• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   1 month 1 week ago

The "Colonel Carpano" is one of these easy to imbibe drinks. Bourbon and Cynar is a common mix; more often than not, however, the recipe will call for a bourbon with more overtones than Buffalo Trace. But that, I think, is the strength of the "Colonel Carpano," Using Buffalo Trace instead of, say, Jim Beam Black, results in a democratic drink--that is to say, a drink in which no one ingredient overwhelms the other. I used the ingredients as called for, except I used 3 dashes of The Bitter Truth's Aromatic Bitters, instead of Peychaud's bitters, a with good result. Overall, the "Colonel Carpano" is an enjoyable drink, which goes down easily despite its slight bitterness via Cynar. Most drinkers who do not like the much more bitter Negroni, will find the Colonel Carpano to be a favorite. This drink also lends itself to different options; (e.g., a stronger bourbon, perhaps a rye, using a different bitter, and using a different vermouth such as punt e mes.) I rated this drink at 4.5.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   1 month 1 week ago

The "Colonel Carpano" is one of these easy to imbibe drinks. Bourbon and Cynar is a common mix; more often than not, however, the recipe will call for a bourbon with more overtones than Buffalo Trace. But that, I think, is the strength of the "Colonel Carpano," Using Buffalo Trace instead of, say, Jim Beam Black, results in a democratic drink--that is to say, a drink in which no one ingredient overwhelms the other. I used the ingredients as called for, except I used 3 dashes of The Bitter Truth's Aromatic Bitters, instead of 2 dashes of Peychaud's bitters, with good result.

• Reply to: Herb Tarlek   by   1 month 1 week ago

Great name, Big Guy!

• Reply to: Pink Flag   by   1 month 1 week ago

Brava! Best tiki inspired drink I've ever had. It's the tiki tinged drink this floral/gin/herbal loving gal has been looking for her whole life!

• Reply to: Vakantie   by   1 month 1 week ago

Oh yes this is da bomb!

• Reply to: Bella Luna   by   1 month 1 week ago

Mine wasn't candylike: reduced st germain to .5, omitted syrup, probably would do better with even less st germain as it overpowers the creme yvette even at the reduced amount, sprig of rosemary which I didn't think would work but lent a nice spicy herbal touch to tame the sweetness a little.

• Reply to: Brass Flower   by   1 month 1 week ago

Very good drink, but like so many drinks with St. Germain​, you only need about half of what the recipe calls for, IMO. It's delightful stuff, but it's insanely sweet.

• Reply to: Tailspin   by   1 month 1 week ago

The Death & Co version lists a dash of orange bitters as well.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Bijou   by   1 month 1 week ago

A nice Mezcal drink with the right amount of peat. Not too sweet, as one person suggested. Myself, I recommend using 1oz of yellow chartreuse; using only 3/4oz may result in a stronger peat taste (a guess on my part). I used 3 dashes of orange bitters (2 ds of Regans' and 1of Angustora) with a nice result. With this drink, I also used an ample amount of lemon zest, which mixed well with the other ingredients. I rated the "Oaxacan Bijou" at 4.0; I almost went to 4.5--I obviously liked the drink!

• Reply to: Venetian   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Like several others who commented on this drink, I also found the "Venetian" to be a tasty and enjoyable drink. Unlike Dan, I enjoy the taste of Amaretto, but only if it's in the background enough so that the drink is not too sweet and the other ingredients are not overwhelmed. Fortunately, the drink was not too sweet and the other ingredients held their own.

Along with Campari and Disaronno, I used Tanqueray Ten gin (which can hold its own) and I paired it with a dry Spanish vermouth that is infused with unspecified herbs (my 1st use of this vermouth, and it worked well in this drink). For those interested in this unique vermouth, the company's name is Priorat Natur and the product is simply named Vermut. It is light brown in color and is bottled at 32 proof. If you like to explore vermouths (and are looking for a unique dry vermouth), I recommend this one. I paid $26 (in Michigan). By the way, I rated the "Venetian" at 4.0.

• Reply to: Venetian   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Surprisingly fun template to play with. I enjoyed both Campari and Cynar variants. Would like to try Amer Picon here in the future.

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Made this with some suggested mods (50:50 dry to sweet vermouth, kicked up an Old Tom gin to 2oz). A very nicely balanced sweet/bitter character with some aged sherry notes from the fortified wines and a cleN refreshing character of the gin.

• Reply to: Churchill   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Not bad. I shook in a shaker since it has fresh lime juice. I made with dewars. Well balanced for a scotch cocktail.

• Reply to: Venetian   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I liked it, found it to be pretty well balanced as a campari fan. I've been looking for more dry vermouth cocktails and this is one of my favorites so far.

• Reply to: The Crafty and Elusive Elk   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This is just about my favourite cocktail of all, though Sombra isn't available in my market so I've have to make do with less assertive brands. Thanks for sharing it. We are not worthy.

• Reply to: Whirl-Y-Gig   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated this. Rewrote instructions and notes to avoid copyright. Added date. Edited the bitters - maybe in 2014 those were hard to find, but they're pretty available today. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: A Polite Discretion   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

An easy to make and easy to drink cocktail. Somewhat sweet, but not overly so; the rum sees to that. One might be tempted to put in a TAD more Gran Classico; I know I was (but didn't). Maybe next time. I rated this one at 4.0. Meanwhile, drink up but drive responsibly.

• Reply to: The Grand Street   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

The Death & Co. book calls for the grapefruit peel to be muddled in the mixing glass, which I highly recommend.

• Reply to: Suzette   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Because of  the comment made by one person that the given recipe was only a "passable Negroni," that lacked depth, I decided to see if I could come up with changes that would overcome the flaw(s) as he/she saw them.

1.  First, I changed gins, from Bombay Saphire to Liberator Gin, made by Valentine Co. in Detroit (an excellent gin, I might add.) Liberator gin is lighter in taste than Bombay Saphire.
    2. Next, I changed the vermouth to Cocchi Vermouth de Torino (which is less sweet and somewhat earthy in flavor--but not too earthy) than the traditional red sweet vermouth.  If that is not available, I recommend Dolin Blanc.It is a white vermouth that is not as sweet as the traditional red vermouth..
    3. Finally, I used Salers (only because I didn't have Suze.)
    4. The amount of gin and Salers was not changed, but I used only 1 oz of vermouth.

The resultant cocktail did not overwhelm Salers, and given my experience tasting Negroni varients, I was quite satisfied with the resultant cocktail, and  would rate it as 4 stars.

I would be interested in hearing from others about the changes I made.

• Reply to: Snow   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly. Removed the creator's name from the drink as per the link. Estimated the club soda volume. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Unfinished Business   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

The second time around isn't always better. I made "Unfinished Business" once more, five months later, not realizing I had commented on this drink already. However, my thoughts about "Unfinished Business" remain unchanged. Consequently, I rated it 3.0 again.

Two thoughts came to mind the second time around: (1) Use less gin or more Bonal to balance out the taste of the ingredients. As is, the gin overwhelms the other ingredients. Perhaps using a smoother gin, such as Knickerbocker, might help. I added a tad more Boanal, and that resulted in a better tasting drink. (2) Using the previously mentioned bitters plus the orange zest definitely help. There may be a better bitters than Burlesque; suggestions, anybody? I think using Cocchi Vermouth di Torino instead of Cocchi Americano may help. The former has more depth and overtones than the latter--but experience will tell.

• Reply to: Otto's Kin   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Loved it.  Used Ron zacapa

• Reply to: Vegetal Vector   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Quick question - is it Laird's applejack and Fernet Branca? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Boulevardon   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

What to do when you don't have the suggested bourbon? That was my predicament with the Boulevardon, so I used an ol' standby, Elijah Craig. The outcome was a drink that was too sweet for my tastebuds, which surprised me because I tend to like drinks on the sweet side. But this drink was too sweet, and the bourbon was w-a-y in the background. I rated the drink at 3.0.

So, I made two changes, one of which was significant. Using the same proportions, I used Averna, Dolin blanc vermouth (the major change), and Jim Beam Black (98 proof). The result? Great. Not too sweet and the bourbon was right where it belonged (front and center), without overpowering the other ingredients. I rated this libation at 4.0!

The lesson learned? In this case, switch from a sweet vermouth to a blanc or blanco vermouth and use a high proof bourbon. Doing so should give you a satisfying libation.

• Reply to: Saints and Sinners   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I'm skeptical about this drink. It's surprisingly sweet for something with only a teaspoon of syrup. The bitters do help though. I do see now why so few drinks have grapefruit juice stand alone; it does seem to cry for a hint of lime.