• Reply to: Las Meninas   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

I had no spanish Brandy on hand, and tried with Cognac.

I confirm what Mahastew already specified: Does not work with Cognac.  Too sweet. You are warned...

• Reply to: Sleepy Hollow   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Fixed the link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Sleepy Hollow   by   7 months 2 weeks ago
  • Reply to: Italian Gentleman   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Made this with 1oz bourbon and 0.5oz rye--a little heat helped keep it interesting.

• Reply to: American Trilogy   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Sasha Petraske founded both Milk & Honey and Little Branch.

The cocktail's co-creators are Richard Boccato and Michael McIlroy.  They both worked at both bars. But Little Branch probably deserves the nod. In Regarding Cocktails, Boccatto's quote about this drink:

Once in the midst of a sleepy shift at Little Branch, I asked Mickey whether or not a cocktail could be built in the glass and devised with ingredients that were slightly different from those that we used to make our house Old Fashioned.

This is a modern classic & I'd think Bocatto & McIlroy's original version (rather than the minor alterations made in PDX) should be found somewhere here.

• Reply to: Bernard Black   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

I’d recommend Amaro Averna

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Excellent. I used Green Chartreuse and the other ingredients exactly as specified. Delightful balance. For a less sweet drink, I'd split the Punt e Mes 50/50 with dry vermouth.

• Reply to: American Trilogy   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Lightly curated. Note that the original (at link) specifies making a maple syrup syrup, and stirring and straining over rocks.

While the Imbibe link traces provenance to Little Branch, there are also references out there to a similar but not identical cocktail put together at Milk & Honey that went by the same name.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Curated to add creator and source. Thanks for your detective work @noksagt

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Cocchi's equivalent would be Dopo Teatro Vermouth Amaro. It seems to work with that, though it is still a bit sweet for my personal taste. I might propose switching to a green Chartreuse rinse.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Per an Aug 30, 2014 Redbook: Dave Kwiatkowski, The Sugar House, Detroit.

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

I confirm, does not work with Cocchi Torino.

Or maybe also because of izarra green i've used instead of Chartreuse.

• Reply to: Enzoni   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Strong Campari aftertaste rounded and tamed by grape. Very pleasant but i really think it lacks something in.

Will make again.

• Reply to: A Silver-Tongued Devil   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Used Suze, Mulassano dry vermouth. Very good. Mild. Nice low proof cocktail.  I really think it tastes what a high quality bianco vermouth should taste.

• Reply to: Islavardier   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Is the "chartreuse" specified here Green Chartreuse?

• Reply to: Czech Your Head   by   8 months 1 hour ago

Quite good. Surprisingly sweet. Made with Cocchi vermouth, Massenez Creme de Peche, Maison Rouge VSOP cognac

• Reply to: Mashbills, Geeky Information and Resources   by   8 months 3 days ago

GREAT info!

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   8 months 3 days ago

The recipe version I use is a bit more ginger forward. It involves putting some fresh ginger while making the honey syrup. It also involves muddling a bit of fresh ginger in the bottom of the shaker. It also involves no ginger juice not even sure what that is).  Also, as I am not a fan of a lot of peat, I prefer to float with something more of a Speyside or Highland sort.  It's a very good cocktail.

• Reply to: Midnight Snack (Angostura)   by   8 months 3 days ago

Made this with Jameson IPA Cask, King's Ginger, and 0.4 oz date syrup. Probably a bit different but delicious.

• Reply to: Whiskey Sour   by   8 months 3 days ago

It seems that Old Waldorf Astoria Bar Book called for serving some sours at room temperature.  The Pequod Sour, which adds mint to an egg-less whiskey sour is pretty tasty.

• Reply to: Ward 2   by   8 months 4 days ago

Once I found the recipe for this, I adjusted from my original variation of 1 oz. Rye, 1 oz Cocchi Americano, 1 oz. Braulio, which Dan is referring to in his comment.

• Reply to: Transatlantic   by   8 months 1 week ago

This is by far the best use of Parfait Amour I’ve had.

• Reply to: Sacre Bleu   by   8 months 1 week ago

Minor curation to turn link text into hyperlink.

• Reply to: Sloe Loris   by   8 months 1 week ago

Nice low proof sipper

• Reply to: Globetrotter   by   8 months 1 week ago

Olosoro used in original recipe is Lustau "Don Nuño"