Dry apricot brandy is a type of fruit brandy made from apricots that are fermented and distilled into a clear spirit that is at least 80 proof at bottling. The best and most widely available commercial apricot brandy is from the Purkhart distillery in Austria (sold under the Blume Marillen brand, and imported by Haus Alpenz.
Austria is the epicenter for production of apricot brandy, with hundreds of small producers, most of whom do not export their product (due to tax disincentives designed to favor large producers). Some of these smaller producers include Nikolaihof Wachau (a biodynamic winery), Hans Reisetbauer, and Rochelt. Apricot brandy of this type has a strong aroma of apricots, with a buttery-creamy mouthfeel and flavor.
Now... here's a couple of things dry apricot brandy is not: apricot brandy is not apricot liqueur (like Marie Brizard Apry). These are usually very sweet, and low alcohol. Apriot brandy is not apricot "flavored" brandy (like Hiram Walker or Bols). These are usually sweetened and artificially flavored with apricots.
In the 19th century in the United States, it was common to find peach or apricot brandy, which was brandy rested on the pits of those fruits. These brandies were highly prized, and rather expensive.
Some popular cocktails containing Dry apricot brandy
- John the Baptist — Irish whiskey, White Crème de Cacao, Dry apricot brandy, Absinthe, Pineapple juice, Pistachio syrup, Half-and-half, Coconut cream, Mint, Nutmeg
- High Chicago — Dry apricot brandy, Mastika, Pineau des Charentes, Curaçao, Suze, Kummel, Orange peel
- World's Greatest Hotel Nacional — Light rum, Dry apricot brandy, Bitters, Pineapple juice, Lime juice, Cane syrup
- Let's Go Get Stoned — Jamaican rum, Dry apricot brandy, Herbal liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Lime juice, Pineapple syrup
- Macondo — Nicaraguan Rum, Dry apricot brandy, Crème de Banane, Cane syrup, Pineapple juice, Lime juice
- Waldorf Special (slight variation) — Apricot liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Dry apricot brandy, Lime juice
- Altazor — Pisco, Elderflower liqueur, Dry apricot brandy, Lemon juice, Pineapple syrup
- Habibi — Dry apricot brandy, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice
- In Blume — Dry apricot brandy, Bianco Vermouth, Egg white, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Salt
- Pineapple Apricot Tropical — Pisco, Dry apricot brandy, Bitters, Lime juice, Pineapple Gum Syrup, Simple syrup, Mint