Pineapple syrup is a kind of simple syrup that takes advantage of pineapple's texturizing effect to produce a sweet-and-sour, musky syrup that is not only a classic Tiki ingredient, but also has uses in many early 20th century cocktails.
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
To make pineapple syrup, cut up one whole, ripe pineapple into chunks and place into a large glass bowl. Add 1 cup of white sugar, stir to coat, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, make a 2:1 simple syrup with 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water and set aside. In a blender, add the pineapple and all the liquid that has formed in the bottom of the bowl. Pulse to combine and to break down the pineapple. Add the warm simple syrup to the blender, blend briefly to combine, and pour into a clean bottle through a strainer lined with cheesecloth, pressing on the solids to extract all the liquid. Preserve with a few ounces of vodka or white rum, and store in the refrigerator.
Makes about 1 liter of pineapple syrup
Some popular cocktails containing Pineapple syrup
- Let's Go Get Stoned — Jamaican rum, Dry apricot brandy, Herbal liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Lime juice, Pineapple syrup
- Brave Margot — Campari, Virgin Islands Rum, Falernum, Fernet Branca, Absinthe, Lime juice, Pineapple syrup
- Six Figures — Cognac, Calvados, Pear eau de vie, Herbal liqueur, Maraschino Liqueur, Orange liqueur, Bitters, Pineapple syrup, Lemon juice, Lime juice
- Altazor — Pisco, Elderflower liqueur, Dry apricot brandy, Lemon juice, Pineapple syrup
- Flowering Fields — Rye, Absinthe, Orange bitters, Herbal liqueur, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice, Lime
- Antigua Black — Cynar 70, Navy strength rum, Allspice Dram, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice, Lime peel
- Burnished Brass — Cognac, Amontillado Sherry, Bénédictine, Bitters, Lemon juice, Pineapple syrup, Lemon
- Moko Jumbie — Jamaican rum, Cardamaro, Absinthe, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice
- Habibi — Dry apricot brandy, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice
- Handsome Bob — Bourbon, Cynar, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Pineapple syrup