• Reply to: Smoked Anise   by   5 years 10 months ago

Thanks, Dan, for doing that, and thanks to H. Joseph Ehrmann.

• Reply to: Fumidus   by   5 years 11 months ago

Winner of the 2011 Anvil Bar and Refuge "Bar Regulars Competition"

• Reply to: Smoked Anise   by   5 years 11 months ago

H. Joseph Ehrmann kindly wrote back with the original recipe, notes, and an aritcle from November 30, 2008 in the New York Times where it was featured. I have updated the recipe's name, history, date, and reference to reflect these source references.

• Reply to: Smoked Anise   by   5 years 11 months ago

Sounds similar to the Dreamy Dorini Smoking Martini created by Audrey Saunders that I saw mentioned on eGullet:

• Reply to: Smoked Anise   by   5 years 11 months ago

I have sought confirmation for Elixir about the name, ingredients, history, and attribution for this cocktail. This is obviously not a relative of a true Martini and perhaps has a better name.

• Reply to: The Black Pearl   by   5 years 11 months ago

I received a message from Julie Reiner. "... I did not create the Black Pearl. It was created by my former head bartender at Lani Kai. His name is Joseph Swifka."

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   5 years 11 months ago

Angostura is all baking spices - heavy clove and cinnamon and allspice. Peychaud's isn't as bitter, and it gives the Sazerac a pretty reddish pink color. It also emphasizes the anise of the absinthe, with a 'tutti-frutti' overtone. My understanding is that some people use a dash of Angostura and 2-3 dashes Peychaud's, but both should be staples in any home bar.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   5 years 11 months ago

... in my house. And we make it with Rye and Lucid Absinthe, which I also don't bother to drain out, just ad a small splash to the glass, twirl and leave a little puddle in the bottom. I dont have Peychauds though, so use Angostura and recently Underberg (which seems a bit sweeter). Any comments on how Peychauds makes it different?

• Reply to: The Fiery Dog   by   5 years 11 months ago

Ha ha! "Please don't put any White Dog in a cocktail glass."

• Reply to: The Road to Tipperary:   by   5 years 11 months ago

Clarified approximate volume of berries and stout, and suggested possible mix of berries. Alas, source reference is vague.

• Reply to: Toronto   by   5 years 11 months ago

Instead of Fernet Branca I would suggest Luxardo Fernet, which has a commendable peppery character without the soapy aftertaste Branca has. A Toronto made with such has a much more pleasant impact IMHO.

• Reply to: East India Trading Company   by   5 years 11 months ago

Subbed El Dorado 5 & Flor de Cana 7 for the Appleton, and Trevor Jones 'Jonesy' Tawny "Port" for the Sherry. It's alright, sort of flip-like, but without the richness. I wanted nutmeg, but I want nutmeg with all flips. Meh.

• Reply to: Amelia Earhart   by   5 years 11 months ago

I updated the missing attribution and clarified the amount of Meyer lemon juice.

• Reply to: Amelia Earhart   by   5 years 11 months ago

I read this to my wife, who likes van Aviation, and her reaction was, "that's disgusting!". Not that it wouldn't taste good. But what's the concept here?

Any idea of the background or history?

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   5 years 11 months ago

I made Sazeracs tonight, and it's just a delicious drink. I tend to like a mix of Ryes (Rittenhouse 100 and High West Rendezvous) to give me 1 1/2 oz, then an ounce of Cognac. I tend to rinse with Herbsaint, and I'm not careful about getting it all out. I also use probably closer to 1/4 oz. simple, as a sugar cube muddled with a splash of water. I also leave the fairly long lemon zest in the drink... I want the lemon punch to counteract the sweetness of the simple.

• Reply to: Paul's Swizzle   by   5 years 11 months ago

Renamed and fixed swizzling time.

• Reply to: Fir Gin Fix   by   5 years 11 months ago

This sounds lovely. If you are at all partial to Campari, try the Shiver -- one of my top favorites.

• Reply to: Gunshop Fizz   by   5 years 11 months ago

A little bit of work, but a gorgeous color. I subbed Campari + Soda for the Sanbitter, which is impossible to find where I live. It's got nice balance, and interesting flavors, but there's a serious "Strawberry-Banana Jello" character here, and while the cucumber adds some freshness and complexity, the whallop of Peychaud's leaves sort of a metallic/phenolic bitterness. I think I admire this more than I love it.

• Reply to: Radical   by   6 years 11 hours ago

It was very much fashioned off a Liberal. I definitely think you could sub the Amer Picon, though it would change the texture. I got the Lime bitters as a part of a Scrappy's set. I like them a lot - they remind me of the oil in a lime peel. I use them mostly to reinforce flavors already in the cocktail--and many of the other Scrappy's bitters function in the same way.

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   6 years 15 hours ago

This is now more harmonious. It loses a bit of the texture with the higher acid, the violet isn't as prominent, and it seems to push the gin forward. But it's a good drink in a fruit basket sort of way - lots of subtle aroma and flavor and it kind of has a raspberry accord from the cherry (Campari), pineapple, lemon and violet. Interesting.

• Reply to: Satan's Whiskers Cocktail   by   6 years 1 day ago

Corrected recipe. Increased first 3 ingredients from 1/2 to 3/4 oz, and added missing Grand Marnier. Added attribution.

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   6 years 1 day ago

Dan,

Yeah, I think it needs 3/4 to an ounce of lemon. I also think the egg not only homogenizes the flavors, but interferes with your ability to taste sweet and sour flavors specifically. I do appreciate your trying the drink, especially considering your proclivities towards less sweet drinks.

• Reply to: Rose Window   by   6 years 1 day ago

I tasted it warm with 1/4 oz Violette, prior to the egg and liked it. As written it is a bit flat. I think the egg white is homogenizing the flavors, which makes the 1 oz of Violette tolerable. Still, a sharper cocktail would be better, and I think acid fights an egg white's dampening effects. I might try skipping the egg white (although the texture is lovely) and scaling back the Violette, or really upping the lemon, or both. Note: I'm not a huge fan of Grandma's Perfume, so a little Violette goes a long way for me.

• Reply to: Piña Ahumado   by   6 years 1 day ago

Good cocktail, but a rather sweet. Would benefit from more bite from acid and alcohol. Suggest flipping Cynar and Tequila ratios, adding more lemon, and perhaps reducing Cointreau or eliminating it add upping the orange bitters (maybe Angostura orange). Promising.

• Reply to: Red Envelope   by   6 years 2 days ago

hi, zpearson! thanks for the question. since i helped create the cocktail, i thought i would help explain it. like most bartenders, i have a fondness for the negroni. our pairing of gin with amaro stems from the negroni's philosophy of pairing gin with bitter campari and vermouth. amari and gin achieve a similar bittersweetness. the addition of aperol broadens that, while a touch of benedictine adds a hint of honey. the bittermens burlesque bitters (floral and peppery) were used to tie all the flavors together. if you have any more questions, please write to us at info@fordmixologylab.com

cheers!