• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I curated this to conform to the Straub version for a couple of reasons: (1) It's the earliest and best of the three sources (2) A jigger is 1.5 oz, and even though the fraction conversion is wonky, it's a lot better as a 3 ounce chilled drink than a 5 ounce warm drink. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Great cocktail, though I definitely prefer the original (Jack's Manual, 1908) version with Sweet Vermouth.

• Reply to: Siren of the Tropics   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

3/5. Personally would not use a Jamaican rum, or would split Jamaican with a no hogo rum. To me, Jamaican rum sours all end up tasting mostly of citrus and the rum - tasty, but after getting out all these other ingredients, a bit disappointing.

• Reply to: Punky Monkey   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Just having one right now. Quiet similar of the kampaïneapple i've posted recently.  Very nice. I've tried to up a bit the lemon juice after a few sips but original ratios are better.

Used stagg jr,  havana selección maestros.

Will do again.

• Reply to: They Shall Inherit the Earth   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Farmer's Armagnac is quite similar, though the KC "similar cocktails" feature didn't pick it up.

• Reply to: Irish Cocktail   by   3 months 3 hours ago

Tried this one yesterday with macallan: Not my stuff. I even disliked it...

2 stars

• Reply to: Irish Cocktail   by   3 months 2 days ago

For an authentic cocktail, this one is not terrible, but...

• Reply to: B Cubed   by   3 months 3 days ago

I really like the flavor profile and richness of this.  For me, it was perhaps a touch sweet (this using high rye Old Grand-Dad Bonded Bourbon and Herbsaint Original 100 Proof), so I might dial the bourbon up to 1.25 oz on subsequent makings.  Using a barspoon of Herbsaint Original pushed the absinthe taste right up to the line where it was starting to become too dominant for me (and perhaps over it for some), so if using a higher proof anise spirit than the presumably specified 90 proof Herbsaint, consider a scant barspoon.

• Reply to: Boston 2009   by   3 months 4 days ago

I'd agree that dropping the lemon peel adds to the drink. Tasty.

• Reply to: Mezcal Margarita   by   3 months 5 days ago

A Punch article mentions a Monte-rita, which subs Montenegro for the Cointreau.

• Reply to: Boston Apothecary   by   3 months 5 days ago

A bit too sour - maybe ease up on the lemon a bit. Otherwise an interesting combination of rye and kirsch.

• Reply to: Solar Radio   by   3 months 6 days ago

Not bad, but not much to it. I added 1/2 oz. Dry curacao and 1/4 squeezed orange for a bit more body, also cherry bitters. Needs something more...

• Reply to: Kanji   by   3 months 6 days ago

I thought I would like this more than I did. Maybe a bit less lime?

• Reply to: Cuzco   by   3 months 1 week ago

Nice, but a bit sweet. A bit less simple syrup (1/2 oz.), plus a bit more lemon (3/4 0z.) and I actually upped the kirsch to 1/4 oz.

• Reply to: El Nacional   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Nice use of Ramazotti to compliment the chocolate. Works well with Fee Bros. Aztec Chocolate as the heat kicks it up a notch.

• Reply to: Hastings Sunrise   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Not bad with 1/2 simple syrup added - brings out the kirsch.

• Reply to: Paper in Fire   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I’ve been thinking about and working on iterations of this drink for months. It might be better with a 1/4 oz of mezcal instead of honey syrup? The smokey aspect of the mezcal seems to balance the bitter aspect of the Suze much better.

• Reply to: Dirt 'n Diesel   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Used Goslings black in place of of the blackstrap. Heavy on raw molasses flavor. Almost has a bit of a charred flavor to me (which i don't mind). Pretty good overall but not blowing me away

• Reply to: Say Goodnight Gracie   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to add rhubarb bitters which somehow got left off the ingredients list, and to add the reference link.

• Reply to: The Brotherhood   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Only a handful of cocktails I give 2 stars to, and I think it has something to do about Benedictine and lemon that just doesn't work for me. It's just a really weird taste with the sour first followed by strong herbal. Not pleasant, but maybe it's just me...

• Reply to: Industry Sour   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

OMG, soooo good. Very nice. Perfect match of chartreuse and fernet. Made exactly as specified. A tad sweet but do not affect the quality of the drink. 5 stars!

• Reply to: Mezzo-Americano   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Good. Maybe more Gin?

• Reply to: Greyfriar   by   4 months 18 hours ago

With "Big Peat"? I love this blended scotch from Islay.

• Reply to: Rhube Rye   by   4 months 5 days ago

Tried this one yesterday without the lavender garnish.

Quiet good and interesting.

Rye pairs well with lavender, both mix into something "New".

Will do again

• Reply to: The Undead Gentleman   by   4 months 1 week ago

Suave Zombie or sophisticated Jet Pilot? Delicious either way!