• Reply to: Petticoat Junction   by   4 years 4 months ago

Self-curated... Changed cocktail name and updated Notes & History sections to reflect change.

• Reply to: Upgraded Grasshopper   by   4 years 4 months ago

Thanks, teaches me not to be hasty in my submissions. :)

• Reply to: Upgraded Grasshopper   by   4 years 4 months ago

Curated this. To bring it in line with the citation, changed 1 1/4 oz mint to 1 1/4 oz mint infused cream. Changed 2 dashes mint to 2 dashes mint bitters. Removed copyrighted caption and replaced it with instructions for making the mint cream.

• Reply to: The Warning Label   by   4 years 4 months ago

Made this according to the suggestions in these comments (3/4 each of LH151 and Smith & Cross, killing off my bottle of S&C. RIP). Wow. This one's for lovers of huge flavors and huge rums. 5/5.

• Reply to: Impromptu Sling   by   4 years 4 months ago

Tried Pama instead of cherry liqueur. Not a good idea....

• Reply to: Pink Yente   by   4 years 4 months ago

Great garnish.

• Reply to: Cynar Flip   by   4 years 4 months ago

Right? A classic.

• Reply to: Cynar Flip   by   4 years 4 months ago

How was this not in the archive yet? A genius drink.

• Reply to: Lilac   by   4 years 4 months ago

A fine alternative to a generic martini... It tastes lighter and has a nice little bit of nuance to it. I'm very surprised that the St. Germain shines through as much as it does (it's still very mild, but a welcome addition). I'll eventually try to add some Luxardo though I have a feeling that it may overpower the drink... anyways, all in all very nice!

• Reply to: Paloma   by   4 years 4 months ago

There is! San Pellegrino pompelmo.

• Reply to: Confederation Bridge   by   4 years 5 months ago

Made this this evening after Stew Ellington gave it five stars on his book's Facebook page. I liked it, but not as much as other drinks using the rye/Cynar combo. The honey/anise from the Drambuie is very prominent to my palate, and the Dolin blanc lightens the drink and adds subtle herbal notes to go with the Cynar's, which mostly manifests in the bitter-ish aftertaste. I used Rittenhouse and got a lot of dill; I imagine this would only be increased by the original's Bulleit. Very good cocktail for those who want a lighter but still very flavorful rye drink, but I found myself craving the darker notes of a Little Italy or Black Lodge.

• Reply to: Zombie   by   4 years 5 months ago

I tried this with Smith & Cross for the Jamaican rum. Bad idea. The sour/leather taste of that rum pushes everything else aside, even bullies like the Lemon Hart, and the high proof makes a strong cocktail downright deadly. Delicious and dangerous with a mellower Jamaican rum, though.

• Reply to: Orchard Keeper   by   4 years 5 months ago

Too rich for me as written. I'd like to try it with dry vermouth.

• Reply to: Berlioni   by   4 years 5 months ago

I made this today (accidentally), In trying to make a Negroni variation, I mixed equal parts Plymouth Gin, Cynar and Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth. After tasting, I decided it needed some Regan's Orange bitters. I shook it with ice (I know) and served it up in a cocktail glass. Tasty.

• Reply to: Tailspin   by   4 years 5 months ago

Tried this as written. Good, but sweet.
    Made a new one with the addition of 1/3 oz of lemon juice and used Punt e Mes instead of Martini Sweet Vermouth. I think I prefer my variation.

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   4 years 5 months ago

Let the record show that I tried it, and enjoyed it, as written, before going off on my own weird direction.

• Reply to: Orange Viola   by   4 years 5 months ago

Sounds delicious, if a little sweet. I'll give it a try.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 years 5 months ago

I just confirmed with Erik that this one should be Ashtray Heart and not Ash Tray Heart.

• Reply to: Orange Viola   by   4 years 5 months ago

Rafa, you might enjoy my wife's signature cocktail, the Dana Special.

• Reply to: Adair Hook   by   4 years 5 months ago

You guys are being very difficult.

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   4 years 5 months ago

I've tried to like this cocktail with similar proportions, but the lemon needs far more sweetener to make a comfortable balance on my tongue. I do find that the Creme de Violette does a wonderful job of toning down the harsher edge of the Maraschino and I really like the pairing in equal proportions. My current favorite proportions are 1.5 oz Gin, and .5 oz across the board for the Creme de Violette, Maraschino and Lemon Juice. The drink loses the famous sky-blue color, but still is quite a beauty with a cherry resting at the base.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 years 5 months ago

How right you are. To atone, I will down at least two Glencairn glasses when I get it back.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 years 5 months ago

This is wrong one at least two levels. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Lagavulin should be either in your cabinet or in your glass.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 years 5 months ago

A great idea, but my bottle of Lagavulin's at a friend's place. I'll give that a try next time if I'm still Mezcal-less.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 years 5 months ago

@drunklab - Maybe sub Laphroaig or similar for mezcal?