• Reply to: Falling Leaves   by   6 years 1 month ago

Clarified that an unsweeted pear brandy (eau-de-vie) is intended, not a liqueur. ("Pear brandy" is often used to mean a sweet liqueur, not an unsweetened brandy.)

• Reply to: Applecart   by   6 years 1 month ago

Added suggestion for apple brandy / calvados and combined duplicate recipes.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   6 years 1 month ago

Corrected recipe and added attribution

• Reply to: Drink Lab #1   by   6 years 1 month ago

I love the idea of a group cocktail-making experience. I don't have the Creme de Cacao and truthfully I don't want to buy a bottle unless it's good enough to use in larger quantities. I read about an unreleased cocoa nip liqueur from Bittercube, but I'm not sure it is available yet. I also read about Mozart dry chocolate spirit. This sounds like a really cool product -- unsweetened, bitter chocolate flavor. It could presumably be used with simple syrup as needed.

I have also substituted Meletti for creme de cacao, as I find it's flavor very reminiscent of chocolate. Maybe I could experiment with that.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   6 years 1 month ago

Glad to hear it! I've been trying to track down Carpano Antica in Wisconsin. Might try a Lillet version in the meantime.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   6 years 1 month ago

The blogger at cocktailchronicles.com has passed along the idea of making a Negroni Swizzle by adding a pinch of salt and an ounce of club soda. (Original credit goes to Giuseppe Gonzalez at Painkiller in NY.) Can't wait to try it.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   6 years 1 month ago

I made it with Knob Creek. The Carpano Antica was readily apparent. Not overly sweet. A Manhattan for the adventurous. Beautiful lingering bitter tones in the finish.

• Reply to: Cuatro Naranjas   by   6 years 1 month ago

Mixology Monday LIII, hosted by Chris Amirault on eGullet, poses a bit of a tough challenge: devise a craft cocktail that would appeal to someone without much exposure to craft cocktails.

I was asked to bring a cocktail to a Mexican-themed dinner party, one where I knew that some of the folks were, uh, not as adventurous as I. While I love a well-made Margarita, I played with the orange flavors to make something both innovative and delicious. The Cuatro Naranjas has strong, complex orange flavors from the Creole Shrubb, Aperol, and Angostura Orange bitters. The Campari deepens the flavors, adds a touch of bitterness, and when combined with Aperol create a grapefruit-like undertone. Looking at the ingredients, you might think that it is hopelessly challenging. No so. The lime balances the bitter.

Even the most "amariphobic" loved it.

• Reply to: Chartreuse Swizzle   by   6 years 1 month ago

Marco contacted Kindred Cocktails with the history of his creation.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   6 years 2 months ago

A fantastic drink - the orgeat barely holds off the Angostura's bitterness, and opens it up nicely. I can't figure out why the Rye's there, but this is a winner of a counterintuitive drink.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   6 years 2 months ago

So that's why they make Angostura in those huge bottles...

• Reply to: Sunny Disposition   by   6 years 2 months ago

I added the ingredient "Dry Apricot Brandy" to distinguish high-quality, unsweetened, high-proof fruit brandy from Apricot Liqueur, which is sometimes called Apricot Brandy. I hope this eliminates potential confusion.

• Reply to: Derby   by   6 years 2 months ago

There are several versions of this cocktail. I have updated it to reflect the preference of Ted Haigh, and added a source reference to his excellent book.

Just made this with Carpano Antica. Excellent.

• Reply to: Derby   by   6 years 2 months ago

This is one of my favorite drinks out of Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. The Haigh recipe calls for an extra quarter ounce of lime juice and 1/2 ounce of curacao. I didn't have that good of a curacao on hand when I made it, but it still came out decent. Floating a mint leaf on top was key.

• Reply to: Sunny Disposition   by   6 years 2 months ago

It should be 1/2 oz apricot brandy - I change it in the recipe, but it keeps reverting to apricot liqueur for some reason. FYI, Suze tastes like a liqueur of chamomile, lime zest and new mown hay. It's sunny and warm and quite delicious.

• Reply to: Earl Grey MarTEAni   by   6 years 2 months ago

Added egg white, instructions for making infusion, references, and history.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   6 years 2 months ago

I have adopted this recipe as an official Quickstart Cocktail.

• Reply to: Daiquiri   by   6 years 2 months ago

This version was originally posed by bschneier. It has been adopted as a Quickstart Classic Cocktail.

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   6 years 2 months ago

Originally posted by bschneier. Of several variations, this one has been adopted as the reference side car and is included in the Goodies > Quickstart Cocktails > Classic Cocktails.

• Reply to: The JakeWalk   by   6 years 2 months ago

Attributed to Dave Wondrich. Created for the Jakewalk bar in Brooklyn, NY

• Reply to: Conference   by   6 years 2 months ago

I was pretty sure I'd like this one, but I also served it to someone whose idea of a cocktail requires soda (granted, he needed a strong drink). It really melded beautifully--the spiciness of the rye and sweet fruitiness of the calvados come to the forefront, made richer by the chocolate bitters.

• Reply to: Prosecutor   by   6 years 2 months ago

Pretty yellow color. Nice balance, with St. Germain yielding to the herbal Chartreuse and spicy rye. Good acid. An excellent introduction to whiskey. 5 stars.

• Reply to: Choke Your Mother   by   6 years 3 months ago

this turned out to be pretty good, at first it was incredibly savoury but a balancing sweetness came out with more dilution (???). would try it again

• Reply to: Negroni   by   6 years 3 months ago

Your post on ChowHound inspired my last night to try 1 oz Gin, 1 oz Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz Sloe Gin, 1/2 oz Campari. I thought it was good, but theCarpano Antica, dominated. Next I'm going to 1 oz Gin and 2/3 oz each of the other 3. Thanks for the great idea!

• Reply to: Pegu Club   by   6 years 3 months ago

Edited to add references, history, and an alternative ratio.