Linie is a brand of aquavit produced and bottled in Oslo, Norway by Arcus A.S. Linie's base spirit is distilled from potatoes, then flavored with caraway seed, sweet fennel, dill, star anise, and coriander. It is aged in used Oloroso sherry casks for twelve months in Norway, then placed on the deck of a ship that travels through the Panama canal twice in four and a half months.
This unique aging process began not as an intentional experiment, but as a sales failure. In 1805, the ship Throndhjems Prøve took fish, cheese, ham, and aquavit from Norway to Batavia, in Indonesia. When the aquavit proved unpalatable, it was brought back to Norway, where it was found to have mellowed and integrated from the changes in temperature and the rocking motion of the ship.
Linie is a moderate golden yellow color, and has a faint old woody/caramelly aroma on top of subtle green notes, caraway, and licorice. It is rounded over and soft, with more green/rye bread notes on the finish. Linie is bottled at 83 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Linie
- Us and Them — Rye, Aquavit, Bianco Vermouth, Absinthe, Cucumber
- Norwegian Plum — Aquavit, Bitters, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Fault Line — Aquavit, Aromatized wine, Cynar, Carrot Eau-de-vie, Orange peel
- Genever Convention — Oude genever, Sloe gin, Aquavit, Curaçao, Bitters, Gomme syrup, Brandied cherry
- Argyle — Aquavit, Dry vermouth, Amaro Meletti, Maraschino Liqueur, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Winter Is Coming — Aquavit, Amaro Montenegro, Lemon juice, Grapefruit juice, Simple syrup, Club soda, Crème de Violette
- Saboteur! — Aquavit, Apple brandy, Fino sherry, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Same Same But Different — Gran Classico, Cognac, Aquavit, Bénédictine, Manzanilla sherry, Bitters
- Bad Seed — Aquavit, Amaro Abano, Cynar, Lemon juice
- Litigious Rock — Aquavit, Herbal liqueur, Aperol, Lime juice