• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   6 years 3 months ago

I updated the history, clarified the name and changed the ratio to 3:1. This is specified in metric: 6cl:2cl. Kindred Cocktails rounds the 2/3oz that is 2cl to 5/8oz, a more manageable amount for most bartenders to measure.

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   6 years 3 months ago

-edit- I was wrong :)

• Reply to: Gin Basil Smash   by   6 years 3 months ago

The Gin Basil Smash was created by Jörg Meyer (Le Lion, Hamburg - Germany) in 2008.

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   6 years 3 months ago

Dan,

The Difford's Guide says equal parts "Scotch" and St. Germain. The Ogho.sh article says use 3:1 Glenmorangie Signet (a Highland at $200 a bottle!). This is a little more than 2 1/2 :1, and is using Islay... does anyone have the Difford's Guide and can clarify the brand of Scotch?

Can we also move the 2 1/2:1 and 3:1 versions as variations in the notes?

Zach

• Reply to: Padovani (Islay)   by   6 years 3 months ago

Moderated to provide instructions and some reference / attribution. Actual creator currently unknown. I'm not sure I understand the odd 5/8 measurement. ohgo.sh used 1-1/2 and 1/2 oz.

• Reply to: Antihero   by   6 years 3 months ago

Delicious. Sub'd Punt e Mes + Martini & Rossi Bianco for Rosata. Might try with lemon next. The lime mates well with the spicy tequila, but the lemon would be nice with the vermouth and Cynar.

• Reply to: Margarita   by   6 years 3 months ago

I like 2 oz Siete Leguas Blanco (or Tequila Ocho), 1 oz lime, 3/4 Cointreau - I tend to be a minimalist... I want to taste the tequila, and it should be tart. I strongly prefer neutral-spirit based orange liqueurs over brandy based ones.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

Ah, well, it's been a educational experience--to say the least. I did a quick run of the new Trybox Series New Make Rye (from Heaven Hill) and another of Citadelle in separate 1L oak barrels for 1 week. I only did one week because these small barrels oak spirits EXTREMELY quickly.

The New Make is really a delicious spirit (without any help), but given its strength (62%) and earthy rye notes, I think it took to the barrel well, mellowing some of its ferocity with hints of vanilla to make for an interesting and more controllable mixer. I like to mix small amounts (~1/2 oz) to vermouth cocktails to give them an earthy kick.

The Citadelle is a strange beast. I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet because it came out of the barrel tasting unlike anything I'd had before: floral, but woody; and a bit more 'oaked' than 'aged'. All said, I think it tastes a little undefined and lost. Though, I think it worked well in this drink.

I think stickin with a bold, cask strength spirit works a little bit better, as a higher proof spirit pulls different compounds of the barrel (so I've read and so I think I've tasted). But, now I'm debating about throwing the Citadelle back in for a month or so just to see what happens.

My friend (username 'kambel') just put a couple bottles of Wray & Nephew Overproof rum into a 2L; can't wait to see how that turns out.

• Reply to: 1919   by   6 years 4 months ago

Recipes specifically calling for Old Monk are so few and far between, I had to give this one a spin. The full ounce of Punt e Mes beats back most of the rye nuances and even most of the endearing harshness of the Old Monk. Certainly the Bénédictine comes through loud and clear. Successive sips do reveal more of the base spirits' character, but they definitely play a backseat to the Punt e Mes and Bénédictine.

I might need to revisit this one with good old Noily Prat to try to strike a rum/rye/vermouth balance that is more to my liking, but this is one that is worth further reflection and experimentation.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

Thanks! I love the whole idea about barrel aging spirits and cocktails, but have yet to take the plunge... I'd love to hear about your results!

Zach

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

Hey Zach,

1) The mellowed in oak refers to my own personal attempts at aging spirits in oak barrels. I placed a bottle of normal Citadelle in a 1 liter new, toasted oak barrel for about a week. The idea was in fact inspired by Citadelle Reserve--which I've yet been able to acquire for comparison. But, I'm hesitant to call it aged as I think these small barrels produce a different product what I'd expect of aging.

2) I'm sure that any brand of pure maple syrup would work just fine. I was only so specific because I've been documenting my personal experiments with kc. I'll make sure to move these unnecessary details to notes or somewhere else.

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

Good morning,

Two quick questions: (1) is the mellowed in oak note meant to reference Citadelle Reserve gin? If so, can you change the ingredient so it'll pop up on my list of articles to write? (2) Does it need to be Kirkland brand maple syrup, or would another brand work as well?

Zach

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

Hmm..good question! I'd wager somewhere around 1/2oz because it didn't actually taste too much of pineapple.

I think the drink comes together more as a flip than a tropical drink. But, do let me know how you work it out! :-)

• Reply to: Aske Not   by   6 years 4 months ago

If we substitute fresh pineapple juice for the cubes, how much would you recommend?

• Reply to: In Vida Veritas   by   6 years 4 months ago

Wow, clash of the titans! I need to try this. Usually I can imagine drinks pretty well in my head, but this one makes my head hurt before I drink it.

• Reply to: Honeymoon Cocktail   by   6 years 4 months ago

I got this recipe from Ted Haigh's book. I'm guessing the curacao got lot when I imported it from one database to the other because of the c-cedilla.

• Reply to: The Riviera   by   6 years 4 months ago

Alrighty.... round 2: Dropped the simple out completely, used the egg white. This is much less sweet, but also not as textured. This is decent enough, but it's missing something. The mint does nothing as a garnish, as the egg white foam mutes most of the aroma of the cocktail. Frustrating.

• Reply to: Honeymoon Cocktail   by   6 years 4 months ago

Corey,

I flagged this for moderation with Dan - he'll clean it up. Can you post a link to the proper recipe? Thanks.

• Reply to: Honeymoon Cocktail   by   6 years 4 months ago

This appears to be missing half an ounce of curaçao.

• Reply to: Fritz   by   6 years 4 months ago

Yes, that really is 3/4 oz of Peychaud's. If you work out the price per ounce, it's not bad.

• Reply to: Fritz   by   6 years 4 months ago

It that really 3/4 oz of Peychaud's? That'll really put a dent in your bitters bottle!

• Reply to: Flowering Fields   by   6 years 4 months ago

OK, I replenished my green Chartreuse, and made this with it. I would strongly recommend dropping the pineapple to 3/4 oz and using 1/2 oz of Chartreuse if you're going that way. I know EV is hard to find, but it's worth it.

• Reply to: French Cola   by   6 years 5 months ago

Nice! I haven't tried it, but Tom is an awesome guy with a great palate. Very passionate cocktail nerd. This drink sounds tasty!

• Reply to: Arbusto Oaxaca 2   by   6 years 5 months ago

Sorry! I used approximately 32 oz of freshly pitted Bing cherries, and the shrub base was poured over them in a jar to cover. Then I let the mix macerate sealed at ambient temp for a week, shaking daily. I decanted tonight and triple strained the mix for clarity's sake into a clean jar.

• Reply to: Arbusto Oaxaca 2   by   6 years 5 months ago

Your cherry shrub recipe seems to be lacking, um, cherries?