Tamarind is a sticky flesh within a seed pod. It is available fresh, which case the paper-like shell, seeds, and stringy fibers must be removed. It may also be found as a solid paste, or as a liquid concentrate (pictured).
Tamarind is quite tart by itself, and may be used as an acidifier in cocktails, or sweetened and used as a fruit. It tastes like a hypothetical blend of dried orange peel, quince paste and cumin.
Some popular cocktails containing Tamarind
- Spiced Tamarind Buck — Rhum Agricole, Triple sec, Falernum, Bitters, Ginger beer, Club soda, Lime juice, Tamarind, Mint
- Orange and Tamarind Elixer — Water, Orange, Tamarind, Cilantro, Coriander
- Dusty Road Chelada — Beer, Mezcal, Lime juice, Tamarind, Agave syrup, Lime
- Kashmiri Caipirinha — Cachaça, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Tamarind, Turmeric, Chili pepper
- Bombay Sour — Bourbon, Simple syrup, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Tamarind, Ginger, Cardamom