• Reply to: Solera   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

To put on the wine geek hat for a second (ahem) Amontillado and Oloroso are the results of two very different styles of aging Sherry. While they're both palomino grapes, Amontillado is aged under flor and Oloroso is not, which is why Olorosos are much darker - they're not protected from oxidation by the yeast layer. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Solera   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Corrected spelling of 'Palo' in Notes.

• Reply to: Jekyll and Hyde   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Liked this one better with ¼ oz cinnamon syrup instead of the split sweetener. Didn't expect the 2 types of bitters to be necessary, but the cinnamon notes in the Bitter Truth make a noticeable difference and the Angostura brings it all together. The two citrus peels are a nice touch, but it's fine with just the orange.

• Reply to: Johnny Utah   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Made this with Jeffrey Morgenthaler's grenadine and Cocktail Codex sous vide cinnamon syrup. The pomegranate brings out the fruit in the Campari, and that interplay is the star of the show. Not sure the cinnamon syrup is doing much here, will try again with all grenadine. Delicious regardless. Like an extra bitter extra citrusy Mexican Firing Squad.

• Reply to: Liberal (Averna)   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Lovely. I used Bond & Lillard bourbon, Punt e Mes and my own blood orange bitters. Very chocolatey.

• Reply to: Paris When It Sizzles   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Will try

• Reply to: Candencia Obscura   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Used Havana selección de maestros,  and it was far too sweet for me.

Mostly gran Classico flavor.

• Reply to: Bitter Giuseppe   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

So... this drink. I think that this was the original. It inspired Kirk Estopinal at Cure in New Orleans to come up with the Search for Delicious, which was featured in Beta Cocktails. I would guess that (as Misty Kalkofen put it) a "game of telephone" ensued and thus the Little Giuseppe. All three are significant. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: North Garden   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Made exactly as listed. Was a bit rough - Laird's, I've found, is a bit too hot/rough as a primary spirit for me. Works well when supporting and with balancing sweetness (particularly maple notes, demerara syrup, apple juice//cider).

• Reply to: Lilywhacker   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Comes off a bit hot, as listed in the book. Added 1/4 oz rich simple and it balanced it a bit better.

• Reply to: Le Bon Mot   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Closer to 3 stars than 4. Not bad, but not something I wanted a second helping of. Pretty tart drink overall. Didn't highlight the best of any ingredient. Needed more depth to balance out the sour.

• Reply to: Clare Island   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Built as indicated, except using Rothman's pear liqueur instead of Merlet.  I found it much too sweet for my palate (which I kinda guessed given the build).  Tried again with 2 oz rum, still too sweet.  Adding .5 oz bourbon to the base recipe (in my case the high rye OGD 100) dried it out and was an improvement for me without changing the flavor profile too much.

• Reply to: Sooner or Later   by   6 months 4 weeks ago

Made a half quantity with Cocchi, Old Monk, Patron XO Cafe and Ango. Nice bittersweet dessert drink, orange twist is essential.

• Reply to: Banana Stand (Rob Roy)   by   7 months 1 day ago

Best Scotch Tiki cocktail I've ever had. Incredible!

• Reply to: Floral Explosion   by   7 months 2 days ago

Delicious, and I have no problem with the size (maybe I just have big glasses). But what struck me most is how much it looks, smells and tastes like Strega. This is by no means a bad thing.

• Reply to: C'est La Vie   by   7 months 3 days ago

There are other commercial fig bitters that likely have a different spice profile, but would probably still work:

• AZ Bitters Lab Figgy Pudding
    • Crude Sycophant (orange and fig)
    • Mister Bitters Fig and Cinnamon

Or you may DIY.

• Reply to: C'est La Vie   by   7 months 4 days ago

Is there a decent substitute for these bitters? I've seen these Fig bitters in a number of recipes, but they are persistently unavailable and the company seems like it may be defunct.

• Reply to: Mad Max   by   7 months 6 days ago

Maddenly delicious!

• Reply to: Adderley Cocktail   by   7 months 1 week ago

Very tasty. I may cut the lemon juice down to 1/2oz next time.

• Reply to: Kirkwood   by   7 months 1 week ago

Flavors are nice, but for my palate, this is too sweet as written. Next time I'll play with the proportions a bit, probably increasing the rye to 2 oz. and/or dialing down the St. Germain and Punt e Mes.

• Reply to: Polynesian Pearl Diver   by   7 months 1 week ago

Is it intentional that the mix listed in the ingredients has equal amounts of butter/honey/vanilla/allspice/cinnamon but the mix in the notes has very different proportions?

• Reply to: Aromatic Collins   by   7 months 1 week ago

Some light curating including clarifying the rich simple. I imagine that will make the layering even more foolproof. Thanks @noksagt.

• Reply to: The Colevardier   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

I made many times the Colevardier,  and will do again. Very nice mix.

I tried  tonight 1.5 oz mellow corn, 0.5 Suze, 0.5 Monténégro, 1 dash orange bitter. Strangely i think it tasted mostly Corn whisky. Like if Monténégro emphasized corn whisky taste and added Just a bit of Spice with slight bitterness from Suze.

More in a gentiane bittered old fashioned  way?

• Reply to: Aromatic Collins   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Video calls for rich syrup (2:1).

• Reply to: Zapoteca   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Since 3 oz into the mixing glass makes a nice sized drink, maybe re-scale to 1oz each? Would make the recipe more beautiful too. This sounds good to me. I'm trying it tonight with Amer Boudreau.