Contest now over. 7 copies of Bitter Drink by F. G. Haghenbeck were won!
A cocktail-infused crime novel
Set in tropical Puerto Vallarta during the filming of John Huston's The Night of the Iguana, beatnik detective Sunny Pascal attracts criminals and cocktails with equal affinity. He's been hired by the film's producer to keep the stars (Richard Burton, Liz Taylor, Ava Gardner) out trouble. Or at least out of jail. And yet that's exactly where they seem to want to go.
Each short chapter starts with a cocktail recipe and a bit of history. The cocktail then ties into the chapter's storyline. While we cocktail nerds might quibble here and there, it's hard to not like a mainstream book that promotes the Fernet Branca-tinged Hanky Panky (see sidebar) and the Campari-based Negroni.
The contest is now over.
So how do you win? I have a handful of copies to give away. Simply do something cool thing with Kindred Cocktails between August 15 and Sept 15, 2012. Each cool thing gives you one entry:
- Just have a Kindred Cocktails account. Already have one? You're already entered. No? Sign up!
- Tweet about us. Or retweet one of our tweets.
- Like us on Facebook.
- Comment about a cocktail.
- Enter a new great craft cocktail.
- E-mail me (dan [at] kindredcocktails [dot] com) explaining why you think you deserve a copy.
Rules and fine print
- Winners will be announced here. If we can contact you directly, we will. If we can't get in touch with you, we'll give the copy to someone else.
- Winners will be arbitrarily chosen, maybe randomly, maybe by whim, as we see fit. No whining. This is a giveaway, not the lottery. Kindred Cocktails editors are ineligible. Some copies will be given away before the end of the giveaway period.
- Void where some silly person might prohibit such things.
- Free shipping to the lower 48 states. If you win from elsewhere, you're gonna have to pay to get it to you.
- The odds of winning depend upon how many cool things people do. Want better odds? Do more cool things.
- We can fiddle with the rules if we feel like it.
Our thanks to Amazon for generously providing these copies of Bitter Drink for us to enjoy.