Coffee liqueur is a type of liqueur flavored with coffee beans and, sometimes, other herbs and spices. While coffee liqueur is often homemade, there are many commercial brands, which offer a wide variety of base spirits, bottling proofs, and flavor profiles.
Kahlua, Kamora, and Patron Cafe are common brands of coffee liqueur. Kahlua is rum based and not only makes an "Especial" version which is higher proof and uses better coffee beans, but also flavors such as vanilla, mocha, hazelnut, and peppermint mocha, which mimic popular coffee creamer flavors. Patron Cafe, not surprisingly, is tequila based.
In smaller, more regional brands, Firelit produces a coffee liqueur with coffee from small, quality oriented roasters, and matches the flavor profile of the coffee to the base spirit, which is often grappa.
Coffee liqueurs add roundness and a roasted depth to cocktails, but they overpower other flavors quickly.
Some popular cocktails containing Coffee liqueur
- Somnambulist — Brandy, Coffee liqueur, Irish Cream, Espresso
- Spanish Coffee Stout — Stout, Añejo rum, Demerara Rum, Orange liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Licor 43, Whipped cream, Coffee
- Mr. Swizzle — Demerara Rum, Coffee liqueur, Falernum, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Lemon
- Otoño Cocktail — Irish whiskey, Pacharan, Coffee liqueur, Bitters
- Bahama Mama A Moi — Dark rum, Coffee liqueur, Coconut liqueur, Overproof rum, Vanilla liqueur, Bitters, Pineapple juice, Lemon juice, Grenadine, Pineapple
- Walnut Room — Bourbon, Walnut Liqueur, Amaro, Coffee liqueur, Bitters, Orange peel
- Early Bird — Rum, Coffee liqueur, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Cherry
- Bermuda Highway — Dark rum, Curaçao, Becherovka, Coffee liqueur, Allspice Dram, Lime juice, Orgeat
- Irish Albidum — Irish whiskey, Allspice Dram, Maraschino Liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Black pepper tincture, Bitters, Vanilla extract, Nutmeg
- Cafe Colada — Jamaican rum, Crème de Banane, Coffee liqueur, Pineapple juice, Coconut cream, Orange juice, Lime juice, Nutmeg