• Reply to: Bitter Highlander   by   2 months 1 week ago

Tried this with ginger syrup instead of honey, it was excellent.

• Reply to: Rye Tai   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated: Changed instructions to avoid copyright infringement; added credit per link.

• Reply to: Midnight Mass   by   2 months 1 week ago

<p>
    I looked at the recipe for "Midnight Mass", and my mouth watered, but I didn't want to go through the hassles of Svenryelsdorn and end up with a less than satisfactory cocktail.

I lacked two essential ingredients for the making of "Midnight Mass". First, I didn't have Scarlet Ibis Rum, so I dug deep into my 20+ bottles of different rums, and decided upon Matusalem Rum (10 year old Cuban-style rum). It turned out to be a delicious choice.

Second, I didn't have Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter Bitters. Now I had to be creative, because while I had nearly 30 bitters, but I didn't have the right one. I decided to use ONE DASH of Scrappy's Cardamom bitters and TWO DASHES of Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters. Once stirred so that it was reasonably cold, I poured it into a large and cold Old Fashion glass with a LARGE ice cube. I then topped it with a large orange twist (after I had expressed the oil on top of the libation). The outcome was a libation with a smooth rum taste, with mild cardamom and various fruit notes, including orange. All in all, a do-able alternative to the ingredients I lacked. I rated this cocktail variation at 4.0.

I hope others might experiment with Midnight Mass' recipe, and comment on their outcomes. This needs to be done when you have a recipe others have enjoyed, but the essential ingredients are hard to come by (or impossible to get), and are, therefore, lacking.

• Reply to: Pressure Drop   by   2 months 1 week ago

I'll try this next with Plymouth gin ...the Old Tom approached my limit of sweet for this style of cocktail.  It will also be a fun one to experiment with my amari collection. Over all, this one is a contemporary classic in my book.

• Reply to: Fig and Thistle   by   2 months 1 week ago

Gin and Cardamaro

• Reply to: Enrico Pallazzo   by   2 months 1 week ago

Minor curation - spelling of 'Pallazzo'.

• Reply to: Silvio's Algorithm   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Used St. George Dry Rye Reposado for fear that an Old Tom might be too sweet.  The result felt a little too astringent.  Would try Genever next time around.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I've seen comments about the sweetness level of the cocktail, and I can see how it can get a tad sweet for some tastes, but the key is to use an over proof rye like Rittenhouse 100 to help balance with a bit more alcohol.  Definitely dial back the benedictine and chartreuse to 1/4 or so if you are don't have an over proof rye on hand.

• Reply to: Bona Drag   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

The Bonal gets a bit lost for me beneath two powerfully flavored rum/rhums and the lemon, and I love Bonal. Perhaps a true amaro or a partial replacement with a pie spice amaro? Or perhaps Meletti and could forgo the chocolate bitters?

• Reply to: Paradise Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Light moderation: rephrased instructions to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Malcolm Lowry   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Messed up putting the cocktail in and now can't fix it.

3/4 oz of the rum, lime juice and triple sec

• Reply to: The Irons   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Interested

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Thanks for this, Stew.  Tweaked a little:  Used agave syrup and threw a little sliced ginger in the shaker. Reduced vermouth slightly.  And, HEAVENLY!

• Reply to: Lewis & Martin Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Haigh does shake this, though conventional wisdom would have it stirred.

• Reply to: Florodora   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

User njdesantis points to the recipe on liquor.com that suggests ginger syrup and soda.

• Reply to: Modernista   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Regan leaves out the Swedish Punsch.

• Reply to: Delmarva Cocktail #2   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Regan garnishes both #1 and #2 with mint.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Used the serious eats version with good results. Muddle 3 slices fresh ginger. 2 oz blended scotch, 3/4 50:50 honey syrup, 3/4 lemon. Shake, double strain, 1/4 Islay float. I’d like to make the original with sweetened ginger juice soon, but this version is easy to whip up if you have fresh ginger on hand.

• Reply to: Court of the Crimson King   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Tastes like kids' cough syrup.  Uninspired for all those ingredients.

• Reply to: Morning Glory   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

An alternative recipe is at Imbibe, as pointed out by user Blanco B.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with B&B instead of Benedictine (it’s all we had) and I think it mellowed it out a bit, not as sweet as others complained. Very herbaceous and sweet enough. It looked naked without some garnish so we added an orange peel twist, it complemented the herbaceousness!

• Reply to: Eastern Exposure   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Eastern Exposure is a pleasant drink, but as commented on by two others, it has a sweetness to it, from the Ramazzotti I suspect (and from the orange bitters, to a lesser degree), that some may not like. I used Jim Beam Black (a more pronounced taste than Four Roses, yet easy to imbibe), and still the sweetness. As is, I rate this cocktail at 3.5.

Nevertheless, I'm going to make this drink twice more, each a different way. First, I'll make Eastern Exposure using Four Roses' small batch bourbon, and also using lemon bitters instead of orange bitters. Second, I'll make Eastern Exposure using a good rye (Bulleit or Wild Turkey, for example) with orange bitters. I love a good rye drink, and it just may be that Eastern Exposure is a better drink when made with rye. Comparing the drink when made with different bitters vs. made with rye will--hopefully-- give some insight as to how to best make Eastern Exposure.

• Reply to: Tigrebyn   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made a very similar cocktail over the holidays with some leftover lingonberry jam. Used lemon juice rather than lime as think works better with the aquavit and lingonberry. Final version was 1 1/2 oz aquavit (Linie), 1/2 oz Cointreau, 3/4 oz lemon juice and 1 heaping tsp of the lingonberry jam.

• Reply to: Sangre de Shiva   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Yes; culinary turmeric in both the US and France is Curcuma longa and the French refer to it as "curcuma".

• Reply to: Sangre de Shiva   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Quick question - is curcuma better known in the US as turmeric? Or is it something else completely? Thanks,  Zachary