• Reply to: The River and Death   by   18 min 27 sec ago

Did you just do 1oz or did you add more? I worry it would bury the poblano.

• Reply to: Fireman's Sour   by   14 hours 32 min ago

Usually this was called the Bacardi Cocktail even when it didn't contain Bacardi. It was 1936 that Bacardi won the court case to forbid a "Bacardi Cocktail" to use any other rum. Obviously, this Ensslin recipe pre-dates that lawsuit, but the Bacardi Cocktail published in 1913 pre-dates Ensslin so perhaps he was renaming it so as not to confuse the consumer. He had to know of it since it was rather popular back in the day.

• Reply to: Fireman's Sour   by   1 day 44 min ago

Curated this. Difford's has the date wrong - the earliest reference I could find was the 1917 (2nd edition) of Hugo Ensslin's book. Updated link, made minor changes (no egg white, limes were smaller, added sugar) to conform to cited link. This drink is right in the middle of the Grenadine explosion in the mid 1910's, so I'd think that it was created to show off the bright red color of pomegranite grenadine. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The River and Death   by   1 day 18 hours ago

Accidentally made it with more Ramazzotti than intended...preferred that to the recipe as printed.

• Reply to: 131   by   1 day 19 hours ago

Agreed. Like a minty gin & tonic. Wondering how it would taste with less simple syrup and slightly more chartreuse (we cut the syrup in half already, not being fond of overly sweet drinks). Also, will try it with muddled mint. We used Navy Hill soda + tonic, which seemed to work well.

• Reply to: Roffignac   by   1 day 22 hours ago

See also https://www.mikeaugustyniak.com/recipes/2017/5/roffignac for another set of proportions / raspberry shrub recipe.

• Reply to: Italian Greyhound   by   2 days 47 min ago

Updated date and creators. Thanks for the history lesson y'all.  Zachary

• Reply to: Italian Greyhound   by   2 days 1 hour ago

It's credited in a 2007 article on DrinkBoston to Scott Holiday at Chez Henri in Cambridge, MA, for combining grapefruit and Punt e Mes. Followed by John Gertsen at No. 9 Park in Boston for adding the salt component and the name. John and Scott were previous co-workers at Salamander in Cambridge, MA, and have stayed in close contact through the years by sharing recipes and ideas. For example, many of Scott's creations found their way into Drink's bar book; in 2008, Scott helped to open up Rendezvous in Cambridge and John opened up Drink in Boston. Both dropped out of the Boston bar scene in 2014 with Scott taking a job selling wine and John moving to San Francisco to work at ABV.

• Reply to: Italian Greyhound   by   2 days 3 hours ago

I believe this was created by John Gertsen and served by him at No. 9 Park. Compare his Motoguzzi: equal parts Booker's and Punt e Mes stirred and served on a rock.

• Reply to: Adventures Close to Home   by   3 days 20 hours ago

Thanks Zachary - I've never tried a 'Ti punch, and I will give it a go. I do have a nearly full bottle of La Favorite Blanc.

• Reply to: 4th and Clyde   by   5 days 18 hours ago

Prepared this with Hendrick's Lunar, 2 barspoons homemade honey syrup, else as written.

Garnished with fresh jalapeno slice (since I had it). Placed the chili flake in the shaker first, and was leisurely with my ingredient additions so that it had good contact with the liquids. Has a nice, subtle heat on the finish. Pleasant, delicious, new favorite!

• Reply to: The Colevardier   by   5 days 21 hours ago

This is an okay cocktail. I love Boulevardiers, Amaro, Bourbon and really love Suze. Yet this is lacking something, not quite sure what.I didn't hate ti but probably won't make it again.

• Reply to: Night Tripper   by   6 days 17 hours ago

The Strega varies from a 1/4 oz here to 1/2 oz in Imbibe to 3/4 oz in Punch. I could see the higher Strega versions being better in flasks and the lower in chilled drinks.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Cocktail   by   6 days 18 hours ago

Unless there's a lot of strong feeling, I'm going to merge the Oaxacan Negroni into this drink tomorrow. This is three years older and actually equal parts. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Boulevardier Riff (Fred Sarkis)   by   6 days 20 hours ago

I flipped it and did 1.25 oz each of Bonal and Cynar and then .50 oz bourbon for a lower-abv.

I've enjoyed both versions, but I think I like the flipped version better.

• Reply to: Songbird (sparkling & violette)   by   1 week 1 hour ago

Was way too much of the liqueurs with such a small amount of sparkling wine. Adding more of the latter made it a bit better but was still a bit powerful. I used Golden Moon's creme de violette, which I like better but is weaker than Rothman & Winter, and it still was too much. I'd say 1/4 of each, at least 2 oz of bubbles, and a dash less of lavender.

• Reply to: Oaxacan Cocktail   by   1 week 20 hours ago

Seems like this is essentially a duplicate of https://kindredcocktails.com/cocktail/oaxacan-negroni (or vice versa)

• Reply to: Jamaican Me Crazy   by   1 week 21 hours ago

Not bad - I used Cruzan black strap, Worthy Park and Appleton. Might be better without the super dark substitute and with the overproof.

• Reply to: Southern Exposure   by   1 week 1 day ago

Felt it was a bit too sweet. I used Wild Turkey 101 and liked the banana chocolate taste and boozy aspect of the cocktail. Will up the heat next time and cut the cacao next time, thanks.

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 2 days ago

I keep guava jelly at home that I get at a local Brazilian store. It's stable at room temperature as a block but I keep it in the fridge once I cut into it. Besides being a great thing on a cheese board, it is a called for ingredient since Jerry Thomas' Barbadoes Punch (yes, spelled like that), and I used it at a bar program I ran by melting it equal parts in boiling water (it was stable like that in the fridge for a few weeks but not indefinitely like the starting block). There is spreadable stuff made by Goya, but the block is more traditional for guava is high in pectin and was traded that way in Colonial times. My local Brazilian market also has the puree frozen but I only do that with passion fruit. The other option is to use a standard recipe and make it from the fruit like I do mango for syrup. An option but not great is to take guava nectar and mix it with sugar (but all the guava nectars I have found have other fruits in them and cochineal for color).

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 2 days ago

Fred, you're reading my mind - I actually went to the store today trying to find a guava or the puree. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 2 days ago

That sounds pretty close to how I would make it. Maybe a little water to thin it out but making it close to 1:1 as possible which would balance the drink. I'll give it a go tonight with 1/2 oz simple syrup with ~1/4 oz guava jelly melted into it which has worked for newer Trader Vic (1970s era) recipes. I'm not buying special puree for this (I do for passion fruit since there are recipes that support it).

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 3 days ago

I'm wondering if guava puree + an equal weight of white sugar would approximate the sweetness. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 3 days ago

I found a link to the recipe on the Imbibe podcast back in 2020 that supports this (since I couldn't get to the Ne Orleans Magazine):

• Reply to: Pink Moon   by   1 week 3 days ago

I'm guessing that the guava puree is rather sweetened since there is only 1/4 oz of Maraschino's sweetness to balance a full ounce of lime juice + 1 1/2 oz of spirit. Otherwise, this is going to be pretty tart. I checked an Amazon listing, and the Real is a "guava puree infused syrup" so guava syrup might be a bit more accurate.