• Reply to: The Crusher   by   1 day 44 min ago

Sure there is. Vodka 100 proof and allspice for 10 days in a clean jar. You can do it with a 5 to 1 proportion spirit to allspice in weight. Shake it once a day.

• Reply to: Mastika Sour   by   1 day 11 hours ago

Mastika is the liqueur made from the resin of the gum mastic tree, found near Chios, Greece. There's several brands available in the United States. It's sweet, so the sour and soda help cut it a bit, but the piney, resinous flavor makes a unique drink. I serve these at cocktail nights and always get requests for more.

• Reply to: Price of Rum   by   1 day 12 hours ago

Made without simple syrup. Delicious.

• Reply to: Millionaire (Embury)   by   1 day 14 hours ago

Curated this to have the volumes match those given at the link, and to paraphrase the instructions in order to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   1 day 15 hours ago

I used about half of my (small) barspoon of (St. George) absinthe and the balance worked well.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   2 days 1 hour ago

Too much absinthe for my taste, but then I think Improved cocktails with absinthe are rarely improved. I'd use a rinse next time. Or maybe a spritz.

• Reply to: The Crusher   by   2 days 14 hours ago

Is there a recipe for the allspice tincture?

• Reply to: Elske Sour #2   by   2 days 21 hours ago

I'm super excited about replicating this but I think I'm missing a volume for syrup in the umeboshi syrup. I'm assuming that don't want six umeboshi into ¾oz of syrup but maybe I'm being unimaginative.

• Reply to: Library Card   by   3 days 15 hours ago

The smoky-bitter-apricot fusion really works.

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   5 days 17 hours ago

Seen recipes for using black beer as well. Note Turkish shops sell carob syrup

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   5 days 19 hours ago

Great desert cocktail

• Reply to: 18th Century   by   1 week 15 hours ago

Surprised how balanced and easy drinking this was. Creamy, mildly spicy.

• Reply to: Bitter Maestro   by   1 week 1 day ago

Not to snark, but two of the comments here made substitutions that aren't that similar. It's pretty good with the proper ingredients.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   1 week 2 days ago

Boozy, bittersweet, delicious. A reminder that you don't need a dozen ingredients to make a great cocktail.

• Reply to: Revivalist   by   1 week 2 days ago

Which bitters would you prefer as a garnish here? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Colleen Bawn   by   1 week 3 days ago

Kind of seems crazy to me that with 2 oz. of liqueurs this would need the simple.

• Reply to: Call of the Wild   by   1 week 3 days ago

Used what I had on hand--Old Overholt, Beefeater and Green Chartreuse--and enjoyed this. Tasting notes are accurate, nice wintry drink.

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   1 week 4 days ago

I used Caffe Amaro, a couple dashes of black walnut and added a dash of Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate...a smoky, rich, cold weather sipper.

• Reply to: Black Walnut Old Fashioned   by   1 week 4 days ago

Used several dashes of Fee Bros black walnut bitters in place of Nux Alpina. Quite good.

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   1 week 4 days ago

Misty competed with this drink in June 2008 at the St. Germain Can-Can competition. 2009 would already find her at Drink which would be too late for the timeline (she opened Drink in late 2008). Also, these are the correct proportions and not the ones that Eric Felten made up. I asked Misty about that here: http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/10/maximilian-affair.html

• Reply to: (500) Days of Autumn   by   1 week 5 days ago

Tried this with Rittenhouse and Laird's Apple Brandy. It's quite good.

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   1 week 5 days ago

Made it with the proportions listed. Smoky, tart, great balance.

• Reply to: Quilty (Slowly Shirley)   by   1 week 5 days ago

I like the ingredients separately, but this drink just did not come together for me.

• Reply to: Hot Toddy   by   1 week 6 days ago

I like to add a half ounce of lemon juice and tablespoon of honey.

• Reply to: T.O.C.(O.C.D.)   by   1 week 6 days ago

Hi and welcome to Kindred Cocktails - I see you're the creator of this drink. Is this the name you'd prefer? Someone else had posted it under a slightly different name and I just want to be sure we get it right. Thanks,  Zachary