• Reply to: French 75   by   9 years 5 days ago

Interesting. Among my friends, I call the Cognac version a French French 75. I made these for a friend's 50's birthday party, which was catered. Big hit. It is one of those cocktails that appeals to a wide variety of imbibers.

• Reply to: French 75   by   9 years 6 days ago

I've always been told that if it's gin, it's an English 75, and that Cognac is the way to go here.

• Reply to: French 75   by   9 years 6 days ago

I prefer this with cognac. It is a very good, classic cocktail. The Elderflower version (French 77) is a nice variation, particularly if you haven't been overexposed to St Germain.

• Reply to: French 75   by   9 years 6 days ago

For brunch survival purposes I go with 1 oz gin instead of 2. Also I go more toward cava or prosecco. I haven't taken up Todd Maul's suggestion that this apéro requires cognac rather than gin - with the lemon/bubbly combo I'd think that gin would be a no-brainer.

• Reply to: Gilroy Cocktail (Rum variation)   by   9 years 6 days ago

Sub'd left over rye/cherry juice / spices liquid used for making cocktail cherries for the Cherry Heering. Too strongly spiced. Added 1 oz of Zucca. Yummy.

• Reply to: The Riviera   by   9 years 6 days ago

Fresh pineapple on hand. Time for another batch of pineapple-infused Gin + Campari + Maraschino. I just recently discovered that the authentic recipe uses simple syrup and an egg white. This sounds too sweet to me, as I usually omit both and use 2-1/2 oz of the mixture. I also swap the Maraschino and Campari for a more bitter drink.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   9 years 1 week ago

Dan, frankly I'm glad you incorporated the Campari - as you know I have a bitter bell that loves to be rung, even better when it's bitter with fruits. It's a good thing that this is a gin cocktail, the botanicals with lime keep the drink in these specs from being cloying in any way. Next time I might add a touch more R&W!

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   9 years 1 week ago

Rob, I fear that the recipe when you made this was tinkered by me. The original from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is 2 gin, 1 apricot or peach brandy, 2-3 dashes Peychaud's, and 3/4oz lime juice. The Campari addition was mine and I have no idea why the lime was halved.

• Reply to: Pendennis Cocktail   by   9 years 1 week ago

Made this tonight, with Rothman & Winter apricot liqueur, 1/2 oz of lime juice and a double dose of cranberry bitters (because I'm out of Peychaud right now). Tasted balanced to me, not too sweet at all, and I think using the R&W and upping the lime juice helped. As the French say, Chacun à son gout (Each to his own gout, heh). Girlie drink? Nah!

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   9 years 1 week ago

Sounds tasty. I improved the reference and made the float, garnish, and instructions match the St Germain website's recipe a bit closer.

• Reply to: Daisy If You Do   by   9 years 1 week ago

Subbed out a few things - got good results: used B&B rather than Benedictine and Agave. Swapped the Whiskey Bitters for Grapefruit bitters, and used Averna as the amaro of choice. Sipping delight.

• Reply to: Nomayo   by   9 years 1 week ago

Nice balance. Use Hendricks for a less ginny taste. And a sweeter sparkling wine.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving Apéro   by   9 years 1 week ago

Lillet asked for a photo, so I obliged.

• Reply to: Son of a Preacher Man   by   9 years 1 week ago

The Pernod rinse might overpower the nose a bit on this one, but over nice balance and good flavor.

• Reply to: 17th Century Cocktail   by   9 years 1 week ago

So weirdly enough, this works. It definitely gets enough orange into the drink, and the Manzanilla + Arrack give almost a smoky, Mezcal accord. This is definitely dry, but interesting.

• Reply to: Thanksgiving Apéro   by   9 years 2 weeks ago

Dan, thanks for the nice picture! As for the prosecco in the shot the Mionetto secco was a great call, just what I used last Thanksgiving!

• Reply to: Diamondback (Green)   by   9 years 2 weeks ago

I merged the Green Rose posted by Kenny into this recipe. The only difference is that Kenny's Green Rose calls for 1/2 oz of Green Chartreuse, rather than 3/4 oz. If this difference is meaningful to you, you might note it in the comments section of your Cocktail Book entry. It's my hope that keeping the recipes in Kindred Cocktail distinct helps you find good recipes that are interesting to you.

• Reply to: Twentieth Century Cocktail (Meletti)   by   9 years 2 weeks ago

Nice drink. I have a suggestion for the variation's name: "Venti Secolo" ('Twentieth Century' in Italian and it sounds cool).

• Reply to: Left Hand   by   9 years 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Campus Five. I've correct the recipe using the source you cited.

• Reply to: Left Hand   by   9 years 2 weeks ago

The recipe as currently listed is not the original, but rather an accidental variation by Damian Windsor (currently at Roger Room, Los Angeles) that I have posted on eGullet repeatedly.

The original is by Sam Ross (Milk and Honey, Little Branch, etc.).

1.5 oz Bourbon (Elijah Craig)
    .75 oz Campari
    .75 oz Carpano Antica
    2 dashes Mole Bitters

Stir, strain, up, cherry.

This recipe was originally found on the Bitterman's website, but it's been removed.
    It can be found in this book: http://books.google.com/books?id=hKgGjgbfhaUC&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=%22lef...
    However, it lists Bitterman's Sweet Chocolate Bitters, instead of the Mole Bitters.

• Reply to: Mexican Firing Squad   by   9 years 3 weeks ago

Corrected bitters -- recipe calls for regular Angostura, not Angostura Orange. Added city and estimated date.

• Reply to: Boulevardier Riff (Fred Sarkis)   by   9 years 4 weeks ago

This drink sounds delicious!

• Reply to: Derby   by   9 years 4 weeks ago

I think this one comes out pretty good, but I would cut back a little on the lime juice, or add a dash or two of simple syrup.

• Reply to: The Warning Label   by   9 years 1 month ago

This drink is insanely wonderful if you modify it by replacing the overproof rum with 3/4 ounce smith & cross and 3/4 ounce Lemon Hart 151.

• Reply to: Existential Hero   by   9 years 1 month ago

What a delicious drink! The creator should win a prize or something. (Full disclosure: I'm the creator. The name, however, is Dan's.)