• Reply to: Halcyon   by   2 months 3 days ago

A few slightly odd things about this one. For starters, it's huge. The amounts as written will comfortably yield two drinks. To my taste the salt is a bad idea. It gives an artificial sweet (and salty) taste that I didn't like at all - we had it last night as written and tonight with no salt, and tonight's is much better. And I tried with and without the orange; the orange is an improvement. Without the salt I'll give it a 4.

• Reply to: Bitter Apricot   by   2 months 4 days ago

Very nice balance of sweet, bitter and sour. I agree that a tiny bit more rye makes it better though.

• Reply to: Gin & Gruit   by   2 months 1 week ago

Refreshing summer drink. Made as indicated. Used a very chilled champagne glass which added nice touch.

• Reply to: Poison Dart   by   2 months 1 week ago

Meh...  This looked great on paper but ended up feeling a bit rough.  The component parts didn't play off each other as much as just seem to be bouncing around in my mouth trying to figure out what they were supposed to taste like.  Yeah, that description may sound a bit weird, but it's not inaccurate.  Maybe this would be better if shaken and served over crushed ice, like a straight-up tiki drink?  As it is, it's a case of the thing just not coming together all that well.

• Reply to: Twice Smitten   by   2 months 1 week ago

Light curation: rephrased the instructions and history to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Dark Night of the Soul   by   2 months 1 week ago

Craig, noted and added.

• Reply to: Diamonds on My Windshield   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I like the thyme visually but I think the cocktail is even better with the lemon oils on the edge of the glass and the lemon twist dunked in.  Great taste. Aquavit rising to a position of prominence in my own personal cocktail cosmos. (it must be that it tastes so much like Swedish limpa.)

• Reply to: Manhattan   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Tequila variant - Substitute 2oz reposado tequila for the whisky, and 2 dashes of Scrappy's Firewater Tincture for the bitters.

• Reply to: Bitter Feather   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I used Averna (for some reason the site thinks of that as an ingredient instead of a brand), but I would think any amaro with a similar balance of bitter and sweet would be good, including Cynar, Nonino, etc.

• Reply to: Bitter Feather   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

What style of amaro do you feel works best here? Fruity, honeyed, herbal? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Orchard Gimlet   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Very tasty & refreshing drink; Cocchi Americano added a nice hint of bitterness.  Also good with gin.

• Reply to: Dark Night of the Soul   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

It would be helpful to include a recipe for the five spice syrup in the Notes section.

• Reply to: Years Of Worry   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Made this with OGD 100 and 10 drops of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, 50 revolution stir count.  Liked the flavor profile (reminded me a bit of a stirred boozy version of Bananas Foster), but thought it was a bit sweet for me as written.  Added an additional 10 drops of mole bitters, and per a previous suggestion, spritzed the inside and top of the glass with allspice dram, which I thought was a slight improvement to the drink.  Either way, a very tasty flavor profile.

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Agreed, my sense is the "Eastside" name is prior and more widely recognized.

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Merging is a good idea.

"Eastside" (one word) seems to be a more popular name and may predate that German gimlet. The "Eastside Cocktail" appears in Imbibe dated 2009 and "Eastside Gimlet" in Diffords, where it is claimed this was a 2004 long drink by George Delgado (Libation, NYC) before the up version was popularized by Christy Pope at Milk&Honey. Punch and others haveb obvious riffs on this (with gin and cucumber) called things like "There is no Eastside".

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

A user has pointed out that this drink is pretty similar to the Victorian Gentleman's Gimlet, which was created and posted long before this was. Unless people object, I'm going to merge this in a couple of days - each has about 20 users.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Outre-Mer   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made with Mount Gay Black Barrel and Dolin Rouge. The flavor improved after resting so might try a longer shake next time. I'll definitely try again with a different vermouth.

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Good, but very, very sweet. I would try rye and/or going perfect. Used 50/50 Dolin sweet and Punt e Mes with Tempus Fugit.

• Reply to: The Corsican   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is really a great drink. To me, it's like the mirror image of a Martinez. Very three-dimensional.

• Reply to: Always Money   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

It is. I will update the recipe to reflect that. Thanks!

• Reply to: Bywater   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I too did a lime-tartness thing, but I didn't want to add too much to it, so I used lime bitters and acid phosphate. Pretty good.

• Reply to: Always Money   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Is the thyme garnish? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: TBD (Thai Basil Daiquiri)   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Absolutely delicious! — ☆☆☆☆☆

• Reply to: Basil Gimlet   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Wonderful recipe but would like to up the basil a little. Will try 7 leaves next time. — ☆☆☆☆

• Reply to: Last Word   by   3 months 2 days ago

When it's all said and done, this is my number one.