• Reply to: La Viña   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated to add attribution and reference, thanks!

• Reply to: La Viña   by   2 months 1 week ago

This can be found on page 206 of the Death & Co book, credited to Alex Day (2009).

• Reply to: Everybody Loves Hugo   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Used cherry heering and pushed the rye to 2 oz, as the initial drink was a little cloying for me (spicy tootsie roll). Tempted to push the rye to 2.5.

• Reply to: The Crusher   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Sure there is. Vodka 100 proof and allspice for 10 days in a clean jar. You can do it with a 5 to 1 proportion spirit to allspice in weight. Shake it once a day.

• Reply to: Mastika Sour   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Mastika is the liqueur made from the resin of the gum mastic tree, found near Chios, Greece. There's several brands available in the United States. It's sweet, so the sour and soda help cut it a bit, but the piney, resinous flavor makes a unique drink. I serve these at cocktail nights and always get requests for more.

• Reply to: Price of Rum   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Made without simple syrup. Delicious.

• Reply to: Millionaire (Embury)   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this to have the volumes match those given at the link, and to paraphrase the instructions in order to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I used about half of my (small) barspoon of (St. George) absinthe and the balance worked well.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Too much absinthe for my taste, but then I think Improved cocktails with absinthe are rarely improved. I'd use a rinse next time. Or maybe a spritz.

• Reply to: The Crusher   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Is there a recipe for the allspice tincture?

• Reply to: Elske Sour #2   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I'm super excited about replicating this but I think I'm missing a volume for syrup in the umeboshi syrup. I'm assuming that don't want six umeboshi into ¾oz of syrup but maybe I'm being unimaginative.

• Reply to: Library Card   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

The smoky-bitter-apricot fusion really works.

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Seen recipes for using black beer as well. Note Turkish shops sell carob syrup

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Great desert cocktail

• Reply to: 18th Century   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Surprised how balanced and easy drinking this was. Creamy, mildly spicy.

• Reply to: Bitter Maestro   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Not to snark, but two of the comments here made substitutions that aren't that similar. It's pretty good with the proper ingredients.

• Reply to: Easy Speak   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Boozy, bittersweet, delicious. A reminder that you don't need a dozen ingredients to make a great cocktail.

• Reply to: Revivalist   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Which bitters would you prefer as a garnish here? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Colleen Bawn   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Kind of seems crazy to me that with 2 oz. of liqueurs this would need the simple.

• Reply to: Call of the Wild   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Used what I had on hand--Old Overholt, Beefeater and Green Chartreuse--and enjoyed this. Tasting notes are accurate, nice wintry drink.

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I used Caffe Amaro, a couple dashes of black walnut and added a dash of Fee Bros Aztec Chocolate...a smoky, rich, cold weather sipper.

• Reply to: Black Walnut Old Fashioned   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Used several dashes of Fee Bros black walnut bitters in place of Nux Alpina. Quite good.

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Misty competed with this drink in June 2008 at the St. Germain Can-Can competition. 2009 would already find her at Drink which would be too late for the timeline (she opened Drink in late 2008). Also, these are the correct proportions and not the ones that Eric Felten made up. I asked Misty about that here: http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/10/maximilian-affair.html

• Reply to: (500) Days of Autumn   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Tried this with Rittenhouse and Laird's Apple Brandy. It's quite good.

• Reply to: Maximilian Affair   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Made it with the proportions listed. Smoky, tart, great balance.