• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just doubling the amounts as written leads to a drink that's 2 ounces of 80 proof spirit (and more if you're using bonded brandy) that's balanced by 2 teaspoons of sweet vermouth. That just seems unpleasant, which is why it's a 1.5 ounce shot as written. Swapping them makes a drink that's equal parts gin + brandy and sweet vermouth with a good amount of bitters. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I don't follow. Why would you swap gin and vermouth here? That changes the flavor profile.

If you use 1.5 oz gin and 0.75 oz of everything else, you'll get the same flavor in a drink that comes in at 5.4 oz (after dilution).

Using 1 oz gin and 0.5 oz everything else comes in at 3.6 oz (within the request, but small for a modern drink).

Either seem "easy enough".

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I think Mr. Pearson's switch allows the drink to be enjoyed as a sipped cocktail better, notwithstanding it subdues it and changes it. If the original brisk "knock-back" is desired on a standard scale (for the sake of experiencing  history, perhaps), 1 oz Gin, 1/2 oz of each of the rest might work, though I've had barkeeper friends suggest tampering with the ratio, adding a dash of lemon or syrup, etc., which might speak more to their personal tastes (i.e., toward more punch-like "balance," or else challenging the palate, etc.). One even wanted to frame it as a Negroni riff, brandy and bitters replacing Campari.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the suggestion. It seems to work well.

• Reply to: Fox Shot   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

So I know we usually don't do drinks with odd measurements like parts and jiggers, but turning 2/5 of a 1 1/2 oz drink into ounces gets silly real quick - 3/5 and 3/10 of an ounce is hard to measure. The OP asked how I'd scale it up to a 3-4 ounce drink, and my best guess would be to swap the vermouth and gin amounts, so: 1.25 vermouth, and a fat 1/2 oz of gin, brandy and Angostura. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Dead Last   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Use 1/2 Campari and 1/2 Aperol for the Aperitivo. Very good. I would reduce the lime to 1/2 and omit the simple.

• Reply to: Tijuana Lady   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Okay, but Muisca Sour is a better version.

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

It is printed in the book as ".5 oz" and this is how I prepared it. I also wondered whether this was a misprint, but don't know how we'd check.

• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I was familiar with the Straub recipe, but I believe that found in the Old Waldorf Bar Days (published long after the bar manual was written) to represent the earlier form, that is, a stirred, room temperature drink. It has been quite successful at parties.

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

^Was that last measure supposed to be 1.5?

• Reply to: Pendergast   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I'm Just Here for the Drinks includes the Pendergast #2, also from Maybee, which reduces the whiskey and uses orange bitters:

• 3-4 dashes orange bitters
    • 0.5 oz Bénédictine
    • 0.75 oz sweet vermouth
    • 0.5 oz J Rieger's Kansas City Whiskey (which has a small amount of sherry added in the finished product)

Fantastic variation.

• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Sound curation, though I'll side with the later recipes as far as stirring rather than shaking this.

(And call me crazy, but I might prefer the room-temp version.)

• Reply to: Kal Katz   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Used pineapple molosses, homemade mint liquor and a softer maraschino than luxardo.

That was good but seemed to lack something. I will do again with proper ingredients

• Reply to: The SAGE Blossom   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Tried this combining izarra green and elixir chartreuse instead of sage liquor. And used belvoir ginger cordial. Good overall. Campari is mild. Strong spicy ginger and herbal liqueur worked perfectly.

I tried to up campari and herbal liqueur by 1/4 each but the balance vanished.

• Reply to: Precision Timepiece   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Aperol and anise from jager combined well. Pimento bitters is essential, and add a little something allowing to tame the sweetness. I tried to add after a few sips 1/3 oz wray and nephew overproof: Not concluding! It tamed sweetness but taste too!

What about using amaro abano from luxardo which is dryer than montenegro ?

Do not have it...

• Reply to: Creole Lady   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I curated this to conform to the Straub version for a couple of reasons: (1) It's the earliest and best of the three sources (2) A jigger is 1.5 oz, and even though the fraction conversion is wonky, it's a lot better as a 3 ounce chilled drink than a 5 ounce warm drink. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Brooklyn Cocktail   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Great cocktail, though I definitely prefer the original (Jack's Manual, 1908) version with Sweet Vermouth.

• Reply to: Siren of the Tropics   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

3/5. Personally would not use a Jamaican rum, or would split Jamaican with a no hogo rum. To me, Jamaican rum sours all end up tasting mostly of citrus and the rum - tasty, but after getting out all these other ingredients, a bit disappointing.

• Reply to: Punky Monkey   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just having one right now. Quiet similar of the kampaïneapple i've posted recently.  Very nice. I've tried to up a bit the lemon juice after a few sips but original ratios are better.

Used stagg jr,  havana selección maestros.

Will do again.

• Reply to: They Shall Inherit the Earth   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Farmer's Armagnac is quite similar, though the KC "similar cocktails" feature didn't pick it up.

• Reply to: Irish Cocktail   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Tried this one yesterday with macallan: Not my stuff. I even disliked it...

2 stars

• Reply to: Irish Cocktail   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

For an authentic cocktail, this one is not terrible, but...

• Reply to: B Cubed   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I really like the flavor profile and richness of this.  For me, it was perhaps a touch sweet (this using high rye Old Grand-Dad Bonded Bourbon and Herbsaint Original 100 Proof), so I might dial the bourbon up to 1.25 oz on subsequent makings.  Using a barspoon of Herbsaint Original pushed the absinthe taste right up to the line where it was starting to become too dominant for me (and perhaps over it for some), so if using a higher proof anise spirit than the presumably specified 90 proof Herbsaint, consider a scant barspoon.

• Reply to: Boston 2009   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I'd agree that dropping the lemon peel adds to the drink. Tasty.

• Reply to: Mezcal Margarita   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

A Punch article mentions a Monte-rita, which subs Montenegro for the Cointreau.