• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   5 years 9 months ago

Dan,

If you dissolved pink Peeps in Creme de Violette, you might have Creme Yvette... you will now have nightmares.

• Reply to: The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   by   5 years 9 months ago

Name changed from Hoskins Cocktail (Amer Picon-less version) to The Mexican Hoskins Cocktails.

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   5 years 9 months ago

Actually, I've never tried Creme Yvette because I have a 267-year supply of Creme de Violette to use up first. ;)

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   5 years 9 months ago

Half Myers's and half Smith & Cross sounds like it would be good. I love (love, love) Smith & Cross, so I'd be happy with all Smith & Cross, but it sure would be resplendent with rum hogo!

• Reply to: Beuser & Angus Special   by   5 years 9 months ago

I removed 1 3/4oz of Yellow Chartreuse, which doesn't appear in the original cocktail and I suspect was a typo. If this was intended, then you might indicate it in the Your Comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• Reply to: The Voyager   by   5 years 9 months ago

Added attribution, garnish, history, and instructions. Changed rum ingredient to "gold rum"

• Reply to: The Asterisk   by   5 years 9 months ago

Fixed the missing Chartreuse quantity and added the attribution.

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   5 years 9 months ago

You know who would really like this? Dan. He loves Creme Yvette... the more the better.

• Reply to: Hancock   by   5 years 9 months ago

Are the cucumber and rosewater mentioned in the notes part of the flavor profile of the drink, or should they be in the ingredients?

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   5 years 9 months ago

I had Meyer's, Smith and Cross, and regular old Bacardi on hand. I went with the Smith & Cross and I don't know if 1.5 oz of this rum was the best choice for this cocktail. Next time I'll try a more neutral, lower proofed rum or some of each.

• Reply to: Flor Delice   by   5 years 9 months ago

sounded good, but too dry and boozy for me. I will keep trying these ingredients in different proportions

• Reply to: The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   by   5 years 9 months ago

As the creator of the Hoskins cocktail, may I suggest that if you're going to change the base spirit and the primary modifier you might as well rename it and make it your own. :) Looks good -- I'll give it a try.

• Reply to: Arrack Attack   by   5 years 9 months ago

I enjoyed this drink very much, after adding an extra splash of Canton.

• Reply to: Vesper   by   5 years 9 months ago

Right you are. Fixed.

• Reply to: Vesper   by   5 years 9 months ago

I would think that Cocchi Americano would be a much better substitution for the (not made anymore) Kina Lillet. Bonal is very sweet vermouth meets Oloroso Sherry, and not only would you lose the color of the drink, but the flavors might be too heavy.

• Reply to: Vesper   by   5 years 9 months ago

I like to use a 1:1:1 ratio

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   5 years 9 months ago

perfectly balanced- love the allspice dram and chartreuse combo. I used the low end maple syrup measure and it was plenty.

• Reply to: In a Pickle   by   5 years 9 months ago

Delicious, thanks. I love the st germain/falernum combo in the ninth ward, so this was a must try. I used Hendrick's and velvet falernum. 5/5

• Reply to: Water Lily   by   5 years 9 months ago

too sweet as written

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   5 years 9 months ago

I like it with half aperol, half campari; with this change it is 5/5 stars for me

• Reply to: Perfect Summit Manhattan   by   5 years 9 months ago

I'm wondering which Chambers Muscat this cocktail calls for - the Rutherglen would be the most likely choice, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

• Reply to: Gunshop Fizz   by   5 years 10 months ago

I've made this drink both ways, and it's actually a pretty different drink with the sanbitter, which has less bitterness up front and more of a kind of weird bubblegum taste.

However, I agree with your basic assessment - this is a must try drink, but once you've had it I don't know how many times you'll go back to it. There are probably 10-15 drinks in Rogue and/or Beta that I would pick over this one for my go to drink.

Also, while I generally love drinks with a ton of bitters, I'm a bit wary of drinking 2 whole ounces of peychaud's at once, as it kind of seems like the most processed (i.e. least potable) of the major bitters.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   5 years 10 months ago

This is a fabulous drink, and a great introduction to Fernet. I removed club soda, which is not in the authentic recipe. If one desires club soda, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• Reply to: Trilby Cocktail #2   by   5 years 10 months ago

Dan,

Thanks for the edit on the absinthe ;) I'm not sure which brand of Parfait Amour they used at Teardrop, but there can't be that many available in the market. This had that weird 40's era balance (remember the Bengal?), but was complex and interesting.

• Reply to: Trilby Cocktail #2   by   5 years 10 months ago

What Parfait Amour do you use? I've found that whenever I try to use my Marie Brizzard, it simply ruins everything it touches. Should I solder bravely on and try this? I haven't tried Creme de Yvette, but maybe that would work?

I also moderated the 3 oz of absinthe to the intended 3 dashes. 3 oz would be quite a drink ;)