• Reply to: Manhattan   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Tequila variant - Substitute 2oz reposado tequila for the whisky, and 2 dashes of Scrappy's Firewater Tincture for the bitters.

• Reply to: Bitter Feather   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I used Averna (for some reason the site thinks of that as an ingredient instead of a brand), but I would think any amaro with a similar balance of bitter and sweet would be good, including Cynar, Nonino, etc.

• Reply to: Bitter Feather   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

What style of amaro do you feel works best here? Fruity, honeyed, herbal? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Orchard Gimlet   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Very tasty & refreshing drink; Cocchi Americano added a nice hint of bitterness.  Also good with gin.

• Reply to: Dark Night of the Soul   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

It would be helpful to include a recipe for the five spice syrup in the Notes section.

• Reply to: Years Of Worry   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with OGD 100 and 10 drops of Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters, 50 revolution stir count.  Liked the flavor profile (reminded me a bit of a stirred boozy version of Bananas Foster), but thought it was a bit sweet for me as written.  Added an additional 10 drops of mole bitters, and per a previous suggestion, spritzed the inside and top of the glass with allspice dram, which I thought was a slight improvement to the drink.  Either way, a very tasty flavor profile.

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Agreed, my sense is the "Eastside" name is prior and more widely recognized.

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Merging is a good idea.

"Eastside" (one word) seems to be a more popular name and may predate that German gimlet. The "Eastside Cocktail" appears in Imbibe dated 2009 and "Eastside Gimlet" in Diffords, where it is claimed this was a 2004 long drink by George Delgado (Libation, NYC) before the up version was popularized by Christy Pope at Milk&Honey. Punch and others haveb obvious riffs on this (with gin and cucumber) called things like "There is no Eastside".

• Reply to: East Side Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

A user has pointed out that this drink is pretty similar to the Victorian Gentleman's Gimlet, which was created and posted long before this was. Unless people object, I'm going to merge this in a couple of days - each has about 20 users.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Outre-Mer   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made with Mount Gay Black Barrel and Dolin Rouge. The flavor improved after resting so might try a longer shake next time. I'll definitely try again with a different vermouth.

• Reply to: Banana Boulevardier   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Good, but very, very sweet. I would try rye and/or going perfect. Used 50/50 Dolin sweet and Punt e Mes with Tempus Fugit.

• Reply to: The Corsican   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This is really a great drink. To me, it's like the mirror image of a Martinez. Very three-dimensional.

• Reply to: Always Money   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

It is. I will update the recipe to reflect that. Thanks!

• Reply to: Bywater   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

I too did a lime-tartness thing, but I didn't want to add too much to it, so I used lime bitters and acid phosphate. Pretty good.

• Reply to: Always Money   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Is the thyme garnish? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: TBD (Thai Basil Daiquiri)   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Absolutely delicious! — ☆☆☆☆☆

• Reply to: Basil Gimlet   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Wonderful recipe but would like to up the basil a little. Will try 7 leaves next time. — ☆☆☆☆

• Reply to: Last Word   by   4 months 4 days ago

When it's all said and done, this is my number one.

• Reply to: Vieux Pentagone   by   4 months 4 days ago

I made this with Punt e Mes and my Amer Boudtreau (very bitter, high proof). Very good, but a bit too sweet. Suggest reducing Falernum and Amer to 1/4 oz. Maybe try rye.

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #6   by   4 months 5 days ago

I agree on increasing the Bärenjäger and decreasing the lemon. I wish the Becherovka stood out more.

• Reply to: Bitter Nail   by   4 months 5 days ago

Tried this with Bowmore Legend. Nice, but a bit sweet, even with an extra 1/2 of Scotch. I'd try 2 oz Scotch and 1/3 oz each of the rest. Not as elegant a ratio, but it would be nice in metric. :)

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   4 months 1 week ago

Used 1 oz Woodford,  3/4 lime juice, Averna and aperol:  Very good.  Never tried the original recipe

• Reply to: Corpse Reviver #6   by   4 months 1 week ago

I would decrease the lemon and increase the Bärenjäger

• Reply to: Avec   by   4 months 1 week ago

Made this with Kina L'Aero D'Or to try to get closer to old Lillet. I'm never quite sure about this much orange juice in sour-ish cocktails, and my trepidation was borne out here. Not altogether unpleasant, but I wouldn't make it again.

• Reply to: Three Dots and a Dash   by   4 months 1 week ago

Paul McGee must be a fan of this drink since he named his Chicago tiki bar after it. He altered the recipe by changing the OJ to curacao and shifting some proportions.