• Reply to: Bitter Branch   by   2 months 1 week ago

I have messed around with this recipe and I have had it at the Marvel Bar.  I personally like it best with 2 drops of salt solution and I prefer Braulio over the Cynar in the same ratio.

• Reply to: Ali-Frazier   by   2 months 1 week ago

used Patron aranja & JDrye

• Reply to: Martineuse   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

While its origin may be a Martinez riff, I see these ingredients and think Bijou (which doesn't always have bitters in the recipe). So I used 1 oz of the robust Castle & Key overproof gin, 1 oz Casa Mariol vermut negro, and kept the Green Chartreuse at .5 oz. I think it worked well using a stronger gin and a more confident vermouth and give it a solid 3.5 stars. Also I stirred it with about 6 oz of fine ice.

• Reply to: Midnight Stroll   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Made as pictured but with broken ice. Very good. I like the way the Ramazzotti sweet spice finishes and subdues the Campari.

• Reply to: One Night in Bucharest (O Noapte in Bucuresti)   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

As a huge fan of Hungarian Pálinka (cherry and plum being my favorites) I had to try this. It's hard to get Pálinka so slivovitz made sense, but it was a bit too sweet. I'll have to try without the ss and maybe subbing with Kirschwasser as well.

• Reply to: Puritan Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Alaska improved with dry vermouth, very nice. I've seen this on a menu with Dolin Blanc for Dry Vermouth, under the name "Vandelay Industries" which comes off a bit too sweet still.

• Reply to: Bloody Mary   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

With gin this resembles a Red Snapper, though I think that works better as a lowball, 2 oz gin, 2 oz tomato etc., pimola garnish.

• Reply to: Bar Eats You   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I like your style, Dude.

• Reply to: Old City   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

This is essentially the original Grohusko Brooklyn from 1908 with the vermouth lowered for modern taste. Very good.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the explanation. Seems reasonable.

I've since had both versions as short sippers (though Butchertown, rather than Sacred Bond). I tend to enjoy bitters-heavy cocktails, but both variants are so Ango-dominant that I don't personally register either as being significantly "more balanced" than the other.

Assuming bonded brandy: after dilution, the original recipe is ~26% ABV, similar to other spirit-forward cocktails like a De La Louisiane or a bonded Manhattan (though a bit less sweet). The inverted recipe is ~23% ABV, closer to a Martinez or a Hanky Panky.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Just doubling the amounts as written leads to a drink that's 2 ounces of 80 proof spirit (and more if you're using bonded brandy) that's balanced by 2 teaspoons of sweet vermouth. That just seems unpleasant, which is why it's a 1.5 ounce shot as written. Swapping them makes a drink that's equal parts gin + brandy and sweet vermouth with a good amount of bitters. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I don't follow. Why would you swap gin and vermouth here? That changes the flavor profile.

If you use 1.5 oz gin and 0.75 oz of everything else, you'll get the same flavor in a drink that comes in at 5.4 oz (after dilution).

Using 1 oz gin and 0.5 oz everything else comes in at 3.6 oz (within the request, but small for a modern drink).

Either seem "easy enough".

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I think Mr. Pearson's switch allows the drink to be enjoyed as a sipped cocktail better, notwithstanding it subdues it and changes it. If the original brisk "knock-back" is desired on a standard scale (for the sake of experiencing  history, perhaps), 1 oz Gin, 1/2 oz of each of the rest might work, though I've had barkeeper friends suggest tampering with the ratio, adding a dash of lemon or syrup, etc., which might speak more to their personal tastes (i.e., toward more punch-like "balance," or else challenging the palate, etc.). One even wanted to frame it as a Negroni riff, brandy and bitters replacing Campari.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the suggestion. It seems to work well.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

So I know we usually don't do drinks with odd measurements like parts and jiggers, but turning 2/5 of a 1 1/2 oz drink into ounces gets silly real quick - 3/5 and 3/10 of an ounce is hard to measure. The OP asked how I'd scale it up to a 3-4 ounce drink, and my best guess would be to swap the vermouth and gin amounts, so: 1.25 vermouth, and a fat 1/2 oz of gin, brandy and Angostura. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Dead Last   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Use 1/2 Campari and 1/2 Aperol for the Aperitivo. Very good. I would reduce the lime to 1/2 and omit the simple.

• Reply to: Tijuana Lady   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Okay, but Muisca Sour is a better version.

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

It is printed in the book as ".5 oz" and this is how I prepared it. I also wondered whether this was a misprint, but don't know how we'd check.

• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I was familiar with the Straub recipe, but I believe that found in the Old Waldorf Bar Days (published long after the bar manual was written) to represent the earlier form, that is, a stirred, room temperature drink. It has been quite successful at parties.

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

^Was that last measure supposed to be 1.5?

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I'm Just Here for the Drinks includes the Pendergast #2, also from Maybee, which reduces the whiskey and uses orange bitters:

• 3-4 dashes orange bitters
    • 0.5 oz Bénédictine
    • 0.75 oz sweet vermouth
    • 0.5 oz J Rieger's Kansas City Whiskey (which has a small amount of sherry added in the finished product)

Fantastic variation.

• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Sound curation, though I'll side with the later recipes as far as stirring rather than shaking this.

(And call me crazy, but I might prefer the room-temp version.)

• Reply to: Kal Katz   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Used pineapple molosses, homemade mint liquor and a softer maraschino than luxardo.

That was good but seemed to lack something. I will do again with proper ingredients

• Reply to: The SAGE Blossom   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Tried this combining izarra green and elixir chartreuse instead of sage liquor. And used belvoir ginger cordial. Good overall. Campari is mild. Strong spicy ginger and herbal liqueur worked perfectly.

I tried to up campari and herbal liqueur by 1/4 each but the balance vanished.

• Reply to: Precision Timepiece   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Aperol and anise from jager combined well. Pimento bitters is essential, and add a little something allowing to tame the sweetness. I tried to add after a few sips 1/3 oz wray and nephew overproof: Not concluding! It tamed sweetness but taste too!

What about using amaro abano from luxardo which is dryer than montenegro ?

Do not have it...