Cointreau is a producer of Triple Sec, a type of orange liqueur. The history of Cointreau dates back to 1875, when Edouard Cointreau, son of a distillery owner in Angers, France, first distilled a clear spirit based on the maceration of dried bitter and sweet orange peels.
While Cointreau was not the first Triple Sec to be distilled, it is certainly the most popular, even though the words Triple Sec were dropped from the label years ago.
The Cointreau brand was bought in 1989 by Remy Martin, a producer of Cognac.
Cointreau is a clear, orange scented and flavored spirit that is 80 proof. It louches a bare opalescent white with the addition of water. Cointreau has a very pure, delicate flavor. Thhe orange peels that make up Cointreau are from Spain, Brazil, Haiti, and Ghana.
In 2008, Cointreau Noir was introduced, which is made with a base of Remy Martin Cognac instead of a neutral spirit base. It also is flavored with vanilla and nuts, and, like the original Cointreau, is 80 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Cointreau
- Vampari — Blanco tequila, Campari, Triple sec, Blood orange peel, Blood orange
- Golden Dream (Sam Ross) — Triple sec, Galliano, Orange juice, Cream
- Eucalyptus Martini — Gin, Triple sec, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Egg white
- Break Bumper — Bourbon, Triple sec, Bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Sparkling white wine, Lemon peel, Rosemary
- Gun Club Shrub — Gold rum, Triple sec, Pineapple juice, Orange oleo-saccharum, White balsamic vinegar
- Whispering Pines — Gin, Triple sec, Bitters, Egg white, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Countrypolitan — Corn Whiskey, Triple sec, Lime juice, Cranberry juice
- Cosmopolitan Milk Punch — Vodka, Tawny port, Triple sec, Tonic water, Cardamom, Cranberry juice, Milk, Star anise, Lime juice, Sugar, Bay leaf, Clove, Pomegranate molasses, Orange peel, Grapefruit peel
- Citrus Fever — Spiced Rum, Light rum, Triple sec, Cardamom bitters, Grapefruit syrup, Lemon juice
- Cupid's Revenge Cocktail — Brandy, Champagne, Triple sec, Pomegranate Liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Maraschino cherry, Lemon juice