• Reply to: Baby Grand   by   6 months 1 week ago

[edit of a duplicate comment]

• Reply to: Baby Grand   by   6 months 1 week ago

Not bad, but a little blah with honey syrup. Maybe cinnamon syrup or Donn's #2?

• Reply to: Jasper   by   6 months 1 week ago

One thing I'd recommend doing: a dash of Peychaud's. One variation I'd recommend: swap the Canton for aquavit or kümmel.

• Reply to: Bell Weather   by   6 months 1 week ago

This is a solid recipe.  I made using Strongwater's shrub & would likely cut back to 0.5 oz next time.

• Reply to: Denny Triangle Cocktail   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

I thought this was pretty bland. So I doubled the fernet and added 1/2 oz of Donn';s #2. Helped, but still meh.

• Reply to: Fontana   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

What a great drink.  I used Rittenhouse and Cointreau.  Light on the tongue with very little burn, but super layered and flavorful.  Great job.

• Reply to: Baverniess   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Great cocktail, subbed Cynar for the Averna & Old Rasputin for the Guinness, worked well.  Great winter drink.

• Reply to: Hot Buttered Amaro   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Found the FB version too FB forward at first - tasted harsh for a drink with a good bit of sugar + butter. Got better as it sat for a bit. Look forward to trying with Ram. or other amaros.

• Reply to: Airmail   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

It is included in Here's How on page 36.  It has the earlier of the two publication dates you give. I have no clue if this was the first place that it was printed though.

• Reply to: Fair & Warmer   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Dry curaçao is the key.  There is no substitute.

<br />
    <p>
    Somehow, the name "Tooth & Nail" doesn't quite describe this drink, because it's overall taste is somewhat soft & sweet. Maybe that should be its name. I didn't have Macallan 12, but I did have Glenlivet 12, also a Speyside scotch. I also had Amer Picon (I purchased it by mail from England for a dear penny). But I would not rate this drink at 5.0, as one person did. After a lot thought and many sips, I rated the "Tooth & Tail" somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5.

Why? First, the whisky was overwhelmed by the Drambuie and (believe it or not) the Peach bitters. The Cynar probably had some, but not much, responsibility. The drink definitely has a sweetness to it, but it's not cloy. The Amer Picon and the peach bitters, and to some extent the Drambuie, were the bad boys here. Only a slight bitterness, from the Cynar no doubt.

My overall thoughts about the "Tooth & Tail?" It's a middling Scotch cocktail that needs some changes to bring out its better qualities. My first suggestion is to use only one dash of peach bitters. I would reduce the Dambuie slightly, and the Cynar, too. The Amer Picon --maybe make it two barspoons. And I would definitly up the Scotch to 2 1/2 oz. Now that I've suggested some significant changes, I will make them and see if there is any improvement in the "Tooth & Tail" cocktail. If not, then I leave it to others to improve this cocktail--if it can be improved. </p>

• Reply to: Airmail   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

PDT cocktail book attributes this to W.C. Whitfield (Here’s How, 1941). Other sources say first appears in Esquire’s 1949 Handbook for Hosts. Anyone know which is correct? Either way, it clearly predates posted attribution.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

From the video, it seems that the Dewberry Hotel uses Four Roses (standard yellow label). When I tried it, I used Old Gran Dad 114.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

On my second effort, I used Maker's Mark for the Bourbon, and a skinny "fat" 1/2 oz Cherry Herring, and a skinny 1/4 oz lemon juice. Overall, the drink had a more balanced flavor. In short, I recommend using Maker's Mark or Buffalo Trace for the Bourbon, and a tad more than 1/2 oz for the Cherry Herring. I, personally, prefer slightly less than the called-for 1/4 oz lemon--but that's a matter of personal taste. I still rate Panic Button 4.0, even with the above mentioned changes. With a flip of the coin, however, I might go to 4.5.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Question: Shake with or without ice? If without ice, why not simply stir? Discard the lemon zest? Maybe drop it into the libation if so inclined, perhaps for a tad more flavor, but some color, for sure.

Regardless, the Panic Button is a great drink. Somewhat bitter, but also tangy. For the bourbon, I used Bulleit Bourbon. It's strong flavors enable it to butt heads with the Campari. The cherry flavor, however, suffers somewhat because of the choice of Bourbon and the Camari. I rated this libation at 4.0. Some might say 4.5. In any event, it's a drink to enjoy.

• Reply to: Panic Button   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Shake with ice. I'd have thought this was implied by common style (in contrast to "dry shake"), but have edited the recipe for clarity.

Feel free to do what you want with the zest, but Dewberry Hotel doesn't use them as a garnish (and the recipe in Imbibe didn't even have the detail to express, though their YouTube video did).

• Reply to: It's Not Personal   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

A nice after dinner drink, but it'll do before dinner also. The Benedictine comes through enough to drown out the Nocino's flavor, however. I used 2 dashes of the Mole; a nice outcome. I strongly recommend this libation, and rate it 4.0. An orange twist might be worth trying.

• Reply to: Little Grey Lady   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Far closer to the Corpse Reviver #2 with Elderflower subbed for orange liqueur.

• Reply to: Little Grey Lady   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Also sort of a Last Word variation.

• Reply to: Cocktail de la Louisiane (Sam Ross)   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Punch suggests (as a preprint from the PDT Cocktail Book): 2 oz. Rye, 3/4 oz. Benedictine, 3/4 ox. Sweet Vermouth, 3 dashes each Absinthe & Peychaud's bitters:  https://punchdrink.com/recipes/de-la-louisiane/

• Reply to: The Getaway   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Made as directed.  Reminds me of sophisticated Italian (lemon) ice.  I like a nice tart drink like this one.

• Reply to: Shabash   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

The lemon bitters complement the apricot liqueur beautifully.  I blended Cockspur 12 and Plantation OFTD for the rums.

• Reply to: The Dark Souls of Beverages   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

This is like drinking heavy machinery.

• Reply to: Boulevardier   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Like.

• Reply to: Sound of Silver   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Used Rittenhouse and Lairds bonded, and just muddled some rosemary in place of the tincture. Very tasty.