Pedro Ximénez is a type of sherry made from raisined Pedro Ximénez grapes. These raisins are fermented, then the fermentation is halted and the alcohol is brought up to around 17%. The barrels of wine are then placed into the oxidative side of the sherry-making program. Over time in the solera system, the wines turn brown and oxidize.
Pedro Ximénez sherry is dark brown and opaque. It is intense and thick, with strong flavors of molasses or cane syrup. Some Pedro Ximénez sherries can top 400 grams of sugar per liter of wine. As such, they're firmly dessert wines, and pair well with desserts such as gingerbread, stick toffee pudding, or flan.
Pedro Ximénez is almost indestructible. Open bottles can last years without showing any signs of oxidation.
Some popular cocktails containing Pedro Ximénez Sherry
- Lankershim Fizz — Gin, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Soda water, Lemon juice, Simple syrup, Egg white, Lemon peel
- Bark at the Moon — Rum, Rye, Averna, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup
- Spanish Coffee Stout — Stout, Añejo rum, Demerara Rum, Orange liqueur, Coffee liqueur, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Licor 43, Whipped cream, Coffee
- Slowly Goes the Night — Rye, Mezcal, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Amaro, Bitters, Grapefruit peel
- Dark Trilogy — Amargo-Vallet, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Fernet Vallet, Orange peel
- Importer — Añejo tequila, Amaro Montenegro, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Amontillado Sherry, Bitters, Orange peel
- The Smokey Old Quartermaster — Añejo rum, Speyside Scotch, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Islay Scotch, Chocolate bitters
- A-go Flip — Bitters, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Dominican Rum, Whole egg, Demerara syrup, Cinnamon
- PPX — Cognac, Rye, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Cynar, Bitters, Mezcal, Orange peel
- Riddles in the Dark — Rye, Sweet vermouth, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Bitters, Amaro Nardini, Cherry Liqueur, Lemon peel