• Reply to: Spindrift, Jr.   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

I don't like things too sweet, so I increased the rum to 2 and cut the Passion fruit syrup to 1/4

• Reply to: Penicillin   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

I’ve been making this cocktail a little differently. I make a honey-ginger simple syrup,1:1 honey to water. I add sliced fiber to the syrup and simmer for a few minutes and let sit overnight to strain in the morning.

2oz blended scotch

.5oz ginger honey syrup

.5oz lemon juice

1oz islay float

I’m a big fan of it this way

• Reply to: Fanciulli Manhattan   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

The Fanciulli Manhattan is an interesting yet flawed drink, in my estimation. Why do I say this? I'm fond of all three ingredients, but when put together with the given recipe, the small amount of Fernet Branca overwhelms the other two ingredients. I used Maker's Mark bourbon and Dolin sweet vermouth for the other ingredients. The resulting cocktail I rated as 3.5.

My suggestion is to use either an overproof bourbon (such as Baker's or Basil's) or a bourbon with more overtones than Maker's Mark (such as Dickel's 8 year Tennessee sour mash, or Jim Beam black). The other alternative is to use a quality rye instead of the bourbon. For now, I'm calling the Fanciulli Manhattan a work in progress, and hope that with the changes I suggested, it will become a cocktail that will be rated consistently at a 4.0 or higher.

• Reply to: Golden Dog   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Try replacing the lillet with Bonal for more of a cold season cocktail.  Very good this way.

• Reply to: Godfather No. II   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Lightly curated: Changed instructions to avoid copyright infringement, added reference, moved credit to proper spot. Thanks!

• Reply to: Skeleton Key   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

I had my doubts about the 8 dashes of bitters, but the drink works!

• Reply to: Ectoplasm Cooler   by   7 months 3 weeks ago

Made it to use up some citron vodka and put a dash of agave syrup in to keep the sweetness down and a bit more subtle and it's fine as a quick drink after work

• Reply to: The Teddy   by   7 months 4 weeks ago

Thanks Zachary!

• Reply to: Song of Solomon   by   8 months 12 hours ago

Every bit as magical as the name implies.

• Reply to: Super Id   by   8 months 1 day ago

Made with Fernet Vallet rather than Branca (having previously made with Branca.) I think Vallet is a big improvement for this drink, such that it tastes like more than, well, just Branca.

• Reply to: The Teddy   by   8 months 2 days ago

I agree - I hate part drinks. So.... instead of 1 part bourbon and lemon soda and 3 dashes of creme de noyaux, I converted this to ounces and removed the rather sexist note.  Thanks,  Zachary

• Reply to: The Teddy   by   8 months 2 days ago

I'm confused by some of this recipe being in parts and the other in measurements. I.e., if I use 1 oz each of Bourbon and BItter lemon, do I use 2 ds of each of the bitters? If I use 2 oz each, do I use 4 ds?

• Reply to: Calabura Flip   by   8 months 3 days ago

Loved it

• Reply to: Lewis & Martin Cocktail   by   8 months 3 days ago

Balanced, but kInd of cloying. I would try again with high proof rye and cocchi or kina rather than lillet. Might actually still need a dash or rinse of absinthe so the anise doesn't get totally lost beneath the sweet banana-y flavors.

• Reply to: Black Forest Cocktail   by   8 months 5 days ago

I used Cherry Heering because ... it was there. Not bad, but we felt it needed something to round it out a little. Maybe turn it into a flip with a whole egg?

• Reply to: Black Forest Cocktail   by   8 months 6 days ago

It's worth noting for the record that Rothman and Winter cherry liqueur and Luxardo maraschino liqueur are radically different in flavor profile (though either might well work in this drink!).

• Reply to: Mad Experiment   by   8 months 6 days ago

Curated slightly to express pepper infusion better and scale from parts to a reasonably-sized drink.

• Reply to: Black Forest Cocktail   by   8 months 6 days ago

A great cocktail for bourbon lovers. I had to scramble for ingredients. Lacking Elijah Craig Bourbon (it got finished off last November) I reached for Woodford Reserve. And lacking R & W cherry liqueur, I grabbed for Luxardo liqueur. Together, these ingredients made this wonderful libation. But, I suspect that Black Forest Cocktail would have been in the 4.0 range had I the called for ingredients. As it was, I rated Black Forest Cocktail 4.5 with what I could pull down from my shelves. A great cocktail, regardless!

• Reply to: Bitter Highlander   by   8 months 1 week ago

Tried this with ginger syrup instead of honey, it was excellent.

• Reply to: Rye Tai   by   8 months 1 week ago

Curated: Changed instructions to avoid copyright infringement; added credit per link.

• Reply to: Midnight Mass   by   8 months 1 week ago

<p>
    I looked at the recipe for "Midnight Mass", and my mouth watered, but I didn't want to go through the hassles of Svenryelsdorn and end up with a less than satisfactory cocktail.

I lacked two essential ingredients for the making of "Midnight Mass". First, I didn't have Scarlet Ibis Rum, so I dug deep into my 20+ bottles of different rums, and decided upon Matusalem Rum (10 year old Cuban-style rum). It turned out to be a delicious choice.

Second, I didn't have Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter Bitters. Now I had to be creative, because while I had nearly 30 bitters, but I didn't have the right one. I decided to use ONE DASH of Scrappy's Cardamom bitters and TWO DASHES of Dead Rabbit's Orinoco bitters. Once stirred so that it was reasonably cold, I poured it into a large and cold Old Fashion glass with a LARGE ice cube. I then topped it with a large orange twist (after I had expressed the oil on top of the libation). The outcome was a libation with a smooth rum taste, with mild cardamom and various fruit notes, including orange. All in all, a do-able alternative to the ingredients I lacked. I rated this cocktail variation at 4.0.

I hope others might experiment with Midnight Mass' recipe, and comment on their outcomes. This needs to be done when you have a recipe others have enjoyed, but the essential ingredients are hard to come by (or impossible to get), and are, therefore, lacking.

• Reply to: Pressure Drop   by   8 months 1 week ago

I'll try this next with Plymouth gin ...the Old Tom approached my limit of sweet for this style of cocktail.  It will also be a fun one to experiment with my amari collection. Over all, this one is a contemporary classic in my book.

• Reply to: Fig and Thistle   by   8 months 1 week ago

Gin and Cardamaro

• Reply to: Enrico Pallazzo   by   8 months 1 week ago

Minor curation - spelling of 'Pallazzo'.

• Reply to: Silvio's Algorithm   by   8 months 1 week ago

Used St. George Dry Rye Reposado for fear that an Old Tom might be too sweet.  The result felt a little too astringent.  Would try Genever next time around.