• Reply to: Sangre y Arena   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Almost feel like giving it 2.5, if it was possible.  There's definitely the possibility for an excellent cocktail here - the mezcal and cherry heering are an odd pair but they kind've work.  Heering tends to be so sweet and overpowering, especially with blended scotch in the original Blood and Sand, but mezcal has the strength of flavor to really stand up to it better.  And yet...something's not quite reight here.  It's still a little too sweet.  Not sure what the answer is, but it just seems like it could be tweaked and optimized.  As it stands, it's still a perfectly tasty and interesting drink, and well worth making if you have the ingredients.

• Reply to: Cucumber Calypso   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is a great cocktail, but I recommend it on the rocks. It's easier to enjoy for newcomers to Campari, and anyway the change in taste as it dilutes is really interesting and enjoyable.

• Reply to: A Royal Union   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Quite tasty, but I'd cut the bitters to one dash, otherwise it overwhelms the other ingredients.

• Reply to: Old Spanish   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I love sherry based cocktails and this is a winner.  I tried it with both regular cynar and cynar 70 and prefer the former, but the latter is an option for those who prefer drier cocktails or with a sweeter sherry.  I used lustau sherry and clear creek cassis.

• Reply to: Varnish   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Can confirm: It's nice with Islay whisky, as Dan suggested. I've tried it with both Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

• Reply to: The Little Sparrow   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Really tasty

• Reply to: A Farewell to Hemingway   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I had a bottle of kirsch of finish and  this was a good choice to experiment with.  I used maurin quina and ginger ale in place of the syrup/soda.  Very refreshing and drinkable but still interesting with the cherry brandy.

• Reply to: Strega   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I also ran into this delicious Strega cocktail - The Witch's Word: http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. I think Strega and Domaine de Canton go great together!

• Reply to: Elysium Fizz   by   3 months 3 days ago

The problem with grapefruit juice is that it isn't bitter enough. I subbed for 1/2 ounce of ea. grapefruit and lime juice.

• Reply to: Amaro Amore   by   3 months 3 days ago

Not a big fan (little too sweet) not bad though.

• Reply to: Broken English   by   3 months 3 days ago

I love it, Wifey hates it. Such is Fernet ...

• Reply to: Blooey Blues   by   3 months 4 days ago

Phenomenal! I am impressed at the creator's thought to combine these items. If you have the ingredients which are cheap if you want it to be, make it!

• Reply to: Stiggins' Fancy Flip   by   3 months 5 days ago

I was looking for something to do with Stiggin's pineapple rum, and I'm very happy to have found this.
    I also *just* happened to have some leftover demerara syrup from a previous cocktail session.

I used st.george agricole, which gave this cocktail a funkier nose than probably intended, but it was a point of interest instead of a point against it.
    Overall, Stiggin's lends itself very well to this cocktail as it brightens the entire palette.
    I'd thought a 1/2 oz of allspice was a bit excessive, but it worked well. Next time I'll try a little less allspice and see if the drink remains as tasty.

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   3 months 6 days ago

It is sweet, but also tart, bitter, herbal, floral.  I looked at the recipe thinking I'd end up adding more lime, but it's tart as is.  Granted,  this recipe is for those that aren't afraid to use  violette more than a barspoon at a time...  one could always add more base spirit or top with soda

• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   3 months 6 days ago

Made an altered version using 2 oz rye and a 1/2 oz of orange oleo saccharum and two dashes of Angostura. Made me think of the orange-forward on-tap Old Fashioned at the Union Kitchen (Copenhagen) I had a few years ago. Really nice and simple.

• Reply to: Arancia Julius   by   3 months 6 days ago

Curated this - rewrote instructions to avoid copyright, added date. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   3 months 6 days ago

Cute name. I'm surprised this isn't too sweet though.

• Reply to: Plumb the Soul   by   3 months 1 week ago

Curated this. Removed the long quote from Toby for copyright reasons - it's at the cited link. Added the grapefruit peel garnish, removed "fresh" from lemon juice... we know better. Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. As an aside, this develops grapefruit flavors without the use of grapefruit - I'm not sure that adding the grapefruit bitters is necessary. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   3 months 1 week ago

Note that the reference used also mentions nothing about ice & this is often recommended as a room temperature cocktail.

See also The Rebennack on this site.

• Reply to: The Rebennack   by   3 months 1 week ago

Contrast with Rebannack on this site. Also note that Chris has a video showing it stirred with ice and strained into an ice-filled goblet, so it seems to serve both as a room temperature flask cocktail and a nice chilled sipper at the bar.

• Reply to: The Blur   by   3 months 1 week ago

I love the flavors of a last word cocktail but not the sweetness. This is a great solution, very light and refreshing.

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   3 months 1 week ago

A+ name. Hope I one day git gud enough to drink it.

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   3 months 1 week ago

So it turns out that there are a couple versions of this drink floating around the internet, including a Youtube video of Chris Hannah making the drink. I have curated this one to conform with the cited link and added a link to the Rye/Averna/Creole Shrubb version as well. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   3 months 1 week ago

Similar in concept to my Bernet Frankenstein.