• Reply to: Molly Ringwald   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Curated this - added instructions (they're not cited at the link, but I can't imagine this is anything else but shaken). Changed elderflower liqueur to elderflower syrup as per link. Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Also great with lime subbed for lemon and Smith & Cross subbed for Rittenhouse.

• Reply to: Flying Circus   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Love this one so much. Nice use of Fernet.

• Reply to: Full Metal Jacket   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Added some chocolate bitters and it was amazing.

• Reply to: Surfer Rosa Obscura   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Quite good: complex with lots of depth. The real surprise is that the rose water totally disappears.

• Reply to: Hurricane Franklin   by   5 months 3 weeks ago

Responding to a trademark request to rename this cocktail, the editor changed it from Hurricane Irma to Hurricane I 2017. See the history. The cocktail's creator should feel free to pick any other name if desired. While I don't acknowledge that the Intent to Use application filed with the USPTO affords the applicant the right to prevent the publication of this recipe, Kindred Cocktails has a "don't be a jerk" policy and does not wish to publish a cocktail using a disputed name. Take your legal fight into the alley out back, please.

As for the cocktail itself, we haven't tried it but it sounds like an interesting sour -- rather unlike the horrid intoxicant poured by the gallon on Bourbon Street to induce public emesis.

• Reply to: The Floating World   by   5 months 4 weeks ago

Nice. It's a gin-less Almond Blossom Crusta.

• Reply to: Trinidad Sour   by   6 months 4 hours ago

Yum! I like it--it's kinda like a vacation in a cold glass.

• Reply to: Shaddock   by   6 months 1 day ago

Nice mix of ingredients.  As with most recipes that call for equal amounts I played with proportions.  This is just a matter of taste of course.  My pick:  1.5 oz Genever; 1 oz Elderflower; 1/2 oz lemon juice; 1/2 oz Aperol

• Reply to: Woolworth   by   6 months 1 day ago

Tried it with amontillado from El Maestro Sierra instead of manzanilla. Nice. Really nice.

• Reply to: The Scent of Bitter Almonds   by   6 months 3 days ago

I think doubling the Cynar is a good idea.

• Reply to: As Wine Stands Time   by   6 months 5 days ago

Tried with Rye and then Bourbon. Seemed better balanced with Bourbon.

• Reply to: Midnight Marauder   by   6 months 6 days ago

Same name is used for a different semi-popular amaro cocktail. Attributed to Joaquín Simó of Pouring Ribbons, ca. 2013:

• 1 oz cynar
    • 1 oz mezcal
    • 1 oz bonal
    • 1 dash mole biters

Stir, strain, no garnish.

• Reply to: Pusherman   by   6 months 1 week ago

From personal experience, shaking club soda is a bad idea... I'm going to eyeball the amount as an ounce and update the instructions. Thanks, Zachary

• Reply to: Pusherman   by   6 months 1 week ago

There are no units on the club soda or instructions on how to use it. I could find several references to the cocktail and ingredients on the web but not units or instructions. Given the Collins class, I assumed it was "top it off" which is what I did. It's a big cocktail to begin with so this eneded up being somwhere in the 1-1.5 oz range, I'd guess. I loved the drink but I'd also love love clarification as to the creators intent in this regard.

• Reply to: The Federation   by   6 months 1 week ago

Tasty, but the flavors come off a bit disparate for me. I want to try it with a mezcal rinse plus a dash of absinthe in the mix. Hell, swap the Angostura for Mole and we're approaching Oaxaca OF territory.

• Reply to: Roma Borgorock   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Love this drink! Have not tried it with the new Zucca recipe, though. The Roma Borgorock is one of the reasons I stocked up on the old recipe before it went away. And yes, have always made it stirred.

• Reply to: Death Is Not The End   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Little late to the party on this one, but I'm guessing the recipe has been updated, since the comments reference a lack of lime juice--now listed at 3/4oz--and using pineapple juice instead of the now listed pineapple syrup.  Made too much of a caramelized sous vide pineapple syrup recently (juiced caramelized pineapple chunks, and cooked that with equal parts demerara sugar and the pineapple rinds for 2 hours at 135 degrees) and was searching for recipes to use it up.  Made this for myself and 3 other jaded bartenders, and we all loved it.  Very balanced given the ingredients list, with both the Fernet menthol, minty goodness and Green Chartreuse herbal elements peaking through but not dominating.  5 stars.

• Reply to: Martini   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

Gin and Sweet Vermouth with a twist is occasionally known as a "Gin & It".  Not worth making a new recipe, but also delic.

• Reply to: Fallback   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

In Sasha's  Regarding Cocktails, this calls for Nonino rather than Montenegro & is served on a rock.

• Reply to: Bensonhurst   by   6 months 2 weeks ago

In Regarding Cocktails, Chad Solomon claimed credit for this Brooklyn variation. There, the recipe calls for 2 oz rittenhouse, 1 oz dolin dry, 2 t luxardo maraschino, and 1 t cynar.  That's also the ohgo.sh recipe.  Perhaps this is more definitive?

• Reply to: Bitter Grapefruit Fizz   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

You could back off on the Campari a little.  I like Campari, but I was looking for the Aperol to be more apparent in this drink.  Still really good though.

• Reply to: Violeta Ahumado   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

An unusual and interesting drink. Much lighter than one might think. Might be interesting with more spirit-forward ratios.

• Reply to: Black Hyper-Graph   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

Zupa, I like the unapologetic use of bold ingredients in the drinks you've posted.  This one reminds me a bit of a more aggressive "The Man Comes Around", one of my favorites posted here at KC.  Didn't have Norseman Fernet (looks to be a local product in Minnesota), so I've tried this with Fernet Branca, CH Fernet Dogma and Letherbee Fernet, all to good effect.  Love your drink names too, which would be right at home as song titles for some prog math metal album.

• Reply to: Shadows & Tall Trees   by   6 months 3 weeks ago

I knocked the syrup down to 1 tsp and it's pretty darn tasty.