in a half-portion, and I'm glad I did, because making a full portion would have been a waste of good whiskey, rum, and Fernet Branca.

As is, the Fernet Branca overwhems the rum, and nearly overwhelms the whiskey. After the initial taste, I eye-balled my additions, adding 1/8 oz each of whiskey and rum, and 2 drops of Fee Bros. gin barrel-aged orange bitters.

Without these changes, I rate the libation at 2.0; with the changes I rate it at 2.5.

• Reply to: Pink Elephant   by   1 month 1 week ago

A great drink, as commented upon by others. I made one change that worked out well, however: lacking blackberry liqueur, I substittued Creme de Framboises (a top-notch rasberry liqueur), with a nice outcome. I'm sure the taste of the drink would have been somewhat different, but I was satisfied with the substitution. I used only 1 tsp, but in the future I will use at least 11/2 oz of the rasberry liqueur, because it gets overwhelmed by the lime juice.

This is a wonderful summer afternoon drink that I rated 4.5 (something I don't do often).

• Reply to: Pink Elephant   by   1 month 1 week ago

Really good.  As others have said, wonderful balance between sweet and tart/sour.  Hell, it tastes like a maraschino/grapefruit sweet-tart!

• Reply to: King of Red Lions   by   1 month 1 week ago

I thought it needed some depth and dryness, so I upped the Ango to a bsp and added a bsp of Maraschino as well. Better.

• Reply to: The Divine Lorraine   by   1 month 1 week ago

Elderflower

• Reply to: American Royal Zephyr   by   1 month 1 week ago

Curated to fix missing bourbon.

• Reply to: The Exporter   by   1 month 1 week ago

Lovely composition. Refreshing

• Reply to: Midnight Sun (Aquavit)   by   1 month 1 week ago

Light and simple. I used some vanilla superfine for the sugar. Not bad.

• Reply to: Sister Wife   by   1 month 1 week ago

Pretty good. Could actually stand to be a bit drier, so perhaps a touch more maraschino in it, or maybe a splash of dry vermouth.

• Reply to: Rexford   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

What type of Scotch did you use in this? Highland? Islay? I tried it with Pig's nose and really enjoyed it. Just curious, thanks!

• Reply to: Quill   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I'm surprised that I like the "Quill" as much as I do. I thought that with the absinthe I wouldn't rate the libation any higher than 2.5. The truth be told, however, I rated the "Quill" at 3.5. But doing so took some doing on my part: (1) I used a solid gin--Liberator gin, which is made by Valentine Distilling in Detroit; (2) I used a great absinthe--absinthe verte by St. George; and (3) Most surprising, I did not use one of my favorite sweet vermouths--Antica Formula--instead I used (with my fingers crossed) Cinzano Rosso because of its pronounced sweet and fruity flavors. And of course I threw in some Campari for good measure.

What I got was what I hoped for: a Negroni-like cocktail, somewhat sweet and somewhat bitter, with the absinthe flavor perceptible but in the background. I think the Cinzano accounts, to a great degree, for the success of my efforts. For sure, this is a libation for those who like the traditional Negroni AND who like to experiment. Go for it!

• Reply to: Baboso   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This is a wonderful, full- flavored drink--even without the charred habanero. For the orange bitters, I used Fee Bros.' gin barrel-aged orange bitters. I rated the "Baboso" at 4.5. With the charred habanero, it might have been a 5.0!

Given all of the ingredients, perhaps a better name for this libation is "Mulligan stew."