Coruba is a brand of Jamaican rum owned by the J. Wray & Nephew company. It was developed for the New Zealand market, and was first exported there in 1967. It is distilled from molasses in a combination of pot and column stills, and aged in a solera system for at least two years.
Coruba is a complex rum blended from over thirty different producers. They make a wide range of rums, some of which are difficult to find. Their basic line is a dark rum that is aged in heavily charred barrels and has caramel coloring added to it, and a non-colored "Gold" version, which are both 80 proof. They also make a 148 proof "overproof" rum, and a 12, 18 and 25 year old expression. Finally, Coruba has branched out into flavored rums, with a spiced variation, mango, pineapple, and coconut.
The dark and gold versions of Coruba are great for mixing Tiki drinks.
Some popular cocktails containing Coruba
- The Naked Ape — Jamaican rum, Crème de Banane, Bitters, Lemon juice, Cinnamon syrup
- Tea and Krampus — Jamaican rum, Blackberry liqueur, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lime juice, Pineapple juice, Vanilla syrup, Nutmeg
- Teeth of the Puma — Jamaican rum, Allspice Dram, Bitters, Lime juice, Simple syrup
- Carreras Cup — Rum, Jamaican rum, Crème de Banane, Lime juice, Orgeat, Pineapple Gum Syrup, Salt Solution
- Blackbeard's Nephew — Overproof rum, Jamaican rum, Falernum, Apricot liqueur, Bitters, Passion fruit juice, Lemon juice, Simple syrup
- Christmas Island — Jamaican rum, Falernum, Bitters, Coconut cream, Don's Mix, Lime juice
- Eye of the Hurricane — Jamaican rum, Bitters, Navy strength rum, Passion fruit syrup, Lemon juice
- Jamaican Me Crazy — Rum, Falernum, Bitters, Lime juice, Lemon juice, Tangerine juice
- Dark Magic — Jamaican rum, Pastis, Bitters, Ice, Lime juice, Pineapple juice, Brown sugar coffee syrup, Passion fruit syrup, Vanilla syrup
- Spindletop Swizzle — Jamaican rum, Virgin Islands Rum, Falernum, Demerara Rum, Blackberry shrub, Lime juice, Mint