• Reply to: American Praline   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Pretty good. Next time (there will be one) I might try Campari in place of Aperol to take the sweetness down a smidgin.

• Reply to: The Bicycle Thief   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Only rum on hand was Lemon Hart - made for a tasty concoction.

• Reply to: The Winchester   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Joining the chorus of voices loving this drink.  I made it with Ransom Old Tom, Broker's, and Hendricks.  Very lovely indeed.

• Reply to: Hurricane Franklin   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

What a crazy world.

I think the possible trademark infringement makes the cocktail taste better.
    Will change the name from "Hurricane I 2017" to something else.

• Reply to: Professional   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

The creator of this drink piped up in a Reddit thread in /r/cocktails a few months ago and clarified the recipe. He called out Smith and Cross rum, OGD 114 (said Elijah Craig 114 and Weller 107 were also good) and said he served it over a large rock with a grapefruit twist.

• Reply to: Don Lockwood   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

I've seen this posted elsewhere (http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/fathers-day-drinking-don-lockwood-co...) with 2 dashes Ango and 2 dashes chocolate bitters, which definitely helps tames the sweetness for a more balanced and complex drink.  If using the 2 dashes Ango, I like 2 dashes of Scrappy's Chocolate bitters (less bitter and spicy than the Bittermen's), or just using 2 dashes of the Bittermen's.

• Reply to: Kal Katz   by   3 months 1 day ago

Good, easy to make drink, that is a good opportunity to showcase pineapple flavor.  Use fresh for best results.

• Reply to: Mabouya   by   3 months 2 days ago

If you really like the flavor of blanc agricole, then this is a nicely balanced drink, with the agricole front and center, and the other flavors accenting. If, like me, the smell of blanc agricole makes you gag and you need to tame it with some other strong players, this is not the drink you are looking for.

• Reply to: African Flower   by   3 months 3 days ago

Not bad, but the bourbon (Maker's 46) dominated. Maybe forget the fiddly 3/8 measures and go to a full 1/4 for both next time.

• Reply to: Triborough   by   3 months 3 days ago

Minor curation; changed 'PTD' to 'PDT' in the reference.

• Reply to: Texting and Scones   by   3 months 3 days ago

Used Mt. Gay Black Barrel as I don't have Smith & Cross. I added one ds of El Guapo Chicory Pecan bitters to good effect. Perhaps would not be useful/good addition with Smith & Cross, but with Mt. Gay it added some interesting deeper notes.

• Reply to: Nasturtium   by   3 months 5 days ago

Too sweet for my taste. Not sure Dolin Blanc is the best substitute here - the Bonal gets lost in sweet ginger flavors. I added some Dandelion & Burdock bitters in order to add a bit more depth and punch. I would try again with Dry Vermouth or perhaps combination wtih Cocchi.

• Reply to: Years Of Worry   by   3 months 6 days ago

Quite good - I tried adding a dash of allspice dram to it as well, which was an interesting variation - not necessarily better.

• Reply to: Carpool   by   3 months 6 days ago

I missed on first reading that this calls for Laird's 7.5 year - I used regular Laird's bonded and it was very, very dry.

• Reply to: Jungle Stirred   by   3 months 6 days ago

Made with Smith & Cross and Stiggins'. Nice flavors. On the sweet side, even for a stirred drink.

• Reply to: Copper Swan   by   3 months 6 days ago

I don't have Regan's Joy of Mixology to check, but other sites list this as using 2.5 oz scotch for that much apricot liqueur.

• Reply to: Brown Bomber   by   3 months 1 week ago

Made this with Jim Beam Ghost, which was too harsh at 2 oz. I ended up using 1.5 oz Ghost, 1 oz Dolin Blanc, 0.75 oz Suze,, 0.25 oz Cocchi Americano, 0.25 oz Lillet Blanc, give or take.

• Reply to: The Book Deal   by   3 months 1 week ago

I've been looking for ways to ease into Fernet Branca and this is great. I'm all about Campari and Cynar and this all goes together wonderfully with the Fernet Branca coming in on the back end.

• Reply to: Midnight Mass   by   3 months 1 week ago

Made with Mount Gay Eclipse, as I don't have Scarlet Ibis. Harsh at first. Added another 1/4 oz Benedictine, then a dash of chicory-pecan bitters to add some depth, then two dashes of orange bitters.

• Reply to: Estocada   by   3 months 1 week ago

Exceptional.

• Reply to: American Praline   by   3 months 1 week ago

Surprisingly, all those accent flavors still let the rye show through. Good balance though it may be a bit sweeter than some would prefer.

• Reply to: Baby Grand   by   3 months 1 week ago

[edit of a duplicate comment]

• Reply to: Baby Grand   by   3 months 1 week ago

Not bad, but a little blah with honey syrup. Maybe cinnamon syrup or Donn's #2?

• Reply to: Jasper   by   3 months 1 week ago

One thing I'd recommend doing: a dash of Peychaud's. One variation I'd recommend: swap the Canton for aquavit or kümmel.

• Reply to: Bell Weather   by   3 months 1 week ago

This is a solid recipe.  I made using Strongwater's shrub & would likely cut back to 0.5 oz next time.