• Reply to: Fair & Warmer   by   2 weeks 3 days ago

Dry curaçao is the key.  There is no substitute.

<br />
    <p>
    Somehow, the name "Tooth & Nail" doesn't quite describe this drink, because it's overall taste is somewhat soft & sweet. Maybe that should be its name. I didn't have Macallan 12, but I did have Glenlivet 12, also a Speyside scotch. I also had Amer Picon (I purchased it by mail from England for a dear penny). But I would not rate this drink at 5.0, as one person did. After a lot thought and many sips, I rated the "Tooth & Tail" somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5.

Why? First, the whisky was overwhelmed by the Drambuie and (believe it or not) the Peach bitters. The Cynar probably had some, but not much, responsibility. The drink definitely has a sweetness to it, but it's not cloy. The Amer Picon and the peach bitters, and to some extent the Drambuie, were the bad boys here. Only a slight bitterness, from the Cynar no doubt.

My overall thoughts about the "Tooth & Tail?" It's a middling Scotch cocktail that needs some changes to bring out its better qualities. My first suggestion is to use only one dash of peach bitters. I would reduce the Dambuie slightly, and the Cynar, too. The Amer Picon --maybe make it two barspoons. And I would definitly up the Scotch to 2 1/2 oz. Now that I've suggested some significant changes, I will make them and see if there is any improvement in the "Tooth & Tail" cocktail. If not, then I leave it to others to improve this cocktail--if it can be improved. </p>

• Reply to: Airmail   by   2 weeks 4 days ago

PDT cocktail book attributes this to W.C. Whitfield (Here’s How, 1941). Other sources say first appears in Esquire’s 1949 Handbook for Hosts. Anyone know which is correct? Either way, it clearly predates posted attribution.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   2 weeks 6 days ago

From the video, it seems that the Dewberry Hotel uses Four Roses (standard yellow label). When I tried it, I used Old Gran Dad 114.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   3 weeks 14 hours ago

On my second effort, I used Maker's Mark for the Bourbon, and a skinny "fat" 1/2 oz Cherry Herring, and a skinny 1/4 oz lemon juice. Overall, the drink had a more balanced flavor. In short, I recommend using Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace for the Bourbon, and a tad more than 1/2 oz for the Cherry Herring. I, personally, prefer slightly less than the called-for 1/4 oz lemon--but that's a matter of personal taste. I still rate Panic Button 4.0, even with the above mentioned changes. With a flip of the coin, however, I might go to 4.5.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   3 weeks 16 hours ago

Question: Shake with or without ice? If without ice, why not simply stir? Discard the lemon zest? Maybe drop it into the libation if so inclined, perhaps for a tad more flavor, but some color, for sure.

Regardless, the Panic Button is a great drink. Somewhat bitter, but also tangy. For the bourbon, I used Bulleit Bourbon. It's strong flavors enable it to butt heads with the Campari. The cherry flavor, however, suffers somewhat because of the choice of Bourbon and the Camari. I rated this libation at 4.0. Some might say 4.5. In any event, it's a drink to enjoy.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   3 weeks 16 hours ago

Shake with ice. I'd have thought this was implied by common style (in contrast to "dry shake"), but have edited the recipe for clarity.

Feel free to do what you want with the zest, but Dewberry Hotel doesn't use them as a garnish (and the recipe in Imbibe didn't even have the detail to express, though their YouTube video did).

• Reply to: It's Not Personal   by   3 weeks 17 hours ago

A nice after dinner drink, but it'll do before dinner also. The Benedictine comes through enough to drown out the Nocino's flavor, however. I used 2 dashes of the Mole; a nice outcome. I strongly recommend this libation, and rate it 4.0. An orange twist might be worth trying.

• Reply to: Little Grey Lady   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Far closer to the Corpse Reviver #2 with Elderflower subbed for orange liqueur.

• Reply to: Little Grey Lady   by   3 weeks 1 day ago

Also sort of a Last Word variation.

• Reply to: Cocktail de la Louisiane (Sam Ross)   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Punch suggests (as a preprint from the PDT Cocktail Book): 2 oz. Rye, 3/4 oz. Benedictine, 3/4 ox. Sweet Vermouth, 3 dashes each Absinthe & Peychaud's bitters:  https://punchdrink.com/recipes/de-la-louisiane/

• Reply to: The Getaway   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

Made as directed.  Reminds me of sophisticated Italian (lemon) ice.  I like a nice tart drink like this one.

• Reply to: Shabash   by   3 weeks 2 days ago

The lemon bitters complement the apricot liqueur beautifully.  I blended Cockspur 12 and Plantation OFTD for the rums.

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

This is like drinking heavy machinery.

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Like.

• Reply to: Sound of Silver   by   3 weeks 5 days ago

Used Rittenhouse and Lairds bonded, and just muddled some rosemary in place of the tincture. Very tasty.

• Reply to: Honey Fitz   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

Good drink.  Dry, punchy, almost bubble gum-y.  It is similar in quality to the "Dangerous Liaisons" in the Death and Co. book, a significant improvement over the brandy version ("Happy Honey") in the Dale DeGroff book.  But not as good as the "original"--the Brown Derby, made with bourbon.

• Reply to: The Flame Haired Lady   by   4 weeks 1 day ago

I tried making the linked gingerbread syrup recipe, but I was fairly disappointed with the results. With the Monin syrup though, it's very good.

• Reply to: Handbook for the Recently Deceased   by   1 month 13 hours ago

I don't know, this recipe reads like stereo instructions...

• Reply to: The Verdure   by   1 month 15 hours ago

Lovely cocktail ... I dropped the simple to 1/2  ---  I think Yellow Chartreuse might be fit better from a flavor standpoint  --- I will try next time and report back

• Reply to: Earthen Infusion   by   1 month 17 hours ago

Fernet overpowers the drink, might be best to reduce it in half.

• Reply to: Tea and Krampus   by   1 month 2 days ago

Really good drink! I added 1/2oz of orange juice and didn't have vanilla syrup so I used cinnamon syrup and added a dash of vanilla.  Really good!

• Reply to: Smoke In The Well   by   1 month 2 days ago

I thought it was better with St. George Bruto Americano instead of Campari, less sweet.

• Reply to: Starman   by   1 month 3 days ago

Left me feeling a bit flat. The gin (I used Botanist) just overpowered the Nonino and Apricot. Ok, but unremarkable.

• Reply to: Greenpoint   by   1 month 1 week ago

I just confirmed with MM that the true recipe is 1/2 oz each yellow Chartreuse and Punt e Mes.