Amaro Nonino Quintessentia is an digestif amaro made in Fruili, in northern Italy. It is grappa based, and infused with a blend of many herbs, spices and roots, including gentian, saffron, licorice, rhubarb, sweet and bitter orange, tamarind, quassia bark, chinchona bark, and galenga, among other things. It is a light reddish brown color and 70 proof.
Nonino is a bit less sweet, less bitter, and lighter in texture than other amari. It is aged for five years in oak barrels.
Some popular cocktails containing Amaro Nonino
- Beati Fumo di Nonino — Amaro Nonino, Islay Scotch, Honey syrup, Lemon juice
- World Cup — Cachaça, Amaro Nonino, Orange bitters, Demerara syrup, Tangerine, Lime
- The Divine Lorraine — Elderflower liqueur, Bourbon, Amaro Nonino, Sweet vermouth, Orange cream citrate, Orange peel
- Fall Down Slow — Rum, Cognac, Amaro Nonino, Plum wine, Cynar, Peychaud's Bitters
- Paper Airplane — Campari, Amaro Nonino, Bourbon, Lemon juice