• Reply to: Sage and Chartreuse Smash   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Nice cocktail.  Pulled some fresh sage leaves from the garden and honey from our neighbor’s hive.  Make a honey syrup or it will solidify under the crushed ice.

• Reply to: Sonic Titan   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I didn't have the wormwood.  I used a dash of absinthe and some Jerry Thomas' bitters, and it tasted good.

• Reply to: The Comet   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

My new favorite! Can't believe I never tried this before.

• Reply to: The Man Comes Around   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Just perfect. Rich, smooth, smokey and chocolatey.

• Reply to: Antrim Cocktail   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

From Punch: Seeking a more consistent mouthfeel and flavor, Brooklyn bartender Selma Slabiak introduces orange bitters, gomme syrup and a lemon twist to the proceedings.

• 1 ounce Cognac, preferably Pierre Ferrand 1840
    • 1 ounce tawny port
    • 2 dashes orange bitters, preferably Regans'
    • 1 barspoon gomme syrup (see Editor's Note)

Garnish: lemon peel

• Reply to: Staying Together For The Children   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

The name is perfect for the cocktail. I bitter beauty.

I've also substituted the gin for high proof american whiskey as well as regular 80 proof plymouth.

• Reply to: Toronto   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Classic cocktail. A good variation is 2-2.5 ounces of rye(Michters), 1/2oz fernet branca, 1/2 branca-menta, 1/4 simple syrup. Dash of angostura and garnish with a grapefruit peel.

The branca-menta sweetens things up so you can go with even less syrup and the grapefruit/branca-menta combo just go great in any cocktail.

• Reply to: No Moon At All   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

A bit too bitter and not as fruity as I'd have expected, could probably do with a bit of syrup, or increase quantity of liqueurs. Tastes much better and sweeter if slowly sipped..

• Reply to: A Scotsman In Paradise   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Banana, coconut & pineapple with whisky! It shouldn't work, but in the end is damn good. Used coco lopez and thought that was fine.

• Reply to: Dusky Rose   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

this is a handsome looking cocktail. I added a small amount of egg whites and that really added to the visual appeal.

• Reply to: Summer Water   by   2 months 1 day ago

Lacking lemon syrup, used some homemade grenadine instead. Very tasty, low proof summer quencher

• Reply to: Autumn Negroni   by   2 months 5 days ago

I don't get all the 5 star ratings. I mean, it's a well crafted Negroni, and it's carefully balanced drink and all, but I just don't see it as an all encompassing 5 star cocktail. Full disclosure: I hate gin, so maybe it's a 4 star for everyone else...

• Reply to: Last Word (lighter)   by   2 months 6 days ago

Tried with 2 oz White grappa 100abv,  3/4 for other ingredients (Yellow Chartreuse).

Supposed to be birds is the Word #2 without chocolate bitters and was very chocolaty and delicious. Will do again !

• Reply to: North by Northwest (Death & Co)   by   2 months 6 days ago

Its Yummy!. I tried force-carbonating some Chardonnay I had lying around. I think I put in a bit too much lemon and sugar for the wine, which was a bit sweet and acidic on its own.

• Reply to: Crystal Mocha   by   2 months 1 week ago

Nice but I thought it needed a bit more depth. I added 1/2 oz. Blackstrap rum for sweetness and body and 1/2 bsp. Yellow Chartreuse for a little more zing. Probably could have accomplished the same with just a bit more Kahlua too ;)

• Reply to: Cinnamon Girl   by   2 months 1 week ago

Nice balance between orange and cinnamon - almost floral finish - very refreshing!

• Reply to: Ace of Clubs   by   2 months 1 week ago

You should also try the Mulata Daiquiri from Ago Perrone  at The Connaught Bar in London. 1 1/2 aged rum, 3/4 lime, 3/4 Creme de cacao and 1/4 Maraschino.

• Reply to: Monks Thistle   by   2 months 1 week ago

This is nice. I looked at it and thought 'Water? Why not just rely on the dilution as the ice melts?' but it's really good, well-balanced, as written.

• Reply to: ...and he'll trace his path by the stars that blanket the sky.   by   2 months 1 week ago

Very mellow - nice blend of Fernet and rum - not too sweet or menthol. I used Appleton 12yr rare blend rum, but might try with a few others. Hard to get true demerara rum in my neck of the woods...

• Reply to: Ace of Clubs   by   2 months 1 week ago

Yikes! Way too much lime and can't taste the CdC... I added more CdC and a bit of Velvet Falernum to help tone down the lime and add some spice and sweet. This needs more work.

• Reply to: Doctor of Journalism   by   2 months 1 week ago

surprisingly delicate!

• Reply to: The First Thought   by   2 months 1 week ago

I love Last Word experiments and variations, but this one seems to let the Chartreuse dominate and lacks the citrus for balance. Maybe swap out the Cynar for lime? IDK, it was a noble attempt but not what I had hoped for.

• Reply to: Joy Division   by   2 months 1 week ago

Delicious by subbing cocchi americano for the dolin and creole shrubb for the cointreau. Used martin miller westbourne strength and a barspoon for the absinthe measurement. Wonderful!!

• Reply to: District 2   by   2 months 1 week ago

Simple but surprisingly enjoyable!

• Reply to: Sultan   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Very nice. I'm a fan of mixing citrus and amaro, and this is well balanced with the other ingredients. I used the Cynar 70 proof, which made it just a tad more bitter, but still pleasant.