Bombay is a brand of London Dry gin made by the Bombay company.
Bombay Sapphire is made by the Bombay company, but distributed by Bacardi Limited. Launched in 1987, Sapphire is based on a 1761 recipe that used ten botanicals: almonds, lemon peel, licorice, juniper berry, orris root, angelica, coriander, cassia, cubeb, and grains of paradise. It is softer and more delicate (i.e. less junipery) than regular Bombay
Sapphire is vapor infused (where the herbs and spices are placed in a wire mesh basket in the distillate stream) rather than macerated, giving a more delicate flavor profile to the spirit. Bombay Sapphire is 94 proof.
Bombay Sapphire is named after the Star of Bombay, a 182 carat violet-blue star sapphire once owned by Mary Pickford.
Some popular cocktails containing Bombay Sapphire
- Downfall — Gin, Dark Crème de Cacao, Lemon bitters, Grapefruit juice, Mint syrup, Saffron bitters, Orange flower water
- Right Word — Gin, Aromatized wine, Elderflower liqueur, Lime juice, Lime
- La Mula — Gin, Campari, Lemon juice, Ginger beer, Guava syrup, Thyme
- Suzette — Suze, Sweet vermouth, Gin, Orange peel
- Heisenberg's Blue Sky — Gin, Elderflower liqueur, Blue Curaçao, Bitters, Lime juice
- The Petunia — Gin, Herbal liqueur, Cognac VSOP, Peychaud's Bitters, Absinthe, Grapefruit juice, Butterfly pea powder, Mint
- Transvaal (variant) — Gin, Sweet vermouth, Amaro Montenegro, Bitters
- Forbidden Fruit (Ran Duan) — Gin, Campari, Allspice Dram, Passion fruit syrup, Lemon juice, Egg white, Yuzu juice
- Single Father's Day — Gin, Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Blackberry Juice
- Juniper Flip — Gin, Elderflower liqueur, Grapefruit juice, Wild hibiscus syrup, Whole egg