Salt Solution is salt dissolved into water. It can be used to enhance savory flavors in cocktails, and to increase the perception of bitter, mineral, or sour flavors.
Salt is one of the five primary flavors (along with sweet, sour, bitter, and umami -- savoryness).
Some popular cocktails containing Salt Solution
- Black Bowtie Gimlet — Gin, Bitters, Salt Solution, Lime juice, Simple syrup, Squid ink
- Kombu Holler — Corn Whiskey, Bitters, Lime peel, Lime juice, Kombu syrup, Saline
- Nevermore — Mezcal, Gran Classico, Averna, Orange bitters, Maple syrup, Orange peel, Salt Solution
- It Wants What It Wants — Blended Scotch, Campari, Triple sec, Dry vermouth, Islay Scotch, Orange bitters, Peychaud's Bitters, Salt Solution
- The Black Stallion Sets Sail — Virgin Islands Rum, Aromatized wine, Campari, Fernet Branca, Salt Solution, Orange peel