|1 1⁄2||oz||Old Tom Gin|
|1 1⁄2||oz||Sweet vermouth|
|2||ds||Bitters, Boker's (or angostura)|
Stir, strain, cocktail, orange twist
Some recipes call for dashes of Maraschino instead of the 1/4 ounce here. It is better to add sweetness or remove it by altering the Maraschino than the sweet vermouth. The "Martinez Special" as made by Andy Arrington is 3:2 Ransom Old Tom : Carpano Antica, with 1 t Luxardo Maraschino and 2 dashes of Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters, and no garnish. The T Martinez, and made by "T" of Bergamot in Somerset, MA is 1 oz each Gin and Carpano Antica, with 1 teaspoon Campari, and a dash each of Regans' Orange and Peychaud's.
From other users
- Very challenging. Strong coriander flavor from Ransom. Liked it better with some lemon and dilution.
- 2:1 vermouth to gin is more historically accurate according to Wondrich. Regan goes 2:1 gin to vermouth making it more of a sweet martini.
- The Antica and orange twist dominate, not unhappily. The "T" variation is good; strong cinnamon flavor on the finish.
- Original version is 2-1 vermouth to gin. This is a nice drink but very sweet.
- 3 ds orange bitters, 1 both gin, 2 carpano antica, 1/4 maraschino liqueur, stir, strain, orange garnish.
- Figgy Martin — Old Tom Gin, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lemon peel
- Transvaal (variant) — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Montenegro, Bitters
- Hoity-Toity — Oude genever, Sweet vermouth, Cynar, Orange peel
- Hercules — Old Tom Gin, Sweet vermouth, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Orange cream citrate
- Broken English — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Strega, Fernet Branca, Bénédictine, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange bitters, Grapefruit peel
- La Bateleur — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Strega, Cynar, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Verona — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Allspice Dram, Orange, Lemon
- Rye Gin Old Fashioned — Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Cherry Bitters, Gomme syrup, Lemon peel, Orange peel
- (Variation on) Variations on a Theme — Old Tom Gin, Cherry Liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Campari, Bitters
- Dutch Tulip — Genever, Sweet vermouth, Apricot liqueur, Orange juice