• Reply to: Monk's Revenge   by   2 months 1 week ago

I agree with Dan. This cocktail is very very sweet. But I disagree with the opinion, and I think it is delightful! If you like a sweet pow, like I do, then enjoy.

• Reply to: The Long Journey   by   2 months 1 week ago

A highly recommended short trip for "The Long Journey." For Cynar lovers, this drink is a disappointment. Ditto for Bonal lovers. Likewise for lovers of a good cocktail. Its taste is light, and there's no "body." The Sherry overwhelms the Cynar, and the Bonal. Were I to try and rescue "The Long Journey," my first step would be to reduce the amount of Sherry to 1 oz. I would also either trade in the celery bitter for another, or add another--probably the latter.

I rate this drink at 2.5, and call it a work in progress.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I played up the grapefruit by adding a drizzle of pink grapefruit oleo saccharum. Nice.

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

As a curator here, I'd like to share my thoughts about this drink and why I really was on the fence about approving it. There are multiple issues here. First, it is meant to mimic a kid's juice box (Hi-C's Ecto Cooler). Second, it's about as basic of a drink as you can really get. It's a slightly modified Lemon Drop with better vodka - the other drinks at the link don't inspire a lot of confidence. On the plus side, the drink comes from a professional bartender (her name is Jenny, not Jerry though) and it uses what is really a very good quality spirit, though it's one that usually throws up a red flag for me. On the negative side, it's pretty basic, it's a very slightly modified version of a 'dark ages' classic, it violates a couple of points of the Style Guidelines and it's designed to appeal to the sensibilities of someone who never figured out that an adult cocktail shouldn't taste like an 8 year old's after school drink.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I have to agree with Rafa. See nothing wrong here. A well made vodka paired with fresh juice, simple and a bit of kiwi. What's not to love?

• Reply to: Heart of Darkness   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

A great cocktail and favorite with my guests. I use Bacardi 8 Ãnos Rum.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Truly fantastic cocktail. The quality of the Amontillado is not lost. You will taste the difference. I used El Maestro Sierra Amontillado 12 años but also Bodegas Rey Fernando de Castilla. Still great :-)

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

This seems like a perfectly respectable drink, especially if you cut the simple a bit. I don't know any cocktail bartenders who would dismiss this out of hand.

• Reply to: Using A Tragedy To Advance Your Own Narrow Moral Crusade   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

This might be the last place I thought I'd see a Suicide File reference. I need some Pineapple Gum Syrup.

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

We hesitate to publish a recipe like this. It features flavored vodka (strike one), simple fruit flavors (strike two), and a sweet (but not super-sweet) balance (foul ball). But St George published this for their vodka and we respect St George. Plus we haven't made it so we don't know really what it's like.

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Other than the rum combo and being served up, this is exactly like a Jet Pilot, which means that it tastes wonderful. While this is delicious, I think I'd rather just have a Jet Pilot over ice. I also had trouble fitting this in a coupe. Fear not, the extra did not go to waste, though.

• Reply to: B&B&B   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

3 of my favourite ingredients combined. The honey comes through, definitely, backed up by the spices in the Becherovka. My wife thought it tasted of "Grandma's Cough Syrup" but I really liked this one. 5 stars.

• Reply to: Under the Volcano   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

For a "hot" drink, try "Under the Volcano." It's really a cool drink (so to speak). For tequila lovers, this is a drink to enjoy; the Cynar adds a hint of bitterness, as does the Yellow Chartreuse, and the lime adds a touch of tartness. The Agave syrup puts a dab of sweetness; and the El Tesoro is the treasure.

What more can I say? Nothing, except that I rated this drink at 4.0; one more of these and I would've rated it 4.5--it's that good. I did make two minor changes, to suit my taste: (1) I made the Cynar a fat "fat" 1/2 oz, and (2) I added only 1/2 oz lime juice. Others may want to follow the recipe as is. Personally, I tend to add less lemon or lime juice than specified, and add more if I think it needs it. And as for the Cynar...well, I just had a hunch, and for me, it paid off...this time.

• Reply to: Heart-shaped Box   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I topped this with a little club soda and, for me, it worked to open it up a bit.

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

This is weird. It definitely produces a tobacco flavor. I'm not sure if I like it or not, but it is certainly worth trying.

• Reply to: Falling Sun Manhattan   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

This drink, like a TRUE Manhattan, is a pleasant before drink, contemplative in nature. But don't be fooled, for while it is a good drink, it is not a Manhattan. Don't, however, let this dissuade you from trying this drink. Buffalo Trace comes through despite the presence of Vya sweet vermouth; the Nocino, however, is hidden, which is too bad. Perhaps a "fat" 1/4 oz" is needed. My only other thought is to try Vya bianco vermouth, to tone down the sweetness. Otherwise, I rated this drink at 3.5.

• Reply to: Poolside in Italy   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Not a fan, evokes sweat and dirt

• Reply to: Navy Fizz   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   3 months 7 hours ago

More of a Jet Pilot than a Zombie - it's pretty much literally a Jet Pilot with the Herbstura separated and the absinthe/herbsaint being used as a wash, served up. Probably my favorite flavor combo, but I do prefer it over crushed ice. Still delicious.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   3 months 1 day ago

Make mine Dolin--hands down.Or up, if you prefer. Actually, I'd probably use Dolin blanc. Well, I did. I ate (or drank) my own words. Not bad. A tad sweet, which is what I expected, given I used blanc vermouth, but otherwise a reasonable drink--one that I rated 3.5.

Next time, just to find out how dry vermouth stacks up against blanc vermouth, I'll try it dry and let you know which I like better. I just may be surprised!

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   3 months 2 days ago

Dolin or Noilly Prat.

• Reply to: Jezebel   by   3 months 3 days ago

Do you have a preferred vermouth (or 2) for this one?

• Reply to: The Wry Monk   by   3 months 3 days ago

One of those great cocktails to sip while listening to great jazz (e.g., Paul Desmond or Miles Davis). Very smooth; not mellow, just smooth. I used Rittenhouse rye (as I couldn't scrape up enough for the Old Overholt), but it worked like a charm.

I hesitated to make this drink because both Green Chartreuse and Benedictine can be overpowering ingredients. The Rittenhouse rye, however, kept both of them in check. The icing on the cake, so to speak, was the lemon zest--which is a must for this drink. I went a step further, and rubbed the rim of the glass with the lemon rind. It added a subtle but tasty layer to the other ingredients. I rated "The Wry Monk" at 4.5 (well deserved, I might add!).

• Reply to: Kentucky Colonel   by   3 months 4 days ago

"Colonel Kentucky" is hereby "Private Kentucky." For me, this drink is a drink in progress. Based on the comments, I used Maker's Mark and only 1/2 oz of Benedictine, and 3 dashes of Angostura bitters. I rated the drink at 2.5. The drink was flat in taste; everything could be tasted, but there was no pizzazz. Just blah!

Had I used 3/4 oz of Benedictine, the whiskey would have been overwhelmed, unless I used an overproofed whiskey. And I would definitely use 3, not 2, dashes of orange bitters. I will try my recommendations next time around, but my thinking on this recipe is that it deserves a 3.0 at best. But, the proof (as it were} is in the...!

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   3 months 4 days ago

I squooshed half a Meyer lemon in there, too...