• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Dan, frankly I'm glad you incorporated the Campari - as you know I have a bitter bell that loves to be rung, even better when it's bitter with fruits. It's a good thing that this is a gin cocktail, the botanicals with lime keep the drink in these specs from being cloying in any way. Next time I might add a touch more R&W!

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Rob, I fear that the recipe when you made this was tinkered by me. The original from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is 2 gin, 1 apricot or peach brandy, 2-3 dashes Peychaud's, and 3/4oz lime juice. The Campari addition was mine and I have no idea why the lime was halved.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Made this tonight, with Rothman & Winter apricot liqueur, 1/2 oz of lime juice and a double dose of cranberry bitters (because I'm out of Peychaud right now). Tasted balanced to me, not too sweet at all, and I think using the R&W and upping the lime juice helped. As the French say, Chacun à son gout (Each to his own gout, heh). Girlie drink? Nah!

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Sounds tasty. I improved the reference and made the float, garnish, and instructions match the St Germain website's recipe a bit closer.

• Reply to: Daisy If You Do   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Subbed out a few things - got good results: used B&B rather than Benedictine and Agave. Swapped the Whiskey Bitters for Grapefruit bitters, and used Averna as the amaro of choice. Sipping delight.

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Nice balance. Use Hendricks for a less ginny taste. And a sweeter sparkling wine.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving Apéro   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

Lillet asked for a photo, so I obliged.

• Reply to: Son of a Preacher Man   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

The Pernod rinse might overpower the nose a bit on this one, but over nice balance and good flavor.

• Reply to: 17th Century Cocktail   by   6 years 3 weeks ago

So weirdly enough, this works. It definitely gets enough orange into the drink, and the Manzanilla + Arrack give almost a smoky, Mezcal accord. This is definitely dry, but interesting.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving Apéro   by   6 years 1 month ago

Dan, thanks for the nice picture! As for the prosecco in the shot the Mionetto secco was a great call, just what I used last Thanksgiving!

• Reply to: Diamondback (Green)   by   6 years 1 month ago

I merged the Green Rose posted by Kenny into this recipe. The only difference is that Kenny's Green Rose calls for 1/2 oz of Green Chartreuse, rather than 3/4 oz. If this difference is meaningful to you, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry. It's my hope that keeping the recipes in Kindred Cocktail distinct helps you find good recipes that are interesting to you.

• Reply to: Twentieth Century Cocktail (Meletti)   by   6 years 1 month ago

Nice drink. I have a suggestion for the variation's name: "Venti Secolo" ('Twentieth Century' in Italian and it sounds cool).

• Reply to: Left Hand   by   6 years 1 month ago

Thanks, Campus Five. I've correct the recipe using the source you cited.

• Reply to: Left Hand   by   6 years 1 month ago

The recipe as currently listed is not the original, but rather an accidental variation by Damian Windsor (currently at Roger Room, Los Angeles) that I have posted on eGullet repeatedly.

The original is by Sam Ross (Milk and Honey, Little Branch, etc.).

1.5 oz Bourbon (Elijah Craig)
    .75 oz Campari
    .75 oz Carpano Antica
    2 dashes Mole Bitters

Stir, strain, up, cherry.

This recipe was originally found on the Bitterman's website, but it's been removed.
    It can be found in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=hKgGjgbfhaUC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=%22lef...
    However, it lists Bitterman's Sweet Chocolate Bitters, instead of the Mole Bitters.

• Reply to: Mexican Firing Squad   by   6 years 1 month ago

Corrected bitters -- recipe calls for regular Angostura, not Angostura Orange. Added city and estimated date.

• Reply to: Boulevardier Riff (Fred Sarkis)   by   6 years 1 month ago

This drink sounds delicious!

• Reply to: Derby   by   6 years 1 month ago

I think this one comes out pretty good, but I would cut back a little on the lime juice, or add a dash or two of simple syrup.

• Reply to: The Warning Label   by   6 years 1 month ago

This drink is insanely wonderful if you modify it by replacing the overproof rum with 3/4 ounce smith & cross and 3/4 ounce Lemon Hart 151.

• Reply to: Existential Hero   by   6 years 1 month ago

What a delicious drink! The creator should win a prize or something. (Full disclosure: I'm the creator. The name, however, is Dan's.)

• Reply to: Singapore Sling   by   6 years 1 month ago

Made this tonight, subbing Maurin Quina for the Cherry Heering. This is quite pleasant, and Tiki-ish. Pineapple's always good for texture, and there's something interesting going on between the pineapple and the Benedictine (which makes three winners in my book - pineapple + Cynar, or Benedictine or green Chartreuse). It's a bit sweetish, and quite easy to drink.

• Reply to: Linden Square   by   6 years 1 month ago

Recipe updated based upon response from creator. Name and recipe changed.

• Reply to: Root of All Evil   by   6 years 1 month ago

I love this drink! This is the drink that made me fall in love with Fernet. The first time I made it, I halved the fernet because it was just too strong of a flavor for me. In fact it was polarizing. I hated it, but wanted to love it. Now, Fernet is one of my favorite amaros to mix. Fernet will grow on you if you give it a chance. Really great drink!

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   6 years 1 month ago

I agree. Give it a go.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   6 years 1 month ago

Maybe Bluecoat (out of Philly) would work - it's citrus + earthy/juniper

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   6 years 1 month ago

Hey Dan,
    The drink is built around that specific gin, so I'm afraid it may not with anything else. I'm going to say experiment, though! The key would be to find a gin that has a similar flavor profile that will work with the Green Chartreuse and bitters well. Perhaps another american small batch is out there that will work. American gins tend to have citrus notes that english ones don't. The citrus components of the gin are what make it work here (orange and pummelo zest). As far as bitters go, the Fee bros are what I had in mind & used, but experimentation will tell if Bittermans works well too.
    It just doesn't work with london dry gin, plymouth or old tom gin, though. Do let me know what you find. I'll see if I can come up with an alternate too.
    -John