• Reply to: Singapore Sling   by   9 years 1 month ago

Made this tonight, subbing Maurin Quina for the Cherry Heering. This is quite pleasant, and Tiki-ish. Pineapple's always good for texture, and there's something interesting going on between the pineapple and the Benedictine (which makes three winners in my book - pineapple + Cynar, or Benedictine or green Chartreuse). It's a bit sweetish, and quite easy to drink.

• Reply to: Linden Square   by   9 years 1 month ago

Recipe updated based upon response from creator. Name and recipe changed.

• Reply to: Root of All Evil   by   9 years 1 month ago

I love this drink! This is the drink that made me fall in love with Fernet. The first time I made it, I halved the fernet because it was just too strong of a flavor for me. In fact it was polarizing. I hated it, but wanted to love it. Now, Fernet is one of my favorite amaros to mix. Fernet will grow on you if you give it a chance. Really great drink!

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   9 years 1 month ago

I agree. Give it a go.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   9 years 1 month ago

Maybe Bluecoat (out of Philly) would work - it's citrus + earthy/juniper

• Reply to: Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   by   9 years 1 month ago

Well, it's supposed to be a sidecar riff -- get it ;-)

I'm not sure Averna has the orange to pull it off, but it might be worth trying. I think it's Montenegro that's very orange forward, but I don't intend to buy it as I've heard it described as a "creamsicle." The simple was there only because the kumquats were very sour. Sometimes they are almost sweet, though.

I'll try what you suggest. Since you have Amer Picon, you could take it in that direction. I do have a small amount of Amer Picon Biere. Maybe try that.

• Reply to: Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   by   9 years 1 month ago

Dan,

From looking at it, maybe drop the simple and change the Cointreau for Averna?

• Reply to: Unicycle (Drink Lab 10)   by   9 years 1 month ago

May be better with cognac for more base-spirit flavor. Try skipping Cointreau. Promising.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   9 years 1 month ago

I understand the preference for some brands, but Leopold Brothers Gin is not distributed everywhere. Could another mainstream gin be used? And could not Bittermen's grapefruit bitters be used?

• Reply to: Diamondback (Green)   by   9 years 1 month ago

I merged two identical recipes for this cocktail. This is the Green Chartreuse version. The original with yellow is not made as often anymore. If the original is made, consider reducing the yellow chartreuse to 1/2 oz to avoid being overly sweet.

• Reply to: Buah Arak   by   9 years 1 month ago

Rob,

Did I ever tell you that I think Batavia Arrack smells like buttered stripper pole?

• Reply to: Buah Arak   by   9 years 1 month ago

So funny! This kinda Tiki-ish cocktail serves only if you're "one and done". I'd recoil in horror if I'd had more! Thank Lordy that moderation is a virtue.

• Reply to: Buah Arak   by   9 years 1 month ago

Wow... a whole ounce of Batavia Arrack. That frightens me about as much as a 3 oz glass of Parfait Amour scares Dan ;)

• Reply to: Monkey Gland   by   9 years 1 month ago

Two variants of the Monkey Gland were combined. The other variation called for only 1/2 tsp of Absinthe and Grenadine.

• Reply to: Haut-Medoc   by   9 years 1 month ago

So I'm busy today. My likker store actually sourced a bottle of Maurin Quina for me, and I made the drink as written (the bitters are dropper instead of dash). I like this, if I do say so myself. It tastes like a good left bank Bordeaux in a weird way, with woody notes forward, cassis and red fruit in the midpalate, then the bitterness of the Maurin Quina mixed with the chile-accented bitters on the finish. I think a bit of extra shaking is a good thing as it brings out the brambly Cassis more.

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   9 years 1 month ago

The 3/4 oz of pineapple version is better than the 3/4 oz lemon version. More pineapple develops the musky aroma that accents the Bananas Foster/estery rum nicely, and gives the palate a sweet and sour thing.

• Reply to: Honeymusk   by   9 years 1 month ago

Smells great. Too much lemon, it compresses the midpalate. Maybe either 3/4 oz of pineapple or 3/4 oz of lemon would work. Will report back.

• Reply to: Bengal   by   9 years 1 month ago

So I made this... made pineapple syrup, used (very) good brandy (Germain-Robin single barrel Viognier). Yes, it's sweet. Surprisingly, the Maraschino is forward. It needed some acid, badly, so I added 1/4 oz lemon. Still not a Dan kind of cocktail, but this has nice texture, and corrected for the modern palate, it's got redeeming qualities.

• Reply to: Bengal   by   9 years 1 month ago

Personally, I would drop the pineapple syrup to 1/4 oz and add 3/4 oz lime - it might be like a Pegu Club then.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

Rob,

If you put your finger in the middle of a map of Texas, you'll be close to where I live. But I'm going to make an effort to track down that Combier.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

As for the calvados, scare away! And I was lucky to have found the Combier Rouge here in Boston at Cirace in the North End. If you're elsewhere, I'd advise you to ask about it. I'm an avowed cherry fiend, love making cherry shrub at home in season. That fresh/umami cherry taste is hard to beat.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

Rob,

Ah... ok. I've got the Germain Robin apple brandy and Familie Dupont 86 vintage Calvados, which might scare some of those other ingredients into submission ;) I wonder if I can convince my likker store to carry the Combier stuff?

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

Truth to tell, I used "Originel" brand calvados that I bought today from Bauer on Newbury St because the price was right. It is rather fruit-forward and a more complex (and pricier) calvados might be more pleasing. I bought the Dolin from Bauer today as well, and I made this cocktail with the Dolin in mind. I wouldn't use Noilly Prat for this. Using Lillet blanc would make the drink fruitier and perhaps a bit flaccid; I'd definitely recommend using Cocci Americano as an alternative. The balance to me comes more through the herbal mix than from any bitter aspect, though I might try this sometime with cranberry or Burlesque bitters for fun.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

Thanks Dan! Seriously, when I first sampled the Combier Rouge at Cirace in the North End it struck me with its freshness along with good cherry umami. I was impressed.

• Reply to: Fruites Douces aux Fines Herbes   by   9 years 1 month ago

Rob,

This looks interesting -- which Calvados do you recommend, and does it achieve balance through the bitterness of the Vermouth?