• Reply to: Black Forest Cocktail   by   4 months 4 days ago

It's worth noting for the record that Rothman and Winter cherry liqueur and Luxardo maraschino liqueur are radically different in flavor profile (though either might well work in this drink!).

• Reply to: Mad Experiment   by   4 months 4 days ago

Curated slightly to express pepper infusion better and scale from parts to a reasonably-sized drink.

• Reply to: Black Forest Cocktail   by   4 months 5 days ago

A great cocktail for bourbon lovers. I had to scramble for ingredients. Lacking Elijah Craig Bourbon (it got finished off last November) I reached for Woodford Reserve. And lacking R & W cherry liqueur, I grabbed for Luxardo liqueur. Together, these ingredients made this wonderful libation. But, I suspect that Black Forest Cocktail would have been in the 4.0 range had I the called for ingredients. As it was, I rated Black Forest Cocktail 4.5 with what I could pull down from my shelves. A great cocktail, regardless!

• Reply to: Bitter Highlander   by   4 months 1 week ago

Tried this with ginger syrup instead of honey, it was excellent.

• Reply to: Rye Tai   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated: Changed instructions to avoid copyright infringement; added credit per link.

• Reply to: Midnight Mass   by   4 months 1 week ago

<p>
    I looked at the recipe for "Midnight Mass", and my mouth watered, but I didn't want to go through the hassles of Svenryelsdorn and end up with a less than satisfactory cocktail.

I lacked two essential ingredients for the making of "Midnight Mass". First, I didn't have Scarlet Ibis Rum, so I dug deep into my 20+ bottles of different rums, and decided upon Matusalem Rum (10 year old Cuban-style rum). It turned out to be a delicious choice.

Second, I didn't have Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter Bitters. Now I had to be creative, because while I had nearly 30 bitters, but I didn't have the right one. I decided to use ONE DASH of Scrappy's Cardamom bitters and TWO DASHES of Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters. Once stirred so that it was reasonably cold, I poured it into a large and cold Old Fashion glass with a LARGE ice cube. I then topped it with a large orange twist (after I had expressed the oil on top of the libation). The outcome was a libation with a smooth rum taste, with mild cardamom and various fruit notes, including orange. All in all, a do-able alternative to the ingredients I lacked. I rated this cocktail variation at 4.0.

I hope others might experiment with Midnight Mass' recipe, and comment on their outcomes. This needs to be done when you have a recipe others have enjoyed, but the essential ingredients are hard to come by (or impossible to get), and are, therefore, lacking.

• Reply to: Pressure Drop   by   4 months 1 week ago

I'll try this next with Plymouth gin ...the Old Tom approached my limit of sweet for this style of cocktail.  It will also be a fun one to experiment with my amari collection. Over all, this one is a contemporary classic in my book.

• Reply to: Fig and Thistle   by   4 months 1 week ago

Gin and Cardamaro

• Reply to: Enrico Pallazzo   by   4 months 1 week ago

Minor curation - spelling of 'Pallazzo'.

• Reply to: Silvio's Algorithm   by   4 months 1 week ago

Used St. George Dry Rye Reposado for fear that an Old Tom might be too sweet.  The result felt a little too astringent.  Would try Genever next time around.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   4 months 1 week ago

I've seen comments about the sweetness level of the cocktail, and I can see how it can get a tad sweet for some tastes, but the key is to use an over proof rye like Rittenhouse 100 to help balance with a bit more alcohol.  Definitely dial back the benedictine and chartreuse to 1/4 or so if you are don't have an over proof rye on hand.

• Reply to: Bona Drag   by   4 months 1 week ago

The Bonal gets a bit lost for me beneath two powerfully flavored rum/rhums and the lemon, and I love Bonal. Perhaps a true amaro or a partial replacement with a pie spice amaro? Or perhaps Meletti and could forgo the chocolate bitters?

• Reply to: Paradise Cocktail   by   4 months 1 week ago

Light moderation: rephrased instructions to avoid copyright infringement.

• Reply to: Malcolm Lowry   by   4 months 1 week ago

Messed up putting the cocktail in and now can't fix it.

3/4 oz of the rum, lime juice and triple sec

• Reply to: The Irons   by   4 months 1 week ago

Interested

• Reply to: Buono Whistler   by   4 months 1 week ago

Thanks for this, Stew.  Tweaked a little:  Used agave syrup and threw a little sliced ginger in the shaker. Reduced vermouth slightly.  And, HEAVENLY!

• Reply to: Lewis & Martin Cocktail   by   4 months 1 week ago

Haigh does shake this, though conventional wisdom would have it stirred.

• Reply to: Florodora   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

User njdesantis points to the recipe on liquor.com that suggests ginger syrup and soda.

• Reply to: Modernista   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Regan leaves out the Swedish Punsch.

• Reply to: Delmarva Cocktail #2   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Regan garnishes both #1 and #2 with mint.

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Used the serious eats version with good results. Muddle 3 slices fresh ginger. 2 oz blended scotch, 3/4 50:50 honey syrup, 3/4 lemon. Shake, double strain, 1/4 Islay float. I’d like to make the original with sweetened ginger juice soon, but this version is easy to whip up if you have fresh ginger on hand.

• Reply to: Court of the Crimson King   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Tastes like kids' cough syrup.  Uninspired for all those ingredients.

• Reply to: Morning Glory   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

An alternative recipe is at Imbibe, as pointed out by user Blanco B.

• Reply to: Dante's Requiem   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Made this with B&B instead of Benedictine (it’s all we had) and I think it mellowed it out a bit, not as sweet as others complained. Very herbaceous and sweet enough. It looked naked without some garnish so we added an orange peel twist, it complemented the herbaceousness!

• Reply to: Eastern Exposure   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Eastern Exposure is a pleasant drink, but as commented on by two others, it has a sweetness to it, from the Ramazzotti I suspect (and from the orange bitters, to a lesser degree), that some may not like. I used Jim Beam Black (a more pronounced taste than Four Roses, yet easy to imbibe), and still the sweetness. As is, I rate this cocktail at 3.5.

Nevertheless, I'm going to make this drink twice more, each a different way. First, I'll make Eastern Exposure using Four Roses' small batch bourbon, and also using lemon bitters instead of orange bitters. Second, I'll make Eastern Exposure using a good rye (Bulleit or Wild Turkey, for example) with orange bitters. I love a good rye drink, and it just may be that Eastern Exposure is a better drink when made with rye. Comparing the drink when made with different bitters vs. made with rye will--hopefully-- give some insight as to how to best make Eastern Exposure.