• Reply to: Negroni   by   6 years 3 months ago

The blogger at cocktailchronicles.com has passed along the idea of making a Negroni Swizzle by adding a pinch of salt and an ounce of club soda. (Original credit goes to Giuseppe Gonzalez at Painkiller in NY.) Can't wait to try it.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   6 years 3 months ago

I made it with Knob Creek. The Carpano Antica was readily apparent. Not overly sweet. A Manhattan for the adventurous. Beautiful lingering bitter tones in the finish.

• Reply to: Cuatro Naranjas   by   6 years 3 months ago

Mixology Monday LIII, hosted by Chris Amirault on eGullet, poses a bit of a tough challenge: devise a craft cocktail that would appeal to someone without much exposure to craft cocktails.

I was asked to bring a cocktail to a Mexican-themed dinner party, one where I knew that some of the folks were, uh, not as adventurous as I. While I love a well-made Margarita, I played with the orange flavors to make something both innovative and delicious. The Cuatro Naranjas has strong, complex orange flavors from the Creole Shrubb, Aperol, and Angostura Orange bitters. The Campari deepens the flavors, adds a touch of bitterness, and when combined with Aperol create a grapefruit-like undertone. Looking at the ingredients, you might think that it is hopelessly challenging. No so. The lime balances the bitter.

Even the most "amariphobic" loved it.

• Reply to: Chartreuse Swizzle   by   6 years 3 months ago

Marco contacted Kindred Cocktails with the history of his creation.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   6 years 4 months ago

A fantastic drink - the orgeat barely holds off the Angostura's bitterness, and opens it up nicely. I can't figure out why the Rye's there, but this is a winner of a counterintuitive drink.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   6 years 4 months ago

So that's why they make Angostura in those huge bottles...

• Reply to: Sunny Disposition   by   6 years 4 months ago

I added the ingredient "Dry Apricot Brandy" to distinguish high-quality, unsweetened, high-proof fruit brandy from Apricot Liqueur, which is sometimes called Apricot Brandy. I hope this eliminates potential confusion.

• Reply to: Derby   by   6 years 4 months ago

There are several versions of this cocktail. I have updated it to reflect the preference of Ted Haigh, and added a source reference to his excellent book.

Just made this with Carpano Antica. Excellent.

• Reply to: Derby   by   6 years 4 months ago

This is one of my favorite drinks out of Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. The Haigh recipe calls for an extra quarter ounce of lime juice and 1/2 ounce of curacao. I didn't have that good of a curacao on hand when I made it, but it still came out decent. Floating a mint leaf on top was key.

• Reply to: Sunny Disposition   by   6 years 4 months ago

It should be 1/2 oz apricot brandy - I change it in the recipe, but it keeps reverting to apricot liqueur for some reason. FYI, Suze tastes like a liqueur of chamomile, lime zest and new mown hay. It's sunny and warm and quite delicious.

• Reply to: Earl Grey MarTEAni   by   6 years 4 months ago

Added egg white, instructions for making infusion, references, and history.

• Reply to: Mojito   by   6 years 4 months ago

I have adopted this recipe as an official Quickstart Cocktail.

• Reply to: Daiquiri   by   6 years 4 months ago

This version was originally posed by bschneier. It has been adopted as a Quickstart Classic Cocktail.

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   6 years 4 months ago

Originally posted by bschneier. Of several variations, this one has been adopted as the reference side car and is included in the Goodies > Quickstart Cocktails > Classic Cocktails.

• Reply to: The JakeWalk   by   6 years 4 months ago

Attributed to Dave Wondrich. Created for the Jakewalk bar in Brooklyn, NY

• Reply to: Conference   by   6 years 4 months ago

I was pretty sure I'd like this one, but I also served it to someone whose idea of a cocktail requires soda (granted, he needed a strong drink). It really melded beautifully--the spiciness of the rye and sweet fruitiness of the calvados come to the forefront, made richer by the chocolate bitters.

• Reply to: Prosecutor   by   6 years 4 months ago

Pretty yellow color. Nice balance, with St. Germain yielding to the herbal Chartreuse and spicy rye. Good acid. An excellent introduction to whiskey. 5 stars.

• Reply to: Choke Your Mother   by   6 years 5 months ago

this turned out to be pretty good, at first it was incredibly savoury but a balancing sweetness came out with more dilution (???). would try it again

• Reply to: Negroni   by   6 years 5 months ago

Your post on ChowHound inspired my last night to try 1 oz Gin, 1 oz Carpano Antica, 1/2 oz Sloe Gin, 1/2 oz Campari. I thought it was good, but theCarpano Antica, dominated. Next I'm going to 1 oz Gin and 2/3 oz each of the other 3. Thanks for the great idea!

• Reply to: Pegu Club   by   6 years 5 months ago

Edited to add references, history, and an alternative ratio.

• Reply to: Old Sao Paolo   by   6 years 6 months ago

The 51st Mixology Monday's theme is lime. Lime? Really? Oh, where to start. Margartita, Daiquiri, Mojito? Gimlet? Caipirinha? Yeah, Caipirinha, that's it. My Old Sao Paolo blends the spicy, assertive flavor of cachaça with the sophisticated herbal flavors of Elisir M. P. Roux. What, you ask, is Elisir M. P. Roux?

Think Green Chartreuse, sort of, but not as secretive. The <a href="http://www.crillonimporters.com/" target="_blank">importer's website</a> openly lists the 14 botanicals: Bitter Almond, Wild Angelica, Balm, Garden Balsam, Cinnamon, Coriander, Damiana, Fennel, Ginseng, Hyssop, Lemon, Marjoram, Nutmeg, and Star Anise.47% ABV. Interesting stuff.

The muddled kumquat (or, in a pinch, a Clementine or other flavorful orange) and lime bring the citrus notes. acid balance, and a bit of oomph from the peel. The Fee's Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters adds a touch of bitter spicy depth. The resulting concoction is sort of a Batida -- a flavored Caiprinha, but with more complexity than one normally expects from Brazil's most famous drink.

• Reply to: Petrucio Cocktail   by   6 years 6 months ago

Updated. Thanks.

• Reply to: Petrucio Cocktail   by   6 years 6 months ago

That first ingredient should be an American Gin, not vermouth.
    Hess used Voyager brand Gin in his Small Screen Network video.

• Reply to: Bad Seed   by   6 years 6 months ago

This is my first entry in the intriguing Mixology Monday "monthly online cocktail party. Cocktail enthusiasts from around the world concoct a cocktail around a given theme, blog about them, and the all the blog entires are summarized. I don't have a blog, but I have a cocktail database, which think is even better.

Many of the past themes have been tempting, but when I saw one featuring bitter ingredients (such as various amari) and brown spirits, I couldn't deny myself the pleasure of an entry. I had been playing around with Luxardo Abano, a lesser known amaro with an intense bitter flavor, moderate sweetness, and a strong black pepper flavor. It plays very well with Cynar, the well-known artichoke-based amaro. I had tried various different base spirits when, during my daily bicycle ride, the inspiration of aquavit came to me. Caraway -- pepper -- artichoke. What could be bad?

I find some aquavit to taste like flavored paint thinner, but the excellent Linie Aquavit is very smooth, with little alcohol burn and a present but not overpowering caraway flavor. I could happily drink it neat or with an ice cube for a change of pace. As a bonus it has a lovely golden color -- close enough to the MxMo "brown".

I suppose that technically this drink should be shaken because it has lemon in it. Shaken, stirred, whatever, the cocktail has a complex bitter profile, with a lovely balance of each of the four ingredients. One of my better efforts. If you try it, feel free to create an account and post comments here.

• Reply to: The JakeWalk   by   6 years 7 months ago

Pleasant. Added 5 more dashes of Peychaud's, which I think really wakes it up, balancing the strong St. Germain flavor.