• Reply to: Williams Fizz   by   3 months 1 week ago

Festive, elegant, fizzy. Makes me think of a wedding or a snowy day. Likely never would've found it, except my wife was making creme brulee, leaving me with a dozen egg whites. Excellent.

• Reply to: 5 Spot   by   3 months 1 week ago

A little help on the basil please. Is it muddled? Just thrown in and shaken with ice? Just garnish?

• Reply to: Réveillon Cocktail   by   3 months 1 week ago

Based on previous comments, went with 1.5 oz Laird's bonded, 1/2 vermouth and 1/4 allspice dram. Spicy, fruity, boozy. Tempted to try splitting the calvados/laird's with rye for a less fruity drink, but this is definitely festive. Don't overlook the cracked ice and 30 second stirring, as it benefits from dilution.

• Reply to: Christmas Bonus   by   3 months 1 week ago

Boozy, spicy, punch-like. Allspice adds nuance without taking over. Adding this one to my Christmas cocktail list.

• Reply to: Winter Digestive   by   3 months 1 week ago

Found this looking for Christmas / winter cocktails, and it's spicy and bracing with that strong fernet menthol taste. Used Carpano for the vermouth. Tempted to make it again with Angostura Amaro instead of bitters and up the dosage.

• Reply to: Esprit du Mezcalier   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Is this really calling for 3/4 oz of both lime and grapefruit juice? The other reference I've found this online has only the grapefruit which seems more in like with the Espirit d'Escalier.

• Reply to: Christmas in Kentucky   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Crisp, refreshing, reminds me a little of a Paper Plane. Pushed the bourbon to 1.5. Tempted to add some allspice dram or festive bitters if this is supposed to really be Christmasy.

• Reply to: Airbag   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

I remember making this years ago (maybe a decade?). This is a Phil Ward creation.  Sweet vermouth is Carpano Antica, Allspice Dram is St. Elizabeth and bitters (I've seen builds with 2 dashes) are Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters.  Garnish is a lit Laphroaig Cask Strength soaked cherry.

• Reply to: El Nacional   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

@

I randomly ran across this comment tonight and am so touched! I made this drink up years ago, but it's still one of my favorites. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! Try supplementing the ramazotti with Luxardo Amaro Abano, it changes the drink in crazy ways, for the better, I think. Cheers!

• Reply to: La Viña   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Curated to add attribution and reference, thanks!

• Reply to: La Viña   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This can be found on page 206 of the Death & Co book, credited to Alex Day (2009).

• Reply to: Everybody Loves Hugo   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Used cherry heering and pushed the rye to 2 oz, as the initial drink was a little cloying for me (spicy tootsie roll). Tempted to push the rye to 2.5.

• Reply to: The Crusher   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Sure there is. Vodka 100 proof and allspice for 10 days in a clean jar. You can do it with a 5 to 1 proportion spirit to allspice in weight. Shake it once a day.

• Reply to: Mastika Sour   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Mastika is the liqueur made from the resin of the gum mastic tree, found near Chios, Greece. There's several brands available in the United States. It's sweet, so the sour and soda help cut it a bit, but the piney, resinous flavor makes a unique drink. I serve these at cocktail nights and always get requests for more.

• Reply to: Price of Rum   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Made without simple syrup. Delicious.

• Reply to: Millionaire (Embury)   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this to have the volumes match those given at the link, and to paraphrase the instructions in order to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I used about half of my (small) barspoon of (St. George) absinthe and the balance worked well.

• Reply to: Adelphi Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Too much absinthe for my taste, but then I think Improved cocktails with absinthe are rarely improved. I'd use a rinse next time. Or maybe a spritz.

• Reply to: The Crusher   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Is there a recipe for the allspice tincture?

• Reply to: Elske Sour #2   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I'm super excited about replicating this but I think I'm missing a volume for syrup in the umeboshi syrup. I'm assuming that don't want six umeboshi into ¾oz of syrup but maybe I'm being unimaginative.

• Reply to: Library Card   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The smoky-bitter-apricot fusion really works.

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Seen recipes for using black beer as well. Note Turkish shops sell carob syrup

• Reply to: Algarrobina   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Great desert cocktail

• Reply to: 18th Century   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Surprised how balanced and easy drinking this was. Creamy, mildly spicy.

• Reply to: Bitter Maestro   by   4 months 23 hours ago

Not to snark, but two of the comments here made substitutions that aren't that similar. It's pretty good with the proper ingredients.