Cocchi (co-KEY) is a producer of aromatized wines, sweet vermouth and Barolo chinato based in the town of Asti, in the Piedmont region of Italy. The Cocchi company was founded in 1891 by Guilio Cocchi, who was a a bartender in Florence before moving to Asti and becoming a sparkling wine maker and distiller.
By 1913, Cocchi had opened a number of tasting rooms throughout the Piedmont. In the late 1970's, the company was bought by the Bava family, who run it today.
Today, Cocchi makes a number of sparkling and still wines that have limited distribution. They also make three products that have a wider distribution through Haus Alpenz: Cocchi Americano, Cocchi Vermouth di Torino, and Cocchi Barolo Chinato.
Cocchi Americano is a white aperitif wine that is has a base of Moscato d'Asti, and is infused with herbs and spices. It is similar, but more bitter than Lillet, and some feel it is an appropriate replacement for the defunct Kina Lillet. It is a pale yellow color and clear, with aromas of citrus peels, Muscat wine, and an herbal, bitter accord. It is 33 proof.
Cocchi Americano should be treated like dry vermouth. One opened, it should be kept in the refrigerator and drunk within a few weeks.
Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is a classic example of the Turin style of sweet vermouth, with its base of Moscato d'Asti, and further flavorings of cocoa, rhubarb, and citrus. Cocchi's vermouth is not as complex and vanilla-flavored as Carpano Antica Formula, but is also less bitter than Punt e Mes.
Cocchi Barolo Chinato is a digestif based on wine from the DOCG of Barolo in the Piedmont. The wine base is infused with aromatics like rhubarb, ginger, China Calissaja bark, and warm spices, then bittered with quinine and gentian and lightly fortified. All Barolo Chinato are intensely aromatic and can take over cocktails unless caution is used.
Some popular cocktails containing Cocchi Americano
- Off The Vine — Gin, Vodka, Aromatized wine, Celery bitters, Lemon juice
- Summer in Manhattan — Rye, Amaro, Dry vermouth, Aromatized wine, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Price of Prudence — Gin, Aromatized wine, Dry vermouth, Honey Liqueur, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Cocchi Cola — Whiskey, Aromatized wine, Amaro Nonino, Bitters
- Colette — Sparkling rosé wine, Blanco tequila, Cappelletti Aperitivo, Aromatized wine, Orange bitters, Herbal liqueur, Grapefruit peel
- Gone Camping — Rye, Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur, Aromatized wine, Genepy, Amaro, Rosemary, Orange peel
- Honey & Thistle — Cardamaro, Aromatized wine, Amaro Sibilla, Tonic water, Orange peel
- Mosquitera — Aromatized wine, Blanco tequila, Soda water, Lime juice, Rosemary, Lime
- Cukes of July — Gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Falernum, Aromatized wine, Bitters, Lime juice, Club soda, Cucumber, Dill
- Full Windsor — Champagne, Gin, Campari, Aromatized wine, Lemon juice, Mint syrup, Mint