Regans' Orange Bitters #6 is a brand of cocktail bitters invented in the early 1990's by Gary Regan, who based his original recipe on a recipe in Charles Baker's The Gentleman's Companion: An Exotic Drinking Book. The recipe includes orange peel, cardamom and coriander along with the classic bittering agents cinchona bark, quassia and gentian root. They are now made by the Buffalo Trace distillery.
There were two other versions,#4 was homemade and too bitter and #5 was rejected by the TTB for being potable! Regans' Orange Bitters #6 is a pale orange in color and clear. It smells of bitter oranges and honey, with a flowery topnote, but the palate is driven by an assertively peppery bitterness that cuts through the sweetness of the citrus.
Some popular cocktails containing Regans' orange bitters
- The Lady Chesdin — Gin, Dry vermouth, Orange bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Bitters, Celery bitters, Cucumber, Onion, Sugar cube, Lime
- Smoke Gets in Your Agav-eyes — Tequila, Mezcal, Falernum, Orange bitters, Herbal liqueur, Lime juice, Agave syrup, Orange peel
- Miraflores — Pisco, Orange bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Bitters, Grapefruit juice, Honey syrup, Egg white, Lime juice
- The Search for Delicious — Cynar, Sweet vermouth, Orange bitters, Lemon juice, Lemon peel, Salt
- Mountains, Rivers, and Desert — Reposado Tequila, Aromatized wine, Gran Classico, Orange bitters, Orange peel
- Jackson Ward — Rye, Amaro Nardini, Sweet vermouth, Wormwood bitters, Orange bitters, Lemon peel
- Flowering Fields — Rye, Absinthe, Orange bitters, Herbal liqueur, Pineapple syrup, Lime juice, Lime
- The Extra Mile — Bourbon, Herbal liqueur, Aromatized wine, Orange bitters, Ancho Reyes Verde chile liqueur
- Pig's Punch — Rye, Bénédictine, Orange bitters, Apple cider, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Sage
- Ginger Sidecar — Ginger liqueur, Cognac, Orange liqueur, Orange bitters, Lime juice