Buffalo Trace is a producer of Bourbon and other whisky based in Frankfort, Kentucky and owned by the Sazerac company. Like many distilleries in the United Stated, Buffalo Trace has a long, complex, and convoluted history. Distilling at the site began some time before 1773, but it wasn't until 1812 that Harrison Blanton built a proper place to distill whisky. In 1857, the distillery was modernized, and retrofit to use steam power.Edmund Taylor bought the distillery in 1870, and named it O.F.C. A short eight years later, he sold the OFC distillery and the Old Oscar Pepper distillery to George T. Stagg.
As with most of the distilleries in the United States, Prohibition brought drastic changes to the market. The distillery was able to obtain a permit to make medicinal spirits, which meant it was one of four in the country to stay open. After Prohibition ended, Albert Blanton assumed control of the distillery, and brought it into the modern era. In 1992, the company was sold to the Sazerac company of Louisiana.
In 1999, the distillery was renamed Buffalo Trace, as it was thought that the site was used as a ford across the Kentucky River. A few months later, they introduced Buffalo Trace Bourbon. They also produce Ancient Age, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Elmer T. Lee, George T. Stagg, Hancock's President's Reserve, Old Charter, McAfee's Benchmark, Rock Hill Farms, Van Winkle, W.L. Weller, Sazerac, and Thomas Handy whiskies, and Rain and CLIX vodkas.
The Buffalo Trace distillery uses two mash bills (the blend of grains used to produce their whiskies): Mash Bill #1 is around 80% corn, with some rye and barley. The Buffalo Trace brand uses this mash bill. The second is a higher percentage of rye, with about 70% corn. Buffalo Trace is bottled at 90 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Buffalo Trace
- Sioux City Slugger — Whiskey, Peychaud's Bitters, Demerara syrup
- Arrowhead — Bourbon, Eau de vie of Douglas Fir, Pear liqueur, Bitters, Islay Scotch, Maple syrup, Lemon peel
- Pink Floyd Eclipse — Bourbon, Madeira, Jamaican rum, Amaro Montenegro, Bitters, Honey syrup, Orange peel
- Dream Catcher — Bourbon, Zucca, Rhubarb bitters, Lemon juice, Strawberry syrup
- Fly-By-Knight — Red wine, Bourbon, Amaro Nonino, Aperol, Lemon juice, Egg white
- Six Barrel Shotgun — Gin, Bourbon, Puerto Rican Rum, Sweet vermouth, Bitters, Simple syrup, Lemon juice
- Peat Rose — Apple brandy, Bourbon, Bitters, Grenadine, Lemon juice, Lemon peel, Scotch
- Warehouse C — Bourbon, Bitters, Lemon juice, Strawberry, Lime juice, Orgeat, Cinnamon syrup, Ginger syrup
- Southern Goth — Scotch, Bourbon, Peach liqueur, Cynar 70, Peach bitters, Lemon juice, Honey syrup, Lemon
- D is For Dangerous — Bourbon, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Chocolate mint, Champagne