• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

This recipe is very different from the one in the Saveur article you linked to (1.5 bourbon, .75 carrot juice, .5 lemon juice, .5 walnut liqueur, .5 demerara syrup, 1 pinch salt). Might have to try both to see which I prefer...

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

"Cocchi" is their sweet vermouth -- not the Americano or other. I created this at Russell House Tavern where it appeared on a short menu for a Del Maguey-sponsored Day of the Dead event in 2013. I later made it at other places that had a 3 oz build instead of 4 oz as .75 oz each mezcal and apple brandy and .5 oz each sweet vermouth, Benedctine, and lime.

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

That Liquor.com link no longer lists this drink (they updated the article with a new list of 7 drinks). We had the Dunaway served to us by Misty at Drink in 2009.

• Reply to: Flor de Jerez   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Really good-nice on a cold February night but can imagine it being excellent for summer too

• Reply to: 8th Arrondissement   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Subbed CioCiaro for Amer Picon - delicious!

• Reply to: Gallivanting in Golden Gai   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Another 5 in my cocktail list for a Yarm creation. I don't know how you do it, Fred, but don't stop.

• Reply to: Death's Door Cocktail   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Rich, boozy. Chocolate, orange, gin. Winter & Christmas.

• Reply to: Amari & friends   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

Two I've used instead of Campari in Negroni: Rinomato and Bruto Americano.  Wish I could provide more notes on these, but I thought they both subbed in really elegantly.  Bruto Americano has a little more 'smokiness' than Campari, maybe oak?

• Reply to: The Equinox   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Hum

• Reply to: The Preston-Baker   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

This drink was formulated with Giffard's Banane as well as Beefeater, Clement Premiere Canne Rhum Agricole, Dolin Blanc, and Regan's Orange Bitters. I haven't played around with other banana liqueurs as much (I have had them in drinks -- and once both in the same since they wanted different aspects from each). Either way, the banana should be a hint of tropical.

• Reply to: The Equinox   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Hum?

• Reply to: The Preston-Baker   by   1 month 4 weeks ago

Nice well balanced cocktail, may need fiddling with Creme de Banane depending on the brand. (I upped to a heavy 1/4 ounce of Tempus Fugit but also used Neisson 50% abv agricole which isn't as fruity as other agricoles).

• Reply to: Celery Tonic   by   2 months 20 hours ago

I'm a big fan of Claire, but using "tonic" in the name of this drink makes no sense; this is a Celery Gin Sour.

• Reply to: Daiquiri (Simo)   by   2 months 4 days ago

Curated this - changed the last rum to the correct spec in the article. Not that a lot of people are going to have it. Maybe a Velier Hampden - S&C isn't aged enough. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Run Through The Jungle   by   2 months 5 days ago
  • Reply to: Ciudad Vieja   by   2 months 5 days ago

While this build is fine (and the people I've made it for tend to enjoy it more than me), it tends to be a little curacao heavy for me, with the sugary sweet Ronnie Zac combining with it to have a strong candied orange note that's a touch off putting.  I like to sub Bigallet China-China for the curacao for a more complex, bitter, less orange forward version.  I imagine Amaro Nonino would work as well.  Also needs a bit more dilution than I normally do (50-60 stir revolutions, so an extra 10-15 is fine), and the expressed lemon peel is a must to cut the sweetness.

• Reply to: Chasing My Tail   by   2 months 1 week ago

mako,

The original idea & recipe was passed along to me by Mike Gordon.  I wrote it down, walked over to The Gresham, and Kal Moore put it all together for the very first time.

• Reply to: Barlone Try   by   2 months 1 week ago

I've been working on milk clarifying cocktails like punch. If you warmed an ounce of milk in a small pitcher then poured the ingredients in, it would curdle. Strain that through a damp Chemex filter in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and it's not only stable but it does cool things to flavors and textures.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bells and Whistles   by   2 months 1 week ago

One of the best cocktail of the website.

Already had a dozen in 6 month and always good as the first time.

Perfect balance.

Upgraded Manhattan.

• Reply to: Barlone Try   by   2 months 1 week ago

Tried the three parts, equal parts version as now listed (lime, no simple).  Balanced & herbaceous with a moderately bitter finish; the 'treuse and Suze play off each other quite nicely.  Pretty small with 3/4 oz across the board, I'd either go 1/2 oz each for a composed shot or 1 oz each for a (smallish) sour cocktail.

• Reply to: Ernst Happel   by   2 months 1 week ago

Thanks for the posting. My proportions: 1 oz. gin, 1/2 oz. all other ingredients except a few drops orange bitters and a touch of sweetener.

• Reply to: Barlone Try   by   2 months 1 week ago

I've removed the simple (not necessary)  and replaced lemon juice for lime.

I really think it is a better version of the drink.