• Reply to: Metamorphosis   by   8 years 10 months ago

I chose this as my first cocktail with which to sample my brand new bottle of Becherovka. Even if I only make this over and over again, I will be happy. Delicious, thank you.

• Reply to: Celery Sour   by   8 years 10 months ago

Christina, Thank you for the kind comment and the new cocktails. My intent was to make a cocktail that smelled like celery without any celery in it, the way a Jasmine builds pink grapefruit flavors through lemon and Campari. It was completely accidental. I was playing around with St. Germain, and I love both Fernet and the sour family, and the St. Germain + Fernet was interestingly green. Herbsaint with the two of those brings it very very close to smelling like celery.

As for substitutions, Sapphire for Broker's should be fine. Herbsaint is probably more sweet than your absinthe. And while you can use BT Celery Bitters, I don't think they're necessary. I think the Herbsaint is the important thing for you to get.

Zachary

• Reply to: Sloppy Possum   by   8 years 10 months ago

That is some sublime, gingery minty goodness. Disclaimer: I am hopelessly addicted to ginger and mint. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply to: Golden Gate Swizzle   by   8 years 10 months ago

I need to try this recipe again when I have the proper ingredients. I used Torani almond syrup, and the artificial almond extract flavor is getting in the way. Guess it is time to make my own. Also, I have Regan's orange bitters- I would love to know if they are similar to the Angostura Orange, or if it would be reasonable to have both. But even with the low quality orgeat, I find this strangely addicting.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

You can try my ploy of sub'ing half Campari for the fruit liqueur, or you could try Zach's historic interpretation, although it might require some more purchases. ;)

• Reply to: Celery Sour   by   8 years 10 months ago

I really like this! Very refreshing. I had to make a couple of substitutions based on what I had: Obsello Absinthe Verte for the Herbsaint, and Bombay Sapphire for the Broker's. I had Bitter Truth Celery Bitters, and used those (is that what you intended?). I would love to know if this gets me in the right neighborhood... I like Fernet and anise flavors in small doses, and for me, this is a really good application. Thank you.

• Reply to: Elder Monk   by   8 years 10 months ago

I really love this herbal, floral creation, thank you! I tried it with Yellow Chartreuse before I had Benedictine, which was also great. This is on my short list of absolute favorites.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

This is my first time using apricot liqueur (I have the Rothman and Winter). This is a little reminiscent of jolly rancher for me; I hope I can find a more subtle application for this ingredient.

• Reply to: The Voyager   by   8 years 10 months ago

thanks, sorry I didn't catch more of that when I added the recipe

• Reply to: The Voyager   by   8 years 10 months ago

thanks, sorry I didn't catch more of that when I added the recipe

• Reply to: The Asterisk   by   8 years 10 months ago

Thanks for catching that

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

I had tweaked this cocktail with Campari, which I subsequently deleted since it isn't authentic. My tweak was to use Campari for half the fruit liqueur. Also see Zachary's note for what was probably originally intended.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

Since this originated in 1881 in the US, I'd be willing to bet that the gin called for would be Old Tom, which has some sweetness to it. I'd also bet that the "apricot brandy" is meant to be brandy rested on apricot (or peach) pits. Maybe equal parts fairly old Cognac and apricot eau de vie (Blume Marillen) would be an appropriate substitution.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

Has there been a change? I'm not seeing the campari.

• Reply to: Beuser & Angus Special   by   8 years 10 months ago

Yes, a typo, thanks for catching that.

• Reply to: The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

And the creator should be correctly attributed to Butters, who is a member here (a.k.a. PB & Foie).

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   8 years 10 months ago

Dan,

If you dissolved pink Peeps in Creme de Violette, you might have Creme Yvette... you will now have nightmares.

• Reply to: The Mexican Hoskins Cocktail   by   8 years 10 months ago

Name changed from Hoskins Cocktail (Amer Picon-less version) to The Mexican Hoskins Cocktails.

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   8 years 10 months ago

Actually, I've never tried Creme Yvette because I have a 267-year supply of Creme de Violette to use up first. ;)

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   8 years 10 months ago

Half Myers's and half Smith & Cross sounds like it would be good. I love (love, love) Smith & Cross, so I'd be happy with all Smith & Cross, but it sure would be resplendent with rum hogo!

• Reply to: Beuser & Angus Special   by   8 years 10 months ago

I removed 1 3/4oz of Yellow Chartreuse, which doesn't appear in the original cocktail and I suspect was a typo. If this was intended, then you might indicate it in the Your Comments section of your Cocktail Book entry.

• Reply to: The Voyager   by   8 years 10 months ago

Added attribution, garnish, history, and instructions. Changed rum ingredient to "gold rum"

• Reply to: The Asterisk   by   8 years 10 months ago

Fixed the missing Chartreuse quantity and added the attribution.

• Reply to: Lilac Domino   by   8 years 10 months ago

You know who would really like this? Dan. He loves Creme Yvette... the more the better.

• Reply to: Clermeil   by   8 years 10 months ago

I had Meyer's, Smith and Cross, and regular old Bacardi on hand. I went with the Smith & Cross and I don't know if 1.5 oz of this rum was the best choice for this cocktail. Next time I'll try a more neutral, lower proofed rum or some of each.