• Reply to: The Penthouse   by   3 days 9 hours ago

Very tart, might bump the St Germain up to match the lemon.

• Reply to: Esprit d'Escalier   by   5 days 4 hours ago

Disappointing. I tried this with three different amari to see whether that could improve it, but I found it pretty insipid.

• Reply to: Tallahassee   by   6 days 2 hours ago

Very punch-like. Blood oranges make it work.

• Reply to: Les Verts Monts   by   1 week 2 days ago

An excellent drink that rewards high quality ingredients (blending in some longer aged cognac/armagnac/calvados adds considerable depth). It skews sweet but the richness of the base spirits helps to balance. I find that about half of the amount of maple syrup suffices (but I tend to use darker maple syrup than perhaps the original D&Co spec did). Love this drink for a slow sipping postprandial and/or nightcap.

• Reply to: Blue Orange   by   1 week 4 days ago

Yes, oranges cut into pieces, grain alcohol, white or rosé wine, cola nut, sugar, let for macerate about 1 month.

• Reply to: Blue Orange   by   1 week 5 days ago

I'd gather we're talking about skin contact whites with a bit of color not wine made from oranges? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Cassis de Dijon   by   1 week 6 days ago

Didn't have any dijon mustard at the bar, but to me Amaro Sfumato Rabarbaro has always had a mustard note to it, so I tried .25 oz of that instead of the mustard and turbo.  Nice balance and interesting flavor, though the drink is a bit small with the 1 oz base.  I did it up in a coupe; not sure it would stand up to being served over crushed ice as the flavors (and proof) aren't overwhelmingly strong.  Perhaps with a short shake.

• Reply to: The Arbitrary Nature of Time   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Looking to use up some Cherry Heering as we had two nearly full bottles of it open; revisited this one as I haven't made one in years since I got the Beta Cocktails book (and it uses 3/4 ounce of Cherry Heering).  Used Rittenhouse instead of the WT 101 Rye; it was very enjoyable, with nicely balanced bitter chocolate notes but maybe lacking that last bit of complexity that would bump it from 4 stars to 5 stars for me.  I'm surprised some thought this was too sweet, I didn't find it that way--it's less sweet than a Negroni or equal parts Boulevardier--and I'd like to think I have a somewhat middle of the road to dry-ish palate (though I've been known to have a heavy hand with my bitters dashes at times).

• Reply to: Christmas in Prison   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

I really liked this; made with ingredients as specified except subbing in St. George aged apple brandy for the Laird's.  I wholly agree with the poster's description, it's very balanced with a nice holiday spice backbone to it.  And I found a use for those damn Bittermens New England Spiced Cranberry bitters that have been at the back of the bitters shelf for what seems like an eternity.  Oh, and the video link isn't available any longer.

• Reply to: Start Wearing Purple   by   2 weeks 1 day ago

Must be a dash.

• Reply to: The Book Deal   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

Found this looking for campari/bourbon combos, and the title caught my eye because my first book (deal) is due in early 2020. Delicious. Spicy, sweet, lots of nuance.

• Reply to: The Bitter End   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

I added 1/2 ounce of Amaro Montenegro instead of the Angostura float, and I used Plantation 3 Star rum. This is satisfying and delicious. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply to: Darkside   by   2 weeks 2 days ago

FWIW liquor.com has the wine at 3/4 oz.

• Reply to: Sfumato & Repo   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Curated: corrected vermouth amount to match source.

• Reply to: Dead Man's Mule   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Curated this - fixed broken link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Dead Man's Mule   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Here's the Drink recipe as I published it in 2011 (the Death to Sour Mix link is dead along with the rest of Raul's blog). Slightly different but the lime juice volumes saves the muddling of lime wedges (but doesn't proffer the elegant lime oils). My post also provides the back story:

• Reply to: Dead Man's Mule   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Easily one of the best and most interesting cocktails I have ever made at home. You can really taste every single ingredient. Bravo.

• Reply to: Ashes in Our Mouth   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

Enjoyed the ancho - mezcal combo. They're the main players but the amaro (I used sfumato) and vermouth work well as glue.

• Reply to: Maloney No. 2   by   2 weeks 5 days ago

The Cocktail Virgin post calls for 1/4 ounce of maraschino. That change made a big difference for me.

• Reply to: Bernard Black   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

Pretty good, but a cocktail named after Bernard Black really should be a lot more bitter.

• Reply to: Maloney No. 2   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

• Reply to: Jasmine (Robert Hess)   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

This recipe seems rather sweet akin to bad Cosmos that use too much triple sec and not enough citrus, and it probably matched the era when Hess adapted it. When I make this for guests, I go 1 1/2 gin, 1/2 triple sec, 1/2 Campari, 1/2 or 3/4 lemon juice. It is based off the Pegu Club which I also prefer on the crisper side. The original is drier than that, so I guess I'm in the middle but closer to Harrington's.

• Reply to: Barlone Try   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

I swapped little by little the simple syrup, because in fact the drink do not need it.

I also moved to lime juice instead of lemon and have it shaken instead of stirred.

Seems it's even better like that.

• Reply to: Kroni Berry Flip   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Curated this to correct ingredients and add attribution, per @yarm's comment above. (For posterity the previous posting had Smith & Cross as the rum and an egg white without yolk.) Thanks!

• Reply to: It's Not Personal   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

There's not enough there there.