• Reply to: Gilroy   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Very tasty and unique!  Would make again.

• Reply to: Tobacco Road #2   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

Made with Kahlua and dash of walnut liqueur rather than bitters and some extra bitters and very interesting - not sure it's one for every day!

• Reply to: Pressure Drop   by   2 months 4 weeks ago

A bittersweet amaro like Nonino or Montenegro makes this less sweet and bit more balanced.

• Reply to: 100-Year-Old Cigar   by   3 months 5 days ago

I had this as a four-star cocktail for a long time and today I realized I probably make it once a month and tell other cocktail nerds about it. Yeah, that's a five-star cocktail.

• Reply to: Thank Me Later   by   3 months 5 days ago

I had Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, so I upped the bitters each by a dash. Used the Barrel Aged bitters, which worked well.

• Reply to: Afternoon Siesta   by   3 months 6 days ago

Quite a boozy delight.  I really enjoyed this despite the fact that I had the wrong beer on hand (a carmelly lager instead of a crisp dry IPA).  Will try again with the correct beer.

• Reply to: edgar allan poe   by   3 months 6 days ago

Very tasty drink. You can taste the Frangelico but it is very nicely set off by the tangy/bitter flavors.  Will make again.

• Reply to: Preceptor   by   3 months 1 week ago

Used Tomatin, Sfuamato and vintage port at 2.5 / .5 / .5 / .5. Excellent. Would try again with a touch of Islay too.

• Reply to: Fernet Alexander   by   3 months 1 week ago

Plinio Sandalio once made me a Branca Menta Alexander while he was in residence at Anvil. It was pretty great stuff.  Zachary

• Reply to: Fernet Alexander   by   3 months 1 week ago

My god -- this drink turned 10 this month! I noticed a lot of people posting about it on Barnotes and claiming it their creation, but that time sig on that post pre-dates them by several years. Really, it was due to the Anvil publishing their 100 drinks list in 2009 and suggesting any spirit for the Alexander; they used Campari, so I turned to Fernet.

• Reply to: Fernet Alexander   by   3 months 1 week ago

Just made this tonight after not having it for several years.  Maybe my palate has become more numb to fernet-y bitterness, but I thought the ratio of fernet to other ingredients could be upped to 1.5 or 2 to 1 part each of the creme de cacao and cream.  At least using our house fernet blend (3 parts Branca, 2 parts Letherbee & 1 part CH Dogma) and the uber-rich Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao (which I thought kinda dominated in equal parts or even 1.5:1:1, but in a not unpleasant chocolate-ly way).

• Reply to: Arrack Attack   by   3 months 1 week ago

This looks amazing - can you substitute the Domaine de Canton with Ginger Syrup?

• Reply to: Chasing My Tail   by   3 months 1 week ago

The "History" field says it was created by Kal Moore but the "Created by" field says it was created by Mike Gordon. What's up?

• Reply to: Bombay Sour   by   3 months 1 week ago

Really like this. It hits the intersection of "interesting " and "highly drinkable".

• Reply to: Storyville   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Ango. I’vd updated the recipe.

• Reply to: Mrs. 404   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This is a drink that is both tangy and sweet. And delicious! For the gin I used Hendrick's Solstice, which is a limited gin. I believe this will be a better drink by using a gin that has some body, either a botanical gin or highly juniper gin. This is because of the sweetness (Aperol and St Germain) and the tanginess from the lemon juice. A gin such as Beefeater's is likely to be swallowed up by the other ingredients. This is an enjoyable drink, either before or after dinner. Or on a hot day. Enjoy!

• Reply to: Storyville   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Rafa, do you have a preferred bitters here? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Soothsayer   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Very good!! Didn't have the dram so just soaked ground allspice & nutmeg in the bourbon (use coffee filter) for 5 min. Simplify it and just use 1/4 oz maple syrup instead of mixing up a solution with water. Used regular lemon juice, but curious to try with Meyer. Also, added half an egg white to give it a little foam.

• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

Splendid.

• Reply to: Leather Bucket   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

This is true.  I attempted a few years back with Fernet Branca as that was all I had available. I had the same reaction that I used to have with cough syrup as a child:  two seconds after the swallow, I sneezed it right out.   Now that I have Fernet Vallet in my bar to use, I tried again.  NO sneeze!

• Reply to: Yellow Bird   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

The increase in rum is acknowledged in the Notes. I've curated to add a link to the IBA recipe and to tag this as an altered recipe.

• Reply to: Yellow Bird   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

The IBA suggests the proportion is 2:1 Rum:Others rather than 3:1 in this cocktail. Other recipes I've found suggest that it's 2oz rum instead of 1½. I don't see a lot of support for the garnish either although some sort of fruit wedge/slice seems is not unusual.

• Reply to: Trident   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

The video above is an updated, more recent post.  The original recipe video (I ripped the videos from Small Screen Network before they shut down) uses Dry Sack Medium Sherry (a blend of Amontillado, Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez) and Fee Brother's Peach Bitters.  So it's quite a bit less dry than a version using just Amontillado and The Bitter Truth Peach Bitters (which are much more bitter than the Fee's).  The Trident is a drink I really gravitated to when it came out, maybe as much for the drink itself as it encouraged me to explore my own Negroni variants.  I personally like using Krogstad Aquavit (it's a cleaner, crisper flavor than the oloroso cask barrel aged Linie) and a 50/50 split of Amontillado and East India Sherry.

• Reply to: Trident   by   3 months 2 weeks ago

2 dashes of Orange Bitters would help. Video description suggests it.

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I developed this with Luxardo Apricot Liqueur. I love it, and find it a bit less sweet (and a tad more complex) than the R&W, though both work great in this drink. Cheers!