• Reply to: Maiden's Kiss (Improved)   by   7 months 1 week ago

Drinks with 1/2oz (or more) maraschino are always interesting. It seems very tame in this one. Not bad.

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   7 months 1 week ago

Tried it with five year old Zuidam genever instead of the rye, but the genever got lost and the drink needs that rye, I think.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

<br />Thanks for bringing to my attention the typo I made. I meant tsp, not ounces. I carefully measured out one and one-half teaspoons. So I still stand by my recommendation to start with less simple syrup than what the recipe calls for. Perhaps many people will prefer one and one-half tsp of simple sugar in this drink. However, I believe most will find it too sweet; hence my suggestion to start of with one tsp of simple syrup, and slowly add more until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. Regardless, I thank you for pointing out the typo I made. I went back and made corrections in the original comment I made yesterday.

<br />
    <p>
    No Leopold Bros gin? Use Tanqueray 10 for a great gin heavy drink. After reading the notes on "Leopold Meeks," and the necessity to use Leopold Bros gin because of its citrusey flavor, I decided to make "Leopold Meeks" using Tanqueray 10 because it is a citrus and botonical heavy gin. I also made one other change. Instead of using Fee grapefruit bitters (which I have), I opted for Bittermens hopped grapefruit bitters.

The outcome? A great gin drink without the traditional juniper berry taste. Not having used Fee's grapefruit bitters, I can't say if my choice to use the hopped grapefruit bitters was better or worse. All I can say is that it made for a great gin drink with a definite citrus bent. I rated my variation on "Leonard Meeks" as a 4.0.

One suggestion: use only 1 tsp of simple syrup and add a small amount until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. For my taste, one and one-half tsp of simple syrup was much too sweet. Finally, I used a large Old Fashion glass, and after rinsing it with the Green Chartreuse, I poured in the liquid ingredients, floated a large ice cube, and then added the lemon twist garnish. The over-sized ice cube kept the drink nice and cold with minimal dilution. This is a drink that many will enjoy, even without the Leopold Bros gin.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Mojo: The recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of simple :-)

• Reply to: Hot Stinger   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Tried as 1/2oz fernet branca and 1/2oz creme de cacao.  Good

• Reply to: Arsenic and Old Lace   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

The ratios used in the Bartenders Choice App are more in tune with the modern drinkers taste. 2 gin, 3/4 dry Vermouth, 1/4 Violette/Yvette and an Absinthe rinse.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

<br />I stumbled upon this recipe and your notes. The one English gin, which is readily accessible and may work, is Tanqueray 10, which is notable for its citrus and floral notes. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how things work out using Tanqueray 10.

Also, your notes go back to 2011 (my! how time flies!). In the intervening years, gin's popularity has increased. So, perhaps a microbrewery has developed a gin with the notes you are looking for. The newer American gins I have tasted or reviewed are not the light, fruity tasting gin you are looking for. Perhaps something has developed in England, however. Good luck in your search.

• Reply to: Arsenic and Old Lace   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

A posted version of the recipe lists 1/4 oz absinthe and 3/4 oz vermouth, which seems more reasonable.

Source: http://magazine.foxnews.com/amp/article/139416

• Reply to: Paddington   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Surprisingly delicate. A good brunch cocktail.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Negroni   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

<br />One fine Mezcal drink! For me, Mezcal took some getting used to because of its smokiness: some Mezcal-based drinks were barely drinkable; a fair number were OK, but...; only a few were anything to write home about. This drink, the Oaxacan Negroni, is in the last category. In fact, I couldn't write home fast enough about it. Yes, it has a smokey taste, but it's competing with other strong tastes, especially Campari. However, even the subtle notes of the Antica Formula vermouth (such as its vanilla notes) get through to make a georgous, tasteful drink that is not easy to put down--until the glass is empty. I had an easy time rating this drink, at 5.0. It is truly a wonderful drink to sip and relish its many flavors and complexity.

• Reply to: Patent Pending   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Regarding the prior comments:  Choose your rye carefully; WhistlePig 10 years and Templeton 4 years are light in flavor and sweet. Templeton 6 years, Wild Turkey and Knob Creek, however, have more body and different flavors. The rye you choose will have a defining impact on the taste of this drink.

Choose carefully, also, your vermouth. Antica Formula is my favorite vermouth. I used, however, Vermut Negre, a dark but not too sweet vermouth. I then used only two drops of Xocolatl Mole, not three, which was fine for me. This was the first time I drank this cocktail, but I humbly rank the resultant cocktail at 4.5. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

• Reply to: Aphrodite and Eros   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Delightful! I didn't have the cardamom to muddle so I gave it two drops of cadamom bitters.

• Reply to: Amer Picon "Pouffle" Fizz   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

This is pretty tasty.

Note (re. the previous ~5 yr-old comment) that 1/4 tsp is actually less than 2 modern dashes of the product.

• Reply to: The Aztec Snow   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Too high proof for egg white: it curdled.

• Reply to: Collo Rosso   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

<br />Four strong-tasting ingredients, yet they don't clash. Instead, they come together nicely to make Collo Rosso (Italian for Red Neck). Although the Campari's taste tops all the others, the rum and bourbon are not far behind. And fortunately, the sweetness of the vermouth manages to peek through and give the necessary sweetness to provide the balance needed to make this the great drink that it is.

This is one of those drinks that will be enjoyed either before or after dinner--or on a lazy weekend afternoon, while watching your favorite college team (such as the U of Mich) whoomping on your college's favorite enemy team). Make the Collo Rosso, sit back, and enjoy. I rated this libation as a 4.0.

• Reply to: Moto Guzzi   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

<b What a drink! Just two ingredients, but they mix well and make a satisfying drink. I polished off my bottle of Booker's with this recipe, but it was worth it. Some might like a sweeter vermouth other than Punt e Mes, which will be a matter of taste, just as some might like a different overproof bourbon.

Regardless, changing overproof bourbon brands and using a different sweet vermouth will probably still result in a cocktail that will satisfy most bourbon lovers. By the way, I added two drops of Fee's Whiskey Barrel-Aged Bitters, with a pleasant improvement. Others may prefer a different bitter; experimentation is the key. I rated the Moto Guzzi between 3.5-4.0.

• Reply to: Dale Cooper   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Big +1 to using Heering instead of Maraschino. One of my favorite drinks of all time when made this way!

• Reply to: Pera Rosa   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Nice - same basic ingredients - had to substitute absolut pear vodka for the eau de vie.

• Reply to: Thamyris   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

<br />Thamyris is one of those lovely drinks that is easy to love and yet you don't know why. There is a multiplicity of flavors that come through, without clashing. For this libation I would recommend a gin that is soft, easy on the juniper. Martin Miller's and Knickerbocker Barrel Gin come to mind. Tanqueray Ten should do well, also because it emphasizes floral and citris flavors; but not Tanqueray, which is heavy on juniper.

To make this cocktail I used Knickerbocker Barrerl Gin and King's Ginger Liqueur, plus the other named ingredients. Thamyris is a great before or after dinner drink--a somewhat heavy in flavor drink, but with the right gin, it will go down like water--only more satisfying. I rated it 4.0.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

A bit too sweet, I think. Still very nice. Will try slightly different proportions at a later time.

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

• Reply to: White Oak Propeller   by   8 months 11 hours ago

Curated this slightly - moved the long notes from the body of the drink to the notes section, so it doesn't blow out line breaks. Changed 3 2/5 oz vermouth to 3/4 - I'm guessing this is what you want to meet the Paper Airplane? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Stiletta   by   8 months 1 day ago

Very nice. I wasn't going to devote an entire bottle of Campari to occasional home use, so I just floated a star anise.  A little more infusion time may have been betetr, but it was a good drink anyway.  Conveniently, 20 star anise in 750ml is near enough to one in 30ml (1oz).

• Reply to: Madhattan   by   8 months 2 days ago

<br />This is an interesting, quite drinkable cocktail whose full potential has not yet been realized. I read the comment by one user who said that perhaps another amaro should be used. The comment about Jack Daniels Black (which I'm inclined to use when the recipe doesn't specify the bourbon) gave me pause. So I decided to make some changes, and see if they would do any better

I decided to use a lighter tasting rye than, say, Rittenhouse or Bulleit, so I chose WhistlePig 10 rye (100 proof) which is lighter and less dry than many other ryes (it's comprable to Templeton 4 years rye in that regard). I also added a moderate amount of lemon zest--you'll have to eyeball what a moderate amount is-- and the peel. I found the resultant drink to be quite satisfying. Zwack's bitterness was kept under control, and Amaro Lucano brought an acceptable amount of sweetness to the drink. I rated the cocktail, as I constructed it, as 3.5.

As is, the Madhattan is a satisfying pre-dinner drink, and with additional modifications, I believe this cocktail should ultimately be rated at least at 4.0. Suggestions for improvements, please.