• Reply to: No Moon At All   by   2 days 2 hours ago

Made this with pisco rather than gin - quite good.

• Reply to: Smoke and Fears   by   3 days 19 hours ago

Surprised I haven't tried this one before.  Have a few bottles of Lap 10 that I'm looking to work down, and stumbled upon this.  It's quite good.  As the previous commenter mentioned, this is similar to Chinotto (though with a metallic, ashy finish to me).

• Reply to: Kentucky Pilgrim   by   4 days 39 min ago

Made these for Thanksgiving (cold). Fantastic. One change: smash the cranberries before steeping them in the bourbon. It imbues a wonderful flavor and gorgeous color. Also satisfying to squash fresh cranberries with a meat mallet.

• Reply to: Ginger Sidecar   by   5 days 20 hours ago

I thought this was going to be a tad too light on cognac, but it actually ended up being very well balanced. I used Dry Curacao for the orange liqueur.

• Reply to: B & B   by   1 week 20 hours ago

Tried 1 part cognac to 3/4 part Benedictine. Still too sweet (and I like a bit of sweetness). Added a bar spoon of Fernet Branca to make it more balanced.

• Reply to: Creole Cocktail   by   1 week 1 day ago

So after curating this last night, I made one with Knob Creek Rye and CAF and homemade Amer Boudreau (which is rather strong). The measurements in that Ensslin book are all messed up. He sets a pony equal to a jigger where normally there's a half ounce difference between the two. Then, a jigger is 1/4 of a whiskey glass and a drink is 1/2 of a whiskey glass. I mean, come on man. So a drink is either 2 or 3 ounces depending on which way you interpret things. My read on the drink is that it's meant to be a "fancy" Manhattan, modified by the Amer Picon and Benedictine. But at a 3 ounce drink, the modifiers are hard to distinguish. My feeling is that either this really should be a 2 ounce drink rather than a 3 ounce one. And there should be barely enough modifier to tell they're there. My guess is 1 ounce of each and 1/8 oz (eyeballed into a 1/4 oz measure) of each modifier. Thanks (sorry for the long note),  Zachary

• Reply to: Creole Cocktail   by   1 week 2 days ago

Curated this - as posted it was 2 Bourbon, 3/4 sweet vermouth, 1/4 each Amer Picon and Benedictine. Ensslin has it as an equal parts drink with 2 dashes each Amer Picon and Benedictine. I'd call 4 dashes about a barspoon. While Rye is probably the way to go here, I think the Benedictine probably has enough herbal accord to mimic rye if you want to use Bourbon. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Creole Cocktail   by   1 week 2 days ago

swapped in rye and added dash of el guapo chicory bitters. delish

• Reply to: Elevato Negroni   by   1 week 4 days ago

It's a garnish, if you can get 25 year old PX vinegar to come out of an atomizer... Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Elevato Negroni   by   1 week 4 days ago

I'm confused, where is the sherry vinegar in the spec?

• Reply to: Foreign Affairs   by   1 week 4 days ago

What is a DOF?

EDIT: Doubled Old Fashioned. Got it.

• Reply to: Woody Sour   by   1 week 4 days ago

too much lemon, added more of everything, still not balanced.

• Reply to: The Shah Sleeps   by   1 week 5 days ago

Great! Used Vecchio Amaro del Capo instead of Amaro Montenegro.

• Reply to: Bitter Raisin   by   1 week 5 days ago

Only a standard 3 oz drink, so not too big for a traditional cocktail glass

• Reply to: Bitter Raisin   by   2 weeks 15 hours ago

Lovely - but way too big for a normal Nick & Nora. Put it in an Old Fashioned glass with a big rock, then sit back and enjoy.

• Reply to: Bitter Raisin   by   2 weeks 17 hours ago

Check it out. Drink it. Love it. Drink it again.

• Reply to: Dregs   by   2 weeks 20 hours ago

Yes, and thank you for noticing.  My error. The quantities as written are indeed for two drinks.

• Reply to: St. Lucian   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Also nice with vanilla and black pepper syrup instead of cinnamon.

• Reply to: Trouble in Paradise   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Curated to add honey syrup which was missing from the recipe.

• Reply to: The Leaf Puller   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Presumably, that should be 2 dashes of bitters?

• Reply to: Gibbons Boost   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Pretty good.

• Reply to: Dregs   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Are the quantities right? Seems to me like this would fill two rocks glasses with big rocks.

• Reply to: Mentaphor   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Dial the Pastis down. Perhaps a rinse or a barspoon.

• Reply to: Bijou Bohème   by   3 weeks 19 hours ago

Subbed Nikka Coffey gin and ginjo sake for the vermouth... fantastic

• Reply to: Guardian Angel   by   3 weeks 20 hours ago

Very good, more bitter than I expected but the Wray and Nephew and Rose water really pull the cocktail through!