Bulleit is a brand of [ingredient=bourbon Bourbon] and rye [ingredient=whiskey whiskey] owned by Diageo and made at two distilleries: the Bourbon is made at the Kirin/Four Roses distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky while the rye is made at LDI in Indiana.
The Bulleit story goes back to the 1830's, when Augustus Bulleit, a tavern owner, started distilling Bourbon. In 1860, Augustus mysteriously vanished while transporting barrels of his Bourbon from Kentucky to New Orleans. In 1987, his great, great grandson Tom Bulleit decided to revive the label, and recreated the 1830's formula. He is the Master Distiller for Bulleit.
In 1997, two years before the first release of Bulleit Bourbon, the brand was sold to Seagram's. With their breakup, the Bulleit brand was aquired by Diageo.
Bulleit's Bourbon has a high percentage of rye in the mash bill, around 28%. It is aged for around six years in high toast American oak barrels.
In April, 2011 Bulleit released their second product, a rye whiskey. With a grain bill of 95% rye and 5% malted barley, Bulleit's rye is firmly in the dry, green, floral-spicy camp, with aromas of tropical fruit and sweet American oak on top of a green, floral, almost medicinal spicyness. It is aged for around four years in high toast American oak barrels.
Both Bulleit's Bourbon and rye are 90 proof.
Some popular cocktails containing Bulleit
- Clemen-thyme Sour — Bourbon, Amaro Montenegro, Lemon juice, Citrus fruit, Egg white, Sugar, Thyme
- The Deliverance — Bourbon, Calvados, Fernet Branca, Maple syrup
- Zaya Shipwreck — Rum, Bourbon, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Lone Wolf — Bourbon, Averna, Bitters, Lemon juice, Gomme syrup
- The Ninth Ward — Bourbon, Falernum, Elderflower liqueur, Peychaud's Bitters, Lime juice, Orange
- The Book Deal — Bourbon, Campari, Cynar, Fernet Branca, Bitters, Cherry, Cherry syrup
- Mustache Ride — Bourbon, Cynar, Allspice Dram, Lemon juice, Grade B maple syrup, Cherry, Lemon peel
- Mancini — Bourbon, Chinato, Crème de Cacao, Bitters, Orange peel
- Montreux — Bourbon, Amaro, Orange bitters
- Halcyon — Bourbon, Cynar, Walnut Liqueur, Licor 43, Cherry Liqueur, Absinthe, Salt, Orange peel