Averna is a digestif [ingredient=amaro amaro] from Sicily. It was invented in 1868 by Salvatore Averna, and is primarily citrus flavored, but also contains other herbs and roots. It is colored with caramel.
Averna is moderately sweet and moderately bitter, with a strong orange flavor. It is 64 proof. It is similar in flavor profile to [ingredient=ramazzotti Ramazzotti] (but more orangey), and [ingredient=amer-picon Amer Picon] (but less bitter).
Some popular cocktails containing Averna
- The Civil Litigation — Brandy, Aquavit, Licor 43, Averna, Grapefruit bitters, Caperitif, Orange peel
- new in fashion — Bourbon, Averna, Cherry lambic beer, Sugar, Orange
- brown is the new black — Stout, Virgin Islands Rum, Dark rum, Averna, Bénédictine, Bitters, Whole egg
- Bark at the Moon — Rum, Rye, Averna, Pedro Ximénez Sherry, Bitters, Cinnamon syrup
- Season Pass — Averna, Coconut liqueur, Jamaican rum, Tequila, Lemon juice
- Coffee's For Closers — Coffee liqueur, Averna, Bénédictine, Whole egg, Nutmeg
- The Sherried Cherry — Speyside Scotch, Cherry Liqueur, Averna, Amaro
- Sucker in a 3 (three) piece — Cognac, Rye, Averna, Bénédictine, Bitters, Lemon peel, Orange peel
- am-am sour (amaretto-amaro) — Amaretto, Averna, Overproof rum, Lemon juice, Egg white, Simple syrup, Orange peel
- Earthbound Cocktail — Rye, Averna, Sweet vermouth, Ginger liqueur, Amaro Sibilla, Bitters