• Reply to: Yankee Skipper   by   5 months 6 days ago

Lately, I've seen a number of libations posted by Craig E, many which intrigued me. Yankee Skipper was one; so using top shelf ingredients, I put it together. I used Bulleit rye, Vya sweet vermouth, Smith & Cross rum, and Picon Amer. What I expected and what I tasted were two different animals.

What I expected was a somewhat smooth tasting cocktail with a predominant rum taste; what I tasted was a clash of rye and rum, with no taste of the Picon Amer. Specifying the rye and sweet vermouth may help; different brands of rye and sweet vermouth have their own characteristic tastes, and may or may not blend well with Smith and Cross rum.

That leads to my next suggestion: use a smoother rum, such as a Barbados or Haiti rum. I did use an orange twist, which helped reduce the sharp, unpleasant taste of the original recipe. Perhaps I missed the boat on this one; only others can say yea or nay. As is, I rate it as 2.5, and look at the Yankee Skipper as a work in progress.

• Reply to: Purgatory   by   5 months 1 week ago

Like the 1st commentor, I, too, prefer a 3 oz cocktail rather than a 4 oz one. However, I made "Purgatory" using the given recipe because my mind said "yes, this will be a great drink." And it is, although the combination of Benedictine and Green Chartruse overshadow the Rittenhouse Rye--which should be no surprise. If I were to reduce the size of this drink, I would start by reducing each ingredient by 1/4 oz, and adjusting according to taste. But do keep the lemon twist! The challenge when reducing the size of this drink is to keep a balance of the ingredients' taste, but also, if possible, to bring out the rye, so that it is more prominent.

• Reply to: White Lion   by   5 months 1 week ago

I curated this - a little googling pegged it as an Embury drink so I removed the bitters and changed lemon (from the OP submission) to lime and jiggled the ratio a bit to conform to the book. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Royal Bermuda Yacht Club   by   5 months 1 week ago

Alternate Recipe via PUNCH:

• 1 1/2 ounces rum (preferably El Dorado 5 Year)
    • 1/2 ounce falernum
    • 1/4 ounce orange curacao (preferably Pierre Ferrand)
    • 3/4 ounce lime juice
  • Reply to: Domaine de Canton   by   5 months 1 week ago

Here's another one: The Witch's Word. Saw it on http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. It combines Domaine de Canton with Strega.... delicious !!!

• Reply to: Carolina Sundress   by   5 months 1 week ago

Subbed Atsby Armadillo Cake vermouth for the Vya. Outstanding!

• Reply to: The Business   by   5 months 1 week ago

Curated this - added creator, updated the source cite (the previous was a bad link). Corrected honey syrup recipe, corrected amount of honey syrup. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Grand Autumn   by   5 months 1 week ago

Really nice drink for a beautiful spring day in San Francisco. And I don't even like ginger beer all that much...thanks for sharing....

• Reply to: The Business   by   5 months 1 week ago

Regarding Cocktails (p. 85) credits Sasha Petraske for this drink (with 3/4oz honey syrup).

• Reply to: Sangre y Arena   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Almost feel like giving it 2.5, if it was possible.  There's definitely the possibility for an excellent cocktail here - the mezcal and cherry heering are an odd pair but they kind've work.  Heering tends to be so sweet and overpowering, especially with blended scotch in the original Blood and Sand, but mezcal has the strength of flavor to really stand up to it better.  And yet...something's not quite reight here.  It's still a little too sweet.  Not sure what the answer is, but it just seems like it could be tweaked and optimized.  As it stands, it's still a perfectly tasty and interesting drink, and well worth making if you have the ingredients.

• Reply to: Cucumber Calypso   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

This is a great cocktail, but I recommend it on the rocks. It's easier to enjoy for newcomers to Campari, and anyway the change in taste as it dilutes is really interesting and enjoyable.

• Reply to: A Royal Union   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Quite tasty, but I'd cut the bitters to one dash, otherwise it overwhelms the other ingredients.

• Reply to: Old Spanish   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I love sherry based cocktails and this is a winner.  I tried it with both regular cynar and cynar 70 and prefer the former, but the latter is an option for those who prefer drier cocktails or with a sweeter sherry.  I used lustau sherry and clear creek cassis.

• Reply to: Varnish   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Can confirm: It's nice with Islay whisky, as Dan suggested. I've tried it with both Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

• Reply to: The Little Sparrow   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Really tasty

• Reply to: A Farewell to Hemingway   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I had a bottle of kirsch of finish and  this was a good choice to experiment with.  I used maurin quina and ginger ale in place of the syrup/soda.  Very refreshing and drinkable but still interesting with the cherry brandy.

• Reply to: Strega   by   5 months 4 weeks ago

I also ran into this delicious Strega cocktail - The Witch's Word: http://www.apollointerlude.com/cocktail-recipes/the-witchs-word. I think Strega and Domaine de Canton go great together!

• Reply to: Elysium Fizz   by   6 months 2 days ago

The problem with grapefruit juice is that it isn't bitter enough. I subbed for 1/2 ounce of ea. grapefruit and lime juice.

• Reply to: Amaro Amore   by   6 months 2 days ago

Not a big fan (little too sweet) not bad though.

• Reply to: Broken English   by   6 months 2 days ago

I love it, Wifey hates it. Such is Fernet ...

• Reply to: Blooey Blues   by   6 months 3 days ago

Phenomenal! I am impressed at the creator's thought to combine these items. If you have the ingredients which are cheap if you want it to be, make it!

• Reply to: Stiggins' Fancy Flip   by   6 months 4 days ago

I was looking for something to do with Stiggin's pineapple rum, and I'm very happy to have found this.
    I also *just* happened to have some leftover demerara syrup from a previous cocktail session.

I used st.george agricole, which gave this cocktail a funkier nose than probably intended, but it was a point of interest instead of a point against it.
    Overall, Stiggin's lends itself very well to this cocktail as it brightens the entire palette.
    I'd thought a 1/2 oz of allspice was a bit excessive, but it worked well. Next time I'll try a little less allspice and see if the drink remains as tasty.

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   6 months 5 days ago

It is sweet, but also tart, bitter, herbal, floral.  I looked at the recipe thinking I'd end up adding more lime, but it's tart as is.  Granted,  this recipe is for those that aren't afraid to use  violette more than a barspoon at a time...  one could always add more base spirit or top with soda

• Reply to: Old Fashioned   by   6 months 5 days ago

Made an altered version using 2 oz rye and a 1/2 oz of orange oleo saccharum and two dashes of Angostura. Made me think of the orange-forward on-tap Old Fashioned at the Union Kitchen (Copenhagen) I had a few years ago. Really nice and simple.