• Reply to: Quill   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I'm surprised that I like the "Quill" as much as I do. I thought that with the absinthe I wouldn't rate the libation any higher than 2.5. The truth be told, however, I rated the "Quill" at 3.5. But doing so took some doing on my part: (1) I used a solid gin--Liberator gin, which is made by Valentine Distilling in Detroit; (2) I used a great absinthe--absinthe verte by St. George; and (3) Most surprising, I did not use one of my favorite sweet vermouths--Antica Formula--instead I used (with my fingers crossed) Cinzano Rosso because of its pronounced sweet and fruity flavors. And of course I threw in some Campari for good measure.

What I got was what I hoped for: a Negroni-like cocktail, somewhat sweet and somewhat bitter, with the absinthe flavor perceptible but in the background. I think the Cinzano accounts, to a great degree, for the success of my efforts. For sure, this is a libation for those who like the traditional Negroni AND who like to experiment. Go for it!

• Reply to: Baboso   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is a wonderful, full- flavored drink--even without the charred habanero. For the orange bitters, I used Fee Bros.' gin barrel-aged orange bitters. I rated the "Baboso" at 4.5. With the charred habanero, it might have been a 5.0!

Given all of the ingredients, perhaps a better name for this libation is "Mulligan stew."

• Reply to: Lost Lake   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is superb: top-shelf balance of sweet, sour, and bitter -- and plenty of oomph without being overbearing.  The passion-fruit, lime, and pineapple blend as harmoniously as the rum, maraschino, and Campari.  I used Smith & Cross for the rum and it was aces.

• Reply to: Dark and Orangey   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I like this quite a bit.  It's like a spicier, orangey-er daiquiri. I almost want to throw a little club soda on top of it, cause I'm crude that way.

• Reply to: Rubescent Glow   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

The "Rubescent Glow" is, in my opinion, a great drink. I used Baker's 7 year (107 proof) for the bourbon. The cocktail is well-balanced, and if sipped slowly, you'll enjoy multiple overtones from all of the ingredients, including both cherry notes. Don't hesitate to make this drink. It will surely end up on your list of favorite cocktails. Sip and enjoy! I rated this drink at 4.5.

• Reply to: Springtime in Manhattan   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I hesitated making this libation, as I lacked the black mission fig bitters, but because "Springtime in Manhattan" is a variation of one of my favorite cocktails (the traditional "Manhattan"), I pressed on. Given the grapefruit forward overtones of this libation, I used 6 drops of Bittercube's Jamaican #2 bitters and 6 drops of Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters as a substitute for the black mission fig bitters.

The black mission fig is a favorite fruit of mine, so I have a hunch how the fig bitters would taste in this drink. What I used, I'm sure, did not even approximate the fig bitters; however, the bitters substitutes proved to be suitable to the task, and I would recommend them if you, too, lack the black mission fig bitters. I easily rated "Springtime in Manhattan" at 4.5. How would you rate this libation? And do you have any suggestions to replace the fig bitters?

• Reply to: Lord Sheffield   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Finally, a worthwhile use for Crème Yvette.

• Reply to: Blackthorn English   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

<br />I tried the revised "Blackthorn English" recipe submited by commentor noksagt. I used Plymouth Gin, Hayman's Sloe Gin, Dolin sweet vermouth, and Bitter Truth's aromatic bitters. Personally, I did not find this particular cocktail to be well balanced. I don't know whether Hayman's sloe gin is considered a better brand, but I thought it overwhelmed the rest of the ingredients. If I were to make this libation again, I would probably turn to Cinzano's sweet vermouth, which has pronounced fruity overtones thatmay soften the sloe gin. Also, noksagt did not specify the type of bitters to us; in the future I will probably fall back on orange bitters. Regardless, I rated noksagt's suggested version of "Blackthorn English" at 3.0.

• Reply to: Black Hawk Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I added the 1/4 of simple -- a little less.  Great balance of sweet, sour, and bourbon-y oomph. I used Old Forester Signature, which worked splendidly.

• Reply to: Le Whiff   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Pretty good cocktail man.  Thanks.  I used Debonett Rouge in place of the Besk for availability purposes and it's pretty damn good.  Very dry but the Lemoncello adds a tiy bit of sweetness and citrus.  Very good.

• Reply to: Corpse Defiler #666   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I love the name! Rock on! \m/ \m/

• Reply to: 18th Century   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I was o_O on the lime + cacao, but it's pretty darn good. Huh.

• Reply to: Negrino   by   3 months 2 days ago

Little "Negroni." A very apt name for this wonderful drink. The "Negrino" is a somewhat small drink--weighing in at a mere 2 1/4 oz. It's meant to be sipped and enjoyed, slowly. The gin and Campari give this drink a taste similar to a Negroni, but the Punte e Mes and Fernet Branca give the drink a slighty different taste, especially with the lemon twist. For Negroni lovers, the Negrino will be an appreciated diversion. For those who have mixed thoughts about the Negroni, give it a try--the drink is less bitter, especially if you use 1 oz of a top shelf gin. For those who have never tried a Negroni, this drink is a good place to start.

To make this drink, I used Tanqueray Ten (I didn't have the Megellan), and I used a full ounce. Also, I used a shy 1/4 oz of Fernet Branca. And the lemon zest/twist was the icing on the cake. I quickly and easily rated the Negrino at 4.0--almost 4.5. How would yout rate this drink?<br />

• Reply to: Ford Cocktail   by   3 months 2 days ago

Whitechapel's take on this is 1 1/2 ounces Old Tom gin, preferably Jensen,1 ounce blanc vermouth, preferably Dolin, and 1/4 ounce Bénédictine: http://punchdrink.com/recipes/whitechapels-ford-cocktail/

• Reply to: Corpse Defiler #666   by   3 months 5 days ago

A surprisingly easy-to-drink drink. You'd expect something different because of the Campari and lemon juice, but everything blends well. There is a bitterness reminiscent of a Negroni, but the Bonal and lemon juice turn the Negroni bitterness into something a little more pleasant, thanks to the rye also (I used Rittenhouse 100). Although I rated the drink at 3.5, I was tempted to rate it at 4.0. Try this one; it just be your cup of tea!

• Reply to: The Book Deal   by   3 months 6 days ago

Ha! I found a cocktail called Eeyore's Requiem that I wanted to try and came to look see if there were similar cocktails by ingredients and found a cocktail made by the friend who introduced me to this site. Bitter hearts love alike!

• Reply to: The Verdure   by   3 months 6 days ago

Tasty and refreshing! A Spring cocktail with some depth.

• Reply to: Cloak and Dagger   by   3 months 6 days ago

What recipe do you like for the black pepper tincture? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Sloppy Possum   by   3 months 6 days ago

Soothing

• Reply to: Silvio's Algorithm   by   3 months 1 week ago

Higher math was always a stumbling block, so I was hesitant to try "Silvio's Algorithm." Until I looked at the ingredients, that is! I knew from the beginning that this drink was the Drinker's Drink. And the proof was in the pudding, as it were.

I used Bols Genever Amsterdam gin--barrel-aged as specified, Angel's Envey, a good, but not well known bourbon--this batch distilled in port wine barrels at 86.6 proof, a skinney Fernet Branca, Aperol, and Amaro Meletti. And lemon zest, to finish it off. This is an incredibly smooth drink. The Meletti is there, as is the Aperol. Both provide a slight but necessary bitterness. The Genever gin sits quietly in the background, giving room for the bourbon to speak up, but softly so. And the lemon zest is a necessary must, to round out the flavors.

There is a lot of alcohol in this drink, so plan accordingly. Two of these says get an alternate driver! But this drink is like a potato chip; it's hard to stop with one. So enjoy, but be careful. I rate "Silvio's Algorithim at a well-deserved 5.0.

• Reply to: White Negroni   by   3 months 1 week ago

It bothers me slightly that white negronis are vibrantly yellow (like Suze).  Good drink, though.

• Reply to: Wedderburn or Bite   by   3 months 1 week ago

A nice variation: split the rum between Smith & Cross and Appleton V/X, split the amaro between Cynar and Meletti. Slightly less funk, but a bit more expansive flavor-wise.

• Reply to: Boulevardier 12   by   3 months 1 week ago

I found the "Boulevardier 12" to be both a fascinating and tasty drink. Why fascinating? Well, it gave the drinker so many options: Bourbon or rye? which bourbon or rye? which sweet vermouth? and especially, which amaro?

I decided to play it safe, and it worked. I used Jim Beam Black bourbon, Vya sweet vermouth, Picon Amer, and Bittermens Xocolatl Mole, along with the Campari and a hefty orange twist. This was a smooth, lightly sweet drink, with slightly bitter overtones and a hint of chocolate. I rated this concoction at 4.5. It don't get much better than this!

Next time, I will try rye (not sure of the brand, as I have five options), also I'll try Dolin sweet vermouth, and finally I'll throw in Averna or Montenegro for the amaro. It should hit a rating of 4.0, at least. Wish me luck!

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   3 months 1 week ago

The "Colonel Carpano" is one of these easy to imbibe drinks. Bourbon and Cynar is a common mix; more often than not, however, the recipe will call for a bourbon with more overtones than Buffalo Trace. But that, I think, is the strength of the "Colonel Carpano," Using Buffalo Trace instead of, say, Jim Beam Black, results in a democratic drink--that is to say, a drink in which no one ingredient overwhelms the other. I used the ingredients as called for, except I used 3 dashes of The Bitter Truth's Aromatic Bitters, instead of Peychaud's bitters, a with good result. Overall, the "Colonel Carpano" is an enjoyable drink, which goes down easily despite its slight bitterness via Cynar. Most drinkers who do not like the much more bitter Negroni, will find the Colonel Carpano to be a favorite. This drink also lends itself to different options; (e.g., a stronger bourbon, perhaps a rye, using a different bitter, and using a different vermouth such as punt e mes.) I rated this drink at 4.5.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   3 months 1 week ago

The "Colonel Carpano" is one of these easy to imbibe drinks. Bourbon and Cynar is a common mix; more often than not, however, the recipe will call for a bourbon with more overtones than Buffalo Trace. But that, I think, is the strength of the "Colonel Carpano," Using Buffalo Trace instead of, say, Jim Beam Black, results in a democratic drink--that is to say, a drink in which no one ingredient overwhelms the other. I used the ingredients as called for, except I used 3 dashes of The Bitter Truth's Aromatic Bitters, instead of 2 dashes of Peychaud's bitters, with good result.