• Reply to: A Simple Quandary   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Splendid.

• Reply to: Leather Bucket   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

This is true.  I attempted a few years back with Fernet Branca as that was all I had available. I had the same reaction that I used to have with cough syrup as a child:  two seconds after the swallow, I sneezed it right out.   Now that I have Fernet Vallet in my bar to use, I tried again.  NO sneeze!

• Reply to: Yellow Bird   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The increase in rum is acknowledged in the Notes. I've curated to add a link to the IBA recipe and to tag this as an altered recipe.

• Reply to: Yellow Bird   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The IBA suggests the proportion is 2:1 Rum:Others rather than 3:1 in this cocktail. Other recipes I've found suggest that it's 2oz rum instead of 1½. I don't see a lot of support for the garnish either although some sort of fruit wedge/slice seems is not unusual.

• Reply to: Trident   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

The video above is an updated, more recent post.  The original recipe video (I ripped the videos from Small Screen Network before they shut down) uses Dry Sack Medium Sherry (a blend of Amontillado, Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez) and Fee Brother's Peach Bitters.  So it's quite a bit less dry than a version using just Amontillado and The Bitter Truth Peach Bitters (which are much more bitter than the Fee's).  The Trident is a drink I really gravitated to when it came out, maybe as much for the drink itself as it encouraged me to explore my own Negroni variants.  I personally like using Krogstad Aquavit (it's a cleaner, crisper flavor than the oloroso cask barrel aged Linie) and a 50/50 split of Amontillado and East India Sherry.

• Reply to: Trident   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

2 dashes of Orange Bitters would help. Video description suggests it.

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

I developed this with Luxardo Apricot Liqueur. I love it, and find it a bit less sweet (and a tad more complex) than the R&W, though both work great in this drink. Cheers!

• Reply to: Campari Collins   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

Any guidance on making the sweetened lemon juice?

• Reply to: Vlad the Impaler   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

With lime, falernum, and rhum agricole, this feels like a Caribbean last word.

Given the tropical feel, I really don't get the name...

• Reply to: Sacrilege   by   3 months 3 weeks ago

When I joined Russell House Tavern in 2013, the drink was still on the menu but with Jameson. The name revolves around how some thought it a sacrilege to mix with Irish whiskey, but those in the know had dubbed this one the "Sacrilicious." I believe that the drink finally left the menu in 2014 coinciding with John leaving the bar team (there was a tradition that your drink generally left the menu along with you).

• Reply to: Ibsen’s Door   by   3 months 4 weeks ago

This was Hannah's bitter take on the 20th Century at Russell House Tavern, Cambridge, MA.

• Reply to: Midnight Marauder (Joaquín Simó)   by   4 months 2 days ago

Not terrible, but tastes a bit like an old shoe.

• Reply to: 1815 Sutherland Highlanders   by   4 months 4 days ago

Beautiful nose, but oddly metallic finish. I used a mellow Speyside scotch, which may have not mixed well.

• Reply to: Carlota's Collapse   by   4 months 4 days ago

This was my mashup of The Search for Deliciousness, Maximilian Affair, and Little Giuseppe. It was created at home in 2019 at served at the Fenix Speakeasy at Nahita in Boston. For more information: https://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2019/02/carlotas-collapse.html

• Reply to: Doff Your Hat   by   4 months 1 week ago

This was way too sweet for my palate as listed.  Tried bumping up the genever to 1.5 oz, still a bit sweet for me.  Reduced the ancillary ingredients all to .5 oz as well, and that was a better balance IMHO.

• Reply to: 1794   by   4 months 1 week ago

Curated this - thanks Fred. It's good to see you here more often. Zachary

• Reply to: Prizzly Bear   by   4 months 1 week ago

I'm catching up, posting old cocktails from nearly a decade ago. Have made many of them recently and they feel like old friends.

• Reply to: 1794   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

The drink was created in 2004 before there were mole bitters on the market by 3 years or so. My blog post has the first evidence of the addition of them (posts earlier in the year list them without the bitters). I can't be certain where, but Avery Glasser suggests that the addition was made in Boston.

• Reply to: Banana Daiquiri No. 2   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Used Plantation Pineapple Rum and Ardbeg 10 Years Old as the wash. Nice.

• Reply to: Commando   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated this - this is a midcentury drink from the 1946 Stork Club Bar Book by Lucius Beebe. Revised the drink to match the cited link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Second Serve   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Curated: added ice to Collins glass as per source.

• Reply to: Apparent Sour   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

It was good, but a bit sour. I added 1/4 oz. Kirschwasser and that boosted it to a 4 star for me.

• Reply to: 2 to 2   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Had to try this for the contradictory flavors (all of which are personal favorites), but was highly disappointed. This is more of a combination of ingredients rather than a balanced cocktail. Barely drinkable IMHO.

• Reply to: The Surplus   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Sweet and spicy - nice use of Pisco as a base for elderflower, chile and citrus of Aperol.

• Reply to: 1919   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

When we had it at Drink in 2008, it was 1 dash Mole Bitters. The cinnamon note of the Fee's would be delightful, but it was not the house recipe (the version of the Drink recipe book I have lists it as 2 dashes Mole Bitters and served in a rocks glass without ice).