• Reply to: Franklin Bearse   by   4 months 1 week ago

When Misty Kalkofen made this for me in September 2012, she told me that she wanted to teach the returning students how to drink. My blog post describes, "how she named it after a Cape Cod rum runner who died from a shotgun blast in 1932. The Lowell Sun wrote, 'State police laid the slaying at the door of rum runners they believed had been using the garage as a storage place for liquor-laden trucks. The structure stands about 100 yards from the main highway in a rather isolated section a mile west of Hyannis.'" Yup, this one hits you like a shotgun blast to the head, but a tasty way to go.

• Reply to: The Reiley Ridge   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I really wanted to like this, because Root-based cocktails are far & few. But this was way to heavy on the citrus for me. Not balanced & needed a tad more sugar or less sour.

• Reply to: Georgia-Kentucky Squirrel   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Way too sour - ease up on the lemon and add a bit of simple syrup.

• Reply to: Old Town Vodka Punch   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

I used honey-chamomile syrup cuz that's what I had on hand. Honey flavor was great!

• Reply to: American Praline   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Since I'm not a big Aperol fan, I made this with Bigallet China-China in lieu of that. I also added 2 ds of El Guapo Chicory-Pecan bitters instead of the Black Walnut. I liked the resulting drink, but found it a bit too sweet for my taste. I added something approaching 1/4 oz of Eda Rhyne Rustic Black Walnut Nocino (which is fairly bitter) and this brought the sweetness into perfect balance for my taste.

• Reply to: Improved Kingston Negroni   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Just got my first bottle of CioCiaro, so will give that a try too!

• Reply to: Allen & Wright   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This is one of 14 drinks in the database using Root. Happy hunting!  Zachary

• Reply to: Allen & Wright   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Thank you for finding something that uses Root! Nicely balanced & surprisingly refreshing.

• Reply to: Beekeeper's Apprentice   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Subbed Barenjager for the honey syrup, and Montenegro for the Sibilla. Very tasty! Calling it a Beekeeper's Folly.

• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: The Alpine Rabbit   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

This recipe is very different from the one in the Saveur article you linked to (1.5 bourbon, .75 carrot juice, .5 lemon juice, .5 walnut liqueur, .5 demerara syrup, 1 pinch salt). Might have to try both to see which I prefer...

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Fixed, thanks.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.  Zachary

• Reply to: Downtown at Dawn   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

"Cocchi" is their sweet vermouth -- not the Americano or other. I created this at Russell House Tavern where it appeared on a short menu for a Del Maguey-sponsored Day of the Dead event in 2013. I later made it at other places that had a 3 oz build instead of 4 oz as .75 oz each mezcal and apple brandy and .5 oz each sweet vermouth, Benedctine, and lime.

• Reply to: The Dunaway   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

That Liquor.com link no longer lists this drink (they updated the article with a new list of 7 drinks). We had the Dunaway served to us by Misty at Drink in 2009.

• Reply to: Flor de Jerez   by   4 months 2 weeks ago

Really good-nice on a cold February night but can imagine it being excellent for summer too

• Reply to: 8th Arrondissement   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Subbed CioCiaro for Amer Picon - delicious!

• Reply to: Gallivanting in Golden Gai   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Another 5 in my cocktail list for a Yarm creation. I don't know how you do it, Fred, but don't stop.

• Reply to: Death's Door Cocktail   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Rich, boozy. Chocolate, orange, gin. Winter & Christmas.

• Reply to: Amari & friends   by   4 months 3 weeks ago

Two I've used instead of Campari in Negroni: Rinomato and Bruto Americano.  Wish I could provide more notes on these, but I thought they both subbed in really elegantly.  Bruto Americano has a little more 'smokiness' than Campari, maybe oak?

• Reply to: The Equinox   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Hum

• Reply to: The Preston-Baker   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

This drink was formulated with Giffard's Banane as well as Beefeater, Clement Premiere Canne Rhum Agricole, Dolin Blanc, and Regan's Orange Bitters. I haven't played around with other banana liqueurs as much (I have had them in drinks -- and once both in the same since they wanted different aspects from each). Either way, the banana should be a hint of tropical.

• Reply to: The Equinox   by   4 months 4 weeks ago

Hum?

• Reply to: The Preston-Baker   by   5 months 38 min ago

Nice well balanced cocktail, may need fiddling with Creme de Banane depending on the brand. (I upped to a heavy 1/4 ounce of Tempus Fugit but also used Neisson 50% abv agricole which isn't as fruity as other agricoles).

• Reply to: Celery Tonic   by   5 months 22 hours ago

I'm a big fan of Claire, but using "tonic" in the name of this drink makes no sense; this is a Celery Gin Sour.