• Reply to: The Arbitrary Nature of Time   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

A tasty cocktail with a Negroni-like taste, yet it is not a Negroni variant. A comment was made about the drink being somewhat sweet. Personally, I found the sweetness from the Cherry Heering to be off-set by the bitterness of the Campari. All this week, I searched Kindred Cocktails for a new drink that I would find very satisfying--all totaled that came to about five or six drinks, with none satifying my quest for a good cocktail. That is until I stumbled upon "The Arbitrary Nature of Time." This cocktail ended my nearly week-long quest for a satisfying one. I believe imbibers who enjoy a good Negroni, will definitely enjoy this drink. Personally, I rated this drink at 4.

For those who find this drink too sweet, I would not add dry vermouth as one person suggested. I would simply reduce the amount of Heering. Perhaps reducing the amount from 1 oz to 3/4 oz would be a good starting point. Then, if its not sweet enough, you can add a little more, until you attain the level of sweetness you like. It's always easier to add a little more, and not have to start all over; whereas, if you want less, you have to start from the beginning--often times tossing out a batch of expensive ingredients.

I suspect, however, that most people will be satisfied with the cocktail as given, and if not, simply reducing the amount of Cherry Heering will give them a cocktail they will not find too sweet, and will be able to enjoy.

• Reply to: Not Waving But Drowning   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Huh. So it is. I'm happy to take this one down, since Waugh's came first.

• Reply to: Not Waving But Drowning   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Thomas Waugh's One, One, One (older, but more recently added to Kindred) is nearly identical.

• Reply to: Scottish Autumn   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

There's no telling - this drink is a riff on the cited Autumn Leaves in the way that a Gimlet is a riff on a Martini. Taking a guess, either the regular, the Barrel Aged or something fruity like cherry. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: You Only Live Twice   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

The lemon flavor really "pops" without being overly sour.  I feel like the Bonal gets a little lost.

• Reply to: Scottish Autumn   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

<br />Which of the many Fee Bros bitters?
    How much Strega in place of the Drambuie?

• Reply to: Spuyten Duyvil   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

"Strain" suggests there's ice in the stir, I'd think.

• Reply to: East India Trading Company   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Yeah, that East India Solera is relatively sweet - PX cut with some Amontillado would be better.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: East India Trading Company   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Subbed with amontillado, sans mole bitters; would not advise doing that

• Reply to: Negroni d'Or   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

<br />A lovely drink, but even more so than one of my favorite cocktails, the traditional Negroni. Why so? The use of Gran Classico instead of Campari. Gran Classico gives a bitterness that is a hallmark of the Negroni, only less so. This is the cocktail of choice, I believe, for those who would like a less bitter Negroni-syle cocktail. But don't sell short the Dolin Blanco, which has a sweetness to it, but less than the sweet vermouth used in the traditional Negroni.

Consequently, the Negroni d'Or deserves a good gin, one wiith a nice bouquet. Tanqueray Ten, Beefeater 24, and Citadelle come to mind. Without the Campari and sweet vermouth, the gin is able to peek its head out a little more and make its presence known. This is truly a Negroni of gold!

• Reply to: Spuyten Duyvil   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

I like it, but a couple of points. This is a large drink - 4.25oz - well beyond my cocktail glasses. Is an Old Fashioned (or other) glass intended? And does 'no ice' mean 'not on the rocks' or 'room temperature'? Without dilution it might be closer to fitting in a glass, but a warm Manhattan doesn't seem right.

• Reply to: Oh, My Word   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Punch has it as green Chartreuse. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Oh, My Word   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Neither the recipe here nor in the NYT specifies whether to use green or yellow Chartreuse. The picture in the NYT would suggest yellow, but that is just a guess. Any one know?

• Reply to: Rube   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Ha, that was me!

• Reply to: Bye Bye Birdie   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Very nice.  Heavy on Maraschino; recommend 1.25 pear vodka.

• Reply to: Dead Man's Mule   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Amazing combination. Too sweet for my taste as written though. I got back the orgeat to half an ounce and that was just right.

• Reply to: Nom de plume   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Good, but as with so many drinks using St. Germain, it was too sweet. Cutting it down to only half an ounce gave a much nicer result.

• Reply to: Muletide   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Curated this slightly. I took a guess at how much pale ale makes a "splash" - I'm calling it 1.5 ounces. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

This is VERY good and exceptionally complex. I love the funkiness of the rum coming through.

• Reply to: Rosita   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

I had this first at Brick & Mortar in Cambridge, Massachusetts (Misty Kalkofen's place) but it was mezcal instead of tequila and it was 1:1:1 mezcal, vermouth (perfect as here), and campari.

I make the mezcal version of this at home with Gran Classico instead of Campari and it is among my very favorite cocktails in this modified form.

• Reply to: Stovetop Challenge   by   2 months 8 hours ago

I have tried three variations of Dubonnet Rouge and gin (including this one), and I've been disappointed in each. I've used Tanqueray Ten and Bombay Sapphire. Perhaps another brand of gin will produce better results.

I've come to the conclusion, however, that the combination of gin and Dubonnet Rouge just do not a good cocktail maketh. A three rating is the best I can give any of the gin and Dubonnet cocktails I've tried.

• Reply to: Amer Picon   by   2 months 1 day ago

Matt,

If I remember them correctly, you might want to stiffen the Picon Biere with some source of gentian to use it as a sub for Amer Picon. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Amer Picon   by   2 months 2 days ago

I was on vacation in Australia and found a sole bottle of Picon Biére lying on the shelves in one of the local spirits shops in Sydney which I quickly grabbed and brought back. Can I use Picon Biére in cocktails (specifically Brooklyn) or is it just for use with beer? -Matt

• Reply to: Floral Explosion   by   2 months 2 days ago

Cocktail came out a bit on the large size. I'd do 3/4oz of the pisco/chartreuse/suze instead of the full oz instead.

• Reply to: PS3   by   2 months 2 days ago

Delicious with Tin Cup Colorado whiskey. I used a barspoon of Campari.