• Reply to: The Tolerance Foundation   by   1 month 8 hours ago

This is pretty good but, for some reason, it comes across like very fancy amaretto sour to me.

• Reply to: Tiki-Tiki Tom-Tom   by   1 month 8 hours ago

Unique!

• Reply to: Schrage Muzik   by   1 month 16 hours ago

The two best ways of explaining room temperature cocktails is history (these drinks originated before ice or refrigeration was common) and flask drinking (where having something drinkable, convenient, and compact (no wasted volume for water). Besides that, it's an mental exercise in drink balance where you are balancing proof by sugar and not with the help of dilution or chilling. Many of the modern ones that I have had here in Boston originated as cocktails that tasted better before they were stirred/diluted with ice or after they warmed up. Some people do add water (like 3/4 oz to a 3 oz build) and serve it room temperature -- these are no longer Scaffas but room temperature cocktails (Scaffas lack the water element to make them a cocktail by the 1806 definition).

Also, adding an ice cube to fit the drink to your preferred palate or drink mood is a solid move.

• Reply to: Schrage Muzik   by   1 month 1 day ago

It's good, but I can't get my head/mouth around room temperature cocktails. So I stuck a big rock in the glass and now I'm very happy. Keep in mind it's summer where I am ...

• Reply to: Super Id   by   1 month 1 day ago

good, but as with all recipes calling for Fernet Branca, I cut it in half.

• Reply to: Meatpacker   by   1 month 2 days ago

I'm a huge fan of Pallini Limoncello and I definitely like this cocktail !!  Smooth, gentle, wonderful flavors ...... I like it !!

• Reply to: Franklin Bearse   by   1 month 2 days ago

When Misty Kalkofen made this for me in September 2012, she told me that she wanted to teach the returning students how to drink. My blog post describes, "how she named it after a Cape Cod rum runner who died from a shotgun blast in 1932. The Lowell Sun wrote, 'State police laid the slaying at the door of rum runners they believed had been using the garage as a storage place for liquor-laden trucks. The structure stands about 100 yards from the main highway in a rather isolated section a mile west of Hyannis.'" Yup, this one hits you like a shotgun blast to the head, but a tasty way to go.

• Reply to: The Reiley Ridge   by   1 month 3 days ago

I really wanted to like this, because Root-based cocktails are far & few. But this was way to heavy on the citrus for me. Not balanced & needed a tad more sugar or less sour.

• Reply to: Georgia-Kentucky Squirrel   by   1 month 3 days ago

Way too sour - ease up on the lemon and add a bit of simple syrup.

• Reply to: Old Town Vodka Punch   by   1 month 3 days ago

I used honey-chamomile syrup cuz that's what I had on hand. Honey flavor was great!

• Reply to: American Praline   by   1 month 4 days ago

Since I'm not a big Aperol fan, I made this with Bigallet China-China in lieu of that. I also added 2 ds of El Guapo Chicory-Pecan bitters instead of the Black Walnut. I liked the resulting drink, but found it a bit too sweet for my taste. I added something approaching 1/4 oz of Eda Rhyne Rustic Black Walnut Nocino (which is fairly bitter) and this brought the sweetness into perfect balance for my taste.

• Reply to: Improved Kingston Negroni   by   1 month 4 days ago

Just got my first bottle of CioCiaro, so will give that a try too!

• Reply to: Allen & Wright   by   1 month 6 days ago

This is one of 14 drinks in the database using Root. Happy hunting!  Zachary

• Reply to: Allen & Wright   by   1 month 6 days ago

Thank you for finding something that uses Root! Nicely balanced & surprisingly refreshing.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   1 month 1 week ago

Subbed Barenjager for the honey syrup, and Montenegro for the Sibilla. Very tasty! Calling it a Beekeeper's Folly.

• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   1 month 1 week ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   1 month 1 week ago

This recipe is very different from the one in the Saveur article you linked to (1.5 bourbon, .75 carrot juice, .5 lemon juice, .5 walnut liqueur, .5 demerara syrup, 1 pinch salt). Might have to try both to see which I prefer...

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   1 month 1 week ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   1 month 1 week ago

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   1 month 1 week ago

"Cocchi" is their sweet vermouth -- not the Americano or other. I created this at Russell House Tavern where it appeared on a short menu for a Del Maguey-sponsored Day of the Dead event in 2013. I later made it at other places that had a 3 oz build instead of 4 oz as .75 oz each mezcal and apple brandy and .5 oz each sweet vermouth, Benedctine, and lime.

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   1 month 1 week ago

That Liquor.com link no longer lists this drink (they updated the article with a new list of 7 drinks). We had the Dunaway served to us by Misty at Drink in 2009.

• Reply to: Flor de Jerez   by   1 month 1 week ago

Really good-nice on a cold February night but can imagine it being excellent for summer too

• Reply to: 8th Arrondissement   by   1 month 1 week ago

Subbed CioCiaro for Amer Picon - delicious!

• Reply to: Gallivanting in Golden Gai   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Another 5 in my cocktail list for a Yarm creation. I don't know how you do it, Fred, but don't stop.

• Reply to: Death's Door Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Rich, boozy. Chocolate, orange, gin. Winter & Christmas.