• Reply to: Joe Riley   by   5 years 11 months ago

I did like this better with more lemon (but that is a common adjustment for me)- I increased it to 1/2 oz.

• Reply to: Bar Eats You   by   5 years 11 months ago

Is this some kind of Eastern thing?

• Reply to: The Ninth Ward   by   5 years 11 months ago

The St. Germain and Falernum combo is really delicious (used Velvet Falernum)

• Reply to: Averna Jimjam   by   5 years 11 months ago

This is a really nice drink, interesting and balanced. The apricot doesn't take over the way it seems to in some other drinks I've tried with it.

• Reply to: Front Steps   by   5 years 11 months ago

Made two versions of this cocktail, and enjoyed the second one with 1/2 ounce lemon juice, rather than a full ounce.
    I found the lemon overwhelming in the recipe posted. Adjust to your taste.
    Used Michters US-1 Rye, Hiram Walker Kirshwasser, Taylor's Falernum, and Peychaud's.

• Reply to: Arrack Attack   by   5 years 11 months ago

I increased the lime a bit, but otherwise I like this, though it took me a few minutes to settle into the bitterness...

• Reply to: Amaro Sour   by   5 years 11 months ago

Very good, light and refreshing but still interesting. I'll try a little less St. Germain next time as this is a bit on the sweet side.

• Reply to: Bywater   by   5 years 11 months ago

.25 oz lime made this more to my taste. I didn't have the suggested rum, used Rhum Barbancourt 8 yr.

• Reply to: Mai Tai (Trader Vic's)   by   5 years 11 months ago

Chowhound's StriperGuy recommends:

2 oz Mt Gay amber
    1 oz Cruzan blackstrap
    3/4 oz Triple Sec (Bols, or other orange liqueur
    1 oz lime (juice of one lime)
    1/2 oz Luxardo Amaretto
    1/2 oz Orgeat

Matt Robold (Rumdood) surveyed a number of combinations here: http://rumdood.com/2009/01/26/a-month-of-mai-tais/

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   5 years 11 months ago

The cocktail "Reckless Abandom" was merged into "The Art of Choke." While they were created by entirely different people, they have nearly the same ingredients and have the same overall idea.

Reckless Abandon was created by Justin James Noel, Empire Rooftop Lounge & Contemporary Cocktails Inc., NYC and was posted by user endless_optimism. Reference: http://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2010/08/cynar-cocktail-cont....

It contained
    1oz Rhum Agricole (Clement Premier Canne)
    1oz Cynar
    1/4 oz Lime juice
    1/4 oz Rich demerara syrup
    1/4oz Green Chartreuse
    1spg mint as garnish

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   5 years 11 months ago

My to-try list keeps growing :) Thanks for the suggestions. I have always skipped over recipes that list pineapple juice, figuring they would be too sweet, but I sure did like the muddled pineapple, so I will keep an open mind.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   5 years 11 months ago

I think it would make sense to merge them with the quantity differences given as options, and a couple rum suggestions with notes on the different flavors they would contribute. In any case, that would help a rum newbie like myself. I need to check out this Rhum JM I keep seeing noted around here...

• Reply to: Liberation   by   5 years 11 months ago

I like it with about .1oz creme de violette and a touch more lemon.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   5 years 11 months ago

This cocktail is so similar to the Art of Choke that I wonder if we need both. I tried it with Clement VSOP and like it, but found it too sweet as written. I have not tried Clement Premier Canne, but I wonder if an agricole with more hogo, like Rhum JM might give it added character.

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   5 years 11 months ago

Christina, Glad you like it - gin, Campari and pineapple seem to be perfect matches for each other (in the way that dark rum, Cynar and lime are), but I struggle with both of those combinations - see The Riviera. It's also a great example of detailed commentary being useful.

Since you like this, you might also try the Broken Shoe Shiner, from Beta Cocktails.

Zachary

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   5 years 11 months ago

This drink has such a unique flavor, and is 5 stars for me. The fruit and floral notes are nicely balanced by the Campari and lemon; each delicious ingredient contributes to an even greater final product. The end result is nuanced, layered, and harmonious. I used Voyager gin.

• Reply to: Colchique   by   5 years 11 months ago

This sounded so good, but just tasted flat. Maybe eliminating the orange juice would help.

• Reply to: Verde Temprano   by   5 years 11 months ago

Kiwi shrub, like any culinary shrub, is really easy to make when the fruit is in season. I encourage you to try it!

• Reply to: Verde Temprano   by   5 years 11 months ago

I almost passed this one by as I didn't have kiwi shrub, then I noticed that no one does except the drink's creator!

• Reply to: Rubicon   by   5 years 11 months ago

Updated to authentic recipe: removed Angostura Orange bitters and added instructions to ignite Green Chartreuse.

• Reply to: Dernier Mot   by   5 years 11 months ago

This rummy variation is so good. I used the Clement VSOP ( I am no rum expert, but really love this stuff) . Seems the chartreuse/maraschino/citrus combo is good to a variety of spirits.

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   5 years 11 months ago

I made this without the Champagne, don't like bubbles. It was a little sweet, so subbed half Campari the next time and it was great. (As an aside, I made the Bitter Elder and it was a bit too bitter, so I subbed half Aperol...). For me, this is really perfect when adjusted as described.

• Reply to: The Art of Choke   by   5 years 11 months ago

I like this. I made it side by side with the Art of Choke since they look pretty similar and I wanted to compare. I prefer this rum choice ( I did sub Clement VSOP since I don't have- and have not tried- the Canne), and the slightly larger quantity of lime and syrup balances the bitterness of the Cynar more to my taste.

• Reply to: Harlan County   by   5 years 11 months ago

No, I believe that I imported this from another user's database. I cannot find a good on-line reference for the quantities, although the ingredients seem correct. I don't find the syrup mentioned. I updated the attribution. If anyone can confirm the ingredients and quantities, I'd love to update the recipe and mark it as authentic.

• Reply to: Pisco Flower   by   5 years 11 months ago

Thank you, that is great.