• Reply to: None More Black   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Really good. Garnished with lemon peel, the oils are a great match a la a traditional espresso serve. Also feel like this would be great as a flip.

• Reply to: Red Red Rhubarb Shrub Cocktail   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this slightly - changed a "splash" of tonic to an ounce - it's just a lot easier to recreate that way. Also... is this your drink? If so, it should be listed as an original creation instead of unknown.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Years Of Worry   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I tried this with Buffalo Trace, homemade banana liqueur,and Cardamaro for the aromatized wine.  I didn't have mole bitters so I used root beer bitters.  And then I made a couple more.

• Reply to: Precision Timepiece   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Zachary - it is sweet, but I don't find it overwhelmingly or cloyingly so. The 'spicy-ness' and bitter elements seem well-balanced with the sweet from the Jager and the orangey notes from the Aperol. One note, though - I didn't have the bitters, so I subbed a small amount of SE Allspice dram and one ds of Bitter Truth Creole Bitters. I posted as I'm curious to explore interesting cocktail uses for Jagermeister.

• Reply to: Los Galgos Panky   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Obviously on the sweet side, but it makes a good digestif.

• Reply to: Precision Timepiece   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

So how sweet does this end up? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Jack Rose   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Use up that Applejack!!

• Reply to: Pantry Raid   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Sven: yes, the Rothman & Winter is significantly sweeter and more of a true liqueur, whereas the Edmund Briotett is actually a creme de peche, so, although sweet, it is more of a clean, fresh peach flavor. Additionally, the glycerin base of the Fee Brothers bitters is going to give that candy component that the Dashfire bitters definitely do not have.

• Reply to: Pantry Raid   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

It's rare I substitute everything in a drink, but made with Pierre Ferrand 1840, Kina L'Aero D'Or, BG Reynolds Falernum, R&W Peach, and Fee Bros. Lemon.  Did not work very well with these substitutes. Would cut back peach to 1/4 oz when using R&W, for starters.

• Reply to: Lee-Stumper   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

Zachary: I used the old egg-white technique (a "gel technique" that works because the acids of the juices cause the whites to curdle and glom onto solid particles to filter out)--that process also gets similar results with agar as well if you want to keep it vegan. If you don't have the money for a centrifuge you could just gravity-clarify (let the juice filter out naturally over a few days or so, though risking oxidation). And you can totally blend the juices to make it easier.

• Reply to: Lee-Stumper   by   4 months 9 hours ago

How would you go about clarifying the juices? I've used gelatin to clarify stock before, but I've heard good things about agar. Could you mix the juices evenly then clarify the whole thing so you don't have multiple processes going at once? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Duplex (Punt e Mes and Lillet)   by   4 months 19 hours ago

refreshing and tasty like a Picon punch -- I'll probably fiddle with ingredients. I topped it with a short blast of soda water for texture, and a little astringency.

• Reply to: Tipperary Cocktail (Dead Rabbit)   by   4 months 2 days ago

The drink was decent, I'll make it again. Next time, I will omit the simple syrup though.

• Reply to: Creole Cocktail   by   4 months 3 days ago

👍🏻

• Reply to: Don't Give Up the Ship   by   4 months 5 days ago

Fernet was a bit much at first and overpowered the orange but it improved as it warmed up so a longer time stirring might help as well.

ETA, I used Botanist gin which might not have the necessary heft. Also, source blog was very entertaining and full of scientific method cocktail nerding out.

• Reply to: North by Northwest (Sweet Afton)   by   4 months 6 days ago

Lightly curated: fresh-squeezed juices are presumed at KC.

• Reply to: The Last Aviator   by   4 months 1 week ago

Surprised by this as Creme de Violette usually takes over. I cheated it down a notch but the violette didn't overpower. I might try it with Hendricks next time to see what adding another floral note does.

• Reply to: Gin and It   by   4 months 1 week ago

Gaz Regan calls the same drink but proportioned more like a Manhattan (3:1:5 dashes) an East Ender.

• Reply to: The Ninth Ward   by   4 months 1 week ago

Thanks Craig! I don't have homemade, so I will try it with syrup per the article you linked - Cheers.

• Reply to: Rock Easy   by   4 months 1 week ago

This seems like it might be pretty sweet - the Rock&Rye is 65 proof and it's then got close to a half ounce of liqueurs in it. Is it as sweet as it looks? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Bitter Temptation   by   4 months 1 week ago

I do agree, but all the ingredients works very well together.
    Did you try the complete recipe ?

• Reply to: Casino   by   4 months 1 week ago

Thanks for the comments; I've curated the recipe to reflect the Savoy formulation.

• Reply to: Casino   by   4 months 1 week ago

Craddock's formulation (which uses 2 oz of Old Tom gin, only 2 dashes of the remaining ingredients, and garnishes with a cherry) is delightful. My score is based on that formulation, rather than the version posted here.

• Reply to: Bitter Temptation   by   4 months 1 week ago

This drink is pretty big and seems a touch over-the-top complex. I simplified the concept and tried:
    1 1/2 oz rye, 1/2 oz each Smith & Cross, Punt e Mes, and Amer Boudreau. I liked it a lot.

• Reply to: Bitter Temptation   by   4 months 1 week ago