|1⁄2||oz||Islands Scotch, Talisker (Storm)|
|1⁄2||oz||Demerara Rum, El Dorado 8 (optional: espresso infused)|
|3⁄4||oz||Coffee liqueur, Bittermens New Orleans Coffee|
Stir, strain into either a coupe, up, or an old fashioned glass with a large cube/sphere. Garnish with a lemon peel, expressed, if you like a lemon peel with your espresso (I don't).
For the Islay scotch, if you want a slightly less "ashy" taste (simulating the "cigarettes"), use Bowmore 12 Year; for more, use Laphroaig 10 Year. If not using the very bitter Bittermens New Orleans coffee liqueur, I would suggest using a quality coffee liqueur, infusing the rum with whole espresso beans (a few ounces infused in a 750ml bottle for 24 hours or more), and adding a dash of either mole or coffee bitters.
While there are other fine cocktails with a similar name, I was looking to create something that amped up the smoke and bitterness factor.
- Bombardier — Rye, Campari, Coffee liqueur, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Orinoco — Rye, Bitters, Whole egg, Espresso, Rich simple syrup 2:1, Coffee
- Oh Flip — St. Lucian Rum, Cognac, Becherovka, Bitters, Whole egg, Sugar, Black pepper, Cinnamon
- Upgraded Grasshopper — Cognac, Añejo rum, Crème de Cacao, Chocolate bitters, Bitters, Cream, Mint
- Sunset Flip — Speyside Scotch, Crème de Cacao, Herbal liqueur, Bitters, Whole egg, Nutmeg
- Somnambulist — Brandy, Coffee liqueur, Irish Cream, Espresso
- Feisty Alexander — Reposado Tequila, Crème de Cacao, Cream, Nutmeg
- Entering a World of Pain — Rye, Cognac, Coffee liqueur, Ramazzotti, Bitters
- Brandy Alexander — Cognac, Crème de Cacao, Half-and-half, Nutmeg
- Apricot Flip — Cognac, Apricot liqueur, Whole egg, Simple syrup, Nutmeg