• Reply to: Earth Mother   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

I had just bought new bottles of Amargo-Vallet and Creme de Banane and saw this cocktail and felt like the universe was telling me something. Tasty. I might add a little egg white to get a small amount of froth on the top. I personally felt the banana got lost in the mix, but will attempt again to confirm.

• Reply to: Kentucky Maid   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to add mint and a garnish which appear to be part of the authentic recipe.

• Reply to: Tango   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Just to add to the confusion, the Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book (which also specs the aforementioned Tango #2) says a Tango is a pre-prohibition drink made up of equal parts dry gin and French vermouth, with an egg white.

• Reply to: Tango   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

The two certainly have similar ingredients (though most incarnations of the Satan's Whiskers seem to call for Grand Marnier or curacao, rather than a triple sec). I'll note that you had a similar "Tango #1" on your site in 2009.

I don't have Hess's books. The Tango on his website matches the rum-based Tango #2 on your site. The Tango given here is a "potato head" of the other, with merely base spirit and liqueur swapped.

Hess's site and Mr Boston include recipes for both Satan's Whiskers (3/4 oz each gin and vermouths; 1/2 oz OZ and Grand Marnier; orange bitters) and the latter includes a gin and triple sec "Tango" with different proportions (1 oz gin, 1/2 oz each vermouths and OJ; 1/2 tsp triple sec).

• Reply to: Tango   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Isn't this drink better known as the Satan's Whiskers?

• Reply to: Tango   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Fred Yarm found a real nice cocktail of the same name that is a "Daiquiri variation with a trio of sweeteners: curaçao, grenadine, and Amer Picon:"

• Reply to: The Ticket that Exploded   by   5 months 1 day ago

I originally made it at home with Smith & Cross (since that's the only interesting bottle of rum I remember that bar having).

• Reply to: The Ticket that Exploded   by   5 months 1 day ago

Curated to add garnish to ingredients list. Welcome Frederic!

• Reply to: The Ticket that Exploded   by   5 months 2 days ago

Very nice, Fred - that's a keeper. I used Smith & Cross for the rum.

• Reply to: Bird's Eye View   by   5 months 2 days ago

To me this is just a slightly more herbal/complex Manhattan, which might be great if I loved Manhattans. I mean, it's good, but not great. Whatevs, I'd drink it again before I'd drink a regular Manhattan.

• Reply to: Old Money   by   5 months 2 days ago

This is one of the finest cocktails I’ve ever tasted. One of the best uses of Nux Alpina ever! Thanks!

• Reply to: Camparipolitan   by   5 months 2 days ago

I put it into my 2nd book (Boston Cocktails: Drunk & Told) a few years later as 1 1/2 oz Campari, 3/4 oz Creole Shrubb Orange Liqueur, 3/4 oz Lime, 1/2 oz cranberry, 1 pinch salt. Russell House had large builds back then, and I created it on the fly for a ticket that asked for a Campari drink with a request that I make it (I wasn't working the service bar that night so I felt free to give them something unique). Probably 1 1/2 : 1/2 : 1/2 : 1/2 : 1 pinch would work well too since that's the build I use for my Cosmos lately, but I have not revisited this drink in a few years.

• Reply to: Texas Cakewalk   by   5 months 2 days ago

Curated to update source to Fred Yarm's authoritiative blog.

• Reply to: Texas Cakewalk   by   5 months 2 days ago

Created by "Frederic Yarm" with more information: https://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2019/03/texas-cakewalk.html

Cheers, Fred

• Reply to: Cocktail de la Louisiane (Sam Ross)   by   5 months 3 days ago

Both incarnations are great, but I actually prefer to vermouth-containing one. I think the dilution and extra absinthe both pair with the syrupy sweetness of Benedectine much better.

• Reply to: Juke Cup   by   5 months 1 week ago

Curated this - removed fresh from lime juice, we know. Rewrote instructions and removed picture to avoid copyright. Added the note specifying the BroVo Falernum.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: La Llorona   by   5 months 1 week ago

Accidentally doubled the amaro but still was excellent!

• Reply to: Copper Canyon   by   5 months 1 week ago

I see where it gets its name. Like sucking on a roll of pennies.

• Reply to: Dreadlock Holiday   by   5 months 1 week ago

Curated to add link and specify the garnish per link.

• Reply to: Dreadlock Holiday   by   5 months 1 week ago

Replaced the Doctor Bird with S&C. Don’t know how accurate that is. Also used a pineapple syrup in place of the liqueur. Very nice even with these changes.

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot is the only apricot liqueur I've tried. It's high quality and plenty sweet. (In fact my quest has been the opposite: to find an apricot brandy to try in vintage recipes for which this liqueur is too sweet!)

• Reply to: Modern Times   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

I'd appreciate a suggestion for a brand of Apricot liquer. I used Sipsmith for the Sloe Gin and a small batch local number for the apricot. Mine came out too dry but I think a sweet apricot spirit would address that. I added a couple bar spoons of simple and it was much better.

• Reply to: Entering a World of Pain   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

If you will it, Dude, it is no dream.

• Reply to: Deshler Cocktail   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Dead Rabbit spec doubles down on orange:

• 1 1/2oz Rye (Dickel)
    • 1/2oz Seeet Vermouth (Punt e Mes)
    • 1/2oz Bigallet China China Amer
    • 1/4oz Royal Combier
    • 4 dashes Peychaud's
    • 4 dashes Absinthe
    • 3 drops 20% saline (or a small pinch of salt)
    • 1 twist orange peel, expressed and discarded

Stir. Strain. One big rock. Express and discard orange peel.

• Reply to: Cotillion   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this to clarify that this is a drink altered by Scott Kennedy (by subbing curacao for triple sec and altering proportions). It is much older, at least as old as 1946 when it was printed in The Stork Club Bar Book.