• Reply to: Greyfriar   by   1 month 3 weeks ago

With "Big Peat"? I love this blended scotch from Islay.

• Reply to: Rhube Rye   by   2 months 8 hours ago

Tried this one yesterday without the lavender garnish.

Quiet good and interesting.

Rye pairs well with lavender, both mix into something "New".

Will do again

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   2 months 6 days ago

Suave Zombie or sophisticated Jet Pilot? Delicious either way!

• Reply to: Fire in the Orchard   by   2 months 1 week ago

Fixed, thanks! Zachary

• Reply to: Fire in the Orchard   by   2 months 1 week ago

The blog entry has lemon juice instead of lime juice.

• Reply to: Spy Boy   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated; added Kindred listing to Notes.

• Reply to: Negroni   by   2 months 1 week ago

I like my cocktails on the dry side, a little lower ABV, and I can never get enough bitter! So lately I've been doing:

3/4 oz Tanqueray

1 oz Campari

3/4 oz Cocchi di Torino

Try it! It's absolute heaven in a glass!

• Reply to: 19th Century   by   2 months 1 week ago

What about pear brandy for the liqueur? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: 19th Century   by   2 months 1 week ago

Whoever said they were skeptical had a right to be (somewhat).  On paper this looks like a sweet bomb, but after making it to spec, it wasn't quite as sweet as I thought it would be (but still too sweet for my palate and most others I'd reckon).  The honeyed herbal notes of the yellow 'treuse really punch through, maybe a bit too much to keep the drink in balance for some, but there is something interesting in the ingredient combination.  I tried a few different ratio combinations and couldn't quite just dial down the sweetness without changing the character of the drink.  I ended up settling on increasing the gin to 1.75 oz and shaking the drink with a lemon peel to strip some of the lemon oil off and reduce the sweetness. That seemed to keep the basic character of the drink but dialed back the sweetness and herbal notes a bit.

• Reply to: Mahogany   by   2 months 1 week ago

I love Jagermeister, and really wish it didn't have the stigma of being a shitty frat-boy shooter, because I think it has so much potential to make lots of really good cocktails. Unfortunately so many bartenders shy away from it for fear of being discredited due to it's recent history. Case in point: this legendary YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QJ9i_o5vo

I digress... I also like my cocktails very much on the dry and bitter. So I reduced the Benedictine to 1/2 oz (might do 1/4 oz Bene next time) and added maybe 1/4 bottle of Underberg...and HOLY SHMOKES BATMAN! I think this might be my new favorite!

• Reply to: Solera   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Correct regarding the veil. Fino/Manzanilla is even lighter than Amontillado, as it maintains the flor longer.

And Palo Cortado is accurately described as between an Amintillado and Olorosso, because, though aged under flor initially, it loses it sooner so has been aged oxidatively for some time between the two.

• Reply to: Solera   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

To put on the wine geek hat for a second (ahem) Amontillado and Oloroso are the results of two very different styles of aging Sherry. While they're both palomino grapes, Amontillado is aged under flor and Oloroso is not, which is why Olorosos are much darker - they're not protected from oxidation by the yeast layer. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Solera   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Corrected spelling of 'Palo' in Notes.

• Reply to: Jekyll and Hyde   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Liked this one better with ¼ oz cinnamon syrup instead of the split sweetener. Didn't expect the 2 types of bitters to be necessary, but the cinnamon notes in the Bitter Truth make a noticeable difference and the Angostura brings it all together. The two citrus peels are a nice touch, but it's fine with just the orange.

• Reply to: Johnny Utah   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Made this with Jeffrey Morgenthaler's grenadine and Cocktail Codex sous vide cinnamon syrup. The pomegranate brings out the fruit in the Campari, and that interplay is the star of the show. Not sure the cinnamon syrup is doing much here, will try again with all grenadine. Delicious regardless. Like an extra bitter extra citrusy Mexican Firing Squad.

• Reply to: Liberal (Averna)   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Lovely. I used Bond & Lillard bourbon, Punt e Mes and my own blood orange bitters. Very chocolatey.

• Reply to: Paris When It Sizzles   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Will try

• Reply to: Candencia Obscura   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Used Havana selección de maestros,  and it was far too sweet for me.

Mostly gran Classico flavor.

• Reply to: Bitter Giuseppe   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

So... this drink. I think that this was the original. It inspired Kirk Estopinal at Cure in New Orleans to come up with the Search for Delicious, which was featured in Beta Cocktails. I would guess that (as Misty Kalkofen put it) a "game of telephone" ensued and thus the Little Giuseppe. All three are significant. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: North Garden   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made exactly as listed. Was a bit rough - Laird's, I've found, is a bit too hot/rough as a primary spirit for me. Works well when supporting and with balancing sweetness (particularly maple notes, demerara syrup, apple juice//cider).

• Reply to: Lilywhacker   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Comes off a bit hot, as listed in the book. Added 1/4 oz rich simple and it balanced it a bit better.

• Reply to: Le Bon Mot   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Closer to 3 stars than 4. Not bad, but not something I wanted a second helping of. Pretty tart drink overall. Didn't highlight the best of any ingredient. Needed more depth to balance out the sour.

• Reply to: Clare Island   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Built as indicated, except using Rothman's pear liqueur instead of Merlet.  I found it much too sweet for my palate (which I kinda guessed given the build).  Tried again with 2 oz rum, still too sweet.  Adding .5 oz bourbon to the base recipe (in my case the high rye OGD 100) dried it out and was an improvement for me without changing the flavor profile too much.

• Reply to: Sooner or Later   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made a half quantity with Cocchi, Old Monk, Patron XO Cafe and Ango. Nice bittersweet dessert drink, orange twist is essential.

• Reply to: Banana Stand (Rob Roy)   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Best Scotch Tiki cocktail I've ever had. Incredible!