• Reply to: Psycho Killer   by   2 months 1 week ago

The recipe in the The Dead Rabbit: Mixology & Mayhem book has just regular Campari. I made it since it was one of the few recipes in the book that didn't require an infusion or other difficult ingredient. I know with regular Campari, it was an unbalanced sugar bomb especially when it warmed up a bit. I had to force myself to finish it, but I could see it being a good pairing with dessert.

• Reply to: Gucci Sweater Now   by   2 months 1 week ago

Thanks Rafa - I have a nagging feeling it needs something high proof and really woody to cut through the sweetness. I'm going to try it with something from Daniel Bouju I think. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Gucci Sweater Now   by   2 months 1 week ago

Love the name. Drink sounds delicious, too.

• Reply to: Naked and Famous   by   2 months 1 week ago

Diego Valencia's Naked in the Desert subs sotol for the mezcal, serves on the rocks, and garnishes with a grapefruit twist and 6 drops Angostura bitters.

• Reply to: Lawn Dart   by   2 months 1 week ago

Great cocktail! I liked it best with 1.25 oz of tequila, a generous slice of pepper, and more like .6 oz of agave. I also found it's important that the green pepper have a perfectly ripe sweetness to it; a bland or undersweet green pepper can somehow create an almost chlorinated taste in this drink. So taste test your pepper before muddling!

• Reply to: Jakartian Peardition   by   2 months 1 week ago

I'm intrigued enough to try. Question about the pear liqueur you list vs pear brandy spec on the Punch site. That'd certainly affect the sweetness, no? What did you use?

• Reply to: Mig Royale   by   2 months 1 week ago

A much fuller mouth feel than a French 75.

• Reply to: Red Lion   by   2 months 1 week ago

Curated this: Renamed the drink per the cited link (removed creator's name which is confusing). Reverted drink to cited specs. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: B2C2   by   2 months 1 week ago

Made this as written and the Benedictine was overpowering, but another couple ounces of champagne balanced it excellently.

• Reply to: Conjurers & Concubines   by   2 months 1 week ago

Any suggestions on what rum to use?

• Reply to: Charente-16   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Was looking to use up an open bottle of Pierre Ferrand Pineau I have in the fridge and found this recipe on Punch.  Always on the lookout for more stirred tequila cocktails (especially using blancos), so I mixed it up but didn't read close enough to realize this uses a Rosso Pineau. not Blanc.  Oops.  But it was solid with the Blanc.  Pretty fruity, but the earthy agave notes did cut through nicely.  You definitely want to use a punchy, agave forward tequila, no triple distilled Patron or diffuser garbage.  I thought it needed a bit of a spice counterpoint to all the fruit, so I hit the glass with a couple atomizer spritzes of allspice liqueur.

• Reply to: Infinite Jest   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Used Maurin Quina when I could not find Zucca, and preferred it.

• Reply to: Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Coffee Heering is unheard of in these parts, but Kahlua works just fine.

• Reply to: Bitter Mai Tai   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Really nice. Tried it with both the campari and the cynar. Cynar version edged out the campari version in our household. I used Pierre Ferrand dry curacao as well.

• Reply to: Leopold Meeks   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Hey Dan,
    The drink is built around that specific gin, so I'm afraid it may not with anything else. I'm going to say experiment, though! The key would be to find a gin that has a similar flavor profile that will work with the Green Chartreuse and bitters well. Perhaps another american small batch is out there that will work. American gins tend to have citrus notes that english ones don't. The citrus components of the gin are what make it work here (orange and pummelo zest). As far as bitters go, the Fee bros are what I had in mind & used, but experimentation will tell if Bittermans works well too.
    It just doesn't work with well london dry gin though. Do let me know what you find. I'll see if I can come up with an alternate too.
    -John

• Reply to: Oaxacan Negroni   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

I liked this. A lot. Made it with Xicaru Reposado mezcal, and a 2:1:1 ratio of mezcal:vermouth:Compari (my standard Negroni formula), and strongly recommend a lime peel shave over a lemon twist.

• Reply to: Barber of Seville   by   2 months 2 weeks ago

Made with Campari and didn't have any orange water so used bit more bitters and really good aperitif cocktail

• Reply to: The CooCoo Nut   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

I had to clean this up a bit, mainly to remove PR cut and pasted from the link. This seems like it's beyond the reach of most home enthusiasts.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Tom Joad   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Steinbeck, yes! Lapsus. Thank you. And thanks also to the curator!

• Reply to: Tom Joad   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Faulkner? Perhaps you meant Steinbeck. I'll still try the drink.

• Reply to: Tom Joad   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Delicious and complex. Scaled up a bit as 1.25 : 1 .25 : 0.75.

• Reply to: Frisco Sour   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

Loved it!

Might benefit from the addition of an expressed twist of lemon.

• Reply to: (Twice) Improved Whiskey Sour   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

The first time I made this I didn't have hot pepper-infused honey, so I added a pinch of cayenne to my honey syrup and thought it worked well for some subtle heat. I also found that with this substitution, the drink tasted better to me if made with a scant 1 oz lemon instead of .5 oz lemon and .5 oz lime.

Later I got my hands on some chile-infused honey ("Mike's Hot Honey") and it stood up to the lime well. My preferred ratio was 60% lemon, 40% lime.

The maraschino is delicious addition and the amount is subtle, just right. This is my go-to whiskey sour now.

• Reply to: Frisco Sour   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

As with many drinks, it's good to start with *half* of the lemon juice called for. The lemon juice threatens to obscure the other flavors. But it's a pleasant sip when you figure out your favorite ratio. Not bad on the rocks.

• Reply to: Phony Negroni   by   2 months 3 weeks ago

This is sort of a Mediterranean tiki drink. The flavor combination is sensational, but it's a little sweeter than I was hoping. Next time I'm going to try it without the simple syrup. Thanks for a delicious drink!