• Reply to: Stormy Classic   by   7 months 1 week ago

I cleaned up the History a little bit for clarity. HSE (Habitation Ste. Etienne) makes the rum which can be found in limited amounts in NYC evidently. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Ruirita   by   7 months 1 week ago

Curated slightly: found a working link for the source.

• Reply to: Flor de Muertos   by   7 months 1 week ago

Slight curation: changed the garnish in the Instructions to match the ingredients list (and source).

• Reply to: Fallen Angel   by   7 months 1 week ago

It was just fine with reposado tequila. I didn’t have lime or lavender bitters so I substituted peach and plum bitters.

• Reply to: Boston Cocktail   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Delicious, even when made with a rather strange looking lemon that I filched from my neighbor's tree.

• Reply to: Hard Wednesday   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Hi Zachary,  it's a simple made of chinotto soda and cane sugar.

I've just edited the recipe.

• Reply to: Hard Wednesday   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

Is that simple syrup, Chinotto, or simple made out of Chinotto? Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Alamagoozlum Cocktail   by   7 months 2 weeks ago

This comes off pretty sweet even for a punch recipe. As is, it might be best served in a goblet of crushed ice with straws and fruit garnish. For the cocktail-style drink, after cutting the recipe in half, I still dropped the syrup and liqueurs down to a couple dashes each and omitted the egg white. I think the yellow chartreuse works better here, and Grand Marnier instead of Curaçao was a good choice. Granted, that may be starting to veer away from the original drink.

• Reply to: Super Id   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Can noyaux be replaced by amaretto (do not think so but never had noyaux, a shame since i am in France...) or a mix of amaretto and  a maraschino liqueur with strong pit forward ? In order to bring down amaretto ...

• Reply to: Boston Sidecar   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Undercovered between the sheets ;)  ?  Tried a recipe on imbibe a year ago replacing rum by london dry gin, and it was quiet good and dry:

• Reply to: Tiki Wheat   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

How sweet this end ? Nearly same part sweet and strong

• Reply to: Super Id   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Way to sweet as is. Agree the flavors play well together. I made it a highball, adding 1-2oz of soda water and just a tiny splash of lemon. It made it to an aperitif with a similar flavor profile, still another drink than above.

• Reply to: Boston Sidecar   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

I am going to try this.

• Reply to: The Red Light   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

The two web pages give slightly different quantities of Grand Marnier. Both tend to be reliable, but I unfortunately lack Beta Cocktails to check on this.

• Reply to: Great Scott   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Excellent. I also did this with rye instead of bourbon, on the rocks, finished with 3 drops of lemon juice. In a smaller shot format, would you call this Great Shott?

• Reply to: Damasco   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Odd flavor profile... strangely miny... Not bad, but I'm guessing this would taste very different depending on the specific spirits. I used Espolon anejo whiskey barrel aged tequila, Clement select barrel rhum, punt e mes, and Rothman & Winter apricot. I'm sure that a "real" vermouth would make it less bitter and more enjoyable. Also the tequila I used is kinda specific.

• Reply to: Flor da Paraíba   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Curated to clarify ingredients and remove unlicensed photo.

• Reply to: Damasco   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Curated: paraphrased instructions to avoid copyright infringement.

Suggested brands from the creator: Azuñia, Cana Brava 7, Carpano Antica, Giffard apricot.

• Reply to: Leiya Unchained   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

I read this as yuzu juice rather than yuzu syrup, in looking for a use for the yuzu juice I bought on a whim. I'm not sure what yuzu syrup is - simple made with yuzus? Regardless, don't make my mistake and substitute yuzu juice for yuzu syrup 1 for 1. Made as such, this was not good.

• Reply to: The Devil's Backbone   by   8 months 9 hours ago

Delicious indeed. A touch sweet. I substituted Luxardo Bitter Bianco and used 1 1/2 oz rye and a long stir to combat the sugar.

• Reply to: The Devil's Backbone   by   8 months 1 day ago

Curated: bitters and twist to match source.

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   8 months 2 days ago

As written, this drink is really dry - 3 oz of 80+ proof spirit and some lemon juice. You need the sugar rim to hope to have any sense of balance. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Sidecar   by   8 months 2 days ago

I made Difford's super-easy "Grand Sidecar" a couple weeks ago and was instantly a big fan! Replaces the cognac and Cointreau with just GrandMa since it's already a blend of cognac and orange liqueur.

2 oz Grand Marnier

1 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

That's it! Shake, strain, up, orange peel garnish, enjoy! Try one, it's so good!

Oh, and death to sugar-rimmed glasses!

• Reply to: The Lux   by   8 months 6 days ago

Is this correct the drink should be shaken not stirred? Tried it both ways and both are enjoyable though I prefer the stirred version in lowball glass with large cube of ice.

• Reply to: Dirt 'n Diesel   by   8 months 1 week ago

I had bookmarked this recipe in Gaz's book years ago as it has several of my favorite ingredients but never got around to making it.  Was searching through his MixologyTech app recently and it popped up again, so decided to give it a whirl.  My first thought was I'd definitely need to make some alterations--the only .25 oz lime must be a misprint (especially after seeing some of the comments here), and I thought for sure I'd have to split the Blackstrap with another dark rum--much as I'm not a fan of the all Blackstrap Jungle Bird--but I first made it as spec'd (excepting I used 1:1 demerara syrup).  And it works, at least for me.  I did try a version with a 1:1 split of Blackstrap to Diplomatico Mantuano and .5 oz lime juice, and the flavors were just muddied and less intense than the original. While the flavor profile is a bit one note, I give it 4 stars for challenging my pre-conceived ratio notion.