• Reply to: Crystal Mocha   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

a more sophisticated black russian.  probably wont interfere with elections.

• Reply to: Green Deacon   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

GREAT introduction to sloe gin, which is was new to me. Using a good-quality sloe gin makes the drink, so I don't think you can replace the Plymouth Sloe Gin. It's easygoing but still very delicious, without being overly sweet or citrus-heavy. Doesn't taste like a lot of other drinks. Oh, and I used a Herbsaint rinse instead of authentic absinthe, but it worked great.

• Reply to: Paper Plane   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Had to sub Meletti, and I drink Rye not Bourbon, still loved it. Looking forward to playing around, maybe trying Cardamaro or Grand Poppy next time. Campari would be too overpowering imo especially if using a stronger flavoured Amaro in place of the Nonino. Lots of opportunity to experiment with this one.

• Reply to: Prospect Park   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

Following a discussion about why you can't make Manhattan variants with Scotch, I made this with Monkey Shoulder and recommend the result. Maybe a little sweeter than with rye, and almost certainly needs a new name. Tartan Hook?

• Reply to: A Farewell to Arms   by   5 months 2 weeks ago

we did a blend of amaro (including amargo-vallet) and this was a tasty cocktail.

• Reply to: Gods of Old   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

A pretty good use of Meletti, something that's hard to tame.

• Reply to: Byrrhlesque   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

If you are a bourbon lover, or if byrrh is your thing, the "Byrrhlesque" is your drink. Smooth, yes! Tasty, oh my! Full-flavored, you bet! I used Four Roses small batch for the bourbon. Others may prefer Maker's Mark or Elijah Craig. Those will work well, as will Jim Beam black label. I rated this libation at 4.0 (but was tempted to push it to 4.5) Mix, stir, strain, and enjoy.

• Reply to: Sazerac   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I tried substituting bourbon barrel aged maple syrup in place of simple syrup to change things up a bit.  I think it came out pretty darn good.  Not much sweeter and a very mild flavor addition.

• Reply to: Caravel   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Seems unbalanced, too dry and sour for my tastes. Next time use 1/4 oz simple syrup or up the chartreuse.

• Reply to: Sun Stealer   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Tried this with rye subbed for the gin (because when I taste a gin drink I like, my first thought usually is "I bet this would be better with whiskey"). Also very good.

• Reply to: bargellino   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

I agree with the previous suggestion to use Nonino rather than Montenegro. There's very little in it - it's a great drink either way - but with Nonino it feels just slightly more balanced.

• Reply to: Bebida de Puebla   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Didn't have the Ristretto, which I understand has a strong flavor, but still very good made with what I had (Tia Maria).

• Reply to: Singapore Sling   by   5 months 4 weeks ago

I enjoy the PDT recipe.  Nearly the same, but lime juice down to 0.25 oz and add 0.5 oz grenadine.

• Reply to: Faded Gentleman   by   6 months 10 hours ago

Brilliant. Benefits from a little extra Gran Classico.

• Reply to: Mediterranean Evening in Fall   by   6 months 15 hours ago

Serve as a digestif with a dessert with mint and nuts, pistachios, or walnuts.  Orange is obviously great in the dessert.  You could substitute an amaretto for the Nocino.  I havent done it, though I believe that it would work.  I used St. George Terroir as the gin, and Amara Amaro for the amaro.

• Reply to: Sibillamenta   by   6 months 5 days ago
  • Reply to: Sibillamenta   by   6 months 6 days ago

Quick question - is Vittone Menta a brand of mint flavored fernet? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Emperor Norton   by   6 months 1 week ago

Absinthe over rum

• Reply to: Streets of Gettysburg   by   6 months 1 week ago

This is absolutely awesome!

• Reply to: Casino Green   by   6 months 1 week ago

Very nice. I subbed in Boomsma Claerkampster Cloosterbitter for the Chartreuse, but the final result was nice, herbal, and sweet. Five stars.

• Reply to: Coffee & Cigarettes   by   6 months 1 week ago

Oh, wow. This is the cocktail that the name deserves. Used Vida and Laphroaig 10, everything else exactly to spec. The Cynar almost completely disappears in a way that I'm not sure I've ever experienced – it always makes itself known. It's clearly contributing in the background here, though, helping bridge the bold ingredients. Will add mole bitters next time, but it's fantastic as-is.

• Reply to: Jaded Gin Daiquiri   by   6 months 1 week ago

Extremely good! I've been looking for a great recipe with a heavy amount of Fernet Branca. Never been so happy to be wrong, because I thought it'd be terrible. If I were to make it for anyone who isn't a cocktail fanatic I would only put a splash of Fernet Branca.

• Reply to: Second Squadron   by   6 months 1 week ago

Awesome. Very sweet but I like it that way. I used a low-quality Elderflower liquor rather than St. Germain, and I think that really takes away from the drink.

• Reply to: Second Squadron   by   6 months 1 week ago

• Reply to: Monk's Revenge   by   6 months 1 week ago

I agree with Dan. This cocktail is very very sweet. But I disagree with the opinion, and I think it is delightful! If you like a sweet pow, like I do, then enjoy.