• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Truly fantastic cocktail. The quality of the Amontillado is not lost. You will taste the difference. I used El Maestro Sierra Amontillado 12 años but also Bodegas Rey Fernando de Castilla. Still great :-)

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This seems like a perfectly respectable drink, especially if you cut the simple a bit. I don't know any cocktail bartenders who would dismiss this out of hand.

• Reply to: Using A Tragedy To Advance Your Own Narrow Moral Crusade   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This might be the last place I thought I'd see a Suicide File reference. I need some Pineapple Gum Syrup.

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

We hesitate to publish a recipe like this. It features flavored vodka (strike one), simple fruit flavors (strike two), and a sweet (but not super-sweet) balance (foul ball). But St George published this for their vodka and we respect St George. Plus we haven't made it so we don't know really what it's like.

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Other than the rum combo and being served up, this is exactly like a Jet Pilot, which means that it tastes wonderful. While this is delicious, I think I'd rather just have a Jet Pilot over ice. I also had trouble fitting this in a coupe. Fear not, the extra did not go to waste, though.

• Reply to: B&B&B   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

3 of my favourite ingredients combined. The honey comes through, definitely, backed up by the spices in the Becherovka. My wife thought it tasted of "Grandma's Cough Syrup" but I really liked this one. 5 stars.

• Reply to: Under the Volcano   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

For a "hot" drink, try "Under the Volcano." It's really a cool drink (so to speak). For tequila lovers, this is a drink to enjoy; the Cynar adds a hint of bitterness, as does the Yellow Chartreuse, and the lime adds a touch of tartness. The Agave syrup puts a dab of sweetness; and the El Tesoro is the treasure.

What more can I say? Nothing, except that I rated this drink at 4.0; one more of these and I would've rated it 4.5--it's that good. I did make two minor changes, to suit my taste: (1) I made the Cynar a fat "fat" 1/2 oz, and (2) I added only 1/2 oz lime juice. Others may want to follow the recipe as is. Personally, I tend to add less lemon or lime juice than specified, and add more if I think it needs it. And as for the Cynar...well, I just had a hunch, and for me, it paid off...this time.

• Reply to: Heart-shaped Box   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I topped this with a little club soda and, for me, it worked to open it up a bit.

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

This is weird. It definitely produces a tobacco flavor. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it is certainly worth trying.

• Reply to: Falling Sun Manhattan   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

This drink, like a TRUE Manhattan, is a pleasant before drink, contemplative in nature. But don't be fooled, for while it is a good drink, it is not a Manhattan. Don't, however, let this dissuade you from trying this drink. Buffalo Trace comes through despite the presence of Vya sweet vermouth; the Nocino, however, is hidden, which is too bad. Perhaps a "fat" 1/4 oz" is needed. My only other thought is to try Vya bianco vermouth, to tone down the sweetness. Otherwise, I rated this drink at 3.5.

• Reply to: Poolside in Italy   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Not a fan, evokes sweat and dirt

• Reply to: Navy Fizz   by   2 months 1 hour ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   2 months 19 hours ago

More of a Jet Pilot than a Zombie - it's pretty much literally a Jet Pilot with the Herbstura separated and the absinthe/herbsaint being used as a wash, served up. Probably my favorite flavor combo, but I do prefer it over crushed ice. Still delicious.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   2 months 1 day ago

Make mine Dolin--hands down.Or up, if you prefer. Actually, I'd probably use Dolin blanc. Well, I did. I ate (or drank) my own words. Not bad. A tad sweet, which is what I expected, given I used blanc vermouth, but otherwise a reasonable drink--one that I rated 3.5.

Next time, just to find out how dry vermouth stacks up against blanc vermouth, I'll try it dry and let you know which I like better. I just may be surprised!

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   2 months 3 days ago

Dolin or Noilly Prat.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   2 months 3 days ago

Do you have a preferred vermouth (or 2) for this one?

• Reply to: The Wry Monk   by   2 months 3 days ago

One of those great cocktails to sip while listening to great jazz (e.g., Paul Desmond or Miles Davis). Very smooth; not mellow, just smooth. I used Rittenhouse rye (as I couldn't scrape up enough for the Old Overholt), but it worked like a charm.

I hesitated to make this drink because both Green Chartreuse and Benedictine can be overpowering ingredients. The Rittenhouse rye, however, kept both of them in check. The icing on the cake, so to speak, was the lemon zest--which is a must for this drink. I went a step further, and rubbed the rim of the glass with the lemon rind. It added a subtle but tasty layer to the other ingredients. I rated "The Wry Monk" at 4.5 (well deserved, I might add!).

• Reply to: Kentucky Colonel   by   2 months 4 days ago

"Colonel Kentucky" is hereby "Private Kentucky." For me, this drink is a drink in progress. Based on the comments, I used Maker's Mark and only 1/2 oz of Benedictine, and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters. I rated the drink at 2.5. The drink was flat in taste; everything could be tasted, but there was no pizzazz. Just blah!

Had I used 3/4 oz of Benedictine, the whiskey would have been overwhelmed, unless I used an overproofed whiskey. And I would definitely use 3, not 2, dashes of orange bitters. I will try my recommendations next time around, but my thinking on this recipe is that it deserves a 3.0 at best. But, the proof (as it were} is in the...!

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   2 months 4 days ago

I squooshed half a Meyer lemon in there, too...

• Reply to: Now Voyager   by   2 months 5 days ago

Meh...sorry to be a downer but this didn't work for me.  I used Depaz rhum agricole, Appleton 12, Bonal, and Bitterman's Xocolatl Mole and it just felt like a bad mix.  Maybe a different run would have helped - perhaps something stronger like Smith & Cross.  IN the end it just seemed like a good idea, with some ingredients I love that nonetheless came across as somehow being "off."  Certainly not undrinkable, but not something I'd make again, or recommend.

• Reply to: Yesterday, Today and Amaro   by   2 months 6 days ago

Excellent cocktail! One omission from the original recipe is a lemon peel, expressed and discarded.

• Reply to: Paloma (Improved)   by   2 months 1 week ago

The grapefruit syrup seems to overpower the drink with sweetness. I modified the recipe: zest of one grapefruit, juice of two grapefruits, divided, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp citric acid. Simmer zest, 1/2 of grapefruit juice, water, citric acid and sugar for 15 minutes. Let cool, add the remainder of the grapefruit juice. Chill.

I have seen this called Grapefruit Cordial.

Paloma:  2 oz. silver tequila, 2 oz grapefruit cordial (above) 1 oz. Cointreau. Shake with ice, pour into a coup, top with Proseco or Champagne, garnish with an orange twist.

• Reply to: All Jacked Up   by   2 months 1 week ago

An excellent drink "All Jacked Up" is; but sweet, I think not. One person suggested reducing the sweet vermouth. I used Dolin sweet vermouth, and it was just right. Some sweet vermouth are very sweet (e.g., Cinzano). This is a drink where the brand of sweet vermouth will make a distinct difference.

Myself, I would not reduce the sweet vermouth with this drink, primarily because it would throw off the drink's balance. The drink would, I believe, have a smokier flavor, and the Fernet Branca would also, I believe, be more pronounced. As it is, everything is in its place. In short, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

• Reply to: Pencil Thin Mustache   by   2 months 1 week ago

Quick question - do the four mint leaves go into the shaker and an extra one is the garnish? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Civil Disobedience   by   2 months 1 week ago

There's nothing disobedient about this dirnk. In fact, it's very civil! So much so, I rated it 4.0.

But two cautions: 1) If you're not used to Green Chartreuse, use a "skinny" amount, as it has a strong, somewhat bitter taste; (2) Most importantly, choose your sweet vermouth carefully!. Not all sweet vermouths taste the same. For this drink, I used Dolin sweet vermouth, and it worked well. Cinzano, with its pronounced fruity flavor, might overwhelm even the Green Chartreuse. For this drink, Dolin or Vya, and perhaps Antica Formula are the sweet vermouths I would reach for first.