Pernod is a producer of [ingredient=pastis pastis] and [ingredient=absinthe absinthe] based near the town of Pontalier in the south of France. Pernod was originally an absinthe distillery, founded in 1798 by a Major Dubied, who hired a distiller named Henri-Louis Pernod to make an absinthe based on the original Swiss recipe.
By 1855, the grandsons of Henri-Louis were the leaders of absinthe production in France, riding the rising popularity of that spirit. As reports of absinthe's hallucinogenic properties became sensationalized at the turn of the 20th century, the backlash led to the banning of absinthe in most countries around the world. In 1915, the Pernod distillery shut down, reopening five years later as a pastis producer, an anise flavored liqueur made without wormwood, and bottled at 80 proof.
Pernod is golden in color, strongly anise flavored, and somewhat sweet. It is 80 proof. In 2007, the importation of absinthe into the United States became legal again, and Pernod began bringing in their original absinthe recipe, which is more green in color, contains wormwood, and is 138 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Pernod
- Zombie — Jamaican rum, Puerto Rican Rum, Demerara Rum, Falernum, Bitters, Pastis, Crushed ice, Lime juice, Grapefruit juice, Cinnamon syrup, Grenadine, Mint
- Appetizer a l'italienne (Revised) — Sweet vermouth, Fernet Branca, Pastis, Lemon
- Stormtrooper — Rum, Falernum, Bitters, Pastis, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Ginger syrup
- Doctor Funk (Don the Beachcomber) — Light rum, Pastis, Soda water, Lime juice, Grenadine
- Hedgehog in the Fog — Pastis, Soda water, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Mint
- Black Star Line — Gin, Cassis, Pastis, Bitters, Club soda, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Star anise
- 21st Century — Blanco tequila, Crème de Cacao, Pastis, Lemon juice
- Beryl — Gin, Vodka, Herbal liqueur, Pastis, Celery bitters, Star anise
- Broken Shoe Shiner — Pastis, Aperol, Bénédictine, Pineapple juice, Lemon juice, Egg white, Rose water
- French Cola — Averna, Pastis, Soda water, Lemon juice, Lemon peel