Dry apricot brandy is a type of fruit [ingredient=brandy brandy] made from apricots that are fermented and distilled into a clear spirit that is at least 80 proof at bottling. The best and most widely available commercial apricot brandy is from the Purkhart distillery in Austria (sold under the Blume Marillen brand, and imported by Haus Alpenz.
Austria is the epicenter for production of apricot brandy, with hundreds of small producers, most of whom do not export their product (due to tax disincentives designed to favor large producers). Some of these smaller producers include Nikolaihof Wachau (a biodynamic winery), Hans Reisetbauer, and Rochelt. Apricot brandy of this type has a strong aroma of apricots, with a buttery-creamy mouthfeel and flavor.
Now... here's a couple of things dry apricot brandy is not: apricot brandy is not apricot liqueur (like Marie Brizard Apry). These are usually very sweet, and low alcohol. Apriot brandy is not apricot "flavored" brandy (like Hiram Walker or Bols). These are usually sweetened and artificially flavored with apricots.
In the 19th century in the United States, it was common to find peach or apricot brandy, which was brandy rested on the pits of those fruits. These brandies were highly prized, and rather expensive.
Some popular cocktails containing Dry apricot brandy
- Waldorf Special (slight variation) — Apricot liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Dry apricot brandy, Lime juice
- Habibi — Dry apricot brandy, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice
- Can't Get There From Here — Bourbon, Dry apricot brandy, Apricot liqueur, Elderflower liqueur, Bitters, Lemon juice
- Match Point — Gin, Manzanilla sherry, Dry apricot brandy, Pear eau de vie, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Orange flower water
- Bel-ami — Dry apricot brandy, Suze, Herbal liqueur
- President of Vice — Añejo rum, Bianco Vermouth, Dry apricot brandy, Curaçao, Amontillado Sherry, Peychaud's Bitters, Orange bitters, Orange flower syrup, Orange peel
- Gin Blossom — Gin, Dry apricot brandy, Bianco Vermouth, Orange bitters
- Sunny Disposition — Blanco tequila, Suze, Dry apricot brandy, Bitters, Lemon juice
- Aunt Emily — Calvados, Gin, Dry apricot brandy, Orange juice, Grenadine
- Hemingway stirred nonsense — Haitian Rum, Rosato Vermouth, Dry apricot brandy, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Orange cream citrate, Orange flower water