• Reply to: Floral Explosion   by   3 months 17 hours ago

Delicious, and I have no problem with the size (maybe I just have big glasses). But what struck me most is how much it looks, smells and tastes like Strega. This is by no means a bad thing.

• Reply to: C'est La Vie   by   3 months 1 day ago

There are other commercial fig bitters that likely have a different spice profile, but would probably still work:

• AZ Bitters Lab Figgy Pudding
    • Crude Sycophant (orange and fig)
    • Mister Bitters Fig and Cinnamon

Or you may DIY.

• Reply to: C'est La Vie   by   3 months 2 days ago

Is there a decent substitute for these bitters? I've seen these Fig bitters in a number of recipes, but they are persistently unavailable and the company seems like it may be defunct.

• Reply to: Mad Max   by   3 months 4 days ago

Maddenly delicious!

• Reply to: Adderley Cocktail   by   3 months 5 days ago

Very tasty. I may cut the lemon juice down to 1/2oz next time.

• Reply to: Kirkwood   by   3 months 1 week ago

Flavors are nice, but for my palate, this is too sweet as written. Next time I'll play with the proportions a bit, probably increasing the rye to 2 oz. and/or dialing down the St. Germain and Punt e Mes.

• Reply to: Polynesian Pearl Diver   by   3 months 1 week ago

Is it intentional that the mix listed in the ingredients has equal amounts of butter/honey/vanilla/allspice/cinnamon but the mix in the notes has very different proportions?

• Reply to: Aromatic Collins   by   3 months 1 week ago

Some light curating including clarifying the rich simple. I imagine that will make the layering even more foolproof. Thanks @noksagt.

• Reply to: The Colevardier   by   3 months 1 week ago

I made many times the Colevardier,  and will do again. Very nice mix.

I tried  tonight 1.5 oz mellow corn, 0.5 Suze, 0.5 Monténégro, 1 dash orange bitter. Strangely i think it tasted mostly Corn whisky. Like if Monténégro emphasized corn whisky taste and added Just a bit of Spice with slight bitterness from Suze.

More in a gentiane bittered old fashioned  way?

• Reply to: Aromatic Collins   by   3 months 1 week ago

Video calls for rich syrup (2:1).

• Reply to: Zapoteca   by   3 months 1 week ago

Since 3 oz into the mixing glass makes a nice sized drink, maybe re-scale to 1oz each? Would make the recipe more beautiful too. This sounds good to me. I'm trying it tonight with Amer Boudreau.

• Reply to: Las Meninas   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I had no spanish Brandy on hand, and tried with Cognac.

I confirm what Mahastew already specified: Does not work with Cognac.  Too sweet. You are warned...

• Reply to: Sleepy Hollow   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Fixed the link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Sleepy Hollow   by   3 months 2 weeks ago
  • Reply to: Italian Gentleman   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with 1oz bourbon and 0.5oz rye--a little heat helped keep it interesting.

• Reply to: American Trilogy   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Sasha Petraske founded both Milk & Honey and Little Branch.

The cocktail's co-creators are Richard Boccato and Michael McIlroy.  They both worked at both bars. But Little Branch probably deserves the nod. In Regarding Cocktails, Boccatto's quote about this drink:

Once in the midst of a sleepy shift at Little Branch, I asked Mickey whether or not a cocktail could be built in the glass and devised with ingredients that were slightly different from those that we used to make our house Old Fashioned.

This is a modern classic & I'd think Bocatto & McIlroy's original version (rather than the minor alterations made in PDX) should be found somewhere here.

• Reply to: Bernard Black   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I’d recommend Amaro Averna

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Excellent. I used Green Chartreuse and the other ingredients exactly as specified. Delightful balance. For a less sweet drink, I'd split the Punt e Mes 50/50 with dry vermouth.

• Reply to: American Trilogy   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Lightly curated. Note that the original (at link) specifies making a maple syrup syrup, and stirring and straining over rocks.

While the Imbibe link traces provenance to Little Branch, there are also references out there to a similar but not identical cocktail put together at Milk & Honey that went by the same name.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to add creator and source. Thanks for your detective work @noksagt

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Cocchi's equivalent would be Dopo Teatro Vermouth Amaro. It seems to work with that, though it is still a bit sweet for my personal taste. I might propose switching to a green Chartreuse rinse.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Per an Aug 30, 2014 Redbook: Dave Kwiatkowski, The Sugar House, Detroit.

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I confirm, does not work with Cocchi Torino.

Or maybe also because of izarra green i've used instead of Chartreuse.

• Reply to: Enzoni   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Strong Campari aftertaste rounded and tamed by grape. Very pleasant but i really think it lacks something in.

Will make again.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Used Suze, Mulassano dry vermouth. Very good. Mild. Nice low proof cocktail.  I really think it tastes what a high quality bianco vermouth should taste.