• Reply to: Deshler Cocktail   by   14 hours 18 min ago

Fixed this, thanks all!  Zachary

• Reply to: Deshler Cocktail   by   17 hours 21 min ago

The Hugo Ensslin 1916 is the earliest known recipe and it is shaken with orange and lemon peels for added citrus brightness. Plus garnished with an orange twist. It was named for the turn of the century boxer David Deshler,

• Reply to: Deshler Cocktail   by   18 hours 33 min ago

A bit too light and delicate. I'd like it to have a bit more oomph in flavor to match the deceptive punch in potency. Might try Dead Rabbit version.

• Reply to: Navy Dock Daiquiri   by   2 days 12 hours ago

Did not have Smith & Cross so used Plantation 5 star. No complaints here.

• Reply to: The Man With the Golden Rum   by   2 days 13 hours ago

Alrighty cocktail sleuths... changed the name and attribution. I am constantly impressed at the knowledge base here! Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Man With the Golden Rum   by   2 days 20 hours ago

The only one I know for sure is Kevin Upthegrove who does the 5 Minutes of Rum blog/podcast. He mentioned on my Instagram post that it was unnamed at the time and that he had dubbed it "The Man with the Golden Rum" to match the spy theme of the seminar. Here's his post & podcast about that drink which has a photo of the people seated at the table (but without names mentioned in the post or audio) other than his wife, Val Upthegrove. I've interacted with Val when she started selling Tiki-themed masks this spring (also does Star Wars, Disney, Harry Potter, and punk/goth ones) on Etsy and I just ordered my 4th a day or two ago. $5 goes to charity to support the staff of a famous Tiki bar in California during the Pandemic.

Blog post and audio: http://5minutesofrum.com/episodes/2014/1/3/episode-18-montanya-platino

TikiVal's masks: https://www.etsy.com/shop/tikival

• Reply to: The Man With the Golden Rum   by   2 days 20 hours ago

The Cates do not include those details in their book, but it appears Kevin Upthegrove (host of the 5 Minutes of Rum podcast) was one of the people at table 11! Might need to re-listen to relevant episode.

• Reply to: The Man With the Golden Rum   by   2 days 20 hours ago

Thanks Fred. Do we have any idea who was at table 11? Curated this to match the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Man With the Golden Rum   by   2 days 20 hours ago

The back history as described in Smuggler's Cove drink book was that it was crafted at the Tiki Oasis event in 2012 as table 11's entry in the create-a-cocktail competition.

• Reply to: Sichuan Firework   by   2 days 20 hours ago

Which amaro? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Lazo   by   3 days 17 hours ago

Update: I tried this with Gosling's Black Seal rum and it is 1000% amazing. This might honestly be my favorite cocktail in the world. The coffee and the dark rum marry to an intense caramel flavor. You can put salt directly in the cocktail shaker -- no need to fuss with salt solution if you don't want to.

• Reply to: Siesta   by   3 days 18 hours ago

Shifting towards grapefruit notes and using agave instead of simple, a'la this spec, works well too.

• Reply to: Eureka   by   3 days 20 hours ago

Add 5 ml simple syrup when dry mead

• Reply to: Lalo Salamanca   by   5 days 8 hours ago

@Reviewers with subpar IPA in the fridge, I'd recommend a lighter session IPA. Think ABV of less than 5%. Your "favorite" IPA may be too much for this. You can also try adjusting the volume of the IPA downward a bit.

• Reply to: Therapeutic Agent   by   5 days 12 hours ago

Smooth and interesting. Used Elijah Craig for whisky and Cocci Americano as blanc vermouth.Made my branca real plump ;)

• Reply to: Careless Whisper   by   6 days 16 hours ago

Used Noilly Prat extra dry and Antica Formula. Smells truly foul, but actually tastes okay. Boozy, funky and sweet.

• Reply to: Red Sea   by   1 week 15 hours ago

This drink was named after the fact that Brendan's nickname at the bar was Moses. Brendan was one of the earliest people trained by Ryan Lotz who helped to give him that nickname; Ryan went on to open the Hawthorne, work at No. 9 Park, and open Bar Mezanna & Shore Leave here in Boston.

• Reply to: Hawaii XO   by   1 week 2 days ago

Strange but pleasant.   With pineapple juice from concentrate it was a little more acidic than I think would be ideal so would consider tuning it back to 0.75 oz.  With fresh pineapple would have likely been perfect.

• Reply to: Alabazam   by   1 week 3 days ago

Z

• Reply to: Spaghetti Western #2   by   1 week 3 days ago

Made this last night with WT101 and Montelobos.  I enjoyed it.  Kinda reminded me of a drier, less rich version of the 100 Year Cigar, with notes of leather, smoke & a touch of anise.  Might try again with a lower proof, sweeter bourbon than the WT101 like BT or EWSB.

• Reply to: Alpine Fire   by   1 week 5 days ago

This has a lot in common with Sother Teague's C.I.A. I really enjoyed it tonight. I agree with the other comment, and I think I would swap the proportions of the Chartreuse and the Nonino, and I'm not sure the Islay float is doing enough. Even so, this is definitely going onto my list.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   1 week 5 days ago

I like the concept of this one, but it's quite a bit too sweet for my taste. Not a bad drink, but for me, I'd eliminate the simple and cut the chocolate bitters to one or maybe two dashes.

• Reply to: Caipirinha   by   1 week 6 days ago

Refreshing and boozy. I lived in Brazil for 3yrs. Cut 1/2 - 1 lime into pieces & put 2 T sugar in a bottom of rocks glass, muddle, add ice & at least 3oz cachaca - cheap stuff ok. Enjoy! Never liked simple w/ this drink.

• Reply to: John the Baptist   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Ok, since this has gone long, if no one has any objections, I'm going to change this to the "new" liquor.com version, which more accurately  reflects the video. I'll add Coco Lopez/matcha mix and pistachio syrup recipes. Hopefully done tonight assuming the power stays on. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

I have yet to meet anyone, and I mean anyone, who I have made this drink for who did not like it. The chocolate bitters puts it over the top. I use Bullet Bourbon and it's great. I also find that using maple syrup instead of simple syrup, especially bourbon barrel maple syrup, takes it to another level. My favorite go to cocktail. Thank you!