• Reply to: Sunset Flip   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I subbed Glenfiddich as I didn't have Speyside, and this tastes amazing. Thanks!

• Reply to: Midnight Ride   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

A bit too sweet for me. If I make it again I might sub Campari for the Aperol or Punt e Mes for the Antica.

• Reply to: Flannel & Rye   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this slightly: Changed 1/4 oz allspice dram to 1 rinse of allspice dram to conform with the instructions. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 5th Amendment   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Used one dash orange and one dash peach bitters, for lack of the proper bitters.

• Reply to: Bitter Medicine   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This is quite fun, but you have to like Fernet. It would be interesting to try it with Unicum, which I find similar.
    Edited, two days later, to add: yep, very good with Unicum!

• Reply to: Apple cider   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This may not be feasible, but it would be nice if there was a way to distinguish between the two types of apple cider in the recipes. In many, its hard to decipher wether the creator intended to use "sweet cider" or "hard cider".

• Reply to: Hugo Montenegro   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<p>
    Have you ever had one of those nights where you wanted a real satisfying cocktail, but you just couldn't think of it or find it in your Kindred Cocktails cocktail book? NOTHING really appealed to you? Well, of course you have. We all have! That's why Kindred Cocktails is so important to you and to me. And guess what? I happened upon, in Kindred Cocktails, the drink that just may do on one of those "nothing will do" nights. It's the "Hugo Montenegro."

I was having one of those "nothing will do" nights, when I stumbled upon the "Hugo Montenegro." I usually have just one drink a night, but things changed upon my first sip of the "Hugo Montenegro." About 90 minutes later I had my second one, which went down oh so quickly, and with great satisfaction.

It's a simple drink to make. Like most drinks in the Negroni family, there is an equal amount of each ingredient. I know how each ingredient in the "Hugo Montenegro" tastes on its own; but this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So, rather than try to describe how this superb drink tastes, I will simply urge you to try it. Yes, its taste is complex; somewhat bitter, and somewhat sweet. And no particular taste overwhelms another (unless you use a Silver Tequila, which is bitter): I suggest a Reposado or Añejo style tequila to minimize that problem.

I hope I've twieaked your interest in this lovely, thirst-quenching drink. Whether you like it or not, make a comment. And if there's a drink you find more thirst-quenching and satisfying, name it and give the recipe if it's not listed in Kindred Cocktails. Sharing is one of the great things I like about Kindred Cocktails. Without it, Kindred Cocktails would be just another mixology website.</p>

• Reply to: Centaur   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Great cocktail

• Reply to: Hotel D'Alsace   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Reminds me of the Monte Carlo. Nice!

• Reply to: Negroni (Katie Loeb)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

<br /> Still a Negroni with the predictable Campari bitterness. Nevertheless, the Katie Loeb Negroni is a refreshing variation of the traditional Negroni, made possible by the switch to Plymouth gin. One wouldn't think that switching from the standard Gin, such as Tangqueray, to Plymouth Gin would make much difference. But it does because Plymouth Gin is not as dry as your standard gin and it has a somewhat more "earthy" feel. Moreover, Plymouth Gin has a noticably softer juniper flavour. If you haven't tried the Katie Loeb Negroni, thinking it's just more of the same, I say try it; you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Reply to: Slope   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this - because there was some confusion as to the proportions of this drink, I asked Julie Reiner and she sent me a picture of the recipe (which must be from The Craft Cocktail Party). Updated this to the specified brands - she's specific about them, changed 1 dash of Angostura to 2. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 100-Year-Old Cigar   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

A nice balance of complex flavors, eminently drinkable.

• Reply to: Bread & Wine   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this: as per the cited link (the old link was broken) changed the Scotch to Balvenie Doublewood. Added absinthe rinse to the ingredients and added garnish. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rum Row Old Fashioned   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I updated the link - the old TOTC one was a 404 error.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rum Row Old Fashioned   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Hmmm. 1 dash Ango Orange, but 1 drop Bittermen's Burlesque?

• Reply to: Yellow Bell   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Used Uncle Val's Peppered Gin and Chartreuse VEP -- why not?  This cocktail is the real deal!

<br />
    It's dun run out. So what bitters can be used in place of Abbotts?

• Reply to: The Black Stallion Sets Sail   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

With subs of Vermouth del Professore and Smith & Cross, I really liked this one.

• Reply to: Disco Ball   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

<br />I was skeptical about this cocktail. After all, it was very heavy on the Chartreuse side. But the one rating of a 5 said I had to try it. I anticipated the smokiness from the Mezcal, but I was pleasently surprised by the combination of both green and yellow Chartreuses. The recipe did not call for a garnish of any sorts, but I added a lime twist, which made the cocktail more complex and more interesting.

The Disco is not Everyman's drink, but drinkers who enjoy a drink with a smoky flavor or Chartreuse will take to "The Disco Ball." However, I believe the drink will profit from a garnish of sorts, but I don't know--at this time--what the garnish should be. Bitters? Orange Twist? Lemon Twist? Grapefruit twist? Lime twist? Explore and let others know what you discover, please. Although I enjoyed this drink, the ingredients give a heavy taste, which is hard to overcome without a bitters or garnish of sorts. I rated this drink at 3.5. Imbibe, but drink responsibly.

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Curated this to conform with the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Negroni Sans   by   4 months 9 hours ago

Not bad;  I think less Sanbitter is better here.

The recipe as written needs almost 7 oz of liquid and then ice as well and would over-fill most rocks glasses.

An oz or two would probably be sufficient.

• Reply to: Baby, You’re Driving   by   4 months 1 day ago

Curated to conform to source recipe, especially using Bison Grass vodka, which is very different from regular vodka.

• Reply to: Per Sempre   by   4 months 1 day ago

The Hennessy site specifies Nonino as the amaro: http://www.hennessy.com/en-int/art-of-mixing/worldwide-mix/6126-sempre

• Reply to: Vieux Carré   by   4 months 1 day ago

Works wonders with Rittenhouse, Linie, Professore Vermouth, Benedictine, Ango and Peach Bitters!

• Reply to: Stenton   by   4 months 3 days ago

Excellent. I used lemon because orange scares me (uh, and I didn't have one on hand). I'd try the orange next time.

Update: Made again with orange juice and peel. Much better. I also sub'd a very strong and bitter version of Amer Boudreau for the CioCiaro. Excellent.