• Reply to: South Slope   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated to add missing lemon, garnish and instructions; improved attribution.

• Reply to: Cynartown   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated; added cherry garnish per D&C book.

• Reply to: Piña Verde   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this slightly - removed copyrighted material. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Hurricane Franklin   by   4 months 1 week ago

I used Angostura 1919. The vanilla notes pair very well with the bitter cherry of the Amargo Vallet and the spice of the Falernum. This is really tasty.

• Reply to: The Amargo Vallet Sour   by   4 months 1 week ago

Gave it a dry shake and served it up. Very tasty. I like how the woodsy bitter cherry flavor of the Amargo Vallet works with the lemon juice.

• Reply to: The Drunken Dodo   by   4 months 1 week ago

I don't have Scarlet Ibis, so I tried making this with a bottle of Zaya that I am regretting having bought (the only Trinidad rum I have.) The overwhelming vanilla flavor made this drink cloying. So if you have a recent vintage bottle of Zaya, I wouldn't try it in this drink. In fact, I'm not sure what I'd try it in.

• Reply to: Yellow Raj   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just a little too tart IMO.  Upping the chartreuse by a smidge might help, or reducing the lime juice to .75 oz.  It's a decent drink as it stands, with tequila and chartreuse once again working great together, but a bit too sour.

• Reply to: Carolynn Reminder   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

An extremely well balanced and tasty cocktail. Wouldn't change a thing.

We used a local ginger liqueur that I would say is miles better than Canton, but this made it have a strong spicy afternote which everyone who had enjoyed.

• Reply to: La Merced   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Based on the comments about sweetness, I made this with Campo de Encanto, Punt e Mes, and Montenegro (I find Nonino much sweeter than Montenegro, personally) as 1:1:1.  The result was not at all overly sweet to me, and Negroni-level bitter. (Which I consider a good thing.)

• Reply to: The Study   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just made this as I was given some Calisaya. I made three modifications, the first two out of necessity and the third of desire. 1st - I did not have Fernet on hand so I doubled the vermouth (Dolin). 2nd - Also did not have Bitterman's Burlesque so I used CRUDE "Lindsay" (Pecan, Magnolia, Habanero). I tasted the drink at this point and found it pretty good. 3rd - I added a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. The whole drink came together and is now rather good. I will make this again, and try to have the correct ingredients on hand...and a lemon just in case :)

• Reply to: La Goulue   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Not a lot of cocktails where Suze is just kinda happily hanging out in the background. Well done.

• Reply to: Pure Joy   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I used Hendricks.  I cut back the St. Germain to 1/2 shot.  Added a 1/2 shot of Girard Passion fruit liquor and cut back the lime to 1/2 oz. I thought it was well balanced and refreshing with those proportions. Could call the modified version Pure Passion.

• Reply to: The Only Word   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - removed History, which seems like it was copied verbatim from the book. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Westie   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Any suggestions for a substitution for these bitters since they seem to be (?currently) unavailable?

• Reply to: Port of Havana   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Curated - a dash of grapefruit bitters, not an ounce!

• Reply to: Harvest Moon   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

I had forgotten about this one.  Great with fantastic finish!

• Reply to: Dead to Rights   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

An agave Brooklyn.

• Reply to: Painkiller   by   5 months 21 hours ago

This is obviously before the invention of shaking a cocktail.  Yikes.

• Reply to: Gin Rickey   by   5 months 2 days ago

I think few days are hot enough that I prefer my Gin Rickey "bone dry" as per this recipe. If it's the hottest day of the year, make this recipe.

Every other day of the year, I prefer the Death & Co recipe: 2 oz Gin (Beefeater); 1oz Lime Juice; 1/2 oz Simple Syrup; Club Soda (to taste).

• Reply to: The Ninth Ward   by   5 months 2 days ago
  • Reply to: Chingon   by   5 months 6 days ago

Used yellow chartreuse instead of Benedictine and it worked very well. Made a second using 1/4 oz of oj and using 1/4 oz of raspberry syrup and it was very floral and still extremely good.

Lastly, we used lavendar bitters with a spritz of orange blossom water.  Very very good cocktail.

• Reply to: Midnight Prayer   by   5 months 6 days ago

The "Midnight Prayer" is a pleasant drink, with subtle flavors that come out as the drink lingers--for example, as you're playing cribbage. I rate this drink at 4.0. Try it and let's see where the rating goes.

• Reply to: Happy 'Rack   by   5 months 1 week ago

Changed second ingredient from Laird's bonded apple brandy to Laird's applejack, per reference.

• Reply to: Loesser of Two Evils   by   5 months 1 week ago

I started to make this and then couldn't find the bottle of Strega I was sure I had. Substituting yellow Chartreuse, I thought it was a nice drink, if a touch sweet. The sweet aroma of pineaple doesn't need much sugar to carry it. I think Strega is pretty similar to Yellow Chartresue. Maybe 1/2 oz lime? Or 3/4 Suze and 1/2 Strega?

• Reply to: Churchill’s Breakfast   by   5 months 1 week ago

Up bitters and reduce syrup; it overpowers the drink.  Good but not quite perfect -- a solid base to tinker from.