Linie is a brand of aquavit produced and bottled in Oslo, Norway by Arcus A.S. Linie's base spirit is distilled from potatoes, then flavored with caraway seed, sweet fennel, dill, star anise, and coriander. It is aged in used Oloroso sherry casks for twelve months in Norway, then placed on the deck of a ship that travels through the Panama canal twice in four and a half months.
This unique aging process began not as an intentional experiment, but as a sales failure. In 1805, the ship Throndhjems Prøve took fish, cheese, ham, and aquavit from Norway to Batavia, in Indonesia. When the aquavit proved unpalatable, it was brought back to Norway, where it was found to have mellowed and integrated from the changes in temperature and the rocking motion of the ship.
Linie is a moderate golden yellow color, and has a faint old woody/caramelly aroma on top of subtle green notes, caraway, and licorice. It is rounded over and soft, with more green/rye bread notes on the finish. Linie is bottled at 83 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Linie
- Shift Drink 6/25 — Aquavit, Sweet vermouth, Cardamaro, Islay Scotch
- Bad Seed — Cynar, Amaro Abano, Aquavit, Lemon juice
- The Bitter Nipple — Blended Scotch, Sweet vermouth, Aquavit, Wormwood bitters, Lemon peel
- Old Bay Ridge — Rye, Aquavit, Bitters, Lemon peel, Sugar cube
- Occidental — Aquavit, Orange liqueur, Amaro Nonino, Fernet Branca, Orange peel