• Reply to: Cuban Anole   by   1 month 2 days ago

Technically, Ben Sandrof was at Drink in Boston when he created this and it made the menu at PKNY as a guest item (Ben to the best of my knowledge never did a shift there). Also of note is that the Cuban Anole is a lizard with a bifurcated penis, and this was important for Ben to tell me when he served this drink at his Sunday Night Salon (he took over the back room at Trina's Starlite Lounge one night a week with his own menu and a separate entry around back for a year before they converted that section into Parlor Sports).

• Reply to: Milk Clarification of Cocktails   by   1 month 2 days ago

I hadn't seen the method of creating the strained curds and then pouring the cocktail through it - I typically add everything together and then pour through a filter twice after letting it sit. Is there an advantage to doing it this way?

• Reply to: 5th Amendment   by   1 month 3 days ago

I concur with the comment of too sweet - will reduce the falernum in the future. Tasting notes: mint, bubblegum, lemon. Looking forward to playing with this one.

• Reply to: Spiced Tamarind Buck   by   1 month 5 days ago

Curated this - cleaned up a lot of the notes, added the ginger beer to the instructions. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bitter Elder   by   1 month 6 days ago

Went with equal Campari and Elderflower (3/4 each) to 1 1/2 Sipsmith and 1/2 Lemon Juice so that the Bitter Elder has some bitterness.   Very nice drink!

• Reply to: Bamboo   by   1 month 1 week ago

This month's Imbibe has a few riffs; Greg Moreno's (Ward III, NYC) Rockin' Like Bamboo was quite nice: 1 oz dry vermouth, 3/4 oz bianco vermouth, 3/4 oz East India sherry, 1/2 oz Cynar, 1/4 oz Byrrh, orange twist.

• Reply to: The Ticket that Exploded   by   1 month 1 week ago

When Kingston and Oaxaca have an affair in northern Italy.

• Reply to: Sorel liqueur   by   1 month 1 week ago

Jackie writes movingly about his struggles bringing Sorel to market, and keeping it there, here. He intends to bring it back.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   1 month 1 week ago

Works (perhaps surprisingly) well with a full-flavoured gin. And you really get the Peychaud's pink coming through.

• Reply to: Bitter Highlander   by   1 month 1 week ago

A nice twist on the Trinidad Sour idea. Used Ardbeg as the Scotch and actually served it in a small Old Fashioned glass with an ice cube as it was a bit balmy out. Delicious. Would drink again.

• Reply to: Backward’s Point   by   1 month 1 week ago

Also attributed as such in Sam Ross' Bartender's Choice app.

• Reply to: Harder, better, stronger   by   1 month 1 week ago

Hi Lesliec, yes it's drops. I just wanted a bit more spices  without interfering too much with the flavor profile.

I do not like too much Angostura (1 or 2 dashes) when it's not the purpose of really tasting it.

For instance, one year ago i found i prefered an old fashionshed with 1 drop each ango, orange and peychaud bitters.

Maraschino cherry addition seems a very good idea. I love them!

• Reply to: Backward’s Point   by   1 month 1 week ago
  • Reply to: Harder, better, stronger   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Didn't quite come together for me until wifey suggested a maraschino cherry. Adds just a touch more depth. And should that be dashes for the Ango/cream citrate, not drops?

• Reply to: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

The brands are those indeed and specified in the blog link. I love R&W apricot because it doesn't taste fake (natural + aroma chemicals added) like some major brands can. And while this was Wray & Nephew, using Rum Fire, Rum-Ba, or similar would be perfect here too I'm sure. I didn't fine tune the citrus level since it felt fine to me -- Swedish punsch is half sweet, apricot is full sweet, and the spirit is overproof and rough, so my calculation was 1/2 oz lime.

• Reply to: Weeski   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I thought the whiskey too prominent, and the orange and herbal notes too subtle.  Now, I did use Cocchi in place of Lillet, but I don't think that was the issue. I might change the proportions a bit next time.

• Reply to: Oaxaca Old Fashioned   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

You definitely have to be a fan of mezcal and boozy drinks, but if you are, this drink is simple and sublime. The official recipe does indeed say Angostura but I'm sure Bittermens Mole would be great as well.  The flamed orange twist probably isn't necessary but it does make for a fun gimmick and adds a bit more smokiness.

• Reply to: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Had two out of work bartender friends over for some happy hour cocktails and we decided to give this a whirl.  Since the brands weren't specified here, I'll note that we tried this with Wray & Nephew and Rothman & Winter.  We all liked it, I thought it was sort of in "The Defend Arrack" vein.  Definitely balanced for the industry / cocktail nerd crowd, so I also tried it using .75 oz instead of .5 oz for the acid and modifiers, and we all thought that was an improvement--rounded off the rough edges of the rum's rubbery funk and petrol notes, with less of a boozy balance, and as one put it, "just made it more daiquiri-esque".

• Reply to: Golden Sour   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Maybe heavy hand with Angostura? :)

• Reply to: Golden Sour   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Why is the drink in the image so reddish? I would've expected a greenish drink based on the ingredients and volumes.

• Reply to: Jeez Louise   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I merged the Jeez Louis into this - they're the same drink. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Amlo Collins   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

I just made pineapple tepache and was looking for a cocktail that featured it. This was not it. Maybe the creator meant agave piña tepache, but then where the hell did you get those ingredients?

• Reply to: Cosmopolitan   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

Dale Degroff version: 1½ ounces citron vodka, ½ ounce Cointreau, ¼ ounce fresh lime juice, 1 ounce cranberry juice, Flamed orange peel, for garnish.

• Reply to: Aviation Cocktail   by   1 month 2 weeks ago

After experimentation, happy with 2oz Sipsmith, 1/2oz each of lemon juice and Luxardo Maraschino, and 1/4oz  Tempus Fugit Liqueur De Violettes.  Only downside to last ingredient is the pink rather than blue tint.

• Reply to: Ali-Frazier   by   1 month 2 weeks ago