Sombra is a brand of mezcal made in the village of San Luis del Rio, south of Oaxaca, Mexico. The Sombra company was founded by Richard Betts, a Master Sommelier, Dennis Scholl (who along with Betts owns Betts & Scholl, a wine company), and Charles Bieler.
Sombra uses the espadin variety of agave, and cookes the hearts, or piñas over a mesquite fire, imparting a strong smoky aroma and flavor to their mezcal.
Sombra is double distilled, unaged, and bottled at 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Sombra
- The Crafty and Elusive Elk — Blanco tequila, Maraschino Liqueur, Falernum, Mezcal, Orange bitters, Lime juice
- The Man Comes Around — Cynar, Brandy, Mezcal, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Mint
- El Molino — Mezcal, Palo Cortado Sherry, White Crème de Cacao, Allspice Dram
- The Big City — Mezcal, Bianco Vermouth, Zwack Unicum, Grapefruit peel
- A Beer And A Smoke — Lager, Mezcal, Lime juice, Hot sauce, Salt, Black pepper, Celery salt, Lime Zest, Orange peel