Barenjager (Bear Hunter) is a honey flavored liqueur produced in Steinhagen, Germany. The history of Barenjager dates back to 15th century East Prussia, and is a commercial formulation of a homemade spirit used by fur hunters to trap and subdue bears.
Barenjager is sometimes called Barenfang, which means "bear trap". It is now made from Mexican honey, and is 70 proof. Barenjager is a rich, golden color, is slightly syrupy, and tastes strongly of honey, with accents of spice and herbs.
Some popular cocktails containing Bärenjäger
- If You Want My Toddy — Swedish Punsch, Bärenjäger, Becherovka, Lemon juice
- Keyser Suze — Bärenjäger, Gin, Suze, Cognac, Lemon juice, Orange peel
- B&B Také — Becherovka, Bärenjäger
- B&B&B — Bärenjäger, Becherovka, Brandy
- The Bottom Line — Islands Scotch, Manzanilla sherry, Bärenjäger, Bitters, Orange bitters, CioCiaro