Clément is a [ingredient=rum rum] producer based on the French island of Martinique. Founded in 1887 by Homere Clément, who brought classical cognac distilling techniques to the production of rum, and is considered the first producer of rhum agricole.
Rhum agricole is made from sugar cane juice, instead of the byproducts of sugar production like molasses or cane syrup.
Clément rhums have been granted Appelation d'Origine Controlee Martinique status by the French government.
The Clément line is broad and high quality. Their production includes a white rhum, Premier Canne, an amber rhum called VSOP, which is aged for one year in small French oak, then in recharred, used Bourbon barrels for three years. Moving up a step is the Cuvee Homere Clément, a blend of old vintage rhums. At the top of their production is an XO rhum, which is a blend of vintages 1976, 1970, and 1952.
Clément is also famous for a spiced orange liqueur called [ingredient=clement-creole-shrubb Créole Shrubb], which is a blend of white and aged rhums, "Créole spices", and orange peels. These flavorings are macerated in the base spirit, then filled into a barrel and topped off with cane syrup to age.
Some popular cocktails containing Clément
- Pisse Tafia — Martinique Rum, Herbal liqueur, Bitters, Cider, Lime juice, Cane syrup
- Pay Day — Orange liqueur, Rhum Agricole, Elderflower liqueur, Ginger beer, Simple syrup, Strawberry, Lime
- Fay Wray — Haitian Rum, Cognac, Crème de Banane, Martinique Rum, Lime juice, Demerara syrup, Lime, Banana, Mint
- El Capitan — Barbados Rum, Rhum Agricole, Bianco Vermouth, Curaçao, Crème de Banane, Orange bitters
- Caribbean Royale — Martinique Rum, Fino sherry, Crème de Banane
- French Amérique Sour — Pineapple rum, Rhum Agricole, Bitters, Bigallet China-China, Orgeat, Lime juice, Pineapple, Orchid
- The Sandcastle — Rum, Martinique Rum, Falernum, Pisco, Peychaud's Bitters, Watermelon juice, Lime juice
- Coal Train — Rye, Rhum Agricole, Crème de Banane, Amargo-Vallet, Lemon peel