My Jack London-named mashup of a Frisco and an Alaska -- a tribute to two waves of American gold rushes. Created at Our Fathers in Allston, MA.
|1 1⁄4||oz||Old Tom Gin (I also have made this with London Dry Gin.)|
|1||twst||Lemon peel (As garnish.)|
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with lemon oil from a twist. In later iterations, I have garnished with the twist, so either option is fine.
Lemon, pine, honey, malt, rye spice, and minty herbal. The spirit duo here was based off a pairing in a house cocktail that worked rather elegantly: Gin Lane Old Tom Gin and Rittenhouse Bonded Rye. Feel free to use London Dry Gin for that's what I used after I left Our Fathers.
At Our Fathers, I did a mashup of two stirred drinks: the Alaska and the Frisco. The Frisco is the lesser known variation of the Frisco Sour that lacks citrus that I traced back to Boothby's 1934 book. What links the recipes together are two factors: first, the structure of spirit balanced by liqueur (the Alaska does have orange bitters while the Frisco does not (with Angostura, the Frisco becomes a Monte Carlo)), and second, both were sites of American gold rushes. For a name, I dubbed this one after a Jack London book, Call of the Wild, set in the more Northern rush.
From other users
- Made with High West 2x & Beefeater. Tasting notes are accurate. The gin and whiskey marry well, perhaps surprisingly. Sweet herbs then spice.
- Green Chartreuse
- I used Chemist's Barrel-rested gin thinking this would be a good spot for it, and it really shone in this drink.
- Honey, pine, some burn from the rye. Used Old Overholt, Beefeater and Green Chartreuse.
- 221b — Cognac, Gin, Bénédictine, Ruby Port, Bitters, Tea
- Big Ben — Rye, Genever, Bénédictine, Orange bitters
- The Pretender — Rye, Old Tom Gin, Sweet vermouth, Crème de mure, Bitters, Lemon peel
- Ampersand Cocktail — Sweet vermouth, Old Tom Gin, Cognac, Orange bitters
- Tommy Appleseed — Apple brandy, Old Tom Gin, Cherry Liqueur, Orange bitters, Islay Scotch, Demerara syrup
- Spring Flinger — Gin, Cognac, Calvados, Triple sec, Mezcal, Cucumber, Lime peel
- Butcher Cocktail — Scotch, Gin, Sweet vermouth
- Ghost of the Pine — Walnut Liqueur, Zirbenz Stone Pine Liqueur, Rye, Orange bitters, Mezcal
- Silver Nail — Blended Scotch, Gin, Drambuie, Lemon juice, Lemon peel
- Golden Dawn — Gin, Calvados, Apricot liqueur, Orange juice, Grenadine