• Reply to: Far Eastern Gimlet (Gin)   by   1 month 3 days ago

Lovely and drier than expected. Subbed Death's door and lavender bitters, finished with sprig of lavender as garnish.

• Reply to: Harvard Cocktail   by   1 month 4 days ago

Many historical versions lack the grenadine called for here.  See, e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/2msxfz/not_cocktail_of_the_week_98_harvard/

This is a promising "Manhattan with brandy instead of whiskey" & the low rating may be due to the cloying sweetness I'd expect with that much grenadine.

• Reply to: Atta Boy   by   1 month 1 week ago

Decent, but probably needs the exact brand of vinegar to get it right. I tried with a different brand of fig vinegar, and it worked, but it wasn't quite sweet enough and didn't quite feel "all there".

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   1 month 1 week ago

Been making it lately with Sfumato Rabarbaro in place of the Nonino. Also very tasty.

• Reply to: Hurricane   by   1 month 1 week ago

Made with a mix of Zacapa and Smith & Cross, served it up, no mint. Like a fruity and delicious daiquiri-esque thing. Will make again.

• Reply to: Mexican Velvet   by   1 month 1 week ago

Substituted the pineapple syrup for passion fruit syrup and 1 oz of the tequila for mezcal, which made for a very tasty beverage. Might try the original too, sometime. Thanks.

• Reply to: Raven Stag   by   1 month 1 week ago

Made with Salignac VS cognac and Vya vermouth. Really tasty!

• Reply to: Bon Vivant   by   1 month 1 week ago

Solid drink. I would cut back the sweet vermouth to an ounce, though.

• Reply to: Port Light   by   1 month 1 week ago

Smugglers Cove has this as egg white, 2 oz. bourbon, 1 oz. fresh lemon juice, 3/4 oz. honey syrup, 1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup.

• Reply to: The Commodore   by   1 month 1 week ago

Isn't this recipe a Commodore #2? According to Martin Doudroffs index of cocktails there are several cocktails including Commodore in their name. Jamie Boudreau is cited as the creator of the recipe written here, but Doudroffs index refers to this book: Albert Stevens Crockett. Old Waldorf Bar Days. Aventine Press. 1931. p. 127.

• Reply to: Sex Panther   by   1 month 1 week ago

Had to try this just because of the name. I like it, though it seems like the Cynar gets lost. I gave it a 3, mainly because blackstrap always comes off a little odd to me.

• Reply to: Man with No Name   by   1 month 1 week ago

I could read 1/2 oz 'agave syrup 1:1 with water' as either a half or a quater oz of each. Tasting the drink, I think it's supposed to be 1/2 oz total - in other words, 1/4 of each. Pleasant drink, though.

• Reply to: Blackthorn English   by   1 month 1 week ago

This recipe seems under-rated. I wonder if it is the ratio or if people are using cheap/terrible sloe gin?

There are, at least, three types of cocktails that vye for the "Blackthorn" name. Sloe berries are the fruit of the Blackthorn tree & this concoction is probably the one that should have the title [though other have (humorously) proposed Irish whiskey-based concoction being credible due to where Blackthorn trees are grown].

This recipe dates to pre-1926 [when it appeared in Bolton's Sideboard]. Dave Arnold's recipe [1.5 oz Plymouth/0.75 sweet vermouth/0.75 sloe gin/2 dashes bitters] is better-balanced than this version.

• Reply to: Sunflower   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Too sweet for my liking, however Tanya likes it.

• Reply to: Maiden's Kiss (Improved)   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Drinks with 1/2oz (or more) maraschino are always interesting. It seems very tame in this one. Not bad.

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Tried it with five year old Zuidam genever instead of the rye, but the genever got lost and the drink needs that rye, I think.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />Thanks for bringing to my attention the typo I made. I meant tsp, not ounces. I carefully measured out one and one-half teaspoons. So I still stand by my recommendation to start with less simple syrup than what the recipe calls for. Perhaps many people will prefer one and one-half tsp of simple sugar in this drink. However, I believe most will find it too sweet; hence my suggestion to start of with one tsp of simple syrup, and slowly add more until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. Regardless, I thank you for pointing out the typo I made. I went back and made corrections in the original comment I made yesterday.

<br />
    <p>
    No Leopold Bros gin? Use Tanqueray 10 for a great gin heavy drink. After reading the notes on "Leopold Meeks," and the necessity to use Leopold Bros gin because of its citrusey flavor, I decided to make "Leopold Meeks" using Tanqueray 10 because it is a citrus and botonical heavy gin. I also made one other change. Instead of using Fee grapefruit bitters (which I have), I opted for Bittermens hopped grapefruit bitters.

The outcome? A great gin drink without the traditional juniper berry taste. Not having used Fee's grapefruit bitters, I can't say if my choice to use the hopped grapefruit bitters was better or worse. All I can say is that it made for a great gin drink with a definite citrus bent. I rated my variation on "Leonard Meeks" as a 4.0.

One suggestion: use only 1 tsp of simple syrup and add a small amount until the desired level of sweetness is achieved. For my taste, one and one-half tsp of simple syrup was much too sweet. Finally, I used a large Old Fashion glass, and after rinsing it with the Green Chartreuse, I poured in the liquid ingredients, floated a large ice cube, and then added the lemon twist garnish. The over-sized ice cube kept the drink nice and cold with minimal dilution. This is a drink that many will enjoy, even without the Leopold Bros gin.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Mojo: The recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp of simple :-)

• Reply to: Hot Stinger   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Tried as 1/2oz fernet branca and 1/2oz creme de cacao.  Good

• Reply to: Arsenic and Old Lace   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

The ratios used in the Bartenders Choice App are more in tune with the modern drinkers taste. 2 gin, 3/4 dry Vermouth, 1/4 Violette/Yvette and an Absinthe rinse.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

<br />I stumbled upon this recipe and your notes. The one English gin, which is readily accessible and may work, is Tanqueray 10, which is notable for its citrus and floral notes. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how things work out using Tanqueray 10.

Also, your notes go back to 2011 (my! how time flies!). In the intervening years, gin's popularity has increased. So, perhaps a microbrewery has developed a gin with the notes you are looking for. The newer American gins I have tasted or reviewed are not the light, fruity tasting gin you are looking for. Perhaps something has developed in England, however. Good luck in your search.

• Reply to: Arsenic and Old Lace   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

A posted version of the recipe lists 1/4 oz absinthe and 3/4 oz vermouth, which seems more reasonable.

Source: http://magazine.foxnews.com/amp/article/139416

• Reply to: Paddington   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Surprisingly delicate. A good brunch cocktail.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Negroni   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

<br />One fine Mezcal drink! For me, Mezcal took some getting used to because of its smokiness: some Mezcal-based drinks were barely drinkable; a fair number were OK, but...; only a few were anything to write home about. This drink, the Oaxacan Negroni, is in the last category. In fact, I couldn't write home fast enough about it. Yes, it has a smokey taste, but it's competing with other strong tastes, especially Campari. However, even the subtle notes of the Antica Formula vermouth (such as its vanilla notes) get through to make a georgous, tasteful drink that is not easy to put down--until the glass is empty. I had an easy time rating this drink, at 5.0. It is truly a wonderful drink to sip and relish its many flavors and complexity.