• Reply to: Linden Square   by   8 years 8 months ago

Maybe they're going for the citrus + spice thing?

• Reply to: Guyana Flip   by   8 years 8 months ago

Made this tonight. Seems like a great idea - love Demerara rum, love Cynar, love the idea of flips. The rum is obviously present here - that burnt sugar smokyness comes through on the finish nicely. Smells nice, good texture, but the Cynar and Port are lost in the middle of the drink. I think the next go round will be without the Port and a full ounce of Cynar, and probably a dash of Angostura. Other than that, perhaps switching out the Port for something like Domaine Canton Ginger liqueur.

• Reply to: Fumidus   by   8 years 8 months ago

So I made this again, with the sub of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, as Dan suggested. I still like the flamed orange peel, though. With the addition of the Mole Bitters, the drink is more cohesive.

I liked the sweetness of the Fee's Whiskey Barrel Aged 09, but the cocktail is now firmed on the back end by the bitters - it's citrus fruit up front, smoky/tobacco in the midpalate, then bitter and chocolatey that lingers. I like this. I'm changing the recipe entry to Xocolatl Mole Bitters... now for a name ;)

• Reply to: Fumidus   by   8 years 8 months ago

Fascinating cocktail. I was initially skeptical about the Islay Scotch. I often find that Islay-heavy cocktails are good, but not as good as a nice Islay neat. I made it as stated (1:1:0.5:0.5), except with Bowmore Legend.

This drink however brings together the disparate flavors of the bitter, spicy Punt e Mes, the bitter, savory Cynar, and the smoky Scotch. I thought that maybe the Lemon would be the odd man out, and I tasted the drink at room temperature before adding the lemon. It was very good. I usually don't like sweeter drinks, but I found it very appealing without the lemon. The lemon does add both brightness and the actual lemon notes, which complements the Cynar. It reduces the bitterness a bit, but there is sufficient bitterness to retain interest. It also lends a nice transition, with the smoke and acid and lemon flavors giving way to the lingering bitterness. A good sipper.

I had two thoughts for other directions to try. The first would be substituting lemon bitters for the lemon, and garnishing with a huge expressed lemon peel. The second was to try Xocolatl Mole bitters becauese I think the bitter cacao flavor would go well with the peaty scotch and the Punt e Mes spice.

As written this is a very good cocktail, and a surprise as well.

• Reply to: No Mint Bittered Cynar Julep   by   8 years 8 months ago

It's pleasant. I subbed Clement VSOP for the Matusalem. I think it lacks a bit of oomph in the midpalate, and nothing really stands in the forefront. Perhaps a rinse of Fernet Branca to punch up the bitter?

• Reply to: Fernet Flip   by   8 years 8 months ago

Improved attribution; added garnish and glassware.

• Reply to: Red Envelope   by   8 years 8 months ago

If you'd be so kind.... I'm fascinated by cocktail theory. Can you explain some of the thought process behind the drink? I've been struggling with the whole Gin + Amaro accord lately, so this is interesting. Thanks in advance.

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   8 years 8 months ago

Added garnishes, instructions, and attribution link.

• Reply to: Volstead (revised)   by   8 years 8 months ago

Minor edit: Herbsaint is a type of Pastis, rather than Anisette. Thanks for the contribution.

• Reply to: Monaco   by   8 years 8 months ago

Sounds lovely. I'm wondering if something like Clement Creole Shrubb's bitter orange notes would be welcome. (I have not tried Harlequin, however.) Thanks for the contribution.

• Reply to: Periodista   by   8 years 8 months ago

Recipe revised from 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz each of triple sec and apricot liqueur.

• Reply to: La Perla   by   8 years 9 months ago

Clarified that the sherry should be very dry, preferable a Manzanilla.

• Reply to: Suffering Bastard   by   8 years 9 months ago

Someone's copy of The Atlantic Monthly came... ;-) The Hangover Cure, January/February 2011.

The Atlantic Monthly's Derek Brown wrote about this cocktail, and in his recipe allows for ginger beer, which I think would make a very interesting drink.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   8 years 9 months ago

Ooh, ooh, just got a bottle of Zucca. Good stuff. I've added it as an ingredient in Kindred Cocktails. And, yes, you do want a bottle of Cynar.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   8 years 9 months ago

Had the guys at Anvil make this for me, subbing Rittenhouse 100 for Bourbon and Zucca Amaro (rhubarb based) for Cynar... It was all bitter chocolate and wintry spice and enough citrus for balance. Really really good, and makes me want a bottle of Cynar ;)

• Reply to: Falling Leaves   by   8 years 9 months ago

Clarified that an unsweeted pear brandy (eau-de-vie) is intended, not a liqueur. ("Pear brandy" is often used to mean a sweet liqueur, not an unsweetened brandy.)

• Reply to: Applecart   by   8 years 9 months ago

Added suggestion for apple brandy / calvados and combined duplicate recipes.

• Reply to: Lion's Tail   by   8 years 9 months ago

Corrected recipe and added attribution

• Reply to: Drink Lab #1   by   8 years 9 months ago

I love the idea of a group cocktail-making experience. I don't have the Creme de Cacao and truthfully I don't want to buy a bottle unless it's good enough to use in larger quantities. I read about an unreleased cocoa nip liqueur from Bittercube, but I'm not sure it is available yet. I also read about Mozart dry chocolate spirit. This sounds like a really cool product -- unsweetened, bitter chocolate flavor. It could presumably be used with simple syrup as needed.

I have also substituted Meletti for creme de cacao, as I find it's flavor very reminiscent of chocolate. Maybe I could experiment with that.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   8 years 10 months ago

Glad to hear it! I've been trying to track down Carpano Antica in Wisconsin. Might try a Lillet version in the meantime.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   8 years 10 months ago

The blogger at cocktailchronicles.com has passed along the idea of making a Negroni Swizzle by adding a pinch of salt and an ounce of club soda. (Original credit goes to Giuseppe Gonzalez at Painkiller in NY.) Can't wait to try it.

• Reply to: Colonel Carpano   by   8 years 10 months ago

I made it with Knob Creek. The Carpano Antica was readily apparent. Not overly sweet. A Manhattan for the adventurous. Beautiful lingering bitter tones in the finish.

• Reply to: Cuatro Naranjas   by   8 years 10 months ago

Mixology Monday LIII, hosted by Chris Amirault on eGullet, poses a bit of a tough challenge: devise a craft cocktail that would appeal to someone without much exposure to craft cocktails.

I was asked to bring a cocktail to a Mexican-themed dinner party, one where I knew that some of the folks were, uh, not as adventurous as I. While I love a well-made Margarita, I played with the orange flavors to make something both innovative and delicious. The Cuatro Naranjas has strong, complex orange flavors from the Creole Shrubb, Aperol, and Angostura Orange bitters. The Campari deepens the flavors, adds a touch of bitterness, and when combined with Aperol create a grapefruit-like undertone. Looking at the ingredients, you might think that it is hopelessly challenging. No so. The lime balances the bitter.

Even the most "amariphobic" loved it.

• Reply to: Chartreuse Swizzle   by   8 years 10 months ago

Marco contacted Kindred Cocktails with the history of his creation.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   8 years 10 months ago

A fantastic drink - the orgeat barely holds off the Angostura's bitterness, and opens it up nicely. I can't figure out why the Rye's there, but this is a winner of a counterintuitive drink.