• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   8 months 4 days ago

Cute name. I'm surprised this isn't too sweet though.

• Reply to: Plumb the Soul   by   8 months 5 days ago

Curated this. Removed the long quote from Toby for copyright reasons - it's at the cited link. Added the grapefruit peel garnish, removed "fresh" from lemon juice... we know better. Rewrote instructions to avoid copyright. As an aside, this develops grapefruit flavors without the use of grapefruit - I'm not sure that adding the grapefruit bitters is necessary. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   8 months 1 week ago

Note that the reference used also mentions nothing about ice & this is often recommended as a room temperature cocktail.

See also The Rebennack on this site.

• Reply to: The Rebennack   by   8 months 1 week ago

Contrast with Rebannack on this site. Also note that Chris has a video showing it stirred with ice and strained into an ice-filled goblet, so it seems to serve both as a room temperature flask cocktail and a nice chilled sipper at the bar.

• Reply to: The Blur   by   8 months 1 week ago

I love the flavors of a last word cocktail but not the sweetness. This is a great solution, very light and refreshing.

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   8 months 1 week ago

A+ name. Hope I one day git gud enough to drink it.

• Reply to: Rebannack   by   8 months 1 week ago

So it turns out that there are a couple versions of this drink floating around the internet, including a Youtube video of Chris Hannah making the drink. I have curated this one to conform with the cited link and added a link to the Rye/Averna/Creole Shrubb version as well. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   8 months 1 week ago

Similar in concept to my Bernet Frankenstein.

• Reply to: Italian Toolbag   by   8 months 1 week ago

Sweet, but interesting with effectively no base spirit.

• Reply to: Millionaire   by   8 months 1 week ago

Replying to the undated/uncredited note from another user: you can either make two or eye-ball a half eggwhite or measure out a tablespoon (as a large egg white is about 1 oz).

• Reply to: Tender Nob   by   8 months 1 week ago

Tenderloin and Nob Hill are adjacent neighborhoods in SF, the latter being affluent and the former being considerably less so. "Tender Nob" refers to the area between the two. The cocktail creator is based in SF and this uses both "affluent" cognac and "less affluent" Wild Turkey.

The double entendre is likely lost on nobody, but this is hardly "vulgar for vulgarity's sake".

• Reply to: Tender Nob   by   8 months 1 week ago

Renamed from Tender Knob to match source reference. Seems like a vulgar name, however.

• Reply to: Violetta thyme   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

One of my favourite cocktails on this site. Halved the maraschino as it was plenty sweet already with the st germain. Subbed with plum bitters and sprig of lavender as I didn't have any thyme.

• Reply to: Bitter Blossom   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

In 2013, the only readily available Templeton Rye was their 4 year old, which is light in body and somewhat sweet in taste. Your dissatisfaction with the outcome of your drink was, I suspect, the fault of the rye used, not the recipe. If you use Templeton Rye 6 year old (which came out in 2015 or 2016), you'll be much more satisfied with the resultant cocktail. In short, it will likely be what you were expecting from the recipe.

• Reply to: Dickens Flip   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Curated slightly to specify Angostura bitters.

• Reply to: Speaking in Tongues   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Abano has a fairly unique black pepper flavor. I think you could sub something like Averna or even Cynar, but it will be a different drink.

• Reply to: The Last Mechanical Art   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

This fires on all cylinders for me--a great mix of smokey, sweet, bitter, and spirit-y.  The orange peel garnish adds a great sensation on the nose that combines well with the actual drinking.

• Reply to: Speaking in Tongues   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

I am interested to try but don't have (and can't find) Amaro Abano.  Any substitutions recommended? I have other Amaris

<br />
    <p>
    Remarkably similar in taste to "Blood & Sand." I was surprised given Blood & Sand has scotch as its base liquor, while Blood and Famine uses Bushmill's Irish whiskey for its base liquor (I chose Black Bush because of its strong, sturdy body notes). I also used Dolin Rouge for Blood and Sands' sweet vermouth. Black Bush manages to make its presence known over the other ingredients, that are also in Blood & Sand, which explains why both taste somewhat similar. The Blood & Sand is somewhat sweeter, as I used Dewar's scotch (a pleasant, light in body, blended scotch). In short, if you like one, you'll like the other. I rated Blood & Famine at 4.0.</p>

• Reply to: Highlander Cocktail   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

Merged with the Monaco Friar, which has 3 dashes of Ango. www.foodandwine.com/recipes/monaco-friar

• Reply to: Caribbean Coffee Crush   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

The posted link is dead, but Wayback Machine to the rescue.

• 1 C Cane Sugar
    • 1/2 C Brewed Coffee
    • 1/2 C Stout

Combine over medium heat until sugar dissolves.

• Reply to: Grapefruit And Smoke   by   8 months 2 weeks ago

It's meant to be two drinks, but there's a handy resizing tool in the corner... Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Churchgoer   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

Lovely! and so much more palatable than the classic dry martini. Didn't have Genever but subbed St Georges Dry Rye gin which has a not entirely dissimilar flavour profile, a little more botanical and a little less yeasty/ bread-like as genever but the combination of all the ingredients strangely highlights the bready tone. Makes a beautiful pale gold drink.

• Reply to: Grapefruit And Smoke   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

8.25 ounces is a big drink...I halved it. Grapefruit and Aperol play real well with the mezcal (I used Vida). A saline solution could be fun to play with in this. I'd double strain next time.

• Reply to: Caribbean Coffee Crush   by   8 months 3 weeks ago

A user asks: Is there a recipe for the coffee-stout syrup, and how long will it last in the refrigerator? Thanks,  Zachary