• Reply to: Sun Stealer   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Tried this with rye subbed for the gin (because when I taste a gin drink I like, my first thought usually is "I bet this would be better with whiskey"). Also very good.

• Reply to: bargellino   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I agree with the previous suggestion to use Nonino rather than Montenegro. There's very little in it - it's a great drink either way - but with Nonino it feels just slightly more balanced.

• Reply to: Bebida de Puebla   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Didn't have the Ristretto, which I understand has a strong flavor, but still very good made with what I had (Tia Maria).

• Reply to: Singapore Sling   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I enjoy the PDT recipe.  Nearly the same, but lime juice down to 0.25 oz and add 0.5 oz grenadine.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Brilliant. Benefits from a little extra Gran Classico.

• Reply to: Mediterranean Evening in Fall   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Serve as a digestif with a dessert with mint and nuts, pistachios, or walnuts.  Orange is obviously great in the dessert.  You could substitute an amaretto for the Nocino.  I havent done it, though I believe that it would work.  I used St. George Terroir as the gin, and Amara Amaro for the amaro.

• Reply to: Sibillamenta   by   4 months 1 day ago
  • Reply to: Sibillamenta   by   4 months 2 days ago

Quick question - is Vittone Menta a brand of mint flavored fernet? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Emperor Norton   by   4 months 4 days ago

Absinthe over rum

• Reply to: Streets of Gettysburg   by   4 months 4 days ago

This is absolutely awesome!

• Reply to: Casino Green   by   4 months 5 days ago

Very nice. I subbed in Boomsma Claerkampster Cloosterbitter for the Chartreuse, but the final result was nice, herbal, and sweet. Five stars.

• Reply to: Coffee & Cigarettes   by   4 months 1 week ago

Oh, wow. This is the cocktail that the name deserves. Used Vida and Laphroaig 10, everything else exactly to spec. The Cynar almost completely disappears in a way that I'm not sure I've ever experienced – it always makes itself known. It's clearly contributing in the background here, though, helping bridge the bold ingredients. Will add mole bitters next time, but it's fantastic as-is.

• Reply to: Jaded Gin Daiquiri   by   4 months 1 week ago

Extremely good! I've been looking for a great recipe with a heavy amount of Fernet Branca. Never been so happy to be wrong, because I thought it'd be terrible. If I were to make it for anyone who isn't a cocktail fanatic I would only put a splash of Fernet Branca.

• Reply to: Second Squadron   by   4 months 1 week ago

Awesome. Very sweet but I like it that way. I used a low-quality Elderflower liquor rather than St. Germain, and I think that really takes away from the drink.

• Reply to: Second Squadron   by   4 months 1 week ago

• Reply to: Monk's Revenge   by   4 months 1 week ago

I agree with Dan. This cocktail is very very sweet. But I disagree with the opinion, and I think it is delightful! If you like a sweet pow, like I do, then enjoy.

• Reply to: The Long Journey   by   4 months 1 week ago

A highly recommended short trip for "The Long Journey." For Cynar lovers, this drink is a disappointment. Ditto for Bonal lovers. Likewise for lovers of a good cocktail. Its taste is light, and there's no "body." The Sherry overwhelms the Cynar, and the Bonal. Were I to try and rescue "The Long Journey," my first step would be to reduce the amount of Sherry to 1 oz. I would also either trade in the celery bitter for another, or add another--probably the latter.

I rate this drink at 2.5, and call it a work in progress.

• Reply to: Ash Tray Heart   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I played up the grapefruit by adding a drizzle of pink grapefruit oleo saccharum. Nice.

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

As a curator here, I'd like to share my thoughts about this drink and why I really was on the fence about approving it. There are multiple issues here. First, it is meant to mimic a kid's juice box (Hi-C's Ecto Cooler). Second, it's about as basic of a drink as you can really get. It's a slightly modified Lemon Drop with better vodka - the other drinks at the link don't inspire a lot of confidence. On the plus side, the drink comes from a professional bartender (her name is Jenny, not Jerry though) and it uses what is really a very good quality spirit, though it's one that usually throws up a red flag for me. On the negative side, it's pretty basic, it's a very slightly modified version of a 'dark ages' classic, it violates a couple of points of the Style Guidelines and it's designed to appeal to the sensibilities of someone who never figured out that an adult cocktail shouldn't taste like an 8 year old's after school drink.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I have to agree with Rafa. See nothing wrong here. A well made vodka paired with fresh juice, simple and a bit of kiwi. What's not to love?

• Reply to: Heart of Darkness   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

A great cocktail and favorite with my guests. I use Bacardi 8 Ãnos Rum.

• Reply to: Spanish Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Truly fantastic cocktail. The quality of the Amontillado is not lost. You will taste the difference. I used El Maestro Sierra Amontillado 12 años but also Bodegas Rey Fernando de Castilla. Still great :-)

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This seems like a perfectly respectable drink, especially if you cut the simple a bit. I don't know any cocktail bartenders who would dismiss this out of hand.

• Reply to: Using A Tragedy To Advance Your Own Narrow Moral Crusade   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This might be the last place I thought I'd see a Suicide File reference. I need some Pineapple Gum Syrup.

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

We hesitate to publish a recipe like this. It features flavored vodka (strike one), simple fruit flavors (strike two), and a sweet (but not super-sweet) balance (foul ball). But St George published this for their vodka and we respect St George. Plus we haven't made it so we don't know really what it's like.